Big 12 happenings

1,133,799 Views | 5531 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by slimecap
slimecap
How long do you want to ignore this user?

2021 WNBA DRAFT

DiJonai Carrington just told SicEm365Radio she and DiDi Richards "FaceTimed each other about 10,000 times and she kept telling me we were going to be drafted by the same team and I said no we're not, but now with her in New York and me in Connecticut we are very close!"

- David Smoak twitter feed, 16 April 2021
historian
It would be wonderful if they were both on the same team, but very unlikely.
slimecap

TRANSFER OUT

geewago
slimecap said:

TRANSFER OUT

Believe me,this has got the ISU faithful somewhat upset. Can't say that I blame them.
Florda_mike
What am I missing that's going on at Iowa St?

What's next couple seasons look like for them?
74Bear
Fennelly is not the nice guy some portray him to be. Watch his angry screaming at the players on the sidelines
Florda_mike
74Bear said:

Fennelly is not the nice guy some portray him to be. Watch his angry screaming at the players on the sidelines

I'm assuming he must've done something in locker room that was over the top

Btw I coached girl/women distance runners at high level HS and advised them in college 10+ years

Imo it wouldn't be hard to make a fatal mistake coaching them, and often have no clue what you said wrong

Not a ton different from marriage but VERY REWARDING TOO

Fennelly, if he's truly lost them could be in a career killing downward spiral

But then I'm assuming only where he is not knowing his "crimes committed mentally vs his gals!?"

Ouch
historian
Congrats to Charli:

slimecap

NALYSSA SMITH

Following 4 days of trials that featured 20 athletes
2021 USA Basketball Women's AmeriCup Team Finalists
.. 13 Finalists will return for a training camp that will begin on June 1
.. Official 12-member roster will be named prior to the team's departure for the 2021 FIBA AmeriCup June 11-19 in San Juan, Puerto Rico
.. Top 4 finishing teams at the AmeriCup will advance to compete in 1 of four 2022 FIBA World Cup Qualifying Tournaments

Baylor NaLyssa Smith
Indiana Grace Berger
Kentucky Rhyne Howard
Maryland Diamond Miller
Maryland Ashley Owusu
Michigan Naz Hillmon
North Carolina State Jakia Brown-Turner
North Carolina State Elissa Cunane
Northwestern Veronica Burton
Oregon Sedona Prince
South Carolina Aliyah Boston
South Carolina Destanni Henderson
Stanford Haley Jones
slimecap
The 7 players that did not make the Finalists list

Georgia Jenna Staiti
Iowa State Ashley Joens
LSU Khayla Pointer
Louisville Hailey Van Lith
South Carolina Zia Cooke
Tennessee Rae Burrell
Virginia Tech Elizabeth Kitley
jumpinjoe
And no one from U Conn.
Joined BaylorFans in 1999 under username jumpinjoe. Have always been Jumpinjoe. Proud 4 Year Baylor letterman and 1968 graduate and charter member of Quartermiler U, produced school record in 400 IH.
Bruin92
74Bear said:

Wait...wut? Kim screams at our players all of the time. It's part of the game.

And I'm not anti-Kim for those of you who will play that card. I think she is the greatest coach that this school has ever had.
Alf
Bruin92 said:

74Bear said:

Wait...wut? Kim screams at our players all of the time. It's part of the game.

And I'm not anti-Kim for those of you who will play that card. I think she is the greatest coach that this school has ever had.

This.
Have always admired Kim's...enthusiasm on the sidelines but could never really be able to read her lips. However, in the game against UConn I clearly heard her yell at Moon " what's your GD hurry Moon?!" After Ursin turned it over down the stretch.
historian
Over the last few years, I've heard Mulkey shout at players many times during games. She's often quite audible even with a full crowd, even more do this past season with small or no crowds. IIRC, if you watch the title game vs ND in 2019 you can hear some of it.
slimecap

FORMER PLAYER

Florda_mike
jumpinjoe said:

And no one from U Conn.

Nice catch and surprised the super freshmen not?
slimecap
NCAA TRANSFER NEWS
April 1, 2021

"For a second time in about three months, the NCAA is on the brink of granting all college athletes the ability to immediately transfer schools without penalty.

The Division I Council, the organization's primary legislative body made up mostly of school athletic administrators, met virtually Thursday to iron out details of the landmark legislation, which reverses a policy from the 1960s. The group is expected to meet April 15 to approve the measure, sources told Sports Illustrated. The new transfer legislation would go into effect immediately after it is approved by the NCAA Board of Governors, a meeting that could come soon after the D-I Council's decision.

Under current transfer rules, athletes in five sports, including football and men's and women's basketball, are ineligible in the first year they transfer unless they receive a waiver. The new rule would allow all athletes to move freely at least once, though it includes some stipulations.

.. Athletes must submit notification of transfer by certain dates to be eligible at their next location.
.. Fall and winter sport athletes would have to notify their schools by May 1, with an exception extending the date to July 1 for a end-of-the-year head coaching change or the non-renewal of scholarships.
Spring sport athletes would have until July 1.

However, Thursday's discussion among D-I Council members centered around making the notification dates flexible this year, sources told SI. Because of the timing of the decision and COVID-19, the fall and winter sports' notification date may be pushed deeper into the summer."

Link for entire article
https://www.si.com/college/2021/04/01/ncaa-transfer-rule-change-no-penalty
slimecap

2021 SIGNEE NLI
Maryam Dauda

slimecap

FORMER HEAD COACH

"Gail Goestenkors, who has 20 years of power-five head coach experience and is a member of the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame, has joined Kyra Elzy's staff at Kentucky as an assistant coach. Contract details will be released pending the completion of a background check.

Goestenkors brings an incredible amount of experience to Lexington. The 2015 Women's Basketball Hall of Fame inductee has succeeded at every stop in her illustrious 30-plus year career, including head coaching positions at Duke and Texas, WNBA assistant coach stops with the Los Angeles Sparks and Indiana Fever and numerous head and assistant coach roles with USA Basketball.

Throughout her career, Goestenkors is a seven-time Atlantic Coast Conference Coach of the Year, 2003 (Naismith and WBCA) and 2007 (Associated Press) National Coach of the Year, advanced to 19 NCAA Tournaments with four Final Fours and two NCAA runner-up finishes, and won four gold medals with USA Basketball, including golds as an assistant coach in the 2004 and 2008 Olympics."

- Kentucky WBB website, 26 April 2021
slimecap

Florda_mike
Kim should be very thankful for a contract like that

Christmas 24/7/365
CNC
So if Kim wins the SEC regular & tourney and goes to Final 4. She'd make at least

400K Base
2,045,000 Incentive
100,000 SEC titles
179,000 FF appearance

Total = $2,724,000

This excludes the bottom portion.

Is that correct?

Did she make 2.2m or 3m at Baylor? Reports vary.
Florda_mike
CNC said:

So if Kim wins the SEC regular & tourney and goes to Final 4. She'd make at least

400K Base
2,045,000 Incentive
100,000 SEC titles
179,000 FF appearance

Total = $2,724,000

This excludes the bottom portion.

Is that correct?

Did she make 2.2m or 3m at Baylor? Reports vary.

What I heard on tiger droppings she will make around
$2.5 minimum(your top 2 = $2,445,000) 1st season

Looks like inflation advances through 2030?

Perks galore too

LSU went all in, wants athletic department stimulated
slimecap

Dates that may affect athlete's decision about entering transfer portal

April 28 Last day of classes for Spring semester
April 29 - May 5 Study days and exams will commence
May 4 Possible date that AD Rhoades will announce new WBB head coach
July 1 Last date to enter transfer portal for WBB athletes that had an end-of-season coaching change at their school
Lone Star
geewago said:

slimecap said:

TRANSFER OUT

Believe me,this has got the ISU faithful somewhat upset. Can't say that I blame them.

I bet. Total spit in the face (although not very lady-like). I have to believe the "Ashley Joens Show" has something to do with it.
Lone Star
slimecap said:

BAYLOR
Former Player

Congrats to her. Sadly her 3rd school in 4 years but, closer to home.

On another note, unbeknownst to many of you, Mark Campbell (former associate HC at Oregon and the ONE person responsible for their player development) was just named HC at Sac State.

Oregon is imploding from within.......
slimecap

FORMER PLAYER

WNBA Indiana Fever guard Kysre Gondrezick has signed a lucrative, multi-year shoe deal with Adidas. She is expected to take a lead role as the face of the next generation of Adidas Basketball.
BUVA
Why not DiDi? Does KG have a better agent that goes for these deals? DiDi so much more charismatic!
bawitdaball
BUVA said:

Why not DiDi? Does KG have a better agent that goes for these deals? DiDi so much more charismatic!

She was picked #4. She will make the roster. Didi will likely be on the outside looking in when final rosters are named
slimecap

3 FORMER BIG 12 PLAYERS transfer to Duke

Duke head coach Kara Lawson stated
"We wanted to be aggressive in going after players that fit how we want to play. There are a couple things that we value highly. One is versatility. The other is two-way players -- players that can make an impact on both ends. All of these players can do that. When you're building a team, you want to have as few weaknesses as possible. That's the goal. To have the versatility and to have players that will compete on both ends adds a lot to our team next season."

"All of these players are motivated to win. We have a group that not only wants to win but wants to have success with other players. That type of team mentality was important when we talked to each of these players. To have that buy-in is critical. We are excited to get them on campus this summer."

BAYLOR Previous School
Jordyn Oliver
5-10 Guard JR Prosper TX
Ranked as high as #12 in her class

TEXAS Previous School
Celeste Taylor
5-11 Guard JR Valley Stream NY
Ranked as high as #6 in her class

TEXAS TECH & UConn Previous Schools
Lexi Gordon
6-0 Guard GRAD Hurst TX
Ranked as high as #11 in her class
blueeyedbear
bawitdaball said:

BUVA said:

She was picked #4. She will make the roster. Didi will likely be on the outside looking in when final rosters are named
Agreed. Hope she has some runway options
BUVA
Yep, there's that small detail. All the WNBA chatter is Sabrina, Sabrina, Sabrina's back for the Liberty. And our girl has to face that. At least DiDi played a big part in denying her natty.
slimecap

Amy Wright comes to OU after 10 seasons as an assistant at Texas A&M where she worked primarily with the Aggies' wings, oversaw in-bound plays and served as recruiting coordinator.

Wright joins the OU staff fresh off an historic year with the Aggies, who captured the program's first-ever SEC regular season title, rose to No. 2 in the AP poll for the highest ranking in program history and advanced to the NCAA Sweet 16. In 17 years of coaching, Wright has been a part of 15 postseason teams (11 NCAA tournaments) and has won five conference championships.

Wright helped the Aggies to eight NCAA Tournament appearances, four trips to the Sweet 16 and to the 2014 Elite Eight. Texas A&M also won the 2013 SEC Tournament with her on staff.

- Oklahoma website, 30 April 2021
slimecap

Link to Baylor article
https://baylorbears.com/news/2021/5/6/womens-basketball-for-the-love-of-the-game.aspx

Florda_mike
slimecap said:

That's tough as Baylor hired on May 3rd?

Darn it
First Page Last Page
Page 103 of 159

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.