Essentially Sports.com: Scott Drew "Jared Butler [has] not made a final decision"

6,198 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by allstate2000
IowaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BINGO!!
Crawfoso1973
allstate2000 said:

TWD 74 said:

Crawfoso1973 said:

BUCANDOIT82 said:

I love Jared Butler's game and hope he goes someplace he can star. It would be shocking if he came back!
Let's keep our expectations realistic I love Butler but he won't star in the NBA, however I think he can be a very effective 6th man in the right situation
Unless you are an old Boston Celtics fan like me, you may not remember a guard out of Kansas named JoJo White. Butler reminds me of JoJo White: there was and is and elegance to their games that I love to see. JoJo had a long career in Boston, playing with Havlicek and then Bird, won a few championships, I believe he made the hall of fame. He could get you 30 on a given night, but was always more successful as the third option, the guy that set up the star. I could that kind of success for Jared, if he can land with a good team.

Not saying he's gonna end up there, but Jared is the same height as Steph Curry and in my opinion his defense is better than Curry's was in college.
And?
allstate2000
Crawfoso1973 said:

allstate2000 said:

TWD 74 said:

Crawfoso1973 said:

BUCANDOIT82 said:

I love Jared Butler's game and hope he goes someplace he can star. It would be shocking if he came back!
Let's keep our expectations realistic I love Butler but he won't star in the NBA, however I think he can be a very effective 6th man in the right situation
Unless you are an old Boston Celtics fan like me, you may not remember a guard out of Kansas named JoJo White. Butler reminds me of JoJo White: there was and is and elegance to their games that I love to see. JoJo had a long career in Boston, playing with Havlicek and then Bird, won a few championships, I believe he made the hall of fame. He could get you 30 on a given night, but was always more successful as the third option, the guy that set up the star. I could that kind of success for Jared, if he can land with a good team.

Not saying he's gonna end up there, but Jared is the same height as Steph Curry and in my opinion his defense is better than Curry's was in college.
And?

I thought the implication was obvious? He could end up surprising people in the NBA despite his height?
MattyIce
A GM would lose their job if they drafted Mayer in the first round, and that is the only reason he should leave is if he is guaranteed a 1st round pick
Crawfoso1973
allstate2000 said:

Crawfoso1973 said:

allstate2000 said:

TWD 74 said:

Crawfoso1973 said:

BUCANDOIT82 said:

And?

I thought the implication was obvious? He could end up surprising people in the NBA despite his height?
So since Butler is the same height as Curry, he will surprise and be a first ballot HOF player and one of the greatest to ever play the game?

Why can't we love our players and at the same time be intelligent and realistic? How about let's see if he can be the next Jordan Clarkson or Darius Garland before comparing him to one of the all-time greats because they are the same height.
allstate2000
Crawfoso1973 said:

allstate2000 said:

Crawfoso1973 said:

allstate2000 said:

TWD 74 said:

Crawfoso1973 said:

BUCANDOIT82 said:

And?

So since Butler is the same height as Curry, he will surprise and be a first ballot HOF player and one of the greatest to ever play the game?

Why can't we love our players and at the same time be intelligent and realistic? How about let's see if he can be the next Jordan Clarkson or Darius Garland before comparing him to one of the all-time greats because they are the same height.
I specifically said that I wasn't saying he was going to end up anywhere near Curry's level. Calm down.
allstate2000
allstate2000 said:

Crawfoso1973 said:

allstate2000 said:

Crawfoso1973 said:

allstate2000 said:

TWD 74 said:

Crawfoso1973 said:

BUCANDOIT82 said:

And?

I specifically said that I wasn't saying he was going to end up anywhere near Curry's level. Calm down.
Do you think that Jared is 1) Actually not as tall as Curry, or 2) Not as good a defender as Curry was at Davidson? Unless you disagree with one of those points you aren't saying anything I didn't say.
EasyE
As I posted in another thread, Butler reminds me of Joe Dumars. Somebody, please tell me in what ways he is not comparable at Jared's current age to Dumars in stature, athleticism, and skillset.

The only response I heard was talking about how productive Dumars was in college (at a lower level), not how their games compared.
allstate2000
EasyE said:

As I posted in another thread, Butler reminds me of Joe Dumars. Somebody, please tell me in what ways he is not comparable at Jared's current age to Dumars in stature, athleticism, and skillset.

The only response I heard was talking about how productive Dumars was in college (at a lower level), not how their games compared

different eras but good point of comparison IMO. I think NBA teams are just gunshy about smaller players now since you have so many larger guys with similar skillsets, which was less common in Dumars' era.
Adriacus Peratuun
EasyE said:

The only response I heard was talking about how productive Dumars was in college (at a lower level), not how their games compared.

Dumars was a D first O second player.

Butler is an O first D second player.

Dumars was a better athlete. Butler is more skilled.

Dumars was a finisher not a creator. Butler is both a finisher and a creator.
BUbackerinET
I'm preparing for life post-Butler, but it would be terrific if I could stop
EvilTroyAndAbed
Two pages on this subject in order to learn two things we already know

Butler is 100 percent gone
Mayer is 100 percent back
historian
Has either of those been confirmed? I know that both were always highly likely but so far it's all been lots of speculation.
Greenbear
Butler can play, but he is not exactly NBA prototype. He is not the greatest athlete. He is a great shooter, has great character, a great team player and leader and is coachable. I don't know if he will be able to penetrate as well in NBA as he did in college, but he has a long-range shot that should really help in NBA. I bet he makes it and sticks.

Mayer - love me some Matt Mayer, but this discussion will end here. Not even close to being ready physically, mentally, athletically for the NBA. Super-talented player with a bright NBA future ahead of him, but he needs to double down and make the most out of the next 12 months to get ready.
BUCANDOIT82
Greenbear said:

Butler can play, but he is not exactly NBA prototype. He is not the greatest athlete. He is a great shooter, has great character, a great team player and leader and is coachable. I don't know if he will be able to penetrate as well in NBA as he did in college, but he has a long-range shot that should really help in NBA. I bet he makes it and sticks.

Mayer - love me some Matt Mayer, but this discussion will end here. Not even close to being ready physically, mentally, athletically for the NBA. Super-talented player with a bright NBA future ahead of him, but he needs to double down and make the most out of the next 12 months to get ready.

Butler will step right into the rotation on an NBA team. His game will translate well to the next level. While he does not have elite athleticism, most NBA guards don't. That's what makes the elite athletes with skills special. Think a better version of Jalen Brunson and a better long range shooter.

Don't understand Mayer not being athletically ready for the NBA. He has elite athleticism; fast, quick reflexes, can really jump. He has the second highest release point on his jumper that I have seen from a college player. Kevin Durant still holds the highest release point I have seen. On defense Mayer switched on to players 1 through 5. That is not something most players 6' 9" tall can do, even in the NBA.
allstate2000
BUCANDOIT82 said:

Greenbear said:

Butler will step right into the rotation on an NBA team. His game will translate well to the next level. While he does not have elite athleticism, most NBA guards don't. That's what makes the elite athletes with skills special. Think a better version of Jalen Brunson and a better long range shooter.

Don't understand Mayer not being athletically ready for the NBA. He has elite athleticism; fast, quick reflexes, can really jump. He has the second highest release point on his jumper that I have seen from a college player. Kevin Durant still holds the highest release point I have seen. On defense Mayer switched on to players 1 through 5. That is not something most players 6' 9" tall can do, even in the NBA.

Mayer does have elite athleticism but it is really raw. Don't know why he wouldn't want to get an injury insurance policy then come back for a year to make a run for a repeat championship, get a Baylor degree, and likely improve his lifetime earnings by a likely $10-$20 million as a lottery pick. He played at Austin Westlake so no way he has an immediate need for second round/G League money like some might
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.