status on Walter and missi

3,245 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by Stefano DiMera
Bearsalwayswin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
When will decisions be made?
ScottS
Hoping and praying they both stay
EasyE
Bearsalwayswin said:

They were probably already made, particularly Walter.
parch
Key announced 9 days after the Creighton loss last year, so around this time. I expect that will be coming from Walter any day now.

I'm not as confident about Missi. If I had to bet, I think he'll enter his name into the draft, go to the pre-draft camp in Chicago in May to dial in his draft positioning and make initial NBA contact, and from there decide to either come back or stay in the draft. We've had a couple guys do that.
OsoCoreyell
Bearsalwayswin said:

Last signing day.
Karab
parch said:

Key announced 9 days after the Creighton loss last year, so around this time. I expect that will be coming from Walter any day now.

I'm not as confident about Missi. If I had to bet, I think he'll enter his name into the draft, go to the pre-draft camp in Chicago in May to dial in his draft positioning and make initial NBA contact, and from there decide to either come back or stay in the draft. We've had a couple guys do that.

Missi staying an extra year with Edgecombe coming in and hopefully a healthy Love would be MASSIVE.

NIL better be thrown at him right now.
Crawfoso1973
I think Missi staying is a pipe dream. He will be a first round projection and I don't see any rational person turning that down.
bear2be2
Crawfoso1973 said:

I think Missi staying is a pipe dream. He will be a first round projection and I don't see any rational person turning that down.
I think you're probably right, but if he's a late first round projection, he should come back because he's a lottery talent.

Ignoring the obvious pay increase, the level of commitment from an organization changes the higher you're drafted. And if Yves came back and had the sophomore season he's capable of, he'd enter the league next year a much more polished, NBA-ready player. And that would likely be reflected in his draft standing.

I think he'll probably have a long, successful NBA career regardless of when he leaves. But a second college season would help him as a player and improve his chances of becoming -- and being paid like -- an NBA starter sooner.
Crawfoso1973
As a Baylor fan, selfishly that would be amazing to have him back.
TWD 1974
Crawfoso1973 said:

I would love to have both of them back, but not likely. Yves appears to be trending middle first round, and after the injury to Jonathan I would be unable to look either of these young men in the eye and say please set aside that $20-30mm guaranteed money.

I just hope they are getting the best possible advice.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
Yep, and with the risk of injury, if projected first round it just makes sense to go.
bear2be2
TWD 1974 said:

Crawfoso1973 said:

I would love to have both of them back, but not likely. Yves appears to be trending middle first round, and after the injury to Jonathan I would be unable to look either of these young men in the eye and say please set aside that $20-30mm guaranteed money.

I fully expect Missi to leave, and it's the right thing to do from a risk/reward standpoint if he's taken high enough. But he will almost certainly be leaving money on the table because he's a top-10 pick once he "ripens."
gobears20
Staff
ScottS
NIL can help here
TWD 1974
bear2be2 said:

TWD 1974 said:

Crawfoso1973 said:

I fully expect Missi to leave, and it's the right thing to do from a risk/reward standpoint if he's taken high enough. But he will almost certainly be leaving money on the table because he's a top-10 pick once he "ripens."
I would do handstands if he were to stay (mental ones, the actual would likely kill me). If it looked like either him or Jakobe might fall to end of 1st or top second round, they should stay as next year should be better. More probable is they will be looking at a range 8-20, for example. Thinking back on my 19-year-old self, I don't think you could have made the case with me that if I didn't take the $2.5mm this year, I could get a $4mm deal next year. Yeah, but I'd be taking the $2.5. I would also add that Yves, more than any player we have had in a while should be looking beyond the rookie numbers as he should be in the league for a long career.
Quinton
I could see Yves still available in the back half of the 1st round. I wouldn't be shocked if he was drafted in the 20s. Now the measurables might wow too many and someone takes top 15 pick on him. But I see upside to him returning and going top 10. Probably doesn't happen but there is a case.

Walter probably still goes top 13 and would be risky to come back unless the numbers really improved. Would risk hurting his stock badly if the efficiency was still poor in year 2. Leave some uncertainty and potential baked in.

Walter weighting the risk reward is to go for sure. Yves.. there are strong arguments both ways.
boognish_bear
Karab said:

parch said:

That NIL is an interesting X factor in this decision-making we didn't used to have.

I will never fault a player for chasing that bag at the next level… but a healthy NIL check could make the decision to come back for one more season a little more tempting than pre-NIL.
historian
If the scouts are telling them that they are lottery picks or at least first rounders then they are gone. They would be fools not to take the huge bonus check by signing with a franchise.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
bear2be2
historian said:

If the scouts are telling them that they are lottery picks or at least first rounders then they are gone. They would be fools not to take the huge bonus check by signing with a franchise.
I think Ja'Kobe should go regardless because there is legitimate risk of his draft stock falling with a return. But Missi is a lottery talent who will only get better with more experience. He'll be leaving money on the table if he leaves and is drafted in the mid to late first round.

That's not to say it might not be worth it to him. And the risk of an injury is real. But Yves is a top-10 talent. There's legitimate upside in his case IMO to bet on himself, especially if he can get a big NIL payday in the interim.
Jorkel
boognish_bear said:

Karab said:

parch said:

That NIL is an interesting X factor in this decision-making we didn't used to have.

I will never fault a player for chasing that bag at the next level… but a healthy NIL check could make the decision to come back for one more season a little more tempting than pre-NIL.

Neither are pulling $2.5+ mill a year in NIL. If they have first round grades they should go. The sooner you get in the NBA the sooner you get to the second contract. That's the one that matters most, assuming you are a quality player in the NBA you will get a big contract. Even if they become middle of the pack role players a 4yr/$40 mil second contract would be life changing.
Bleed Green
If you have a legit shot at being a lottery pick then it is a no brainer. Other than that there is a lot to consider. According to an article I read a couple of years ago, second contracts are close to only 50% of 1st rounders and 25% for 2nd rounders. Difference between pick 18 and pick 10 over their first contract is between $5.5- $6 mil. That is a big difference. If a kid can make good NIL money, is a mid to late 1st round projection, and can possibly move up to top 1st round with another year, then that is a big decision to make. Don't come at me with time value of money because 18-19 year old kids aren't investing their first year paycheck. I agree with the sentiment of some here that Walter should go because he can only damage his stock. Missi has a big decision to make. I think he needs to hit the gym and develop a consistent (30% or better) jump shot.
Baylor17
This seasons draft is weak compared to previous years, it may also be harder to move up draft stock next year and that has to be weighed as well.
ScottS
I feel both should stay. If they do they can go 1 2 in next years draft.
Jorkel
ScottS said:

LOL
OurOurs
Jorkel said:

ScottS said:

LOL

This got me. Thanks for the laughs!
Stefano DiMera
I've seen more than one scout say this is the weakest draft ever.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.