Best school districts in the Waco area?

11,823 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cowboycwr
BaylorHistory
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SteamedHams said:

I taught at UHS and at MHS, both within the last few years, and I would prefer my kids attend a small vocational welding school on the darkside of the moon then allow them to attend University High. I can't speak to Waco High personally, although I know we had a ton of WHS ex-pats at UHS who were elated to get out of there and over to UHS, so I can't even imagine, but having then taught at Midway, it was a dream in comparison. Waco ISD, at least in the older grades, is much more a survive-and-move-along attitude. "Hey, 53% is like passing, and they only missed 17 classes this semester, so a 53 is pretty good considering, we don't have space if they don't get this credit, so pass 'em and just move along". That was the case over...and over...and over.

There was zero recourse or discipline in WISD. Think about it, you are in a class and you tell your teacher to F-off, or steal a computer, or get in a fight. Or all of the above. In-school suspension? Likely don't have the space for it. Call parents? Good luck getting ahold of them, most of the numbers I called ended up just being the phone for Marshalls or Home Depot or City of Waco, totally bogus. And even if you do, it changes nothing. Out of school suspension? Great, no school! Alternative school? Sorry, can't, beyond capacity. And then there is zero hope to make up work if they are suspended.

So, you are told "dude, I know that kid just broke that girl's jaw and also left his weed in the art room, but we don't have anywhere to put him and we can't expel him because we need the state funding per enrolled student...so...just deal it, ok?" -- and then imagine having 6-7 classes of 35+ kids in that environment, with zero administrative support. I dealt with zero of that at Midway. Sure, it's not perfect, but Waco ISD is an absolute nightmarish affair. I can't speak to the elementary levels, but anything from Middle School and up, good luck.
My wife graduated from UHS 7 or 8 years ago and all of her friends were in AP classes together and they all went on to be successful and graduate from 4 year schools. She teaches at a Waco ISD elementary school now and it had gotten so bad they were offering a free Masters if you taught in their school for 5 years. There are some crazy parents of course but the kids are just so far behind.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
cowboycwr
MrGolfguy said:

cowboycwr said:

bubear20 said:

Stay away from Waco ISD

^^Bad Take. Waco has some really great opportunities that will only continue to get better as the tax base grows in Waco proper
Waco ISD is trash.
Trash? Really? That's rather harsh. For the record Midway ISD has a lot of the same problems but it all just gets swept under the rug out there. One of the biggest myths around Waco is that Midway ISD is some wonderful utopia that's all sunshine & happiness. Bullsh:t; Midway is a hellhole when you take an honest look at it.
I never said a thing about Midway.

yes trash.

But no Midway does not have almost daily fights.

Graduation rates are not close to each other.

STAAR scores are horrible.

Weed smoking superintendent.

So yeah what I said is true.
cowboycwr
bubear20 said:

Have you worked in either district?

Also these days with college prices where they're at going in with two years knocked out of the way and an associates degree is a really positive thing, not to mention at Waco you don't have to pay for DC classes, whereas at Midway you do.
I never mentioned another district.

I also said nothing about getting college credit being bad. Just that the actual degree you get is not really sueful.

The benefits of getting college hours in high school (any high school) is extremely great and has been for decades.
SteamedHams
BaylorHistory said:

SteamedHams said:

I taught at UHS and at MHS, both within the last few years, and I would prefer my kids attend a small vocational welding school on the darkside of the moon then allow them to attend University High. I can't speak to Waco High personally, although I know we had a ton of WHS ex-pats at UHS who were elated to get out of there and over to UHS, so I can't even imagine, but having then taught at Midway, it was a dream in comparison. Waco ISD, at least in the older grades, is much more a survive-and-move-along attitude. "Hey, 53% is like passing, and they only missed 17 classes this semester, so a 53 is pretty good considering, we don't have space if they don't get this credit, so pass 'em and just move along". That was the case over...and over...and over.

There was zero recourse or discipline in WISD. Think about it, you are in a class and you tell your teacher to F-off, or steal a computer, or get in a fight. Or all of the above. In-school suspension? Likely don't have the space for it. Call parents? Good luck getting ahold of them, most of the numbers I called ended up just being the phone for Marshalls or Home Depot or City of Waco, totally bogus. And even if you do, it changes nothing. Out of school suspension? Great, no school! Alternative school? Sorry, can't, beyond capacity. And then there is zero hope to make up work if they are suspended.

So, you are told "dude, I know that kid just broke that girl's jaw and also left his weed in the art room, but we don't have anywhere to put him and we can't expel him because we need the state funding per enrolled student...so...just deal it, ok?" -- and then imagine having 6-7 classes of 35+ kids in that environment, with zero administrative support. I dealt with zero of that at Midway. Sure, it's not perfect, but Waco ISD is an absolute nightmarish affair. I can't speak to the elementary levels, but anything from Middle School and up, good luck.
My wife graduated from UHS 7 or 8 years ago and all of her friends were in AP classes together and they all went on to be successful and graduate from 4 year schools. She teaches at a Waco ISD elementary school now and it had gotten so bad they were offering a free Masters if you taught in their school for 5 years. There are some crazy parents of course but the kids are just so far behind.
I was at UHS from 11-13, so its entirely possible I could have taught your wife. There were no doubt tons of great kids there, who have gone on to incredible things. And because of the tuition remission options for Baylor fac/staff, there are plenty of kids at UHS who slide right into Baylor life w/ aplomb and just crush it.

However, whereas I might run into 2, maaaaaaybe 3 serious behavioral issues at Midway during the course of a semester, it would be closer to 20-25 at UHS. And like you said, this was definitely teaching the gen-pop students, I did not teach any AP/Honors courses. My wife taught two AP classes but the rest of hers were all gen-pop and she had even worse problems than I did. We couldn't get out of there fast enough. It was so sad when we accepted contracts at Midway because we felt like we were leaving our fellow UHS teachers behind to fend for themselves. While I applaud many of the Waco ISD teachers who have been there for the long haul, and many of them are absolute SAINTS, there is another sizable population that clearly have given up on trying to maintain a productive classroom and are only there to survive, get their paycheck and go home.
1outawayBear
is MISD going to build a second high school as rumored? would take the size issue down a bit. hoping they do build one in woodway..
MrGolfguy
cowboycwr said:

MrGolfguy said:

cowboycwr said:

bubear20 said:

Stay away from Waco ISD

^^Bad Take. Waco has some really great opportunities that will only continue to get better as the tax base grows in Waco proper
Waco ISD is trash.
Trash? Really? That's rather harsh. For the record Midway ISD has a lot of the same problems but it all just gets swept under the rug out there. One of the biggest myths around Waco is that Midway ISD is some wonderful utopia that's all sunshine & happiness. Bullsh:t; Midway is a hellhole when you take an honest look at it.

yes trash.

What about a student stabbing another student during lunch, or a teacher having an improper relationship with a student? Both of those have happened at Midway. Plus a lot more that just gets swept under the rug.
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
Weston Rogers
1outawayBear said:

is MISD going to build a second high school as rumored? would take the size issue down a bit. hoping they do build one in woodway..
If they're smart they do it to get out of 6A.
cowboycwr
MrGolfguy said:

cowboycwr said:

MrGolfguy said:

cowboycwr said:

bubear20 said:

Stay away from Waco ISD

Waco ISD is trash.

yes trash.

What about a student stabbing another student during lunch, or a teacher having an improper relationship with a student? Both of those have happened at Midway. Plus a lot more that just gets swept under the rug.
OK.

Again I said nothing about Midway initially. I was talking about WISD and you brought up midway.

Clearly you don't like Midway.

We get it.

But don't try to pretend that even with the things "swept" under the rug at Midway make it anywhere close to the trash that is wisd.
MrGolfguy
cowboycwr said:

MrGolfguy said:

cowboycwr said:

MrGolfguy said:

cowboycwr said:

bubear20 said:

Stay away from Waco ISD

Waco ISD is trash.

yes trash.

OK.

Again I said nothing about Midway initially. I was talking about WISD and you brought up midway.

We get it.

But don't try to pretend that even with the things "swept" under the rug at Midway make it anywhere close to the trash that is wisd.
Midway ISD is trash if Waco ISD is. And you clearly don't like WISD. I just don't believe the myth that Midway is some utopian paradise that doesn't have problems. It has just as many as any large school district. Turning a blind eye to all Midway's problems doesn't mean they don't exist. Again, take an honest look at MISD and you'll see a hellhole.
cowboycwr
MrGolfguy said:

cowboycwr said:

MrGolfguy said:

cowboycwr said:

MrGolfguy said:

cowboycwr said:

bubear20 said:

Stay away from Waco ISD

Waco ISD is trash.

yes trash.

OK.

We get it.

Midway ISD is trash if Waco ISD is. And you clearly don't like WISD. I just don't believe the myth that Midway is some utopian paradise that doesn't have problems. It has just as many as any large school district. Turning a blind eye to all Midway's problems doesn't mean they don't exist. Again, take an honest look at MISD and you'll see a hellhole.

Lol ok.

I have nothing against wisd. I just don't think that they are a good district. You don't have 5 schools rated Improvement Required and in danger of the state taking them over in a good district. Wisd has a great top 10% of students, DC and AP offerings. But it doesn't make up for the rest.

I didn't bring up Midway. You did. Sure they have their problems but so do all districts. For example, you mentioned a teacher having a relationship with a student. That happened at Lorena. Does that make that district bad? Lorena also had a sub arrested last spring for touching a pre k student improperly. Again does that make the whole district bad? China spring had one of their coaches arrested in a prostitution sting. Those incidents don't make the district bad. It means the district had bad individuals and problems going on. But at the end no matter how you look at the data, facts and anecdotes midway is not AS bad as wisd.

MrGolfguy
When people talk about Waco ISD all they talk about is the bad and ignore the good. When people talk about Midway all they talk about is the good and ignore the bad. Why is that?
Robert Wilson
cowboycwr said:

China spring had one of their coaches arrested in a prostitution sting.
I got no dog in that fight, but it had nothing to do with any CS students or anything that ever happened regarding CS students. If you want to go around town throwing stones like that (XISD had an employee who committed a crime of moral turpitude), you will wear out your arm.
SteamedHams
MrGolfguy said:

When people talk about Waco ISD all they talk about is the bad and ignore the good. When people talk about Midway all they talk about is the good and ignore the bad. Why is that?

I worked for both districts for several years (recently, mind you), and there is absolutely no comparison, I would take Midway 10 times out of 10.
MrGolfguy
That's fantastic, it means absolutely nothing, but i'm happy you're gainfully employed.
SteamedHams
MrGolfguy said:

That's fantastic, it means absolutely nothing, but i'm happy you're gainfully employed.

Just trying to provide some perspective as someone who has been on the inside of both districts. I assume you have worked for both as well given the firmness of your convictions in the matter.
1outawayBear
SteamedHams said:

MrGolfguy said:

Just trying to provide some perspective as someone who has been on the inside of both districts. I assume you have worked for both as well given the firmness of your convictions in the matter.

My wife is wisd employee and will not let our child go to her school. She said she will switch to misd where our child will be zoned.

That poster has a serious boner against midway
Coke Bear
cowboycwr said:

I have nothing against wisd. I just don't think that they are a good district. You don't have 5 schools rated Improvement Required and in danger of the state taking them over in a good district. Wisd has a great top 10% of students, DC and AP offerings. But it doesn't make up for the rest.

Careful with the scores and ratings talk. Score there are clearly social-economically driven, in both schools.

Don't think for a second that one could swap teachers in a Midway and Waco elementary and they would be different. The scores would remain the same.

Having said that, my wife has taught in WISD and MISD. She has been in Lorena ISD (with our kids) for several years now. She'd choose Midway or Waco all day.

Nothing against WISD, we wouldn't put our kids there. Nothing against MISD (Class of '88 here), we choose to build in Lorena ISD so that our kids would have a chance to participate in as many activities has they wanted. My daughter was able to run X-Country and Track at the varsity level all four years (She was fast), played softball, volleyball, and varsity soccer for two years (even thou she hadn't played soccer since kindergarten.) Youngest son (a senior now) ran varsity X-Country freshmen and soph years (grew tire of it) and played varsity soccer all four years (only playing soccer in first grade before.)

Smaller schools offer those type of opportunities for non-D1 athletes.
bubear20
I have worked for both and honestly there's not much of a difference between the two in my eyes. Major generalization here but Midway kids in my experience are a lot more disrespectful, whereas Waco kids tend to be more apathetic. The leadership in Waco probably isn't as great as Midways but you're also dealing with a larger district and so resources are spread thinner (I obviously don't teach English) than they would be at a one high school district like Midway.

Ive told several people this, in the next 5-10 years Midway and Waco ISD's will have switched perceptual roles. Waco is getting a lot better tax base and Midway has a lot of housing going up that is more economically advantageous for those who aren't as wealthy. Doesn't mean Ill be right, its just the trend I'm seeing right now
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
My kids went to Midway for a while but as I moved around Texas coaching they attended a wide variety of schools, from 1A to 5A and from schools where they were the only white kids on the team to schools where the team was all white. They excelled, learned to handle many different situations and came out with 4 year schollies.

All schools have warts. Parental involvement and what goes on at home is just as important as school. My kids had great teachers and poor teachers but they learned from all of them. My youngest didnt like the AP classes and chose reg classes because thats where most of his friends were. He earned a schollie to Michigan Law
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
cowboycwr
Robert Wilson said:

cowboycwr said:

China spring had one of their coaches arrested in a prostitution sting.
I got no dog in that fight, but it had nothing to do with any CS students or anything that ever happened regarding CS students. If you want to go around town throwing stones like that (XISD had an employee who committed a crime of moral turpitude), you will wear out your arm.
This is actually my point. he does not represent the district. Neither does one arrested for sleeping with a student. It isn't the district's actions, it is the individuals actions.
Jackson Bear
Coke Bear said:

Robert Wilson said:

Funny stat - more kids transfer from Midway ISD to Waco ISD than the other way around. Interesting.

Waco ISD can work really well in HS if your kids are smart and stay in all AP. Can learn a lot, graduate high in their class, and graduate with a ton of college credit. They can also learn a lot about the world and appreciating the value of certain things they might otherwise take for granted. But it is not a good fit for everyone.
One reason why many transfer is to jump up to the 1st quarter at WISD. For instance, a 93-average at Midway might be mid-2nd quarter. At WISD, that's most likely 1st quarter. Scholarship money and college acceptance play a role there. A girl in my Midway class of '88 did that.

I do agree with you about the smart, hard-working kids at WISD. They are good kids that will do well when they get out.

Waco ISD is open transfer. Midway ISD usually is not. Only twice in the last 10 years has Midway opened it up and after they very selectively got the top students with no disciplinary issues they closed to transfer portal.
Jackson Bear
1outawayBear said:

They are building a new middle school, but adding on the high school. I don't see a HS split in the near to medium future. A split will be a community nightmare because of the way it would affect property values. Vast majority of your problem students at Midway come from the Hewitt side of the district along with a couple of apartment complexes. Rezoning for elementary and the new middle school was hard enough this last year.
Coke Bear
Jackson Bear said:

Waco ISD is open transfer. Midway ISD usually is not. Only twice in the last 10 years has Midway opened it up and after they very selectively got the top students with no disciplinary issues they closed to transfer portal.

When MISD figured out that they were going to 6A, they opened the doors for a time. A ton of WISD talent transferred in. The school, enabled by a weak district, when on some unprecedented runs in football.

I do not know if they still allow T-fers or not. I do know that they are atrocious in football not, but they're having to play real competition for the first time in 20 years. I've heard that they will be realigned with the Killeen schools again next year.

Time for them to make the playoffs again.
Coke Bear
Jackson Bear said:

They are building a new middle school, but adding on the high school. I don't see a HS split in the near to medium future. A split will be a community nightmare because of the way it would affect property values. Vast majority of your problem students at Midway come from the Hewitt side of the district along with a couple of apartment complexes. Rezoning for elementary and the new middle school was hard enough this last year.
Don't forget the elementary on Ritchie Rd.

Rumor has it that the land for a new HS has been purchased. If they draw the dividing line at the railroad tracks by HEB, prepare for home values in Woodway to soar even higher.

I'm not saying that this will happen anytime soon.
1outawayBear
Coke Bear said:

Jackson Bear said:

Don't forget the elementary on Ritchie Rd.

Rumor has it that the land for a new HS has been purchased. If they draw the dividing line at the railroad tracks by HEB, prepare for home values in Woodway to soar even higher.

I'm not saying that this will happen anytime soon.

Well my kid is only 3 so I have time. But that is my hope living in Woodway
Jackson Bear
Coke Bear said:

Jackson Bear said:

When MISD figured out that they were going to 6A, they opened the doors for a time. A ton of WISD talent transferred in. The school, enabled by a weak district, when on some unprecedented runs in football.

I do not know if they still allow T-fers or not. I do know that they are atrocious in football not, but they're having to play real competition for the first time in 20 years. I've heard that they will be realigned with the Killeen schools again next year.

Time for them to make the playoffs again.
They opened it over 10 years ago to get more state aid when there were severe budget cuts from the 2008 recession. Fall 2020 they opened again because you get extra money from the state if you are one of the 50 fastest growing districts. Midway is right on the edge of the top 50 and they did not want to loose that potential money. At least the 2nd time you had to have good state test scores, a certain GPA, and absolutely no history of disciplinary issues. They are being very selective.
Robert Wilson
I know a handful of transfer kids who rolled in there last couple years. I'd call them normal kids. Maybe they're really special and our standards are all high.
Jackson Bear
Robert Wilson said:

I know a handful of transfer kids who rolled in there last couple years. I'd call them normal kids. Maybe they're really special and our standards are all high.
The floor is not National Merit status. Just could not come in with a failed state exam or too low of a GPA and no history of discipline. That to me is a normal kid.
bear_devil
To answer your question directly, here is how they are ranked In my opinion. I have middle and high school aged children plus I'm friends who parents who have kids in all of these districts. There are good families at all of them, but they are vastly different.

Public schools
1. Bosqueville
2. Lorena
3. China Spring
3. Crawford
4. McGregor
5. Midway
Do not send your kids to WISD. I don't care if your kid would be top 10 there, the atmosphere is horrendous. And honestly that's what matters most. Midway is experiencing growing pains of a exploding school district. It you can probably tell that from all the posts above. Only down sides to China Spring, Lorena, Crawford, Bosqueville is their distance to Waco. Yes 20-30 minutes back and forth to HEB gets real old.

Here's my plug for private schools.

Waco also has ridiculously good private schools. Vanguard College Prep, Live Oak (Baptist), and Bishop Reicher (Catholic) plus some others up and coming. Vanguard is known for their academic rigor. It's small (less then 300 students 7-12). Very well rounded options for all types of students in terms of arts, music, technology, athletics, etc. Kids that transfer in from public schools who were AP level generally struggle academically for the first year until they get used to the intensive workload and expectations . Plus, Baylor's first gentleman is a teacher there. Last year's graduating class of around 32 kids received 5.2 million in academic scholarships. Live oak is the largest and fastest growing private school in Waco. A lot of affiliation with First Baptist Waco and Baylor. It uses the Classical methodology of teaching from elementary to high school. There is a strong Christian element in their overall teachings too. They are generally very competitive in sports. Academics are very good and you still have the smaller school atmosphere. Kids have a very strong academic foundation after graduation due to the classical (Latin) method of teaching. They under stand how and why our language and ideas are created. Most families with kids who attended by middle school tend to stay through high school graduation. Bishop Reicher is the Catholic school that has experienced a lot of change recently. They were know for their athletics for a long time but with all the changes, they have lost some numbers. They still have a strong Catholic based education and are heading in a better direction as a whole as a school/church. Eagle Christian, Parkdale and Valor are other small, newer schools if you want very small classes. Without a doubt, take tours, have your kids shadow for a day.

Biggest down side is the cost. 12-18k a year. But if you are paying WISD property taxes, the math may work out depending on where you live vs midway depending on house value and number of kids….

ABC BEAR
What about Rappaport? I have a grandson in Kindergarten there but really know nothing about the school.
Jackson Bear
ABC BEAR said:

What about Rappaport? I have a grandson in Kindergarten there but really know nothing about the school.
It is a charter school, which means it really is a public school that receives state money. However, it can control its enrollment, which means it can kick kids out, which makes all the difference. That is what gives good private schools an edge.
jdub_316
Isn't Mart technically in McLennan County? Small class sizes with friendly people and about to win another state football title. Not sure about dual credit, but you could easily do a zero hour class at MCC and be back at Mart High School in no time. I did not go to Mart but my younger brother did.
Volunteer
WISD tries very hard and they certainly have some excellent teachers. The problem resides with the parents. Far too many just don't care. Tough row for WISD to hoe.

I always chuckle a little bit when people talk about how huge Midway is. The total district has somewhere around 8,300 students. It's not in the top 100 largest school districts in Texas. The high school is one of the smallest 6A schools in Texas. My high school had 3600 students - and that was years and years ago.

Much depends on what the parents want and what is best for the child. Smaller schools will offer easier participation in sports. Larger schools will offer greater variety in academics, the arts, and clubs. For example Midway offers courses in French, ASL, Robotics, Video Editing, EMT training, graphic design, video production, marketing, hotel management, food services, accounting, plus all the standard courses one expects in a high school. Students have lots of choices.

China Spring, Lorena, and Crawford are also respected districts. They're just different.
BaylorHistory
jdub_316 said:

Isn't Mart technically in McLennan County? Small class sizes with friendly people and about to win another state football title. Not sure about dual credit, but you could easily do a zero hour class at MCC and be back at Mart High School in no time. I did not go to Mart but my younger brother did.
Mart is McLennan County, but it doesn't have the best academic reputation though I know some very good teachers that teach there.
RightRevBear
As several people have said it depends on your kid. Some kids thrive in large schools and others don't. Several good districts have been named including Midway, China Spring, Lorena, etc. Find the one that fits your kid(s) best that you can afford to live in.

We are moving to Waco this summer. My wife got a job at Baylor. My son is in orchestra and is on the middle school golf team in Belton ISD. For him to continue these the only good option is Midway, and he is already thriving in a large school.

We are considering Vanguard. It is the best school academically in Waco. It also offers orchestra and golf, but the cost might be prohibitive.

Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.