Any updates on Setshot?

2,710 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BearnMI
BearnMI
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It has been over a month since I heard any news on our friend Setshot.

Can anyone provide an update?

Always in our prayers.
Big_Pumpin
What happened?
setshot
BearnMI, I am still alive and kicking. I am a good patient and follow the doctor's menu of medication and exercise. It has resulted in better breathing and a bit more strength, but a somewhat defective and damaged heart is unlikely to be restored to pristine condition, so at my age I appreciate every day of life and the ability to tune in on the Bears and the GSWarriors. It is a privilege that I have never taken for granted, and certainly not now.

Twelve years ago, I had a friend in California who was dying of cancer, and two weeks before his death he told me that his chief regret was that he would not live to see the kind of player that Stephen Curry was going to become. I have never heard a greater compliment to a player than that, nor a stronger endorsement of the role that a sport has played in the shaping of the interest of an individual. I (sort of) understand it better now than I did at the time he confided it to me. Of the 86 billion nerve cells that constitute my brain, I think I am well within the boundaries of good taste and sound judgement to dedicate a couple of billion to the advancement of my Bears in the uncertain world of college sports, and so I do.

It was said by the Roman philosopher Cicero that to philosophize is to learn how to die. He was echoed by the wonderful 16th-century essayist Michel de Montaigne, sometimes in earnest, at other times in jest, "If you don't know how to die, don't worry. Nature will tell you what to do on the spot, fully and adequately." Sort of like playing the point, wouldn't you say?

Russell Gym
Great to hear from you, Setshot!! Keep the posts coming!
4yrletterbear
Great words. THANKS
willyric
setshot said:

BearnMI, I am still alive and kicking. I am a good patient and follow the doctor's menu of medication and exercise. It has resulted in better breathing and a bit more strength, but a somewhat defective and damaged heart is unlikely to be restored to pristine condition, so at my age I appreciate every day of life and the ability to tune in on the Bears and the GSWarriors. It is a privilege that I have never taken for granted, and certainly not now.

Twelve years ago, I had a friend in California who was dying of cancer, and two weeks before his death he told me that his chief regret was that he would not live to see the kind of player that Stephen Curry was going to become. I have never heard a greater compliment to a player than that, nor a stronger endorsement of the role that a sport has played in the shaping of the interest of an individual. I (sort of) understand it better now than I did at the time he confided it to me. Of the 86 billion nerve cells that constitute my brain, I think I am well within the boundaries of good taste and sound judgement to dedicate a couple of billion to the advancement of my Bears in the uncertain world of college sports, and so I do.

It was said by the Roman philosopher Cicero that to philosophize is to learn how to die. He was echoed by the wonderful 16th-century essayist Michel de Montaigne, sometimes in earnest, at other times in jest, "If you don't know how to die, don't worry. Nature will tell you what to do on the spot, fully and adequately." Sort of like playing the point, wouldn't you say?

SET!!!!!!

Please remind me and others here.. what were your favorite books that you've read?

What are the ones you'd read again if you had time?

Our exchange was on baylorfans and I didn't remember! God bless you big brother!
GarlandBear84
What a blessing to read a post from Setshot! Prayers continue.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
setshot, we've been getting some updates on you on the premium board, glad to see your post and great perspective as always
BU_Drew
So grateful to hear from you, Setshot. We've never met but please know you've challenged me to be a better writer, sportsman, and observer of life through your posts here and on other iterations of Baylor sports sites. Thank you. Praying for peace, joy, and grace in your life.
GruntTuff
Setshot.....as a fellow cardiac challenged Baylor fan, it's great to hear that you are on the mend. Four years ago I felt my breathing just not being right and told my internist I wanted to see a cardiologist. He sort of frowned and told me to eat better and walk. I told him the truth...my diet was, and is, pristine and my wife and I walk six miles each day. The walking was telling me that something wasn't right.

I pushed...and he pulled....an appointment for me with a wonderful cardiologist. The long and short of it was that I was 99% blocked in two coronary arteries, including the aptly named "widow maker". Drug eluded stents fixed me up and now I'm just fine....but he told me I had a short time left in this earthly realm without the stents....and.....as a lesson to my fellow Baylor fans....without ME being proactive.

The message fellow Baylor fans is....take care of yourself and be proactive. You know your body better than anyone else. Don't ever be afraid to hold up your hand and say to your doctor....."something's just not right".

Many more seasons of watching the Warriors and the Bears....and just maybe a nice Final Four run for the Bears this year!
ScottS
Glad to see your post Setshot. Hang tough.
mtenery14
GruntTuff said:

Setshot.....as a fellow cardiac challenged Baylor fan, it's great to hear that you are on the mend. Four years ago I felt my breathing just not being right and told my internist I wanted to see a cardiologist. He sort of frowned and told me to eat better and walk. I told him the truth...my diet was, and is, pristine and my wife and I walk six miles each day. The walking was telling me that something wasn't right.

I pushed...and he pulled....an appointment for me with a wonderful cardiologist. The long and short of it was that I was 99% blocked in two coronary arteries, including the aptly named "widow maker". Drug eluded stents fixed me up and now I'm just fine....but he told me I had a short time left in this earthly realm without the stents....and.....as a lesson to my fellow Baylor fans....without ME being proactive.

The message fellow Baylor fans is....take care of yourself and be proactive. You know your body better than anyone else. Don't ever be afraid to hold up your hand and say to your doctor....."something's just not right".

Many more seasons of watching the Warriors and the Bears....and just maybe a nice Final Four run for the Bears this year!
I come from a family of physicians, spanning back 4 generations. As wonderful as they can be, sometimes the low odds of a serious problem play too much into their decision to dismiss the concerns of a patient. Maybe it's ego or combination of both?

My grandfather had metastatic lung cancer for 10 years, and began complaining of back pain about 6-8 months before he died. Being a physician himself and having been on intravenous chemo for a few years, he knew it could be something worse than a muscular or joint pain issue. His oncologist dismissed it and referred him to a geriatric doctor.

Jan. 2020, he fell into severe delirium -- CT scans showed that the cancer had spread to his spinal cord/fluid, and eventually to his brain. Granted, by the time it spread there, his chances of surviving were very slim. But maybe he could have gotten help if it were caught earlier.

Ultimately, God is in control and is going to call us home when it's time. But in the meantime, it's okay to press your doctors and demand to be listened to. It may actually humble them and save another life in the process.
Marlin
Always good to hear a Setshot update. I'm so happy to hear you're feeling well enough to post.
We miss your brilliant takes on the game of basketball.
Hob Howell
Imagine this:

I settle in after a long day of work and decide to peruse this website quickly before dinner.

Nothing is out of the ordinary, until suddenly everything is out of the ordinary.

Is that a setshot post I see? Perched right atop the Post of the Day leaderboard?

I nearly fell out of my chair.

Words can't explain how overjoyed I was to see you back, setshot. Alive and kicking, indeed!

God bless you and your family. And Sic'em Bears forever.
www.linkedin.com/in/hobhowell
SATXBear
So happy you feel better SetShot. Keep that heart pumping and enjoy the Bears. Your nephew represents you well on the site.
KOKQB70
I'm almost crying reading your replies Setshot, highlight of my day, and it was already great thanks to Jesus, love ya bro, keep posting please!
forza orsi
So great to hear from you Setshot! Your posts have always been insightful and unique in their perspective. Always a joy to read. And it's especially fun that in your latest update you have outSetshot even yourself! Prayers for continued recovery and that you get to watch every minute of the next BU run to the national championship. Sicem Setshot!
RegentCoverup
I'm honored to share a diploma with Setshot.
Bexar Pitts
Setshot, the posts in this thread remind me of a famous observation made by "The Wizard"..."A heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others." You obviously have quite an amazing heart..My very best to you!
BearnMI
So good to see you posting here among friends. May your heart be refreshed with joy!

Sic'''em Setshot.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.