Sampson- We're having to learn how to be a Big 12 school.

1,242 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by ImwithBU
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
TWD 1974
gobears20 said:

Doesn't it just touch the heart when you hear a millionaire cry, "I don't even have a private jet...and everyone else has one!"
historian
I suspect most millionaires don't own private jets because they don't need them and probably cannot afford them: cost of plane, pilot, storage, fuel, maintenance, taxes, insurance, etc. I bet all of that is an order of magnitude compared to a car, even your typical luxury car. Billionaires are more likely to have them but probably not all.

But Sampson was talking about the Houston basketball program, not himself personally. That's a different situation altogether. His need for a private plane was specifically professional, for recruiting, and makes perfect sense. He even explained this in the short clip. Even if he could afford one and wanted to pay for it himself, it might be violating ncaa rules.

The issue is more complicated than it might seem.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
ImwithBU
Not all that complicated. He is right and it should be expected. These programs are raking in 10s millions a year in athletic funds. He wouldnt be the only one using the plane. Im sure they need it for all of there coaches (of major sports).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.