Story Poster
Baylor Baseball

Coronavirus Lost

March 15, 2020

Paradise Lost is a poem of the fall of man. The loss of innocence. Battle of good and evil. It’s elements ring true now, with the beginning of the cancellation of normalcy. The cancellation of a time we love, of a tradition beginning in March of the rise of Cinderella’s and favorites. Of the joy of winning and the agony of defeat. 

Many times our favorite athletes see their careers end in a final college game. Some unfortunately end due to injury. While others are fortunate to move to the professional level, but the purity of the game in college gives alumni and fans a feeling of being part of them. The 2019-20 season didn’t offer the opportunity for the athletes to decide it on the playing field. The former Bears will now have a what if hanging over their college careers.  The fans are left with a loss of not seeing the games play out. Milton talked of innocence lost, but this is about National Championship opportunities lost. Baylor had a true opportunity lost for four national titles. Imagine the joy those bring to the players, the fans, the alumni, and even shops selling new gear. 

Men’s Basketball

Baylor’s best chance to make the championship game in over 70 years never played a post-season tournament game. All the hours in the offseason, in the season, in the weight room, pre-game walk throughs, and post-game sessions lost. Looking back and guessing what if shouldn’t take away from all the weeks as the top team in basketball, the 23 game win streak, and post season accolades.

Women’s Basketball

The defending National Champions suffered two losses during the season and one was without All-American Lauren Cox. The other was just one of those games which doesn’t go your way and in the end an official decided the contest. Cox is headed to the WNBA, Te’a Cooper and Juicy Landrum will be playing professionally as well. Erin DeGrate came to Baylor to win a three titles and she only made it 1/3 of the way. 

Acrobatics and Tumbling

Felicia Mulkey had won nine National Championships in a row. Her squad defeated their biggest challenger, Oregon, just over two weeks ago. Now, the seniors going for their fourth in a row are now home or headed to the workforce if an extension isn’t granted.

Men’s Tennis

Baylor was ready to return to prominence with the addition of Jenson Brooksby arrived with a minor injury in January and never played a competitive match for the Bears. Without the top player on the team, the Bears likely were headed deep into the NCAA tournament and with him were a favorite to bring home the title. 

These seasons ended prematurely, but the joy should always remain for what was seen are memories, our memories of greatness.

Discussion from...

Coronavirus Lost

6,530 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jumpinjoe
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has there been any news about the NCAA allowing seniors another year of eligibility? No doubt some of them might want to consider it.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
historian said:

Has there been any news about the NCAA allowing seniors another year of eligibility? No doubt some of them might want to consider it.
They have mentioned it, but how will it work. How will scholarship limitations be handled? Will baseball and softball equivalency sports be allowed to have those athletes back at no cost?
historian
I guess they have plenty of time to work out the details. I'm mainly concerned that they are not going to back out once they realize how complicated it is. Also, no doubt we are all curious as to whether or not Freddie Gillespie, Lauren Cox, Te'a Cooper, Juicy Landrum, etc. will take advantage.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
historian said:

I guess they have plenty of time to work out the details. I'm mainly concerned that they are not going to back out once they realize how complicated it is. Also, no doubt we are all curious as to whether or not Freddie Gillespie, Lauren Cox, Te'a Cooper, Juicy Landrum, etc. will take advantage.
Freddie is likely being drafted. Lauren is a 1st rounder. T'ea and Juicy would be the questions, but T'ea is a likely draft pick as well.
historian
Pretty much as I expected. We are going to miss them.
nevadafoothill
this thread doesnt talk about coronavirus
BluesBear
I can remember lining up outside Ferrell Center to get signatures of the Women's National Champions team...

I think it would be really "special" if (covid19 dies down by mid-April) if the school brought together ALL the spring sport teams and allowed fans to meet/greet for signatures, etc.

Very special year for Baylor Sports, etc.
historian
Nice idea but won't happen. First of all, it's unlikely this virus panic will be done in a few weeks. I've heard some predictions of late summer. I hope they are wrong. The economy is already taking a huge hit. Second, even if it ended in the next 2-3 weeks, it would take time to organize something and everyone will be in a frenzy trying to recover from the mess and get their lives back in order. That will take time too.
jumpinjoe
There is a simple solution to the scholarship cap if they let seniors have another year for the year they lost. Just don't count the scholarships for returning seniors in the official count.

Applies only to returning seniors on the prior year roster. Transfers not allowed for these seniors, so the phantom scholarship is not eligible at another school for a player who did not play for that School.
Joined BaylorFans in 1999 under username jumpinjoe. Have always been Jumpinjoe. Proud 4 Year Baylor letterman and 1968 graduate and charter member of Quartermiler U, produced school record in 400 IH.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.