Woodway

7,658 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by MrGolfguy
TenBears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If we're pondering returning to the greater Wack area, and our kids are gone, Is there any reason other than proximity to campus and downtown not to consider Woodway? It seems to have some great neighborhoods, with great lake views, is clean, etc. Wondering about hidden downsides. Particularly interested in the Hunters Mountain area.
MrGolfguy
Woodway homes are notorious for having foundation problems; lots of 'cracked up' houses out there.
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
whitetrash
You're paying taxes for The advantages of being in midway isd, so factor that into the equation. Plus the fact that even as more growth heads west, there are only 2 roads out of Woodway into Waco: Bosque and 84 (which is one more than comes in from China Spring).
CTbruin
MrGolfguy said:

Woodway homes are notorious for having foundation problems; lots of 'cracked up' houses out there.

Disagree. I have lived in Woodway most of my life. The areas with foundation issues are small. A decent realtor can tell you the few areas to stay away from. Or send me a PM and I will be happy to assist.
FirmBear24
I've also lived in Woodway much of my life. Great place to raise a family. Slow Rise, George's 2, 135 Prime, HEB, Midway, etc. all have help to make it even better.
PartyBear
Now there is that small out door mall type development at about the Ritchie exit off of 84. I believe Union Station as is downtown is planned to be duplicated there.
CammoTX
MrGolfguy said:

Half of the homes in Houston are notorious for having foundation problems; lots of 'cracked up' houses out there.

FIFY
FirmBear24
PartyBear said:

Now there is that small out door mall type development at about the Ritchie exit off of 84. I believe Union Station as is downtown is planned to be duplicated there.

The new Union Hall will be closer the slow rise in a building previously occupied by a backyard store . The Outpost(?) development off Ritchie currently has Heritage Creamery, a nail salon (of course), a hot worx, and a smal shop. The rest is unoccupied.
Coke Bear
CTbruin said:

MrGolfguy said:

Disagree. I have lived in Woodway most of my life. The areas with foundation issues are small. A decent realtor can tell you the few areas to stay away from. Or send me a PM and I will be happy to assist.
This. The foundation issues that happen are on the other side of Bosque toward the former Western Ridge golf course. My dad's home is in the heart of Woodway and has no issues.

The only caveat to buying in Woodway now is the home values are probably the highest in Waco, save the 84 corridor (Hidden Valley, Stone Creek, Harris Creek, etc.) They may recede some at the end of the year. Currently, some are asking for $200/SF in those areas.

Having said that, Midway will eventually build a new high school along the 84 corridor. When they do, it will most likely split either at HEB area or HWY 84. It will ultimately cause a greater valuation to Woodway and a more stable growth to stall in the Hewitt area.
BaylorHistory
Would Viking Hills be a better options without kids? We liked a couple houses over there last time we were house hunting. It felt very Woodway without Woodway prices.
Mr Tulip
Moved to Woodway in 1978. Mom still lives there.

Really, "Woodway" is kind of a broad term encompassing the lots near Sanger/Delhi that are normal 1960's style ranch home all the way to the subdivisions out near 84 and McGregor that hit multiple million dollar estates. Not sure what you have in mind.

The Woodway Public Safety guys are the best in the business. Professional, quick, and well trained. You won't find a safer, more well provisioned unit anywhere.

Since I can drive to just about any place in Waco from Woodway in around 15 minutes max, saying you're "close to" anything is kind of relative. You're close to everything everywhere.

I don't think Woodway has ambitions of grandeur. They're mostly wealthier than average (from a little to a lot), mostly older (retired), and mostly quiet. You'll pay a premium to live there because all the retirees like it there, too.

Mostly steep hills and a lot of trees. If you want excitement or entertainment, you'll have to leave your neighborhood. It's quiet and boring, because that's the way the people who live there want it.
loanbear
Mr Tulip said:

The Woodway Public Safety guys are the best in the business. Professional, quick, and well trained. You won't find a safer, more well provisioned unit anywhere.

This. Used to live in Badger Ranch and I swear a police car drove by every hour on patrol. They also have a SWAT team which is insane for a city that small. Very safe place to live. Once you venture over Highway 6 towards downtown, the most of the city is "pocketed". What I mean by that is that there are pockets of great homes and neighborhoods but they are then bordered by not so great places. Just depends on what you are looking for.
MrGolfguy
CTbruin said:

MrGolfguy said:

UWoodway homes are notorious for having foundation problems; lots of 'cracked up' houses out there.

Disagree with your disagreement. I lived in Woodway over 20 years and family still has property out there. There are plenty of foundation issues in Woodway (also have a Waco realtor in the family). The most notorious area in & around Waco for foundation issues is Woodway.
CTbruin
And where exactly in Woodway are your foundation issues?

I have lived in six different houses in Woodway. Never a foundation issue.
Coyote Bear
Badger Ranch is a great place to be.
Coke Bear
loanbear said:

Mr Tulip said:

This. Used to live in Badger Ranch and I swear a police car drove by every hour on patrol. They also have a SWAT team which is insane for a city that small. Very safe place to live. Once you venture over Highway 6 towards downtown, the most of the city is "pocketed". What I mean by that is that there are pockets of great homes and neighborhoods but they are then bordered by not so great places. Just depends on what you are looking for.

Agree RE - WPD.

Say what you want about Zak before he resigned; he completely built WPD to what it is today. Back in the day, all officers were dual trained in fire rescue. They have a 4-story ladder truck (paid for - I believe with 9-11 funds) even though there was no immediate need for it. They have two SWAT vehicles (although one is about 20 years old now). Most officers are trained for SWAT, as well. Their SWAT team responds calls over over greater Waco.

They still have never had a murder in the city limits.
Mr Tulip
They recently replaced that ladder truck. Donated it to MCC's fire training program. Originally, that truck was purchased with assistance from a medical company wanting to build a 4 story building in Woodway. Part of the condition was that they'd need to throw in for a fire truck to service the building. They did, but then decided to build elsewhere. Taking it out to the Hollywood Movie Theater around 3am on Sundays to test the ladder and other eq was neat looking!

Woodway Public Safety are all cross trained as Police and Firefighters. They're technically "public safety" and not "police" because of that. Many also have paramedic training as well. They maintain a high visibility because the citizenry wants it that way. They stop everybody for everything, but are professional and non-discriminatory. They rarely write citations. They'll be at your door inside of 3 minutes if you call.

The SWAT team incorporates officers from several parts of the area. They represent many different disciplines from sharpshooting, negotiation, to medical response. The armored vehicle was a bit of a sore subject, since it would frequently break down on the way to a call and get towed off. They've probably fixed that problem, though! =)

MrGolfguy
CTbruin said:

Southwood, Wedgewood, Fairway, Arliss, Gaywood, Rio Vista, Forrest Ridge, Sierra, Valley Ridge, Woodland West, Knotty Oaks, Western Oaks, Briargrove, Greenbranch, Wood Valley, Oak Hollow

Like I said it's everywhere
trey3216
MrGolfguy said:

CTbruin said:

Southwood, Wedgewood, Fairway, Arliss, Gaywood, Rio Vista, Forrest Ridge, Sierra, Valley Ridge, Woodland West, Knotty Oaks, Western Oaks, Briargrove, Greenbranch, Wood Valley, Oak Hollow

The greater Waco area has bad foundation issues considering much of it runs along an inactive fault line coupled with sedimentary limestone atop clay.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Showtime
It actually wasn't the ladder truck that was donated unless they've donated 2 firetrucks to MCC. I only know that because the one they donated was one I have a small connection with.

https://wacotrib.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/woodway-donates-firetruck-to-mcc-fire-academy/article_2e500df8-d469-11eb-97d0-970d245a825a.html
Coke Bear
Thanks for the clarification on the fire trucks and Public Safety. I knew typing it looked incorrect. My cousin's husband started with them 20+ years ago and thanks to Zak resigning, he is now number 2 in the department.

Mr Tulip said:

They stop everybody for everything, but are professional and non-discriminatory. They rarely write citations. They'll be at your door inside of 3 minutes if you call.

My teenage self, friends and I would completely disagree with this statement. Of course , we were teens and probably deserved it. I think I paid for a few light bars and radios for them when I was in school.

My BIL would also disagree. When he was dating my sister, he was pulled over countless times on the way over to our house. Thinking about it now, my dad was on the City Council and Zak lived on the street behind us. Hmm?

My BIL got the last laugh, he bought a house on the same street as my dad. He still hates them 30 years later.

trey3216
Mr Tulip said:

They recently replaced that ladder truck. Donated it to MCC's fire training program. Originally, that truck was purchased with assistance from a medical company wanting to build a 4 story building in Woodway. Part of the condition was that they'd need to throw in for a fire truck to service the building. They did, but then decided to build elsewhere. Taking it out to the Hollywood Movie Theater around 3am on Sundays to test the ladder and other eq was neat looking!

Woodway Public Safety are all cross trained as Police and Firefighters. They're technically "public safety" and not "police" because of that. Many also have paramedic training as well. They maintain a high visibility because the citizenry wants it that way. They stop everybody for everything, but are professional and non-discriminatory. They rarely write citations. They'll be at your door inside of 3 minutes if you call.

The SWAT team incorporates officers from several parts of the area. They represent many different disciplines from sharpshooting, negotiation, to medical response. The armored vehicle was a bit of a sore subject, since it would frequently break down on the way to a call and get towed off. They've probably fixed that problem, though! =)

I vehemently disagree with that
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
CTbruin
MrGolfguy said:

CTbruin said:

And those are streets on the lake side of Bosque or "old." Woodway. Used to be called Westwood. I was aware of problems in those areas.

The newer sections of Woodway have fewer issues.
Mr Tulip
Showtime said:

It actually wasn't the ladder truck that was donated unless they've donated 2 firetrucks to MCC. I only know that because the one they donated was one I have a small connection with.

https://wacotrib.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/woodway-donates-firetruck-to-mcc-fire-academy/article_2e500df8-d469-11eb-97d0-970d245a825a.html
You're right, of course. I saw the lime green paint in the picture and immediately thought it was L2.
Mr Tulip
Coke Bear said:

Thanks for the clarification on the fire trucks and Public Safety. I knew typing it looked incorrect. My cousin's husband started with them 20+ years ago and thanks to Zak resigning, he is now number 2 in the department.

Mr Tulip said:

They stop everybody for everything, but are professional and non-discriminatory. They rarely write citations. They'll be at your door inside of 3 minutes if you call.

My teenage self, friends and I would completely disagree with this statement. Of course , we were teens and probably deserved it. I think I paid for a few light bars and radios for them when I was in school.

My BIL would also disagree. When he was dating my sister, he was pulled over countless times on the way over to our house. Thinking about it now, my dad was on the City Council and Zak lived on the street behind us. Hmm?

My BIL got the last laugh, he bought a house on the same street as my dad. He still hates them 30 years later.

Can't remember who's backing up Brett. Khalil, Todd, and Nolan are all really great officers and human beings. Being law enforcement in Woodway means you're not going to spend your days chasing the bad guys Beretta style through the alleys or getting into shoot-em-ups. However, when I asked them why they started their careers, to a person they answered, "I wanted to help people".

Yeah, I was a teenager in Woodway in the 80's. I did my best to provoke and annoy and generally rebel (still do, more or less, but rebellion at 50 looks different than at 16). A knack for knowing where the brush holes were off Rio Vista near Bosque and a smooth talking style kept my record clean. I mostly learned to be somewhere else when causing trouble.

The frosty glass of memory has probably sanitized a lot of it, though!
Liteitup
We used to leave beer in the (fake locked) Reddy ice machine at the 7-11 for one of the officers that got off after midnight, name escapes me at the moment. That's the 7-11 on Estates next to Midway Pharmacy.

Bexar Pitts
CTbruin said:

MrGolfguy said:

CTbruin said:

And those are streets on the lake side of Bosque or "old." Woodway. Used to be called Westwood. I was aware of problems in those areas.

You are spot on regarding the "lake side" of Bosque. An arm of the Balcones Fault zone runs from the South Bosque area around the lake to MCC..It's outlined by the cliffs.I can remember the Corps building the new Lake Waco Dam right over an area of the fault, and it partially collapsed and had to be redone. Dr. Morales , one of my Geology profs at Baylor, took our class on a field trip out Bosque Blvd through Woodway in early 70's and pointed out all the "fingers" of the fault and all the houses that had been built with very little regard to the geologic 'chemistry" of the area. Some of the houses were directly bordering Bosque, and had huge cracks. You could see the damage done to streets, curbs, and gutters down through the years in that area. I've played a ton of golf at Woodland West ( Western Oaks, Heather Run) and driving to the course down Western Oaks was interesting. I'm sure that fingers of the fault affected some Woodway residents outside this zone, but I do believe for the most part ,the major ground shifting occurred in this area between Bosque and the Lake.
MrGolfguy
CTbruin said:

MrGolfguy said:

CTbruin said:

Woodway is Woodway. Thanks for finally admitting that i've been right all along - Woodway is known for having homes with foundation issues.
CTbruin
What you have against Woodway is puzzling. It's one the most desired places to live in the greater Waco area. Many great homes and neighborhoods. I lived there most of my life and would not trade it.

Oh yeah, the lake side of Bosque is not considered Woodway by most. It's Waco.probably because Waco ISD
MrGolfguy
What in the world are you talking about? All i did was answer the OP with a simple truthful statement. You're the one that made this a debacle.
forza orsi
MrGolfguy said:

CTbruin said:

MrGolfguy said:

CTbruin said:

Woodway is Woodway. Thanks for finally admitting that i've been right all along - Woodway is known for having homes with foundation issues.
"All over" seems like it's "all over" a small area. Those streets are all close together. You're not accurate as to most of Woodway. And most foundations built after 1990 are engineered in accordance with the escarpment ordinance put in place in the late 1980s to avoid another Woodland West area. If you stay away from the small area you cite and have a decent builder and engineer, it's no problem.
4th and Inches
No kids? Get a house in waco proper for more value per sq ft. Taxes are better and you get a great house where the group of buyers seeking these homes are smaller due to the school system. The houses in woodway that are in midway school district sell much higher than similar size and level of renovation to woodway homes in WISD.
TenBears
Good points. We drove up to Riverview Drive today. 0 for sale, but spectacular views.
MrGolfguy
forza orsi said:

MrGolfguy said:

CTbruin said:

MrGolfguy said:

CTbruin said:

"All over" seems like it's "all over" a small area. Those streets are all close together. You're not accurate as to most of Woodway. And most foundations built after 1990 are engineered in accordance with the escarpment ordinance put in place in the late 1980s to avoid another Woodland West area. If you stay away from the small area you cite and have a decent builder and engineer, it's no problem.
First, i never said all over so please don't quote me like i did. Second, you have a funny definition of small area. The distance from Southwood/Wedgewood to Oak Hollow is probably 2 miles; they are far apart, not near to being in the same small area. Completely different areas & neighborhoods.
forza orsi
MrGolfguy said:

forza orsi said:

MrGolfguy said:

CTbruin said:

MrGolfguy said:

CTbruin said:

First, i never said all over so please don't quote me like i did. Second, you have a funny definition of small area. The distance from Southwood/Wedgewood to Oak Hollow is probably 2 miles; they are far apart, not near to being in the same small area. Completely different areas & neighborhoods.

I apologize. You didn't say "all over." You said "everywhere." My mistake. I shouldn't have worked from memory. You win. Well done.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.