Coaches in the mix for the Oklahoma State job

1,730 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 29 days ago by vanillabryce
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
parch
I would imagine Bryce is eager to avenge his 0-18 season at Vanderbilt with another P5 opportunity. I will say that his experience at Vanderbilt made basically the entire fan base turn on him, so I imagine OSU would want someone without that baggage, as good as he's proven to be on the mid-major level.
PartyBear
What is the latest on Louisville's search. They have been turned down by 2 candidates where is that now?
BigGameBaylorBear
The Bryce Drew / Scott Drew rivalry would go hard
Jayman1963
PartyBear said:

What is the latest on Louisville's search. They have been turned down by 2 candidates where is that now?
The St. Louis sports guys are reporting that Louisville is going after the Indiana State coach Josh Schertz. There's been a lot of local coverage on him because SLU fired Travis Ford. Schertz is an FAU alum so he might go there.
IvanBear
parch said:

I would imagine Bryce is eager to avenge his 0-18 season at Vanderbilt with another P5 opportunity. I will say that his experience at Vanderbilt made basically the entire fan base turn on him, so I imagine OSU would want someone without that baggage, as good as he's proven to be on the mid-major level.
You cannot win at Vanderbilt, you will never have the support and that venue they play in is an affront to the sport. A fanbase has a right to be made when a guy goes 0-18, but they for sure prematurely axed him.
parch
IvanBear said:

parch said:

You cannot win at Vanderbilt, you will never have the support and that venue they play in is an affront to the sport. A fanbase has a right to be made when a guy goes 0-18, but they for sure prematurely axed him.
This is misinformed.

Drew went from 19-16 to 12-20 to 9-23 in three years. That's really really bad, even at Vanderbilt. Stallings had been there for 17 years prior and had never once lost 20 games (and had won 20+ eight times while only posting one losing record). Drew did it two years in a row, and it epically bad fashion.

Drew has proven to be a very good mid-major coach, but his one experiment as a P5 coach was a flaming disaster. And Vanderbilt was a steady mid-pack program year over year when he took over, so you can't act like it was all Vandy's fault.
IvanBear
parch said:

IvanBear said:

parch said:

This is misinformed.

Drew went from 19-16 to 12-20 to 9-23 in three years. That's really really bad, even at Vanderbilt. Stallings had been there for 17 years prior and had never once lost 20 games (and had won 20+ eight times while only posting one losing record). Drew did it two years in a row, and it epically bad fashion.

Drew has proven to be a very good mid-major coach, but his one experiment as a P5 coach was a flaming disaster. And Vanderbilt was a steady mid-pack program year over year when he took over, so you can't act like it was all Vandy's fault.
He had finally turned recruiting around there the year he got the job. In a dumpster fire like he walked into getting anything less than 6 years is completely unfair to anyone in that situation.
Big12Bear
IvanBear said:

parch said:

One of my favorite venues in all of basketball and a very tough place to win when they have a competitive team. Unlike football, the fan support is there for hoops, if they're decent.
parch
IvanBear said:

parch said:

IvanBear said:

parch said:

This is misinformed.

He had finally turned recruiting around there the year he got the job. In a dumpster fire like he walked into getting anything less than 6 years is completely unfair to anyone in that situation.
He lost 20 games for the first time in Vanderbilt history with three career 1,000-point scorers and a future NBA player, and then lost 23 a year later with three future NBA guys on the team. All of them significantly outperformed their numbers from the year before in other systems. Several of the players Drew himself recruited blamed Drew's coaching.

Vandy was not a dumpster fire when he got there. We were a dumpster fire when Scott got here. By comparison, Vandy was a bubble NCAA tourney team that occasionally made a little noise in the postseason. While he probably should've gotten a fourth year, ultimately you're asking for your boss to make a hard decision if you turn in the worst season in SEC history in your third year.
fubar
If he's that bad, let's hope Okie Lite hires him.
jsstewar
Big12Bear said:

IvanBear said:

parch said:

One of my favorite venues in all of basketball and a very tough place to win when they have a competitive team. Unlike football, the fan support is there for hoops, if they're decent.
Nashville area resident who respectfully disagrees about Vanderbilt. For some conference games, they struggled to draw 6000.

The gym is a relic to the 70's, and the school makes little effort to connect to the local community. I was surprised they got the James Madison coach. Hopefully the new coach can convince the Vandy administration to invest in the team and the facilities and start promoting the program.
ABC BEAR
If I were my own search committee my focus would be on Anthony Grant. His style of ball would be a fit for the XII.
Big12Bear
jsstewar said:

Big12Bear said:

IvanBear said:

parch said:

Nashville area resident who respectfully disagrees about Vanderbilt. For some conference games, they struggled to draw 6000.

The gym is a relic to the 70's, and the school makes little effort to connect to the local community. I was surprised they got the James Madison coach. Hopefully the new coach can convince the Vandy administration to invest in the team and the facilities and start promoting the program.
Like I said, "if they're decent."

The last decent year they had was 16-17. 9000+ every conference game, upto almost 13,000 for the big games. It's a great atmosphere when they're rolling.

SEC folk know all about Memorial Magic. Unfortunately for them, they haven't really been competitive since Stallings.
vanillabryce
Hired Lutz from Western KY
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.