Who stays for next year?

9,580 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Crawfoso1973
PaperBear89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bear2be2 said:

PaperBear89 said:

bear2be2 said:

I want guys who are playing college ball because they've grown up dreaming about college ball, not those who are making their mandated stop for a year.

The former will always care more and be more committed than the latter.

I really like the way baseball does it (not sure if they still do): Wanna go straight to the pros from high school? No problem. Wanna sign with college because you're not sure? Great. Shut up and play college for 3 years minimum.
The NBA is expected to do away with the one-and-done rule in the next year or two. I really hope they do. It will help the college game to get guys out of it that don't really want/need to be there.

Yeah, not 100 percent sure why they changed it in the first place. I heard it was something about maturity?
Not sure how much more mature dudes get from 18 to 19 in a typical college environment.
PaperBear89
Karab said:

boerne bear said:

Wonder how many classes George attended and how many hours of College Credit he'll leave Baylor with?

You know... I wonder what a 1-and-done default class schedule looks like.

When I was watching Kentucky today it reminded me of how much I despise Calipari and that program. It is the original epidemy of all that is wrong with modern college sports.
bear2be2
PaperBear89 said:

bear2be2 said:

PaperBear89 said:

bear2be2 said:

I want guys who are playing college ball because they've grown up dreaming about college ball, not those who are making their mandated stop for a year.

I really like the way baseball does it (not sure if they still do): Wanna go straight to the pros from high school? No problem. Wanna sign with college because you're not sure? Great. Shut up and play college for 3 years minimum.
The NBA is expected to do away with the one-and-done rule in the next year or two. I really hope they do. It will help the college game to get guys out of it that don't really want/need to be there.

Yeah, not 100 percent sure why they changed it in the first place. I heard it was something about maturity?
Not sure how much more mature dudes get from 18 to 19 in a typical college environment.
I think it's because the league didn't trust its personnel people not to make terrible decisions on 18-year-olds. Guys like Kwame Brown and Darko Milicic brought bad publicity to the league.
boerne bear
I agree 100% but from the perspective in support of players that want to play AND get an education . Not in support of players that want a year to show the NBA that they might can play. The players that we don't sign, but go to Lesser schools work hard and eventually kick our back sides AND get a great education. THEN some go to Alabama and provide a gun that results in a murder and maybe wind up in L. James' NBA.
perrynative
Maturity is SO prevalent in NBA now.
Crawfoso1973
The anti-5 star crowd will be doing a lot of whining and complaining the next couple of years because we have plenty in the pipeline. I can't wait to see what Miro and Walter bring to the table. Walter with his size and motor in particular will single-handedly improve our perimeter D. I trust out coaches will hit the portal hard this offseason to bring in the right complementary players to contribute immediately and maybe a diamond in the rough we can redshirt and develop. Our needs are glaring and obvious no need to go into detail.
HuttoBear
Hope every starter is GONE. Start from scratch and get folks who want to play on both sides of the ball.
historian
IvanBear said:

Cove Dawg said:

IowaBear said:

If Cryer and Flag came back you're going to have the same defensive issues we had this year. Both are fantastic offensive players who leave a lot to be desired defensively

Even with their liability on D I hope Cryer and Flagler return.

One would hope at least one is going to come from the beach next year.

I just don't see Flagler coming back, he looks tired.

He looked tired in Denver because he was. He had difficulties dealing with the altitude. I don't think he looked all that tired playing in Waco.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
historian
IowaBear said:

Look at that 21 team and you'll find your answer. Give me the 3-4 star with a chip on his shoulder any day over a 5 star looking to showcase himself for the draft.

Amen. How many easy buckets were missed because a guy was trying to showcase a dunk? Flo did it at least a couple times & I've seen players on other teams & in other tournament games do it too. Everyone likes the big jam but if the ball doesn't go in you just have egg on your face.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Chamberman
PaperBear89 said:

that's illegal
Pretty sure you mean a violation of the rules. Last I checked, the NCAA couldn't pass laws.
canoso
bear2be2 said:

PaperBear89 said:

bear2be2 said:

Cannot possibly happen too soon. Good for BU actually sustaining athletic success and even better for getting these young people on an authentically strong life foundation instead of on $$$$.
Chamberman
boerne bear said:

THEN some go to Alabama and provide a gun that results in a murder and maybe wind up in L. James' NBA.
Why the hate on Lebron? He's never come across to me as a thug.
Guitarbiscuit
Great offensive players, but we need guards with length and lateral speed to prevent penetration. Flagler and Cryer don't have that.
Guitarbiscuit
Agreed. Keyonte seemed more interested in making big plays than actually winning. We did not have the correct personnel this year.
Guitarbiscuit
Yes! Lohner, Bonner, and Cryer are the only ones I saw who cared yesterday. All others just out on their Sunday afternoon drive.
bear2be2
Guitarbiscuit said:

Agreed. Keyonte seemed more interested in making big plays than actually winning. We did not have the correct personnel this year.
I don't think Keyonte is selfish. I just think he lacks any sort of situational awareness whatsoever. He consistently took quick, contested jumpers, made ill-advised drives into traffic and forced passes into closed windows ... and always at the worst possible times. He thought he had to be the guy to get us out of ruts, but he didn't have the game to back up that mindset, and just often started runs for the opposition as a result.

Some of that is immaturity. Some of it is being allowed to do way too much by the coaching staff. Any other player would have been benched when they made the same hard-headed mistakes that George consistently did all season.
bear2be2
Guitarbiscuit said:

Yes! Lohner, Bonner, and Cryer are the only ones I saw who cared yesterday. All others just out on their Sunday afternoon drive.
They all care. If Flagler's shots had fallen yesterday, he'd be on your list. They just didn't.

This team just had too many flawed players who came together to be a flawed team.
BU82EX
boerne bear said:

Wonder how many classes George attended and how many hours of College Credit he'll leave Baylor with?
The answer? Probably Twelve. Twelve hours of credit from the fall and he attended 12 hours of classes in the spring!
chorne68
I would not be surprised if George comes back. The last part of the year about the only way he could score was to drive to the basket and get fouled. He lost his shot. It would be great if he did.
chorne68
Guitarbiscuit said:

Cut me a break...the players were gassed last night. Some time you just lay an egg.
IowaBear
I'd be utterly shocked, NBA is all about projection. I doubt he goes top 10 but I'd be surprised if he slipped out of the 1st rd
Crawfoso1973
chorne68 said:

I would not be surprised if George comes back. The last part of the year about the only way he could score was to drive to the basket and get fouled. He lost his shot. It would be great if he did.
His shot was clearly never the same after that UT game when he turned his ankle. But credit him for gutting it out and putting his body on the line. The season didn't work out the way we all would have hoped, but that is life.
KIA
Cryer, Love, and possibly JTT will be the experienced returners.

Olijuwuna, Lohner, and Bridges will be the 1st year guys that are back.

Not sure about Bonner.

The two freshman guards, plus Redshirt Grimes will be newcomers.

4 guard rotation of Cryer, Love, Walter, and Little. Maybe Bonner starts over one of the Freshmen. Grimes seems like a 'dog' type at least defensively.

We will likely bring in a Big from the portal. Bridges is solid. JTT (if he wants another year) Olijuwuna improved a lot this year and I'm hoping he continues to improve.

Drew will be back. Jakus could get a head coaching offer.
blackie
Somebody tell me we will have bigs big enough to actually have an inside game when the outside isn't hitting. And that the defense can't just almost ignore the paint and stay glued to our shooters as was the case last night.

Oh.....the other requirement for a big.....they need to be able to catch the ball and make a bunny when no more than lightly guarded.
wongobear
What we really need from a big in our system is not posting up to score. We need them mobile and agile enough to switch around the defense and play against a guard. We just couldn't do that last night (and really all season). Perhaps JTT will be better next year (if he even comes back at all). He can play that way and I THINK Lohner can play that way. That seems like a lot of hoping and not a lot of sure things. Would be nice to go and find Mark Vital sitting in the portal . . .

We might have to change our defensive scheme if we don't get the right personnel . . . but will we?
MashedPotatoes
IowaBear said:

If Cryer and Flag came back you're going to have the same defensive issues we had this year. Both are fantastic offensive players who leave a lot to be desired defensively
I can't imagine not wanting those 2 guys on the team.
IowaBear
Where did I say I didn't want them on the team ?
bear2be2
It doesn't really matter what any of us want, Flagler almost certainly won't be here next year.

Whether in the NBA (G League, most likely) or overseas, he needs to start making some money playing basketball.

I hope Cryer comes back. He'll likely be our leading scorer next season if he does. We will need to surround him with better defensive guards than we had this year, though.
Crawfoso1973
bear2be2 said:

It doesn't really matter what any of us want, Flagler almost certainly won't be here next year.

Whether in the NBA (G League, most likely) or overseas, he needs to start making some money playing basketball.

I hope Cryer comes back. He'll likely be our leading scorer next season if he does. We will need to surround him with better defensive guards than we had this year, though.
We will. Ja'Kobe Walter is an elite 2 way player with perimeter size and length we desperately need. I have high hopes for Grimes and am hoping Bonner returns. Miro I can't imagine would be worse than Key defensively and has good positional size. I also hope we get a magical Vital clone from the portal who can guard inside and out. All of those combined elements should allow us to hide Cryer and I'm sure he will work on improving as well. To me, the biggest mystery of this backcourt is Love. Is he what he is at this point, or still recovering lateral movement from the ACL?
TWD 1974
Crawfoso1973 said:

bear2be2 said:

We will. Ja'Kobe Walter is an elite 2 way player with perimeter size and length we desperately need. I have high hopes for Grimes and am hoping Bonner returns. Miro I can't imagine would be worse than Key defensively and has good positional size. I also hope we get a magical Vital clone from the portal who can guard inside and out. All of those combined elements should allow us to hide Cryer and I'm sure he will work on improving as well. To me, the biggest mystery of this backcourt is Love. Is he what he is at this point, or still recovering lateral movement from the ACL?
Keyonte could be very effective in man-to-man defense but seemed to get lost at times on the switch. He wasn't the only player with this problem... I can't tell you about Miro's defensive capabilities as he seemed to be playing away from his natural position this year, plus the fact defense wasn't a big thing at the elite high school level.
Langston should be much improved next year, he wasn't even cleared to practice until the Fall, so missed a lot of time. I hope he stays and has a healthy season as I believe he could end up having a great college career.
One thing to keep in mind as the Transfer portal will be even more enormous than last year, and there is going to be pressure on a couple of our key players. A lot of big programs could come jumping for Jalen or LJ. Odds are, we will lose someone who might be promised more playing time elsewhere. It's going to happen to everyone.
Quinton
By all accounts Love is one of the hardest workers in the program. Should translate to big improvement but if it doesn't its not from lack of effort. Would think movement will look better, D should be much improved, and improved playmaking/offensive skills.

Bridges needs to be locked down by the program. Was an excellent versatile swing since the WVU game. I agree a team will make a run at LJ as the missing offensive punch to put them over the top. A few did last year from what we understand. This will be the feature year on offense they've been waiting for so doesn't make as much sense this time unless UM type $ comes from one of the top contenders. Possible
Quinton
Agree, the only issue I see is getting adjusted to the system. Takes a few years in to really get comfortable with the D. Hope the staff modifies it a bit as teams have adjusted a bit. We don't have to play an old school straight up man but some variation would be nice. (I don't mean trying different "looks" out of desperation)
Oldbear83
Wow.

So many geniuses here.

As for me, I trust Drew.

That 2021 team, Drew built them.

It's easy to stand there and throw stones at Key and Flagler and whoever, but I believe every member of that team did all they could to win. Problem is they couldn't be all they wanted to be, but anyone trashing members of this team just because they lost Sunday is a pant-p i s s i n g whiner who couldn't build a high school team worth anything, let alone a consistent contender like Drew has done.

Look at the 'blue blood' programs, the ones so many people oooh and ahhh over.

Kansas, lost in the round of 32. A week ago some were saying they should have been the top overall seed.

North Carolina, not even in this year's tournament.

Purdue, Arizona, Marquette, All done in the first weekend.

Good teams lose sometimes, and some teams just get hot.

I trust Drew to rebuild a contender next year, and to bring us titles in the future.

And I thank the team we had this year, for overcoming an 0-3 conference start and beating some soldi teams this year.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
BUGWBBear
Chamberman said:

boerne bear said:

THEN some go to Alabama and provide a gun that results in a murder and maybe wind up in L. James' NBA.
Why the hate on Lebron? He's never come across to me as a thug.

Me neither. Just a loudmouth who ain't feeling it lately because he's got the record now.
Bakersdozen
IowaBear said:

They compete for the same position - shooting guard. Both have to start. . One would have to go.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.