Big 12 happenings

1,134,124 Views | 5531 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by slimecap
slimecap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
slimecap

FORMER HEAD COACH

Missouri Western State University
Candi Whitaker has become the 9th head coach at Missouri Western.

Link
https://gogriffons.com/news/2019/4/16/candi-whitaker-named-head-womens-basketball-coach.aspx
Florda_mike
slimecap said:

FORMER HEAD COACH

Missouri Western State University
Candi Whitaker has become the 9th head coach at Missouri Western.

Link
https://gogriffons.com/news/2019/4/16/candi-whitaker-named-head-womens-basketball-coach.aspx

See my other post but again, Baylor needs to hire author of this article to head marketing and sign him to a lifetime contract

Any positives of the gal that left Tech how she did is undeserved.

She is easy on the eyes but ..... that's all I gotta say about that
Pale Rider
Yes.
slimecap

FORMER ASST COACH ERIN GRANT

Entire press release
https://usctrojans.com/news/2019/4/23/mark-trakh-adds-erin-grant-to-usc-womens-basketball-coaching-staff.aspx
slimecap

2019 JUNKANOO JAM

Resorts World Bimini in the Bahamas

Bimini Division
Nov 29 Kansas State v Memphis
Nov 29 LSU v Michigan State
Nov 30 Bimini Division 3rd Place Game
Nov 30 Bimini Division Championship game

Junkanoo Division
Nov 28 Georgia Tech v Seton Hall
Nov 28 Rutgers v Vanderbilt
Nov 29 Junkanoo Division 3rd Place Game
Nov 30 Junkanoo Division Championship game

The Junkanoo Jam is entering its 17th year in the Bahamas as a top NCAA Division I women's basketball tournament. Originally held in Freeport on Grand Bahama Island, the tournament was moved to the island of Bimini in 2016.

All games will stream live via www.FloHoops.com. To access the live event coverage and replays of the Junkanoo Jam, users must sign up to become FloPRO subscribers on FloHoops.com.

- Vanderbilt WBB website, 24 April 2019
slimecap

2020 VERBAL COMMIT

bawitdaball
slimecap said:

2020 VERBAL COMMIT

So....who was the one school that didn't offer?
DFW Bill
Ranked #55 by ESPN, #16 Point Guard and not in the Top 60 of Prospects Nation.

I doubt Baylor ever recruited her. 9 of 10 Big 12 schools offered her???
Brian Ethridge
Staff
slimecap said:

2020 VERBAL COMMIT

She's gonna lose in college.
Florda_mike
Iowa St is quickly becoming #2 in Big 12

Better them than UT and makes conference stronger which is good for Baylor
geewago
Florda_mike said:

Iowa St is quickly becoming #2 in Big 12

Better them than UT and makes conference stronger which is good for Baylor
I seriously doubt that ISU will finish #2 in the League next year as they did in 2019. They are losing Middleton and Carleton. They were the bread and butter of that team and I don't see who is going to replace. I'm sure Joens, Wise and Scott will step it up a little next year but I doubt they will be able to beat TX or WV for the 2nd place spot.

They do have some decent recruits coming in 2020. The PG out of KS is a very good guard. Prospect does have her at #60 at least today when I checked. Her stats are a little more impressive considering she has only played about half of each game last year. Their other recruit Donarski is rated #19 by Hoopsgurlz but #58 by Prospect. Somebody has her either too high or too low. She's probably somewhere in the middle. But like several teams in the Big 12 ISU needs at least one big agile post. Nezerwa was granted another year to play. She is decent and made some improvements this year, but is nowhere near the likes of Cox, Egbo or Smith.
Pale Rider
geewago knows.
Florda_mike
Pale Rider said:

geewago knows.

We'll see

Methinks UT has cancer from within with Aston
geewago
Florda_mike said:

Pale Rider said:

geewago knows.

We'll see

Karen is the "IF" factor. She should have finished 2nd this year with the talent they had. Sutton has proven to be a game changer at times. With Higgs returning from injury to pair with her that should give them 2 of the better guards in the league. Holmes has the ability as we all know but then again.... I expect Prince and Collier to be decent posts for them next year. I really don't see ISU competing with them as they did this year. But believe me I'd love to see it again and Karen just may work it out for us. If you read Horn fans you'll find out there's quite a few unhappy campers down there. Her record against BU is just driving them nuts.
Florda_mike
geewago said:

Florda_mike said:

Pale Rider said:

geewago knows.

We'll see

If you read Horn fans you'll find out there's quite a few unhappy campers down there. Her record against BU is just driving them nuts.

^^^ Yep

I'm enjoying your posts a lot FYI
whitetrash
geewago said:

Her record against BU is just driving them nuts.
What's their beef? The only Big 12 coach who has more wins against us than Aston during her tenure at UT is Mike Carey.
slimecap

HEAD COACH

Florda_mike
slimecap said:

HEAD COACH

Do ya know what Tech is paying her and how high that ranks in Women's Basketball?

Edit: I checked and $200,000 signing bonus, $700,000/year increasing $20,000 per season for 5 seasons with 6th season given if makes NCAA tournament 2 of first 5 seasons. $750,000 allowance for staff

Tech all in on getting back as she called Tech "sleeping giant"
zt1014
Didn't Kim have 5?

Kalani, Kristy, Alexis, Alexis, Chloe?
slimecap

SHERYL SWOOPES

from Kris Gardner at Houston Roundball Review

"Sources tell me Sheryl Swoopes is interested in being the next women's basketball head coach at Texas Southern University. The job became available earlier this week when former Texas Southern head coach, Johnetta Havesi, resigned to become the new head coach at the University of Maryland Baltimore County.

Swoopes is no stranger to the city of Houston. After winning an NCAA title at Texas Tech, Swoopes was part of four WNBA championships with the Houston Comets. She Swoopes was head coach at Loyola University in Chicago from 2013 to 2016. In 2017, Texas Tech hired her as Director of Player Development for women's basketball. In December 2018, CyFair Premier, a prominent girls' basketball grassroots / AAU program, named Swoopes the Director of Player Development and Recruiting.

Texas Southern is conducting a nation-wide search for the next women's basketball head coach."

- April 27, 2019

UPDATE Cynthia Cooper selected
slimecap

USA 3x3

Texas will send a team to compete at the 2019 USA Basketball 3x3 National Championship to be held May 3-4 in Las Vegas. The Longhorns are one of 13 teamsrepresenting NCAA Division I programs across the country.

Texas will send Charli Collier, Joyner Holmes, Sug Sutton and Audrey Warren.

- Texas WBB website, 29 Apr 2019
slimecap

USA 3x3

Iowa State will send a team to compete at the 2019 USA Basketball 3x3 National Championship to be held May 3-4 in Las Vegas. The Cyclones are one of 13 teams representing NCAA Division I programs across the country.

Iowa State will send Ashley Joens. Alexa Middleton. Kristin Scott and Madison Wise.

- USA Basketball WBB website, 29 Apr 2019
BuinmyBlood
My first thought was - Is Baylor going to compete in this?

My second thought - why should we? We don't need a consolation prize for not having won the NC...we've already got our trophy...
Pale Rider
BuinmyBlood said:

My first thought was - Is Baylor going to compete in this?

My second thought - why should we? We don't need a consolation prize for not having won the NC...we've already got our trophy...

Great point.
slimecap

ASSOCIATE HEAD COACH AQUA FRANKLIN

Aqua Franklin! becomes the 14th head coach in Lamar University program history.
.. Played 4 years at Texas A&M
.. 2-time All-American
.. 2008 WNBA Draft #38

slimecap

6 Big 12 student-athletes will participate in the 2019 U.S. Pan American Games Team trials.

Iowa State Kristin Scott
Kansas State Peyton Williams
Oklahoma State Vivian Gray
Texas Joyner Holmes & Sug Sutton
Texas Tech Brittany Brewer
were among the 36 invited to the camp

Trials to select the 12-member team will take place May 16-20 at the United States Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colorado. The team members will return to Colorado Springs for training camp July 23-Aug. 5, before competing in the women's basketball tournament at the 2019 Pan American Games from Aug. 6-10 in Lima, Peru.

The USA Basketball Women's Junior National Team Committee, chaired by George Washington University head coach Jennifer Rizzotti, is responsible for selecting the U.S. trials athletes. In addition to Rizzotti, the USA Junior National Team Committee includes 2008 Olympic gold medalist Kara Lawson as the athlete representative; and Karen Aston (Texas), Tonya Cardoza (Temple) and Wes Moore (North Carolina State) as the NCAA representatives.

- BIG 12 WBB website, 2 May 2019
slimecap

Big 12 Leads Nation with Invites to U19 World Trials

A nation-leading six current student-athletes and an incoming student-athlete from five Big 12 programs were invited to take part in the 2019 USA U19 World Team trials.

Baylor Aquira DeCosta. Queen Egbo. NaLyssa Smith.
Iowa State Ashley Joens
Oklahoma Taylor Robertson
Texas Celeste Taylor signee
Texas Tech Chrislyn Carr
received invitations for the 4-day camp
at the United States Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs CO

Trials to select the 12-member team will be held May 16-19, followed by the training camp July 5-19 and the U19 World Cup competition taking place July 20-28 in Bangkok, Thailand. Players eligible for this team must be U.S. citizens, born on or after Jan. 1, 2000.

All 30 athletes invited also are eligible for the 2019 U.S. Pan American Games Women's Basketball Team. Trials for that squad also take place May 16-20 at the USOTC in Colorado Springs.

- BIG 12 WBB, 01 May 2019
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Sutton and Holmes are going to need rest after all those NCAA, 3 on 3, and trials games/practices.
slimecap

ASSISTANT COACH JORY COLLINS

Collins will be the 11th head coach of North Dakota State. Collins just finished his first year as an assistant at the University of Kansas after spending eight seasons as the head coach at NCAA Division II Emporia State.

- North Dakota State WBB website, 29 April 2019
slimecap

NON-CONFERENCE SCHEDULE

2019 Preseason WNIT
.. 26th annual November tournament hosted by participating schools
.. TBA Game dates, first-round matchups & bracket
.. 3-game guarantee for all teams
.. Championship game televised on CBS Sports Network
.. 5th appearance by Oklahoma in the Preseason WNIT

A10 Davidson BIG 12 Oklahoma Big East DePaul Big Sky Portland State
Big West UC Irvine CAC Drexel Conf USA UAB MAC Miami OH
MVC Missouri State MWC Boise State PAC-12 Oregon State Southland TAMU-CC
Sun Belt South Alabama SWAC Prairie View A&M WAC UMKC WCC Pacific

Link with team profiles
http://womensnit.com/news/2019/5/1/tournament-field-announced-for-2019-preseason-wnit.aspx
slimecap

TRANSFER OUT

Destiny Littleton transfers to South Carolina.

whitetrash
slimecap said:

NON-CONFERENCE SCHEDULE

2019 Preseason WNIT
.. 26th annual November tournament hosted by participating schools
.. TBA Game dates, first-round matchups & bracket
.. 3-game guarantee for all teams
.. Championship game televised on CBS Sports Network
.. 5th appearance by Oklahoma in the Preseason WNIT

A10 Davidson BIG 12 Oklahoma Big East DePaul Big Sky Portland State
Big West UC Irvine CAC Drexel Conf USA UAB MAC Miami OH
MVC Missouri State MWC Boise State PAC-12 Oregon State Southland TAMU-CC
Sun Belt South Alabama SWAC Prairie View A&M WAC UMKC WCC Pacific

Link with team profiles
http://womensnit.com/news/2019/5/1/tournament-field-announced-for-2019-preseason-wnit.aspx

Oh how far it has fallen. The 2011 Preseason WNIT final featured a preview of the national championship game (BU over ND).

Only 5 of the 16 teams in the 2019 WNIT made the NCAAs, and only 2 of the 5 made it past the 1st round (OreSt and MoSt made the Sweet 16, but MoSt lost their coach to Tenn).
slimecap

ASSOCIATE HEAD COACH LARRY TIDWELL

"Nationally, Coach Tidwell is regarded as one of the most premier and connected recruiters in the country," Kansas head coach Brandon Schneider said. "His experience as a head coach at two division I universities combined with his experience as an assistant coach at three other Big 12 schools ... Baylor, TCU and Texas Tech ... will enable him to impact our program in all phases."

Link for entire article
https://kuathletics.com/news/2019/5/6/womens-basketball-schneider-adds-tidwell-player-to-kansas-coaching-staff.aspx
slimecap

NEW ASSISTANT COACH JHASMIN PLAYER

"Player joins the Jayhawks after spending the 2018-19 season with Loyola Marymount in California. During her year at LMU, Player helped the Lions return to postseason play for the first time since 2001 after LMU was selected for the 2019 WNIT.

"Jhasmin's collegiate and professional playing careers speak for themselves," said Schneider. "In coaching, she has quickly established herself as one of the top international recruiters in our business. Her passion, humility, love for the game, and desire to mentor young women were apparent the first time I met her."

Before coming to LMU, Player spent two seasons at Maine where she held numerous positions including, director of operations, assistant coach and recruiting coordinator. In 2018, Player led the Maine Black Bears to the America East regular season title and the America East Tournament Championship. With a 23-9 record and 15 seed, the Black Bears made their first NCAA Tournament appearance since 2004.

Prior to her second stint at Maine, Player spent five seasons in Europe playing professional basketball, giving her an advantage when recruiting internationally. Player played in Portugal, Spain and Poland. Player rewrote European record books in 2014, after averaging 39.9 points per game. Player also spent one season with the WNBA Franchise, Atlanta Dream.

A native of Bay City, Texas, Player graduated from Baylor in 2009. She was a four-year member of the Lady Bears' basketball team, earning captain honors her junior and senior seasons. At Baylor, Player guided the team to four NCAA tournament appearances and a 2009 Big 12 Tournament Championship. Player was named to the Big 12 All-Tournament Team in 2009 and also earned Big 12 All-Defensive Team and Second-Team All-Conference honors during her collegiate career."

- Kansas WBB website, 6 May 2019
First Page Last Page
Page 46 of 159

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.