Best school districts in the Waco area?

11,739 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cowboycwr
Jackson Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
RightRevBear said:

As several people have said it depends on your kid. Some kids thrive in large schools and others don't. Several good districts have been named including Midway, China Spring, Lorena, etc. Find the one that fits your kid(s) best that you can afford to live in.

We are moving to Waco this summer. My wife got a job at Baylor. My son is in orchestra and is on the middle school golf team in Belton ISD. For him to continue these the only good option is Midway, and he is already thriving in a large school.

We are considering Vanguard. It is the best school academically in Waco. It also offers orchestra and golf, but the cost might be prohibitive.

Don't be intimidated by the sticker price of Vanguard. They have a very good financial aid program. Many students have received help. Always apply and see how they can help you.
Robert Wilson
jdub_316 said:

Isn't Mart technically in McLennan County? Small class sizes with friendly people and about to win another state football title. Not sure about dual credit, but you could easily do a zero hour class at MCC and be back at Mart High School in no time. I did not go to Mart but my younger brother did.
Mart would be an interesting choice if you had a kid who was really into athletics and wanted to play multiple sports. If it's a boy, he'd better be a baller. Even though that's a small school, they're always loaded with talent. No reason to think their string of state championships under Hoffman is going to end anytime soon. But it's a community with more lower income folks, and that brings lower educational performance on the whole. Doesn't mean a kid can't go there and do great - I'm sure many do. They seem to have a good community with a racial and socioeconomic mix - a kid would learn a lot growing up in that. There's also an issue of finding housing stock in that part of the county depending on what you're looking for.
BUAlum97
This is all great information! I'm in education and moving back to the area soonthis helps in my job search. I am a Robinson alum, but I have noticed that it is no longer the same Robinson of the late 80s/90s. Those were the golden years, great academics, sports, fine arts. I have family at almost all the different school districts in the area and by far Lorena and Midway lead the pack.
2023 Adopt-a-Bear: Trey Wilson #91
Freshman, DL, Garland, TX

Tackles: 3
Assists: 2
Sacks: 1
Interceptions:
Blocks: 1
cowboycwr
Many have already mentioned the multiple sport benefit of some of the smaller schools. Lorena has had lots of good athletes the last 15+ years and is playing in the state championship for football next week. They are in 3A (one of the largest, if not the largest).
Griz
Yes, but competed very well for quite a number of years in 4A as one of the smallest.
sipembeers
cowboycwr said:

Many have already mentioned the multiple sport benefit of some of the smaller schools. Lorena has had lots of good athletes the last 15+ years and is playing in the state championship for football next week. They are in 3A (one of the largest, if not the largest).

Base on the most recent UIL numbers, Lorena only has 515 in their high school. For comparison, China spring has 905. Lorena is moving to big 3A from small this next realignment.
CTbruin
There are hundreds of new homes being built in Lorena ISD. Maybe more. They will be moving up soon.
Coke Bear
sipembeers said:

cowboycwr said:

Base on the most recent UIL numbers, Lorena only has 515 in their high school. For comparison, China spring has 905. Lorena is moving to big 3A from small this next realignment.
I believe that we (Lorena) are already big 3A. Lorena had a great deal of success locally as the smallest 4A.
cowboycwr
sipembeers said:

cowboycwr said:

They moved with the last realignment
sipembeers
You're right. For some reason I was thinking y'all were small and Franklin was big.
1outawayBear
sipembeers said:

You're right. For some reason I was thinking y'all were small and Franklin was big.

Well they are bigger than Lorena. But there are no 5a schools in Waco area to my knowledge. It goes from 2-4a to 6a
hill02
Correct but for the new round both University and Waco High are 5A.
Robert Wilson
hill02 said:

Correct but for the new round both University and Waco High are 5A.

University was already 5A, no?

Good for Waco high. That will be a relief. Waco never should've moved up, smallest 6A school in the state including counting alternative campuses.

They is still talent there to win. But a lot to overcome. Possibly doable at the 5A level. But not in that meat grinder district they were in.

Hopefully midway slides back down south?
T-REX
Stay away from LA Vega...... as an alum, **** that place. Thankfully I took care of my grades and could go to any school in Texas I wanted to. When I went they only offered like 3 dual credit options and no AP courses but still offered pre-AP which made no sense. I coasted most of time, rarely had home work since I just did the work in class, graduated #8 in my class. Had I even tried I would have been #1. I heard they offer a lot more dual credit options now but the school is still a super low income school with terrible discipline issues, although always had wisdom kids transfer cuz it was somehow better lol. Athletics are good but your still dealing with discipline issues that lose games between the lines if you know what I mean. Also unless you live off of Orchard Ln area in timbercrest or the newish division off of the loop, then you likely are living in bellmead which is a **** hole. But I guess u can have a cheap mortgage lol. Thankfully we lived in Waco but unfortunately the district stretches and grabbed us. I regret every second I spent at LA vega & I know it's only gotten worse. Thank God my mom just retired from there. I'm ashamed to even have it on my resume as my high school
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
FeralBear
Based on your list, I would recommend Lorena.

This discussion has me wondering what's considered "Waco area schools". Is it a certain distance from downtown? Does it have to be in McLennan County?

Below I've composed a list of Waco area schools. I think there are 5-15 other public schools that could be considered. I could also see some people removing about ten of these.

6A:
Midway
Waco

5A:
University

4A:
China Spring
La Vega
Robinson
Connally

3A:
Lorena
McGregor
West
Riesel
Troy

2A:
Crawford
Bosqueville
Axtell
Moody
Rapoport
Valley Mills
Bruceville-Eddy
Rosebud-Lott
Mart
Chilton

1A:
Abbott
Gholson
Oglesby
FeralBear
Based on the above list of Waco area schools,

I'd recommend

Midway if you want a big school

Lorena or China Spring if you want a medium school

Abbott or Crawford if you want a small school
RightRevBear
FeralBear said:

Based on your list, I would recommend Lorena.

This discussion has me wondering what's considered "Waco area schools". Is it a certain distance from downtown? Does it have to be in McLennan County?

Below I've composed a list of Waco area schools. I think there are 5-15 other public schools that could be considered. I could also see some people removing about ten of these.

6A:
Midway
Waco

5A:
University

4A:
China Spring
La Vega
Robinson
Connally

3A:
Lorena
McGregor
West
Riesel
Troy

2A:
Crawford
Bosqueville
Axtell
Moody
Rapoport
Valley Mills
Bruceville-Eddy
Rosebud-Lott
Mart
Chilton

1A:
Abbott
Gholson
Oglesby

I guess I will be the first that removes one. Troy is a Temple area school, not Waco.
forza orsi
MrGolfguy said:

cowboycwr said:

MrGolfguy said:

cowboycwr said:

MrGolfguy said:

cowboycwr said:

bubear20 said:

Stay away from Waco ISD

^^Bad Take. Waco has some really great opportunities that will only continue to get better as the tax base grows in Waco proper
Waco ISD is trash.
Trash? Really? That's rather harsh. For the record Midway ISD has a lot of the same problems but it all just gets swept under the rug out there. One of the biggest myths around Waco is that Midway ISD is some wonderful utopia that's all sunshine & happiness. Bullsh:t; Midway is a hellhole when you take an honest look at it.
I never said a thing about Midway.

yes trash.

But no Midway does not have almost daily fights.

Graduation rates are not close to each other.

STAAR scores are horrible.

Weed smoking superintendent.

So yeah what I said is true.
What about a student stabbing another student during lunch, or a teacher having an improper relationship with a student? Both of those have happened at Midway. Plus a lot more that just gets swept under the rug.
OK.

Again I said nothing about Midway initially. I was talking about WISD and you brought up midway.

Clearly you don't like Midway.

We get it.

But don't try to pretend that even with the things "swept" under the rug at Midway make it anywhere close to the trash that is wisd.
Midway ISD is trash if Waco ISD is. And you clearly don't like WISD. I just don't believe the myth that Midway is some utopian paradise that doesn't have problems. It has just as many as any large school district. Turning a blind eye to all Midway's problems doesn't mean they don't exist. Again, take an honest look at MISD and you'll see a hellhole.

Midway isn't perfect, but hellhole is not accurate. There are a lot of opportunities for a really good education. The AP classes are really good. Both my kids graduated from Midway with enough AP credit to be 6 hours short of their junior year in college. With the cost of college these days, that's huge. My kids had a good experience, got a good education, and I got almost two years of free college out of it.
MrGolfguy
forza orsi said:

MrGolfguy said:

cowboycwr said:

MrGolfguy said:

cowboycwr said:

MrGolfguy said:

cowboycwr said:

bubear20 said:

Stay away from Waco ISD

^^Bad Take. Waco has some really great opportunities that will only continue to get better as the tax base grows in Waco proper
Waco ISD is trash.
Trash? Really? That's rather harsh. For the record Midway ISD has a lot of the same problems but it all just gets swept under the rug out there. One of the biggest myths around Waco is that Midway ISD is some wonderful utopia that's all sunshine & happiness. Bullsh:t; Midway is a hellhole when you take an honest look at it.

yes trash.

What about a student stabbing another student during lunch, or a teacher having an improper relationship with a student? Both of those have happened at Midway. Plus a lot more that just gets swept under the rug.
OK.

Again I said nothing about Midway initially. I was talking about WISD and you brought up midway.

We get it.

But don't try to pretend that even with the things "swept" under the rug at Midway make it anywhere close to the trash that is wisd.
Midway ISD is trash if Waco ISD is. And you clearly don't like WISD. I just don't believe the myth that Midway is some utopian paradise that doesn't have problems. It has just as many as any large school district. Turning a blind eye to all Midway's problems doesn't mean they don't exist. Again, take an honest look at MISD and you'll see a hellhole.

Midway isn't perfect, but hellhole is not accurate
In response to the dumbass who kept pounding the Waco ISD is trash nonsense. If he can dish it out he should be able to take it.
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
cowboycwr
MrGolfguy said:

forza orsi said:

MrGolfguy said:

cowboycwr said:

MrGolfguy said:

cowboycwr said:

MrGolfguy said:

cowboycwr said:

bubear20 said:

Stay away from Waco ISD

Waco ISD is trash.

yes trash.

OK.

We get it.

Midway isn't perfect, but hellhole is not accurate
In response to the dumbass who kept pounding the Waco ISD is trash nonsense. If he can dish it out he should be able to take it.

Lol. We get it internet tough guy. MISD somehow hurt you. Show us on the doll where MIdway hurt you.

Midway had problems, like any school district, but it is no where near the level of bad that Waco isd is.
MrGolfguy
Midway didn't hurt me, the place is just a hellhole. People like me that can take an honest look at the place know this to be fact.
Now, why don't you tell the parents of the student sexually assaulted by a teacher at Midway to show you on the doll where he hurt their child. See if they think "LOL" is appropriate. In other words, shut up dumbass. You have no clue. None.
cowboycwr
MrGolfguy said:

Midway didn't hurt me, the place is just a hellhole. People like me that can take an honest look at the place know this to be fact.
Now, why don't you tell the parents of the student sexually assaulted by a teacher at Midway to show you on the doll where he hurt their child. See if they think "LOL" is appropriate. In other words, shut up dumbass. You have no clue. None.
And as I have pointed out that has happened at other school districts as well. Including Lorena, WISD, and others.

Sorry but you are the one with no clue.

And no I won't shut up. And come call me that to my face.
MrGolfguy
Just tell me where to go tough guy
SteamedHams
MrGolfguy said:

MrGolfguy
Again, the fact that you think this is funny is sickening
cowboycwr
MrGolfguy said:

LOL. Are you 12? I'm surprised you didn't say the playground after school.

You wouldn't show up anyways.
SoonerFrogs
Midway is a dump. So is Waco. Congrats.
MrGolfguy
cowboycwr said:

MrGolfguy said:

LOL. Are you 12?
Still think it's funny- disgusting. You should really seek professional help.
cowboycwr
MrGolfguy said:

cowboycwr said:

MrGolfguy said:

LOL. Are you 12?
Still think it's funny- disgusting. You should really seek professional help.
LOL. I think you are funny. I have never said the one situation you mentioned was funny. I have only pointed out it happens at other districts and that does not make the entire district trash. Clearly you are the one who needs help. You are fixated on one district but fail to see the issues at other districts, call names like a 12 year old, and can't let things go.

Lorena had a teacher sleep with a student. Does that make their district trash?

MrGolfguy
cowboycwr said:

MrGolfguy said:

And come call me that to my face.
Still waiting Mr. ToughGuy; or are you going to continue to ignore me?

cowboycwr
MrGolfguy said:

cowboycwr said:

MrGolfguy said:

And come call me that to my face.
Still waiting Mr. ToughGuy; or are you going to continue to ignore me?

You are the one being the internet tough guy. If you really want name a place.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.