ESPN: Ranking all 85 national champions

1,180 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by Hotsauce
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/39901608/ranking-all-mens-ncaa-national-champions-including-2024-winner-uconn

Baylor comes in at #44:

"44. Baylor Bears, 2021 (28-2)

Playing in the Indianapolis "bubble" in the first post-pandemic bracket, the Bears faced a favored Gonzaga team that entered the title game at 31-0 as the overall No. 1 seed. BU promptly outscored the Bulldogs 29-10 in the first 10 minutes and cruised to a 16-point victory. Jared Butler hit four 3s, Davion Mitchell displayed his usual lockdown defense and Mark Vital grabbed eight offensive boards."
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
MrGolfguy
poppycock!
historian
Obviously it's very subjective. All of these kinds of rankings are.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
Nope, easily one of the best, definitely top 10
BBWCBear
I've watched many of the NC games over many years and obviously, I'm biased. I truly cannot remember a more dominant performance by a a NC team than BU.
If I missed one please remind me.
DP4LIFE
BBWCBear said:

I've watched many of the NC games over many years and obviously, I'm biased. I truly cannot remember a more dominant performance by a a NC team than BU.
Couldn't see the list - as I don't have ESPN+, but I do remember that UNLV team with Larry Johnson, Stacey Augmon, Greg Anthony, etc. destroy a good Duke team by 30 points in the championship game. I think it was 1990.
whitetrash
BBWCBear said:

In 2009 UNC beat MichSt in Detroit in the midst of the financial crisis, GM bankruptcy, etc. It was supposed to be a Cinderella story for MichSt, but less than 10 minutes in UNC was up 30-10, then just coasted the rest of the way.
Oldgrizzly
Bias and stupidity in the ranking. Waste of time looking at it.
Chuckroast
How quickly this ranking system forgets the hype Gonzaga had the year we beat them. Gonzaga was being touted by many as the greatest college basketball team of all time. We come out and dominate them, and not only are we viewed as a middle of the pack national championship team, but that Gonzaga team has been completely forgotten.
pitchspork
Chuckroast said:

How quickly this ranking system forgets the hype Gonzaga had the year we beat them. Gonzaga was being touted by many as the greatest college basketball team of all time. We come out and dominate them, and not only are we viewed as a middle of the pack national championship team, but that Gonzaga team has been completely forgotten.

Definitely feels like if that Gonzaga team, with all that hype, had actually won, then they'd coronate that team with a top 20 result in this list.

But because we wrecked them, they/we must not actually be that impressive, soo 44th place.
Hotsauce
pitchspork said:

Chuckroast said:

Definitely feels like if that Gonzaga team, with all that hype, had actually won, then they'd coronate that team with a top 20 result in this list.

But because we wrecked them, they/we must not actually be that impressive, soo 44th place.
Well, they would have been an undefeated champion in that scenario so it probably would have been a well-deserved ranking.

As it turned out, they ran into probably the 2nd (maybe 3rd) best college bball team of this millennium. That Gonzaga team was very good, so the shellacking that was laid down upon them was definitely more of an indicator of that Baylor team's prowess.

I'd have the 2021 Bears ranked only behind 2012 Kentucky and maybe 2017 Villanova of teams after 2000. Tough to compare teams from earlier eras.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.