More Golf Course rumors

4,169 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BaylorHistory
CTbruin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This afternoon, I heard that the buyers of Bear Ridge were four individuals.....two local and two from Houston. That is not a new story. But I also heard from somebody that played Lake Waco yesterday that a staff member of the Lake told him that the City of Waco has bought Lake Waco.

Interesting.......
BaylorHistory
Wonder how a city owning a semi-private would work?
Bexar Pitts
CTbruin said:

This afternoon, I heard that the buyers of Bear Ridge were four individuals.....two local and two from Houston. That is not a new story. But I also heard from somebody that played Lake Waco yesterday that a staff member of the Lake told him that the City of Waco has bought Lake Waco.

Interesting.......
Interesting indeed. I had heard that the City was talking to the Lake several weeks ago.
southtexasbear
Actually went out and played The Lake on Sunday because so many were saying how bad.

It was not great. Carts were falling apart and I picked the one with the least torn up seat. I've played budget courses and it was what I expected. Budget. Parts of the greens dead.

But hey I only paid $17 for 9 holes for me and my daughter. Will I go back? Definitely.

baylor88bear
What do Battle Lake and Cottonwood cost these days?
BaylorHistory
baylor88bear said:

What do Battle Lake and Cottonwood cost these days?
Battle Lake:

2021 GREEN FEES
MONDAY - FRIDAY RATES

*Military & students must present ID*

Members $15
9 Holes $18
18 Holes $29
Walking $15
Twilight after 1pm $22
Military & Students $22
Seniors $20

WEEKEND RATES

*Military & students must present ID*
Members $16
9 Holes $22
18 Holes $40
Walking $23
Twilight after 2pm $30
Military & Students $30

Cottonwood:

Green Fees & Cart Fees
Weekday Green Fee: 18 Holes: $26 ($43 w/cart)
Weekday Green Fee: 9 Holes: $23 ($34 w/cart)
Weekday Twilight Fee: $23 ($34 w/cart)
Weekday Super Twilight: $16 ($24 w/cart)

Weekend Green Fee: 18 Holes: $34 ($51 w/cart)
Weekend Green Fee: 9 Holes: $28 ($39 w/cart)
Weekend Twilight Fee: $28 (39 w/cart)
Weekend Super Twilight: $19 ($27 w/cart)

Senior Rates (Monday through Friday) 55 & over: $20 ($33 w/cart)
Junior Green Fees: $18
Junior Course (Adults): $5
Junior Course (Juniors) : $2
*No carts for Junior Course, adults or juniors.

Cart Rentals
18 holes (per person): $17
9 holes (per person): $11

Memberships & Rates
Memberships: $700 (Individual), $600 (Senior) and $1,000 (Family)
Member's Weekday Green Fee: $13 ($25 w/cart)
Member's Weekend Green Fee: $14 ($26 w/cart)
Senior Member's Weekday Green Fee: $10 ($17 w/cart)
Senior Member's Weekend Green Fee: $14 ($26 w/cart)

Range Fees
Large Bucket: $10 (regular price), $7 (members)
Medium Bucket: $9 (regular price), $6 (members)
Small Bucket: $5 (regular price), $3 (members)

*Call (254) 745-6009 for information on special rates for school districts and colleges.
A meeting room is also available for rental in the Pro Shop.
baylor88bear
Thank you!
baylrballa
lake waco is a hell of a project to take on.
MrGolfguy
baylrballa said:

True, but its a really good design & layout, albeit short for today's standards. Add to that the great history with the former LPGA event and its worth saving. I've always really liked that course but the usually crappy conditions have kept me away.
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
Weston Rogers
baylrballa said:

Complete overhaul is required, but if you eliminated 9 of the Par 3 holes and reroute part of the main course/build a new clubhouse you can sell off some of the high ground(1-4 and 10-12) to developers to build houses to recoup some of the costs.
BamaGoose
First off, let me say: I don't know squat about Waco politics. But I often read posts on this site like: "rumor has it that City is buying...." Why are these things "rumored". Arent purchases like that subject to City Council discussion? I have been involved in several Municipal gold acquisitions and they always followed Council open discussion? Seems it must be different in Waco. Can someone clarify?
Bexar Pitts
Goose70 said:

First off, let me say: I don't know squat about Waco politics. But I often read posts on this site like: "rumor has it that City is buying...." Why are these things "rumored". Arent purchases like that subject to City Council discussion? I have been involved in several Municipal gold acquisitions and they always followed Council open discussion? Seems it must be different in Waco. Can someone clarify?
Goose, I'm not sure at what point in the process that the need for an agenda item is triggered. Preliminary discussion probably wouldn't require such, as they would not yet have reached actual purchase offer status.
BamaGoose
Thanks. I get it. Was confused by frequent posts saying "rumors are City has bought". Just curious. Thanks
Bexar Pitts
Goose70 said:

Thanks. I get it. Was confused by frequent posts saying "rumors are City has bought". Just curious. Thanks
That was just my thinking..not sure exactly what the process steps involve..
CTbruin
I don't remember city council pre approving purchase of Cottonwood. Maybe they did.
BamaGoose
CT, you ans Pitts know a helluva lot more about Waco Municipal process than I do, but would seem unusual to me that sonething like hhat gets done without considerable public discussion. I have been in middle of such proceedings myself and I just thought that was pretty customary. Like I said, I was just curious in view of some of the posts.
whitetrash
CTbruin said:

I don't remember city council pre approving purchase of Cottonwood. Maybe they did.
The city developed Cottonwood. VA was selling excess property on the backside of the VA hospital. City bought the land for purposes of developing a golf course, since the only muni in town at the time was James Connally (the old officer's club from AFB days). City contracted with American Golf to manage the facility; don't recall whether American Golf was also responsible for design/construction or not. Cottonwood opened in early 1985 IIRC.
Bexar Pitts
Goose70 said:

CT, you ans Pitts know a helluva lot more about Waco Municipal process than I do, but would seem unusual to me that sonething like hhat gets done without considerable public discussion. I have been in middle of such proceedings myself and I just thought that was pretty customary. Like I said, I was just curious in view of some of the posts.
Goose, I think "preliminary discussions" and "done" are two different animals. Please note that this thread used "Rumor" as a qualifier. If one was seriously interested, a call to the City Manager, your Council person or Mayor might be in order. They would be in a position to give you the most accurate information available.
BamaGoose
Gosh, Pitts, I assure you my level of interest falls far short of that required to call the city. I certainly know diff' between rumor and done deal. Most sweat. Hit 'em good. Keep it in the fairway. Have s good weekend.

PS: Pls keep in mind that 19th hole does not have to be played in sequence
Bexar Pitts
Goose70 said:

Gosh, Pitts, I assure you my level of interest falls far short of that required to call the city. I certainly know diff' between rumor and done deal. Most sweat. Hit 'em good. Keep it in the fairway. Have s good weekend.

PS: Pls keep in mind that 19th hole does not have to be played in sequence
Copy that, amigo! Hope you have a great 4th!
Volunteer
Public entities have the legal ability to use a closed session to discuss things like personnel, real estate transactions, and other matters. During these closed sessions, however, no decisions can be made. So, a council can discuss everything about the purchase of a golf course but may not vote on the matter. Voting to purchase the course (or not purchase) must be made in open session.

Covered in section 511 of the Texas Government Code
Volunteer
Bexar Pitts
Volunteer said:

Public entities have the legal ability to use a closed session to discuss things like personnel, real estate transactions, and other matters. During these closed sessions, however, no decisions can be made. So, a council can discuss everything about the purchase of a golf course but may not vote on the matter. Voting to purchase the course (or not purchase) must be made in open session.

Covered in section 511 of the Texas Government Code
Bingo! Thanks..
Swanni
I always thought the layout was awful. It's poorly maintained and needs to be redesigned. It's probably where the "cow pasture pool" comment originated. Awful course.
Swanni
BamaGoose
Swanni- my gosh, I dont want to be an a$$ but that post was so F-ing obvious. DUH. Thanks for enlightening all of us and saying it's in bad shape - no sh it! Thanks for the newscast!
Weston Rogers
Goose70 said:

Swanni- my gosh, I dont want to be an a$$ but that post was so F-ing obvious. DUH. Thanks for enlightening all of us and saying it's in bad shape - no sh it! Thanks for the newscast!

Well you keep coming across as an ass on every golf course thread. so maybe reassess your approach if you're not wanting to come across that way.
BamaGoose
Sorry you see it that way. I will be more cautious in abiding by the rules of your sand box.
Stranger
Goose70 said:

Sorry you see it that way. I will be more cautious in abiding by the rules of your sand box.

makes me wonder if you're really Waco1947
Weston Rogers
Goose70 said:

Lol okay pal, for a guy that keeps saying you're not that worried about Waco golf courses you are quick to jump in/on anyone who has a different opinion than you on the topic or doesn't give you all the information you want.
Stranger
Weston Rogers said:

Goose70 said:

Lol okay pal, for a guy that keeps saying you're not that worried about Waco golf courses you are quick to jump in/on anyone who has a different opinion than you on the topic or doesn't give you all the information you want.

Goose70=Golf God
BamaGoose
Guys, pull in your daggers. Geez. If you read my post on this thread I was reacting to a rumor that the city had bought the LW and I had questions about how that could be. CT and Pitts were found enough to weigh in with answers. You guys are being pretty petty. Lighten up and go play 9 to relieve some apparent tension.
BearlyHeardFrom
As a casual reader of this thread, you seem to be the only one that gets their panties in a bunch. You've got like 4 aggressively passively aggressive posts on this page alone. We all get it. You know stuff.
#LetsGoBrandon
BaylorHistory
BearlyHeardFrom said:

As a casual reader of this thread, you seem to be the only one that gets their panties in a bunch. You've got like 4 aggressively passively aggressive posts on this page alone. We all get it. You know stuff.
I'm pretty sure he's a bit.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.