Yes, another golf course update.......

3,499 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Camo08
CTbruin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It appears my rumor about the Lake selling to the city was inaccurate. In fact, the current owners apparently have decided to provide some much need repairs, etc. They have brought in several loads of sod and are trying to repair damage greens. Several greens are closed (temp greens) until repairs complete. Additionally, Larry Salters is back as pro. IMO, a very positive move.

And re: Bear Ridge - the City looks like the new owner if final "contract differences" can be worked out. That's today's rumor anyway.
Bexar Pitts
Thanks, CT..Always appreciate and enjoy your posts. One thing's for sure..All this rain will have fairways as green as they've been in July for quite some time! Enjoy!
CTbruin
Ridgewood is in great shape. No amount of lake water will ever match a good rain.
FirmBear24
Did the City Council approve the purchase of Bear Ridge?

Inquiring minds want to know.
boxster
Still think Magnolia should have bought Lake Waco, fixed it up a bit, and marketed Waco visits with Magnolia and the like for the women, golf for the men, then back together in the evening for a meal, a Baylor sporting event, a show, etc.
Baylor3216
CTbruin said:

Ridgewood is in great shape. No amount of lake water will ever match a good rain.

Ridge wood is about to (next year isle so once "fully funded") shut the whole course down for a year (ha sure) to replace the greens, etc.

What a catastrophe.
CTbruin
Baylor3216 said:

CTbruin said:

Ridge wood is about to (next year isle so once "fully funded") shut the whole course down for a year (ha sure) to replace the greens, etc.

What a catastrophe.

And after listening to the plan via the golf course architect, I whole heartedly voted for the plan. Replace the greens? No. Much more is involved. The course will undertake a much needed 30 year upgrade. Including green leveling where needed, re-routing cart paths, replacing aging algae invested ponds, adding new water hazareds (such as creeks on #9 and #11), removing, adding, improving sand traps and much more. If you attended one of the meetings explaining the "plan", IMO you would be hard pressed to vote against. Yes, at my 72 years of age, shutting the course down for a year will be difficult. But we will survive and RWCC with be much better for members and their successors.
MrGolfguy
Baylor3216 said:

CTbruin said:

What a catastrophe.
I guess Ridgewood members will be "slumming" at Cottonwood & Bear Ridge next year to get their golf fix.
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
Lund Vernquist
boxster said:

Still think Magnolia should have bought Lake Waco, fixed it up a bit, and marketed Waco visits with Magnolia and the like for the women, golf for the men, then back together in the evening for a meal, a Baylor sporting event, a show, etc.
Yep, seems like a no-brainer.
beerman
Baylor3216 said:

CTbruin said:

What a catastrophe.

You clearly don't understand the entirety of the project or anything about the life-span of a course. Shutting a golf course down to do work of this scope is well within the norm. Perhaps you should get your facts before you post.

Remodels are not about you or me, as CT correctly pointed out, they are typically about the next generation. The truth is the that the current members at Ridgewood are paying it forward.
CTbruin
Well said
toughbear
nice thought but do millennials really deserve it?
trey3216
toughbear said:

nice thought but do millennials really deserve it?
they pay dues as well.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
tcbear
I am a member at Austin Country Club where the PGA plays the Dell Match play professional tournament. We closed down for 11 months a few years ago to redo our greens and fairways. It was not fun, but CT is right that all great courses have to do significant maintenance like that every few decades.
baylrballa
The generational difference in what RCC members want and expect from the club is pretty striking.

the shut down obviously isnt fun, but I'm pretty excited with some of the improvements/changes.
beerman
baylrballa said:

The generational difference in what RCC members want and expect from the club is pretty striking.

the shut down obviously isnt fun, but I'm pretty excited with some of the improvements/changes.

Young members typically want new. Older members typically want to kick the can down the road. That's obviously not the case all the time, but, that's pretty much private club mojo across the country.
Weston Rogers
Good news for Lake Waco is they're investing in new carts, should take delivery this week. Badly needed as their current fleet is all worn out, and hopefully this along with resodding some greens means they'll continue to make an investment in the course to bring it up to playable standards for most golfers.
Camo08
Weston Rogers said:

Good news for Lake Waco is they're investing in new carts, should take delivery this week. Badly needed as their current fleet is all worn out.
Good. I'm tired of having to put my cigarettes out on swiss cheese-like seats.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.