Scrimmage - Baylor over Grand Canyon

2,745 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 17 hrs ago by Big12Fan2024
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
historian
This is a bit concerning: We should have been much better vs GCU. Hopefully it's because it was a scrimmage and it wasn't treated as a regular game.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
TWD 1974
historian said:

This is a bit concerning: We should have been much better vs GCU. Hopefully it's because it was a scrimmage and it wasn't treated as a regular game.

First and foremost, it was a scrimmage. Second, GCU won 30 Games last year and made it to the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament, losing to Alabama. Third, they have almost everyone back and some interesting additions. Fourth, never take a Drew coached team lightly.
Big12Fan2024
historian said:

I don't necessarily buyoff on preseason metrics or models but Grand Canyon is rated higher than:

UCF
Arizona St
Utah
WVU
Oklahoma St
Colorado

and almost ahead of TCU.

So basically they are almost projected to be the equivalent of a top half finisher in the Big 12.
True Grit
It was our first somewhat organized game with a lot of new faces. I bet Drew played a lot of different combinations.
Quinton
Arkansas beat Purdue in a scrimmage last year. This Gcu team is probably better than that Arkansas team.

A scrimmage is for trying everyone annd everything and Drew is more on the experimental side v winning side than the majority of coaches.
historian
TWD 1974 said:

historian said:

First and foremost, it was a scrimmage. Second, GCU won 30 Games last year and made it to the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament, losing to Alabama. Third, they have almost everyone back and some interesting additions. Fourth, never take a Drew coached team lightly.

All excellent points. Thanks
historian
Thanks to everyone else as well
Yogi
TWD 1974 said:

historian said:

And a fifth....

The team is basically a new team and needs more than a couple of weeks to gel.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
gobears20
Staff
TWD 1974
Yogi said:

TWD 1974 said:

historian said:

And a fifth....

The team is basically a new team and needs more than a couple of weeks to gel.

Agreed. It's going to take some time to get everyone working together--particularly on defense. Non Conference could look a little rough around the edges.
IvanBear
The result is for sure a bit concerning even if testing a bunch of rotations, I think it probably highlights we've got gaps at a few positions we're going to have to overwhelm with offense to compensate for.

I know GCU was good last year and returning a lot of guys, but also watching that team last year we likely didn't get tested defensively in this scrimmage.
historian
Another excellent point. We can add this as well: no reports of injuries. A couple years ago Langston Love tore his ACL during a preseason scrimmage & missed all the real games.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Do MLB fans get concerned at baseball preseason? This is silly.
historian
It's mostly just eagerness. I cannot speak for others but I have been ready for basketball season for weeks. Also, since football has given us little reason for enthusiasm this year, MBB & WBB will fill that void.
LIB,MR BEARS
gobears20 said:

That's one heck of a family get together. Homer must have been beaming
TWD 1974
LIB,MR BEARS said:

gobears20 said:

That's one heck of a family get together. Homer must have been beaming
Hall of Fame family.
TWD 1974
historian said:

Another excellent point. We can add this as well: no reports of injuries. A couple years ago Langston Love tore his ACL during a preseason scrimmage & missed all the real games.
Was wondering if we could find out who suited up for the game and who didn't. I would be surprised if Lanston was cleared. It looks as if Yanis was in street clothes. Everyone else ok?
IowaBear
Why wouldn't LL be cleared
TWD 1974
IowaBear said:

Drew on Oct. 9 interview said Doctors had yet to clear Love for contact. Not sure why that is. Did he have another procedure?
IowaBear
I sure hope not… that significantly limits Baylor's ceiling
TWD 1974
IowaBear said:

I sure hope not… that significantly limits Baylor's ceiling
Hopefully just cautionary. Based on his injury record, he might want to stay bubble rapped till November...
Quinton
IowaBear said:

Strangest injury history I've ever seen outside of Rising at Utah (CFB). From what I understand, he will be cleared probably late Oct but the issue is dude has to once again work his way into the flow and lineup. Not to mention conditioning.

Probably take a few losses because of it but need to make absolutely sure he is healthy for the majority of the year. Everyone has forgot how good the guy is. Top 10 scorer in the big 12 easily when healthy. Just hasn't been able to stay that way.
IowaBear
I'm just going to operate under the assumption he's going to play maybe 5-10 games this year. Even if he's cleared end of October there's a fat chance he gets re injured right away
IvanBear
Quinton said:

IowaBear said:

Strangest injury history I've ever seen outside of Rising at Utah (CFB). From what I understand, he will be cleared probably late Oct but the issue is dude has to once again work his way into the flow and lineup. Not to mention conditioning.

Probably take a few losses because of it but need to make absolutely sure he is healthy for the majority of the year. Everyone has forgot how good the guy is. Top 10 scorer in the big 12 easily when healthy. Just hasn't been able to stay that way.

If Wright isn't pushing for a first or second team all big 12, I do not remotely feel good about our chances this season without a fully healthy Langston Love. Our guards are, at best, marginally better than last year without him.
TXBEAR_bf
If Langston is limited already to start the season that is concerning. Structurally he is as solid as it gets with his frame being what it is, just the most random injuries. I would rather he play later in the pre-conference schedule and be fit, than rush into for lineup purposes. Our ceiling is impacted big time without him in the lineup. We are not super deep, so losing him would increase reliance on freshmen. That said I I think Robert Wright is going to be a big upside surprise. He doesn't have the draft potential like VJ, but I bet he comes out of the gates more polished and ready to contribute than most expect. He has been playing big time high school ball with a team loaded with college players. He will be ready.
Bear living in the woods of Bend Oregon
Big12Bear
TWD 1974 said:

historian said:

Was wondering if we could find out who suited up for the game and who didn't. I would be surprised if Lanston was cleared. It looks as if Yanis was in street clothes. Everyone else ok?
I saw an in-game action shot of Yanis with the ball from the scrimmage. Still had the brace on but was playing.
historian
Good question. I don't know. If you look at the clip closely you will have some clues.
historian
I have been gradually watching select games from the past few seasons starting with 2019-20. I'm still in the early conference games from a year ago. It's good to refresh my memory. We are going to miss Bridges and others.
TWD 1974
Big12Bear said:

TWD 1974 said:

historian said:

I saw an in-game action shot of Yanis with the ball from the scrimmage. Still had the brace on but was playing.
That is good to hear. So much of his game was on his verticality, so I suspect this will be a longer term project with him.
Quinton
Wright is one of the most skilled young players I've seen in a while. Shows flashes of Chris Paul in his game.

Obviously not nearly as good yet, but wouldn't be surprised if he isn't the second best freshman in the big 12.
billy21
historian said:

And Brothers don't beat up on Brothers.........important training scrimmage and a
lot of coaching, but overall, a "Learning training" game.
BUBBFAN
True Grit said:

It was our first somewhat organized game with a lot of new faces. I bet Drew played a lot of different combinations.

I'll bet Grand Canyon did also.
Big12Fan2024
For the record

On today's Field of 68 show the 6 man panel was almost unanimous on the surprise team most likely to make a run at a Final Four berth.

Grand Canyon University
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.