New Commit - Dale Bonner - D2 Transfer

6,512 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BUCANDOIT82
IowaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nothing wrong with differing views. I do agree that you can move KB around. He's position less so to speak. I've always been high on Dain. Drew's loyal to upper class men. And like you said will most likely be down to an 8 man rotation. If Drew were ever going to go legit 10 deep it's this year
Gobearsone
I really don't see where anyone can doubt Drew's ability to spot talent from whatever level and develop that player to their fullest potential. I bet Donner is going to be incredible whatever role he fits in to.
Gobearsone
Seems to have a bit of Davion burst to the rack, and similar hops.
Ewalker80
Important for practice depth and in case of injury to fill out the roster with a versatile guard. Likely won't need him much next year unless he comes in and lights the world on fire, but I assume they think he has a high upside.
gobears20
Staff
Great Baylor Merchandise -> https://bit.ly/2M8DuHk
Edmond Bear
Crawfoso1973 said:

IowaBear said:

Where did I say that was bad? Again putting words into my mouth. I simply said we WONT be as reliant on guard play this year. Why you ask? Guys like KB/JTT/Dain etc. will have guys who can score inside we haven't had that in years past. How you came to that conclusion from my post I'll never know
I view Kentall Brown more as a guard TBH. Dain is a good but you can't assume he will get minutes any more than Bonner or the other guards. Way premature to assume we won't be a guard-oriented team like the team that just won it.

Watching you two argue is hilarious because you are both wrong.

He's not getting any minutes next year.

He has already stated that he expects to sit out a year, get bigger, and learn.

Gobearsone
Edmond Bear said:

Crawfoso1973 said:

IowaBear said:

Where did I say that was bad? Again putting words into my mouth. I simply said we WONT be as reliant on guard play this year. Why you ask? Guys like KB/JTT/Dain etc. will have guys who can score inside we haven't had that in years past. How you came to that conclusion from my post I'll never know
I view Kentall Brown more as a guard TBH. Dain is a good but you can't assume he will get minutes any more than Bonner or the other guards. Way premature to assume we won't be a guard-oriented team like the team that just won it.

Then he really does fit the Drew system and I know he will be a huge contributor in 2 years.
EasyE
365 said:

IowaBear said:

Where did I say he don't get minutes? But you're either delusional or uneducated if you think he's playing over those 3. And I have my doubts he will play over Love. Doesn't mean he won't play and have a role.
You said he'd struggle to get any minutes at all. Go re-read what you wrote. You also assumed that he was a walk-on which is laughable considering his output as a freshman and sophomore.

Did you think a D3 player like Freddie Gillispie would end up being a BETTER option than Tristan Clark, and now playing in the NBA putting up solid numbers for the Raptors? It's not like Flagler had tough competition either. Look at Brady Heslip's time at BC. The dude was a benchwarmer.

Who knows how Bonner will develop, but he sure as hell will get playing time immediately and with that 3-point percentage, he's easily in the discussion for a starting role.

Good grief, quit bickering. You sound like my children.
EasyE
Is he related to Cam or Melvin?
Crawfoso1973
Edmond Bear said:

Crawfoso1973 said:

IowaBear said:

Link? I would find that interesting since he already redshirted one year. Good for us though if he's willing to be patient and develop in another redshirt year.
Edmond Bear
Crawfoso1973 said:

Edmond Bear said:

Crawfoso1973 said:

IowaBear said:

Link? I would find that interesting since he already redshirted one year. Good for us though if he's willing to be patient and develop in another redshirt year.

He stated it in an interview with Ashley Hodge. The story is on the premium board.
contrario
21 ppg comes off of 15 shots per game. I'm not sure where he even finds 10 shots per game on our roster this year. Looks like a decent pickup, but we'll see how it all plays out.
Jacques Strap
Love following an overlooked out of HS transfer story like Freddie, Macio, Dale Bonner.

Read a story some time back where an Alabama football player said something like "our practices are more competitive than most of our games". Great level to strive for.
guadalupeoso
365 said:

IowaBear said:

No I don't, not when you have Akinjo, Cryer, Flagler as your 3 primary guards and a very very talented Love. Will he play at least early on? Heck yes. But he's not starting, not playing big minutes take it to the bank.
Those weren't Bonner's numbers.

Those were Derrick White's numbers. At the D2 level. Before he transferred to Colorado, was named All-Pac 12, and was drafted in the first round by the Spurs where he's currently the team's starting SG making 17mil per year.

Bonner's numbers were actually slightly more impressive.

Love the Derrick White comparison (in terms of journey, I have no clue if their play style is similar). Go Spurs Go!
bear2be2
DanaDane said:

Kid obviously transferred here because he has a dream of the NBA or pro ball in general. Although the immediate eligibility waiver is open, he may have already talked with the coaches and after looking at the successes of Freddie, Teague, Mitchell and Flagler relaizes that a redshirt year fits into that plan if it gives him a better chance of achieving his dream. Or, he might become a valuable role player on next year's team. You just never know in these situations.

The story I read said he redshirted at his previous stop. But it also said he still has three years of eligibility remaining (I assume because of COVID), so you could conceivably redshirt him without actually redshirting him.
bear2be2
Ewalker80 said:

Important for practice depth and in case of injury to fill out the roster with a versatile guard. Likely won't need him much next year unless he comes in and lights the world on fire, but I assume they think he has a high upside.

Other than Flagler, our guard rotation is wide open. I think it's silly for anyone to be making declarative statements about who will and won't be filling certain roles next season.

And folks should have learned from our transfer history not to doubt kids from lower levels of play. If Drew thinks they can play and contribute at this level, there's a very good chance he's correct.

And lastly, for those trashing Division II, it's a higher level of play than junior college, and we've had a number of excellent starters and rotation players come from those ranks. If you can play, you can play.
BUbackerinET
Hope he shoots better than 91%, coming from D2 - otherwise, he may not get to play much. D2 clearly is no qualification to play (or coach) at a D1 school. Having said that, looks like a nice get.
BUbackerinET
Ironic how willing most of the fans on this site warmly welcome a D2 player (as do I,) but ridicule, and claim lack of readiness of a potential D2 very successful coach...
chorne68
He sure looked good to me. Glad we have him.
bear2be2
BUbackerinET said:

Ironic how willing most of the fans on this site warmly welcome a D2 player (as do I,) but ridicule, and claim lack of readiness of a potential D2 very successful coach...
Both are silly. There's talent at all levels. It just needs to be mined harder at the lower levels.

Baylor's own Grant McCasland was a successful DII coach, who would have been a successful DI coach with or without his time as an assistant on our staff. Belittling the best those ranks have to offer is dumb.
MaxTeller
IowaBear said:

Are we not allowed to our opinions? No one thought Freddie would do anything especially his first year. Anyone saying otherwise is a damm liar. I don't think he will play much at all next year. If he does I'll eat my crow. We're Not exactly lacking when it comes to talented guards already on the roster. Next years team won't need to be as reliant on guard play as years past. That's also working against him. It's not that laughable to think a D2 player is going to be walk on.
You are allowed to have an opinion, you are just a condescending a$$
MaxTeller
If Coach Drew and his staff like this kid then I like this young man too!
IowaBear
Interesting take, not sure I fit the definition of a condescending ass based on my comments here but to each their own. Glad you got that off your chest. I'm sure you feel much better now
Jorkel
bear2be2 said:

DanaDane said:

Kid obviously transferred here because he has a dream of the NBA or pro ball in general. Although the immediate eligibility waiver is open, he may have already talked with the coaches and after looking at the successes of Freddie, Teague, Mitchell and Flagler relaizes that a redshirt year fits into that plan if it gives him a better chance of achieving his dream. Or, he might become a valuable role player on next year's team. You just never know in these situations.

The story I read said he redshirted at his previous stop. But it also said he still has three years of eligibility remaining (I assume because of COVID), so you could conceivably redshirt him without actually redshirting him.

If he has redshirted a year already, and got the free Covid year already, does he get to redshirt again?
IowaBear
Please do show me where I "ridiculed him"
Your OPINION is that I ridiculed him based off the notion he's from D2 and I didn't se him playing this year based off the talent we have at the guard position.
IowaBear
Yeah it makes one a "condescending ass" which is interesting because I didn't say anything bad about the kid
bear2be2
Jorkel said:

bear2be2 said:

DanaDane said:

If he has redshirted a year already, and got the free Covid year already, does he get to redshirt again?

He could sit out a year, it just wouldn't technically be a redshirt year, as he'd lose the year of eligibility. But seeing how he's been given an extra one, it's kind of a six in one, half dozen in the other situation. It might be a perfect situation because we can treat it like a redshirt year but actually get him some situational playing time, if that is, indeed, the plan. It should be fun to watch regardless.
MaxTeller
IowaBear said:

Interesting take, not sure I fit the definition of a condescending ass based on my comments here but to each their own. Glad you got that off your chest. I'm sure you feel much better now
your body of work fits the definition nicely.
IowaBear
Oh does it now Maximus? I'm pretty fair on these boards. But again to each their own. Not going to have a posting match with ya
BluesBear
Slightly confused - he wasn't offered a DI scholarship by anyone two years ago? Why are we high on a guy playing @ D2 level? I will refrain making any cheerleading comments until I see him on the court against our current roster of guards..

Bear8084
TrustTheProcess said:

Slightly confused - he wasn't offered a DI scholarship by anyone two years ago? Why are we high on a guy playing @ D2 level? I will refrain making any cheerleading comments until I see him on the court against our current roster of guards..

He has good stats even for DII and most on here know what CSD does with diamond in the rough players like this. There are some things to be excited about with this transfer and I am glad we got him.

Welcome and Sic 'Em, Bonner!
BUCANDOIT82
TrustTheProcess said:

Two thoughts...First is he was probably on a full scholarship since unlike Division III where no scholarships are offered Division II Men's Basketball is allowed 10 full scholarships (which can be split into partials for more players). He is playing at a level way above the top high school classifications in each state.

Second, there are a bunch of guys 6'1" to 6' 3" who can really play and some like Flagler fall through the cracks. All year I didn't see us play against but two guards I would put in our rotation over Flagler...Cunningham and Suggs.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.