What's It Gonna Take to Defeat The Zags

4,695 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by setshot
RegentCoverup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Timme is good with the ball in his hands, but on defense, he doesn't switch or move side to side well.

I hope we attack him and make him move.
This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
Michibear
Kispert, Timme, and Suggs. Ayayi is good, too. They are a handful, I think.

Their top 4 may be better than our top 4, but I don't think they are better than our top 8. And that's our (not so) secret sauce.

Keep our legs fresh, stay out of foul trouble, and harass them so that they relinquish the ball.

RegentCoverup
I think we are faster as a team, but Suggs and Kispert can score. Few teams have really stopped them.
Louise Romano
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Timme is good with the ball in his hands, but on defense, he doesn't switch or move side to side well.

I hope we attack him and make him move.
Deve attaccare il canestro e costringere Timme a fare un gioco. Non posso cercare di sparare prima. Entra dentro e poi tiralo fuori. Try say, force Timme make playa. Inside out par ofense tonite. UCLA guy charge pero 2 guys on left to make shot...spalancata o wide open mi think.
gobears20
Staff
Force turnovers! We should get some open looks at three and we
Need to hit as many as we can.

One concern is we switch a lot on defense and have mismatches that teams can take advantage of.
RegentCoverup
gobears20 said:

Force turnovers! We should get some open looks at three and we
Need to hit as many as we can.

One concern is we switch a lot on defense and have mismatches that teams can take advantage of.
Very true.

They'll punch it inside for dunks and it could end up being crowded under the basket with their size. Not a great matchup for us.
BUCANDOIT82
Will we meet Gonzaga in March Madness again this year?
Task Force 2015
If the Zags can recover from Coach Few's one game suspension.
historian
Too many questions about both teams, considering what was list. I guess they are #1 again because they still have Timme & we are ranked lower preseason because we lost Butler, Mitchell & Teague. If our new team can step up & guard the way those guys did then we can probably beat anybody. That is a very big "if".
BUCANDOIT82
Very big if? Ha! If healthy, book a repeat!
setshot
They also got the top incoming frosh player in the country, and another who was a top ten player. The top freshman is 7'1" with exceptional perimeter skill, including accuracy from three point range, a capable penetrator and ball handler, and the ability to be an intimidator at the rim. It is commonly assumed that he will be the #1 player taken in next June's NBA draft. Gonzaga seems to be the hot spot for outstanding young talent, these days.
historian
Interesting contrast with Baylor: Drew gets players to come in & stay for awhile so they develop into better players. Many even red shirt before playing so they are that much better. That's one reason we won the natty: they played together longer & played against some resolution great players in practice. That may be the #1 reason to be optimistic about this season: Mayer, Flagler, etc spent the last 1-2 years playing against Butler, Mitchell, Teague, & Vital in practice every day. No doubt they are better players for it.
Crawfoso1973
Not necessarily a contrast. Brown might be one-and-done, as will Keyonte.
historian
If they are like most of Drew's recruits, they will stick around for awhile.
Adriacus Peratuun
setshot said:

They also got the top incoming frosh player in the country, and another who was a top ten player. The top freshman is 7'1" with exceptional perimeter skill, including accuracy from three point range, a capable penetrator and ball handler, and the ability to be an intimidator at the rim. It is commonly assumed that he will be the #1 player taken in next June's NBA draft. Gonzaga seems to be the hot spot for outstanding young talent, these days.
The thing about #1 recruits:

They are generally good college players as freshmen, they are occasionally great college players as freshmen, they are rarely elite college players as freshmen [Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Durant, Zion Williamson….but not many others]. Holmgrem will offer them rim protection they lacked, but he isn't the pure shooter that Kispert was for them. Better rebounding and D, slightly less jump shooting. And there are real questions about whether he is physically ready for college contact.

To be honest, Baylor exposed some shooting issues that Gonzaga had…….great motion O and slashers but not necessarily a great jump shooting team overall.

And Bolton from ISU may be a better "on paper" than "in reality" addition. Uncommitted defender. Volatile personality. Streaky shooter. Deadly when on, problematic when not on.

Clearly a top team, but far more question marks than most are admitting.
BUCANDOIT82
Holmgren is very talented and potentially has a great future. But he is rail thin and will get manhandled this upcoming year.

FYI you left out Anthony Davis who personally cost Baylor a Final Four appearance.
Adriacus Peratuun
BUCANDOIT82 said:

Holmgren is very talented and potentially has a great future. But he is rail thin and will get manhandled this upcoming year.

FYI you left out Anthony Davis who personally cost Baylor a Final Four appearance.
Laughably, Anthony Davis was simply a Top 10 recruit while his Kentucky co-signee Michael Gilchrist was the consensus #1. They got that one wrong.

I almost didn't include Carmelo because he was not a consensus #1 like Zion and Durant.
setshot
Durant as a freshman was not much more strongly built than Holmgren. I have watched several of his games, including one against Emoni Bates' team, and he was equally effective against all of them. He is the real deal, and Timme will benefit from having him on the court.

It is true that some High School Players of the Year who are one and dones in college struggle early in their pro careers, sometimes because they are chosen by teams of need who have to play them before they are ready, but a 7'1" player with Holmgren's skill set is hard to predict because they are so rare. He will grow into his body in time, but whether he will add a lot of heft is problematic. He will, however, be a huge help to Gonzaga next year.
What he does after that will be interesting to follow. As of now, I think that Gonzaga should be ranked #1.
BUCANDOIT82
Respect you Setshot and I appreciate all of your insights, but Baylor should be ranked Number 1. It's not going to be close!
historian
I don't care too much where Baylor is ranked now. What matters far more is how we are ranked in the tournament seeding and after March Madness.
Adriacus Peratuun
This video screams at me:

after hearing throughout the NC game last Spring that the Baylor team looked like it lifted weights with the football program, have to say that the current Gonzaga team looks like it doesn't have a weight room.
historian
There was a funny tweet by someone about that back in April.
Porteroso
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

dribble penetration aimed at Timme. He is not a good defender and his side to side movement is terrible. Slip passes after our guards penetrate to a cutting help player will work well. Timme drew some lucky charges last time but he comes out unbalanced, so getting around him is fairly easy.

Defense will be difficult. Got to keep Kispert and Suggs from getting easy buckets. If we can do that, we will be in this game and in control, but it's a hard task. Main thing is not to give up easy buckets in the paint or really high percentage shots.

I wouldn't vary our plan too much, we have them with athleticism and speed, need Vital to play a solid first half and control fouls.

A basketball scholar on this site tried to say Mark Few was the best coach in the game. But that would mean explaining one of the worst draft busts since Stacy King. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Morrison

That would make him a really good coach for Adam to excel so much in college and not do well away from his tutelage.

It's not like we have NBA superstars at Baylor. We have some contributors but nobody dominant.

This necro isn't my fault, but turns out we might have had some really good nba players on our team. Superstars? Maybe, maybe not, but plenty of superstars weren't ready to contribute on day 1 like Mitchell/Butler. They might turn out to be superstars.
BUCANDOIT82
If you have seen Mitchell or Butler play in preseason it is obvious they are both 2 of the top 10 players in this draft. Now consider our team had no drop off in performance when Mayer and Flagler entered the game even though almost all of the time they were in the game together either Mitchell, or Butler, or Teague sat out. I predict we will view them a year from now the way we are viewing Butler and Mitchell.
setshot
Baylor lost four starters, all of them superior at their position, all loaded with both talent and experience. Few teams can take that kind of loss and be considered to be at the same level the year following. I do not question the expectations that some on this board seem to have, but I am a bit more skeptical that we can duplicate our feat of last season until I see how we stack up in the preconference schedule. We will be tested and it will give us a very good picture of the leadership status on this team, something that cannot be easily predicted but is one of the essential ingredients to major success. We will be much better than some of the basketball experts realize, but I am not sure that we deserve to be ranked #1 until we prove it on the court.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.