AP Top 25

1,796 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by Jorkel
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
historian
B12 is half of the top 10. I hope the league still has that distinction in January & March.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Quinton
Fair ranking. Love the upside of this team if Love stays healthy but In prove it mode as the national coverage won't give the benefit of the doubt anymore. Too many years with a weak defense. Time to turn that side of the ball around and make a run at a title.
boykin_spaniel
3 of top 5 and 5 of top 10. Let's roll in the March as a conference. As far as the Bears I agree with above poster saying time for defense to come back. Tough league and can't count on an offense to get you through March.
historian
Baylor schedule has 8 games against top 10 plus 4 more games against teams in the top 25.

Kansas, Arizona, & Houston each have only 9 games against teams on this list while UConn has only 7. Iowa State has 10. Texas has 11 but only 1 of those is ooc. It's insane how many SEC teams are on this list. I don't expect that in March.
IowaBear
SEC has been a good conference basketball wise for several years now….
Jorkel
IowaBear said:

Can't be…It's just the ESPN agenda…all of them are overrated…
IowaBear
According to our fanbase anyone not in the B12 is overrated. That's usually how it goes on here
historian
IowaBear said:

True but I don't know if all of those deserve that high a rank. Generally, I doubt preseason rankings for Texas regardless of which conference they are in. Now is no exception. A couple of the others are also doubtful.
IowaBear
You could say the same about the B12…
Assassin
Adding UConn would have been nice for both mens and womens
On Facebook at Memories of...
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Football in Texas, Texas Music, and our newest Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
historian
I would say probably only Cincinnati. Most of the Big 12 teams ranked are near the top and that's probably pretty accurate.
IowaBear
In what fantasy world does KU deserve pre season #1? By name and name only. Weren't they pre season #1 last year and finished what? 5 in the B12
Chamberman
IowaBear said:

In what fantasy world does KU deserve pre season #1?
In the same world that has Dickenson as the pre season POY!
Assassin
IowaBear said:

According to our fanbase anyone not in the B12 is overrated. That's usually how it goes on here
Our fanbase is always correct
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Football in Texas, Texas Music, and our newest Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Big12Fan2024
Some of our fans b itching about adding UConn are gonna wake up one day and understand in addition to getting one of the best brands in college basketball the more valuable component is that you get a huge part of the most visible and vocal media covering college sports now having a vested interest in watching and writing about Big 12 sports. That is gonna come in handy one day when the B1G and SEC have swallowed up the majority of the media's attention in both football and basketball. SEC has positioned itself nicely and the poll shows it.

You take UConn's crappy football program to get all the other benefits. Yormark knows this. It's too bad a bunch small thinking ADs and Presidents in the Big 12 don't, which is one of the many reasons why the SEC and B1G will continue to run laps around the Big 12 and ACC.

Besides at the rate our football program is going I'm not sure we have too many stones to throw at UConn.

historian
I'm not commenting about specific rankings. Most of those are going to be off preseason and I'm not that interested in being that specific. Kansas probably is not #1 overall but they are convincingly top ten and maybe top 5.
Assassin
Big12Fan2024 said:

Some of our fans b itching about adding UConn are gonna wake up one day and understand in addition to getting one of the best brands in college basketball the more valuable component is that you get a huge part of the most visible and vocal media covering college sports now having a vested interest in watching and writing about Big 12 sports. That is gonna come in handy one day when the B1G and SEC have swallowed up the majority of the media's attention in both football and basketball. SEC has positioned itself nicely and the poll shows it.

You take UConn's crappy football program to get all the other benefits. Yormark knows this. It's too bad a bunch small thinking ADs and Presidents in the Big 12 don't, which is one of the many reasons why the SEC and B1G will continue to run laps around the Big 12 and ACC.

Besides at the rate our football program is going I'm not sure we have too many stones to throw at UConn.
I would be okay with that. And it would be nice to see eyes directed our way from the huge amount of folks in NYC and Boston that are UConn fans
Chuckroast
historian said:

Baylor schedule has 8 games against top 10 plus 4 more games against teams in the top 25.

Kansas, Arizona, & Houston each have only 9 games against teams on this list while UConn has only 7. Iowa State has 10. Texas has 11 but only 1 of those is ooc. It's insane how many SEC teams are on this list. I don't expect that in March.

I was wondering the same thing about the SEC. Seven SEC teams ahead of Kentucky.
boykin_spaniel
Kentucky didn't exactly light the world on fire last year and their out of favor coach bounced to a rival. I think them not being high is actually fair. Some of the other teams look a wee inflated to me aside from Tennessee and Auburn.
Chuckroast
boykin_spaniel said:

Kentucky didn't exactly light the world on fire last year and their out of favor coach bounced to a rival. I think them not being high is actually fair. Some of the other teams look a wee inflated to me aside from Tennessee and Auburn.

I agree. Honestly, I don't know what to expect from Pope or Kentucky this year, but I'm surprised the media is that down on them. It seems they would give them The benefit of the doubt until they proved themselves to be only the 8th best team in the SEC. That being said, they are still ranked, so I guess they are getting some respect.
historian
That's reasonable. Texas is always overrated (except football this year). I think OU, Ole Miss, & Bama are probably overrated too but I'm unsure (no doubt Bama is great, but not #2). TBH, preseason rankings are always an unreliable mess. It doesn't matter much. We will gave a much better idea where everyone really is by December. This doesn't mean the AP poll won't still mess it up a bit.
historian
I'm glad the two SEC teams we will play (Arky & maybe Tennessee are ranked). It's good for our resume.

This is the best schedule we have had since 2020-21 in terms of ranked opponents.
Chuckroast
historian said:

I'm glad the two SEC teams we will play (Arky & maybe Tennessee are ranked). It's good for our resume.

This is the best schedule we have had since 2020-21 in terms of ranked opponents.
Arky was insanely talented last year, but they were all really young, and it didn't fully translate into success. Going into the draft, I think they had 3 first round projections and one second rounder. I don't know how it actually turned out. With Calipari there, there should be a lot of excitement, so regardless of how good they turn out to be, it will be a marquee game.

Our pre-season schedule is ridiculous.
Jorkel
Arky had one scholarship player left on the roster when Coach Cal arrived. He pretty much built a team from scratch.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.