2024 Transfer Portal

6,335 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by boognish_bear
Mitch Henessey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There's going to be so many guys in the portal this off-season that it makes no sense to have a thread devoted to just one player. Let's aggregate the news on those guys here.

One guy I'd like to see us take a run at is Brandon Garrison, freshman C from Okie Lite. Averaged 7.5 points, 5.3 rebounds, and 1.5 blocks this season, and tagged us for a 20 spot in our one meeting this year.
parch
Garrison would be an interesting get. He underachieved last season but Boynton doesn't know how to run an offense so I think we can utilize him better with all our guard-heavy pick and pops, especially since Missi is likely gone to the NBA this offseason.

This is the dude I want. Would be a like-for-like replacement for Bridges and gives you more going in to the basket.

BearlyBeloved
Mitch Henessey said:

There's going to be so many guys in the portal this off-season that it makes no sense to have a thread devoted to just one player. Let's aggregate the news on those guys here.

One guy I'd like to see us take a run at is Brandon Garrison, freshman C from Okie Lite. Averaged 7.5 points, 5.3 rebounds, and 1.5 blocks this season, and tagged us for a 20 spot in our one meeting this year.
Do you think that because someone scored well AGAINST us, they therefore can score well FOR us?

Just asking!
Mitch Henessey
parch said:

Garrison would be an interesting get. He underachieved last season but Boynton doesn't know how to run an offense so I think we can utilize him better with all our guard-heavy pick and pops, especially since Missi is likely gone to the NBA this offseason.

This is the dude I want. Would be a like-for-like replacement for Bridges and gives you more going in to the basket.

I posted this in the Ajayi thread, but I'm not as high on him as most. He feasted on weak competition and his numbers were pedestrian against the high level competition he faced.

Maybe he can level up, and wouldn't be opposed to taking him, but he's not a can't-miss, by any means.
Mitch Henessey
BearlyBeloved said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Do you think that because someone scored well AGAINST us, they therefore can score well FOR us?

Just asking!

Haha, not necessarily. But, it didn't hurt that he killed us the one game I watched him play in full.

An athletic big who can catch bounce passes, rebounds well, and hustles? Oh, and he has a high-level recruiting pedigree? Sign me up.
gobears20
Staff
boognish_bear
Task Force 2015
Piggybacking about Garrison,he not only scored 20 points against us without missing a shot,he also had four blocks.I view him as an athletic rim protector.
gobears20
Staff
gobears20
Staff
Another Louisville player

Fre3dombear
Mitch Henessey said:

BearlyBeloved said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Just asking!

Haha, not necessarily. But, it didn't hurt that he killed us the one game I watched him play in full.

An athletic big who can catch bounce passes, rebounds well, and hustles? Oh, and he has a high-level recruiting pedigree? Sign me up.

Can he make layups?
parch
His numbers dipped against Gonzaga and St. Mary's, but consider that he was 1/4th of Pepperdine's offensive output on his own and it's easy to see why good teams could simply phase him out of games with bracket defense every time he touched the ball.

I'm not saying that doesn't factor in, but it's a common problem when you have what essentially amounts to a one-man offense hitting a rock when they face a tournament-level defense. I have no concerns with his offense, it's his defensive output that may give pause, but I don't think he's any worse than Bridges in that respect. He'd be a plus addition.
Mitch Henessey
parch said:

His numbers dipped against Gonzaga and St. Mary's, but consider that he was 1/4th of Pepperdine's offensive output on his own and it's easy to see why good teams could simply phase him out of games with bracket defense every time he touched the ball.

I'm not saying that doesn't factor in, but it's a common problem when you have what essentially amounts to a one-man offense hitting a rock when they face a tournament-level defense. I have no concerns with his offense, it's his defensive output that may give pause, but I don't think he's any worse than Bridges in that respect. He'd be a plus addition.
Here's what I posted in the other thread:

Quote:

In 6 games versus San Francisco, St. Mary's, and Gonzaga, he averaged 10.3 ppg, 7.8 rpg, and shot 45.5% from 3, but he only took 11 threes over those 6 games (5 of which came in the first game against Gonzaga - he made 3 of them).

He did have a nice 25-8 game in a loss to Indiana State, who is a bubble team, but that was by far his best game against any team resembling a high major squad.

He wilted in every game but one that he played against high major competition. Also, he was far from a one-man offense. Jevon Carter and Houston Mallette averaged 16.2 and 14.7 points, respectively, and are both rated more highly in the transfer portal than Ajayi by 247 Sports (not that that ranking should be the end-all, be-all, but still).

I'm not saying he wouldn't be a plus addition. He very well may be. But, I'm not going to fall in love with his top line stats, because looking under the hood paints a less rosy picture.
gobears20
Staff
gobears20
Staff
gobears20
Staff
gobears20
Staff
gobears20
Staff
gobears20
Staff
Jayman1963
Mitch Henessey said:

parch said:

I posted this in the Ajayi thread, but I'm not as high on him as most. He feasted on weak competition and his numbers were pedestrian against the high level competition he faced.

Maybe he can level up, and wouldn't be opposed to taking him, but he's not a can't-miss, by any means.
Ajayi committed to Gonzaga.
IvanBear
Any chance we'd go after Brandon Garrison out of Oklahoma State?
Mitch Henessey
Now that we know with certainty that Coach Drew is going to be back next season, I'm turning attention back to roster construction for next season. Last week was a dead week for the portal, so the Drew to UK drama didn't really set us back too far in getting transfers, in my opinion.

Looking at some of the top names in the portal, there are an absolute TON of undersized PGs and combo guards in the portal. I am of the opinion that we don't really need any more guards for next season's team. If we end up taking a guy, I think it's because either

A) Rob Wright isn't ready to run the show as a freshman, and we're bringing in a stopgap, or
B) Miro Little hasn't progressed as the staff would have hoped and he's likely not in the future plans.

I hope neither is the case. Of the guys in the portal, I would love to see us focus on guys with multiple years remaining, and guys with length who can either play defense, shoot, or preferably both. Here's the types of players who I would be targeting, with their years of classification for this upcoming season:

Oumar Ballo (Arizona) 7-0 C, Sr: I am only putting him on the list because at one point he seemed to be strongly considering Baylor out of HS. He's going to be one of the most sought-after players in the portal, and his style of play doesn't really match how we play. He does have a good relationship with the coaching staff, though. Averaged 12.9 ppg, 10.1 rpg, and is very efficient on offense.

Clifford Omoruyi (Rutgers) 6-11 C, Sr: I know we've reached out to him. Would be a great stopgap player for a year after Missi turned pro early. Made the B1G all defensive team in 2024, and averaged 10.4 ppg, 8.4 rpg, and 2.9 blocks.

Andrej Stojakovic (Stanford) 6-7 SF, Soph: Peja's kid. Averaged 7.8 ppg, 3.4 rpg. Would be a Jalen Bridges replacement in role, but not in playing style. Needs development of his shooting game, and isn't as good of a defender as Bridges, but was a McDonald's AA, and was highly regarded as a recruit.

Mark Mitchell (Duke) 6-9 PF, Jr: Would be great to get him, but I doubt it happens. 11.6 ppg, 6.0 rpg, but didn't shoot the ball super efficiently outside the paint. This is the kind of player Kentucky or Arkansas will likely land.

Tarris Reed (Michigan) 6-10 PF, Jr: Top 40 recruit out of HS, averaged 9.0 ppg, 7.2 rpg with greatly improved efficiency numbers over his freshman year for a dumpster fire of a Michigan squad. Likely going to a school that backs up an NIL Brinks truck for him.

Brandon Garrison (Oklahoma State) 6-11 C, Soph: I mentioned him earlier in the thread. Top 50 recruit of HS, and put up modest #s (7.5 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 1.5 blocks) on a bad team, but is hyper athletic, and had a monster game against us in Stillwater.

Aaron Bradshaw (Kentucky) 7-1 C, Soph: Missed half of last season with a foot injury, and fell out of the UK rotation late in the season. Highly regarded out of HS, averaged 4.9 ppg and 3.3 rpg in limited action.

Adou Thiero (Kentucky) 6-8 Wing, Jr: Averaged 7.2 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 1.1 blocks. An ascending player whose efficiency numbers really shot up last season. Still not a great outside shooter, but his FT % improvement is encouraging, and suggests he might have that ability in his game.

Otega Oweh (Oklahoma) 6-5 Combo Guard, Jr: Putting him in here because he really plays more like a wing plays in our offense. Had similar numbers to Jalen Bridges last year, and I really like his game and hustle. 11.4 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 1.5 steals. Improved his 3pt shooting (38%), but isn't a great FT shooter (64%).

Cade Tyson (Belmont) 6-7 Wing, Jr: His brother is former Clemson forward Hunter Tyson, who now plays for the Nuggets. Averaged 16.2 ppg and 5.9 rpg. Shot 46.5% from deep on a high volume (5.5 3s/game). Almost an 86% career FT shooter. Dude gets buckets.

Keyshawn Hall (George Mason) 6-7 Wing, Jr: I really like him as a dark horse transfer target for us, especially given that we've targeted some A-10 guys in recent years. Started his career at UNLV, where we've also gotten guys from. 16.6 ppg, 8.1 rpg, but was a high-usage player. 36% 3pt shooter, 84% FT.

Saint Thomas (Northern Colorado) 6-7 SF, Sr: I just really like his name, and Scott Drew's nephew having played at Northern Colorado can't hurt, although I don't think they overlapped. He'll probably go someplace where he's given a bigger offensive role than we'll offer. 19.7 ppg, 9.8 rpg, 1.7 steals, 33% 3pt, 87% FT.

Jevon Porter (Pepperdine) 6-11 PF, Soph: Has two older brothers in the NBA. 16.2 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 1.0 blocks. Dealt with some injury issues this past year. Not a great 3pt shooter on high volume (30%), but a solid FT shooter (77%).

B.J. Omot (North Dakota) 6-8 SF, Jr: Possibly related to Nuni Omot (distant cousin)? I couldn't find any definitive evidence, but they both payed HS ball in Minnesota. Maybe Omot is a super common last name, though. 16.7 ppg, 4.2 rpg, but not very efficient shooting numbers.

Mason Gillis (Purdue) 6-6 SF, Sr: I actually really don't like his game, but he is efficient (47% 3pt, 86% FT) and fits the athletic profile we look for. 6.5 ppg, 3.9 rpg coming off the bench for the runners up this past year.

Maliq Brown (Syracuse) 6-8 PF, Jr: Started half of Syracuse's games. 9.5 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 2.2 steals. 37% 3pt, 72% FT. Not a volume shooter, could fit in well with what we run.

Yohan Traore (UC Santa Barbara) 6-11 PF, Jr: Averaged 14.5 ppg, 5.1 rpg this year. Started his career at Auburn before transferring to get more minutes. Not an outside shooting threat. In fact, he only attempted 7 3s the entire season, missing them all.

Omaha Biliew (Iowa State) 6-8 PF, Soph: Never really got minutes for them, but was highly regarded as a defensive player coming out of HS.

Scotty Middleton (Ohio State) 6-7 Wing, Soph: Averaged 15 mins/game off the bench for an underachieving tOSU. 4.4 ppg, 1.4 rpg, but shot 45% from 3 and has good length. A bit concerning that he only shot 50% from the FT line, but it was on limited attempts. More than half his shots were 3s.

Aboubacar Traore (Long Beach State) 6-5 SF, Sr: This guy is an exception to the multiple years remaining rule, but he may have an extra COVID year. His profile looks remarkably close to what Mark Vital brought us, but he's much less bulky than Vital (200 lbs vs. Vital's 250). Averaged 12 ppg, 8.4 rpg, 4.5 apg, 1.4 blocks, and 1.5 steals. An all around solid player, but he's not a 3 point threat at all. Put up 15 points and 14 rebounds in the first round NCAA Tourney versus Arizona.

The other guy we discussed previously, Michael Ajayi from Pepperdine, committed to Gonzaga a couple of weeks ago. I also really liked Jayson Kent, 6-8 PF from Indiana State, but he committed to Texas over the weekend.
IowaBear
Fairly certain Ballo was down to AZ and is out of HS. Maybe that helps us?
Much prefer Clifford O from Rutgers he's a monster on the defensive end.
Billew is intriguing the kid has upside through the roof but is extremely raw. That was the knock on him coming out of HS in the Des Moines metro. He's a project but he's going to be a good one once he develops.
Mitch Henessey
IowaBear said:

Fairly certain Ballo was down to AZ and is out of HS. Maybe that helps us?
Much prefer Clifford O from Rutgers he's a monster on the defensive end.
Billew is intriguing the kid has upside through the roof but is extremely raw. That was the knock on him coming out of HS in the Des Moines metro. He's a project but he's going to be a good one once he develops.

Ballo was us and Gonzaga. He transferred to Arizona when Tommy Lloyd got hired there. Lloyd was his primary recruiter and is a monster at recruiting international guys.

You're right, though. There was a video where Ballo was talking to Mo Bamba after Bamba got drafted by the Magic, and Mo asked Ballo where he was going to go to school. Ballo said, "probably Baylor." Obviously, it didn't happen, but it's clear that he felt pretty comfortable with us.
Crawfoso1973
Good stuff! No matter who we get I really hope we can get portal guys with 2 or 3 years eligibility remaining. I am probably in the minority on this one, but I think we need an immediate impact guard more than another 5. I think Josh O and Noah can hold down the 5 spot. Our other obvious glaring need is a Jalen Bridges replacement. I'm curious if we will go after a defensive-minded type or another stretch 4 to replicate Bridges' role in the offense. Hopefully someone who can do both, shoot and defend.
OkieBear12
247 Sports has some interesting crystal ball predictions. They have Oumar Ballo and Kanaan to Indiana. Indiana has already landed Myles Rice so talk about portal roster construction.

Also has Mark Mitchell from Duke going to KSU.

https://247sports.com/season/2024-basketball/transferportaltop/
Mitch Henessey
KSU's been trying to replicate their Elite 8 run formula: pint-size PG + transfer big.

Last year they signed Tylor Perry from UNT, this year they signed Dug McDaniel, both of whom were generously listed just under 6' at 5'11". We'll see if they get Mark Mitchell. That would be quite the coup.
Calrocks94
After all the dramas done from last week, anybody hear any rumors about who we may be targeting? Also, anybody hearing any rumblings of who Scott Drew may hire on a staff he has three open seats now
Big12Fan2024
I don't think there is any desire for Wright or particularly Little to start. The coaching staff is actively looking for an experienced point guard and a Bridges replacement but those replacements will probably come from smaller schools instead of existing P5 schools since we can't compete with the money Louisville, Texas, Kentucky, Ole Miss, Arkansas and St. Johns are throwing around to top transfers. I hope the Drew situation helps push us to get more NIL in place.

It makes me want to vomit when I see all of these accolades for Rodney Terry and his sudden recruiting skills with Tre and then all the transfers in the past couple of days. The only thing different for Rodney Terry is that the UT collective has basically given him several more million dollars to spend.
IvanBear
Big12Fan2024 said:

I don't think there is any desire for Wright or particularly Little to start. The coaching staff is actively looking for an experienced point guard and a Bridges replacement but those replacements will probably come from smaller schools instead of existing P5 schools since we can't compete with the money Louisville, Texas, Kentucky, Ole Miss, Arkansas and St. Johns are throwing around to top transfers. I hope the Drew situation helps push us to get more NIL in place.

It makes me want to vomit when I see all of these accolades for Rodney Terry and his sudden recruiting skills with Tre and then all the transfers in the past couple of days. The only thing different for Rodney Terry is that the UT collective has basically given him several more million dollars to spend.
Big agree, but also this is somewhat of a strategic decision from Scott who's choosing to spend NIL money on freshmen vs transfers. Curious to see how that goes.
Big12Fan2024
Tyrese Hunter the Texas PG and former Iowa St PG just announced he's entering the portal. Is he earmarked for Coach Cal in Fayetteville?
Mitch Henessey
Ballo to Indiana. Not a shock, but the number of premier big men out there just shrunk by one.

ETA: Goodman reporting that Ballo's asking price for one year of hooping was $1.2mm
Mitch Henessey
double post
boognish_bear
Quinton
Pipe dream but Rutgers kid and Roach (Duke) would be ideal. Still think we need a wing, a big, and a facilitator. Staff probably thinks differently but can dream.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.