Real Christmas tree stands near Waco

1,312 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by jt888
BaylorGuy314
How long do you want to ignore this user?
10 years ago, there were multiple Christmas tree stands around Waco in addition to the big box stores.

A few years ago, almost all of them disappeared. At any given time, HEB/Home Depot/Lowes may have a decent to absolute crap selection.

Anyone seen a stand in Waco recently with a decent amount?
CorsicanaBear
I think real trees have gone the way of rotary phones. I haven't seen a free standing tree vendor in years. The reason may be that I haven't been looking for one.

Used to be I insisted on a real tree. When we lived in Coriscana and our son was young, we drove out to a tree farm in Powell. It was a very Texas experience. It was nestled between a major portion of the Powell Field with dozens of small, low pressure oil well pumps and a long horn ranch. Seeing the pumps work and the cows graze on a warm Texas early December afternoon while we cut a tree was ... interesting.
MrGolfguy
There's a Christmas tree farm between Clifton & Meridian. Probably not the only one.
radderanch.net
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
BaylorGuy314
MrGolfguy said:

There's a Christmas tree farm between Clifton & Meridian. Probably not the only one.
radderanch.net
I saw that one but apparently they are out.

When I was a kid, we had a fake tree in the living room but we'd buy a small live tree for the den. It was far from grandiose but it was a fun experience. I've done real trees with my kids every year but I don't like doing it at the big box stores because (1) those trees are frequently cut in early to mid October and are many weeks old- if not months (seriously)- before arriving and (2) it's not a very unique experience for the kids going to Home Depot or HEB for a tree. I don't need to cut one down (although I have done it before) but I'm looking for a different experience than going to a hardware or grocery store.

For 5-6 years there was a decent Christmas tree lot at the corner of Franklin and Valley Mills. Their trees weren't anything special but they were always freshly cut (<1 week) so they were really nice. And it felt less commercialized, which was ideal. They haven't been back in 3+ years.

I saw a few tree stands in Houston a few weeks ago when I was down for Thanksgiving but haven't seen one in Waco in a few years.

Oh well.
FirmBear24
Robinson Family Farm in Temple is likely sold out, but I got a nice Fraser Fir there. I have been to the the place near Meridian before as well, and agree with another poster that they are likely sold out. The trees at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. are awful.
Showtime
I'm really not a tree hugger but real trees these days just seem kind of wasteful. I totally get the nostalgia and sometimes wish I went through the old school way of getting a Christmas tree but the fakes are so good now they look better and feel less wasteful.
redfish961
Showtime said:

I'm really not a tree hugger but real trees these days just seem kind of wasteful. I totally get the nostalgia and sometimes wish I went through the old school way of getting a Christmas tree but the fakes are so good now they look better and feel less wasteful.
But they don't smell near as good.

That being said, they don't burn near as well either.
jt888
Can't beat a real tree especially if you go cut it down. A fake one isn't bad but it's just no where near the same
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.