Big 12 happenings

1,133,756 Views | 5531 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by slimecap
slimecap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KANSAS

Information/quotes excerpted from a season preview article by kusports.com

June 29, 2017

"Entering his 3rd season as women's basketball coach at Kansas, Brandon Schneider is almost starting from scratch, welcoming a recruiting class of 7 players, including 4 from junior colleges.

For an objective look at the class, I contacted Dan Olson, widely regarded as the foremost authority on women's basketball recruiting. Coaches from across the country subscribe to Olson's recruiting service, Dan Olson Collegiate Girls Basketball Report, and he compiles team and individual rankings.

Big 12 schools recruiting as ranked by Olson

03 Texas
07 Baylor
20 West Virginia
23 Kansas
25 Kansas State
29 Iowa State
32 Oklahoma
32 Oklahoma State

4 Junior College transfers to Kansas

Christalah Lyons rank #11 JUCO
Dallas TX 5-5 point guard

Attended junior college national powerhouse Trinity Valley CC in Texas. Lyons led her team to a 30-6 record in 2 seasons and it finished as national runner-up both years.

"Lyons is an elusive, explosive, tough-to-contain kind of guard and she's a more than capable offensive player," Olson said. "Up-tempo basketball is where she's at her best."

Lyons originally had signed with UMKC out of Dallas Skyline High, but went the JUCO route for academic reasons.

"UMKC was going to get itself one hell of a guard," Olson said. "Lyons really blossomed late and was pretty electric in the state tournament her senior year."

Brianna Osorio rank #47 JUCO
Las Vegas NV 5-8 combo guard

Played at College of Southern Idaho the past 2 seasons.

"Osorio can shoot it deep," Olson said. "She's more of a two than a one, but gives them two backcourt players kind of complementary to one another. And she can be a backup point guard, can handle it in a secondary situation."

Austin Richardson rank #49 JUCO
Lee's Summit MO 6-0 forward

Attended Johnson County Community College. Named MVP of the Jayhawk Conference in her sophomore season.

Olson called Richardson "a late-blooming player with a big upside long, lean and athletic and can shoot it. Once she gets out on the break, she's pretty good. If (Schneider) can develop those three on the perimeter sooner than later, that's going to help him."

Schneider said Richardson will be used as a "3/4."

Sara Boric rank #59 JUCO
Kotor Varos, Bosnia 6-5 center

Spent a season at North Carolina State and one at Northeast Oklahoma A&M Community College.

"Boric is a true center and a defensive presence down low," Olson said. "She has the capability of being a skilled offensive player but she needs touches for that to happen. She can get up and down the court."

Olson saw Boric and projected Oregon starter Joanna Grymek (6-8 #1 JUCO) square off at a Jamboree in October.

"Boric did well," Olson said. "She held her own. Is Boric a #1-caliber recruit in the nation? No, not by any means. She's not a consistent finisher, but with post players at a premium, she will aid in depth for the program. She'll give them immediate front court help."

3 High School recruits to Kansas

Bailey Helgren rank #106 HS
Edina MN 6-5 center

"Helgren is an interesting player and showed signs of being a very skilled post player," Olson said. "She's a defensive presence down low. She gives him two pure fives on the roster, and that has to help."

Micaela Wilson rank #129 HS
Rayville LA 6-2 forward

Wilson was ranked in the top 25 as a younger player but has slipped on Olson's report.

"Wilson is a lefty with a nice short-corner jumper," Olson said. "She can get on the class and can handle the ball as a secondary ball-handler, much like Richardson, but Richardson's more athletic. Wilson could blossom into a nice college player."

Brittany Franklin rank #170 HS
Plymouth NC 6-5 center

"Long, lean, mobile," Olson said. "Is not in the same mold as (Boric and Helgren) in respect to being a physical presence in the post. Franklin is more of a finesse player, and she's a shot-blocker with phenomenal length."

*** Returning players to Kansas

Jessica Washington senior guard ultra-quick, do-it-all. Big 12 Newcomer of the Year after transferring from North Carolina.

Kylee Kopatich junior guard shooter on the perimeter.

The trick now becomes getting so many newcomers to mesh quickly so that Washington can have more places to go with the ball in her final season.

"It's tough most of the time for junior college players to make the adjustment," Olson said. "If you're outside the top five or 10, it usually takes those kids three-quarters of a year to figure it out. I had Lyons ranked #11. She may be the quickest to come to the forefront."

3 players leaving Kansas

Jayde Christopher transferred to Boise State
Aisia Robertson transferred to New Mexico
McKenzie Calvert plans to resume her career as a graduate transfer in the 2nd semester of next school year as a junior per her twitter account

"I think those schools will be good fits for Jayde and Aisia," Schneider said.

Unlike the previous season when Lauren Aldridge, a two-year starter who led the team in scoring as a sophomore, transferred to Missouri, none of the players leaving the program were producing at a high level.

"When you look across the country right now, there are more than 400, sniffing 500 transfers in women's basketball," Schneider said. "A lot of coaches call it an epidemic but it's really just become part of what's going on."

Players leaving Kansas enabled Schneider to bring in such a big class

The incoming recruiting class is the first half of what Schneider hopes will be a roster overhaul that establishes the type of team he wants to assemble.

"We inherited the youngest team in the country and our first year here we led the nation in minutes played by freshmen," Schneider said. "We had some transfers and we had some seniors, so we just now are able to make major changes to our roster, 7 new ones this year, probably 5 in 2018, then we'll be hitting a point where everyone who's part of the program, this staff recruited."

All it took a year ago to determine where opponents would try to feed the ball was to glance at Kansas in the layup line in pregame warm-ups.

"We're a lot bigger overall," Schneider said. "The other thing we've added, excluding the five players with size, we're going to put a real premium in our recruiting positions one through four on being able to shoot. We haven't had the ability to put four shooters on the court. We don't play two bigs, so you want to be able to shoot. As good as Washington is at getting in the lane and creating, she needs to be able to have more than Kylee to look for in some of those situations."

Schneider said he hopes the added size will be able to help Kansas at both ends of the floor this season.

"To be able to defend in our league, we needed more size, and hopefully we'd like to be able to throw it inside and get an old-school basket, but we'll see how the summer goes working with these guys," Schneider said. "I think we've upgraded at several positions, definitely bigger and definitely have a lot more to work with on the front line."

- Tom Keegan, kusports.com

OP notes

Sara Boric 03 Sept 2017 has been added to the Kansas 2017-18 roster. On 21 April 2017, Sara signed a NLI with Kansas for the 2017-18 season. Sara finished coursework this summer at Northeast Oklahoma A&M.

*** 7 returning players to Kansas
Only Washington & Kopatich were mentioned in article.

5 players on roster were not mentioned in article

Sydney Benoit
Chayla Cheadle
Tyler Johnson
Chelsea Lott
Eboni Watts

Link for Kansas roster 2017-18 season
http://www.kuathletics.com/roster.aspx?path=wbball

slimecap
IOWA STATE

July 20, 2017

Team working to replace lots of production

"Anyone who has followed Iowa State women's basketball over the past four years has gotten used to Seanna Johnson and Jadda Buckley running the show. That won't be the case in 2017-18.

Johnson and Buckley combined to start 217 games for Iowa State over the last four years. The duo combined for five All-Conference honors, including a first-team All-Big 12 appearance by Johnson after the 2015-16 season.

Without those two, Iowa State has a lot of production to replace. Luckily for the Cyclones, head coach Bill Fennelly has seen some legends come and go without letting the program miss a beat.

The next torch-bearer is obvious. Returning junior Bridget Carleton was a unanimous selection for the All-Big 12 first-team in 2016-17 and it will be her job to lead Iowa State next year.

"I think Bridget's role will change in the sense of, she's the best player on our team, and everyone knows that," Fennelly said. "She's gotta be more vocal now and assume the leadership responsibility."

But one player can't carry a team. Junior forward Meredith Burkhall and senior guard Emily Durr saw increased roles at the end of last season when Iowa State won its final five regular season games. Their roles will increase again in 2017-18, as they are the only Cyclones aside from Carleton who have started a game at the Division I level.

"It's gonna be really big," Fennelly said. "Those two need to have good years. They need to play at a very high level."

Burkhall, who started 28 games last year as a sophomore, averaged 8 points and 5.6 rebounds per game. She was thrown into the fire early in her career and has steadily improved over the last two seasons.

"The good news is [Burkhall] has played a lot," Fennelly said. "The bad news is she had to play a lot. But I think she's stronger, she's had a great mindset in the spring and the summer with her strength and conditioning."

The team will also be counting on Carleton, Durr and Burkhall to step into leadership roles.

"Emily Durr for sure [has to be a leader]," Fennelly said. "[Burkhall]'s a talker. If you came to practice you would hear my voice and you would hear hers."

Even with three solid returning players, there are open spots in the starting lineup and open roles off the bench. The Cyclones have brought in some impressive high school talents, led by Indiana product Madison Wise. All of the newcomers will be given the chance to earn minutes next year.

"They're all gonna have a great opportunity to play, now it's up to them to earn it," Fennelly said. "The adjustment to college is so dramatic. There's not many people like Bridget or Seanna.

"We'll be in a position where people can fight for minutes probably more than we have in a long time. When you look at our roster, we have a lot of kids that have the ability to play or think they can play, and have shown signs of it, but now it's just a matter of doing it on a more consistent basis."

For example, who will replace Jadda Buckley at point guard? Buckley started all 61 games at point guard for Iowa State over the last two seasons and played over 34 minutes per game both years. She was among the Big 12 leaders in assists in both her sophomore and junior seasons.

"[Point guard] will be the question that we have to answer on July 19th and we'll probably be answering it on March 19th," Fennelly said. "We don't have a prototypical, look-in-the-dictionary point guard. We don't have that person. I could see us starting Nia Washington, I could see Emily Durr starting [at point guard], I could see Madison Wise starting, I could see us not even starting one."

Following the end of Iowa State's season last March, Emily Durr underwent Tommy John surgery to fix a ligament tear in her elbow. While she isn't quite 100 percent healthy yet, Durr should be good to go when the season rolls around, Fennelly said.

"She's behind a little bit but not bad," Fennelly said. "She hasn't been completely released by the doctor but when we start school she'll be full-go, I'm sure."

- Aaron Marner, Iowa State Daily
slimecap
OKLAHOMA STATE

July 19, 2017

"I'm very proud to announce that Bryn Gerlich of Colleyville Heritage HS & Texas Elite Prime has verbally committed to Oklahoma State"

- Texas Elite twitter account

"The 6-foot forward will go down as one of the premier scorers in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex. She's about to surpass the 2,000 career point mark while sitting at 1,981 in 100 career games for the Panthers (19.8 per game).

This past spring, Gerlich helped Heritage to the 5A regional tournament and was voted 8-5A MVP. She averaged 19.5 points, 4.7 rebounds, 1.5 assists and 1.9 steals per game. The Panthers won the district title and Gerlich went on to be named Texas Association of Basketball Coaches all region and TABC all state.

In her high school career, Gerlich has 517 rebounds, 145 assists and 210 steals. She's made 759 field goals and 367 free throws. In 100 career games, Gerlich hasn't scored in double figures in just FIVE games. She's scored 20 or more points 52 times, 30 or more seven times. Her career high is 32 points against Richland as a freshman."

- Brian Gossett, Fort Worth Star-Telegram, 19 July 2017

OP Notes
Family athletic history

Mother
Krista Kirkland Gerlich Currently the head coach of UT-Arlington WBB. Gerlich played shooting guard for Texas Tech from 1989-1993 and helped guide the team to the 1993 National Championship. She was named to the 1993 Final Four All-Tournament team. One of just 3 Lady Raiders to have her number retired. Assistant coach for 3 seasons (2003-06) for Marsha Sharp.

Father
Bryan Gerlich Texas Tech graduate and a former linebacker on the Red Raider football team (1987-1992).

Grandfather
Jim Kirkland Krista's high school basketball coach. Together they led Sudan HS to the 1987 state championship.

- OP Notes compiled from information on UTA WBB website
RioRata
The WBB Forum is now in good hands with slimecap.
GarlandBear84
It seems to me that other than BU and UT the B12 as a whole has been getting weaker by the year. OU, OSU, and ISU just aren't what they used to be.
RioRata
GarlandBear84 said:

It seems to me that other than BU and UT the B12 as a whole has been getting weaker by the year. OU, OSU, and ISU just aren't what they used to be.

I share that feeling. Sherri Coale is getting that fat check now and has packed it in. This is the only sport in which I miss aggy.
GarlandBear84
RioRata said:

GarlandBear84 said:

I share that feeling. Sherri Coale is getting that fat check now and has packed it in. This is the only sport in which I miss aggy.

I will never miss aggy.
slimecap
TEXAS

Lady Longhorn Basketball 1974-75

Planned legacy gift honors Women's Basketball tradition of excellence

July 24, 2017

"Growing up in the hill country paradise of Fredericksburg, Texas, Pam Hoerster essentially had two options for selecting a place of higher learning Texas A&M and The University of Texas. She claims it wasn't even a choice.

"It was natural for me," she says. "My heart has always been in Austin."

As a Texas freshman, Pam competed for the newly formed varsity women's basketball team under the program's first-ever coach, Rodney Page, in 1974-75. The Title IX court ruling, which opened the door for women on college campuses, triggered the program's formation on the Forty Acres; however, equal opportunity didn't immediately translate to equal amenities.

Pam and the Longhorns were fighting to not just win games, but also for recognition and accommodation.

For instance, when traveling for road games, the team often stayed at a family members' house, sleeping on floors, on couches and cramming sometimes three to a bed. Coach Page even had his mother cook a traditional southern meal of red beans and rice, cornbread and greens for the team when the Longhorns visited Houston, his hometown.

"We had to buy our own shoes. Parents fed us," Pam recalls. "That's why people like me are inspired to donate today, because we've seen it from the inside out. At Texas, I know the money will be used and invested well. I've seen how the program has grown over the years."

Although Pam eventually transferred and graduated from the University of Houston, she remained a faithful women's basketball follower, and during the 1970s and 80s, the Longhorns had few peers. Longtime leader Jody Conradt pushed her teams a cut above the rest, rivaled by only Pat Summitt at Tennessee and Sue Gunter at nearby Stephen F. Austin.

"They were trailblazers," Pam says. "They allowed their teams to play like the athletes they were."

Pam became a trailblazer herself. After teaching and coaching for two years after college graduation, she worked her way through law school and eventually became the first female partner at a prestigious maritime firm. She opened her own Houston mediation firm in 1996 and has orchestrated more than 7,500 successful mediations.

Pam Hoerster (left) and Jody Conradt

"I'm proud to call Pam a friend. She's followed our program closely for many years," Conradt says. "Even though I did not have the opportunity to coach Pam on the court, I do believe that her start as a female student-athlete at Texas helped her gain toughness and perspective that translate to her professional life."

Pam, 61, is still working full steam ahead. She is fit and energized with no plans to retire. However, she's thoughtful about her future. She worked in conjunction with the Longhorn Foundation to establish a planned gift.

Coach Rod Page, the first African-American head coach of any sport at UT.
He took the helm of the basketball team in 1973 before any UT women's sport was considered a varsity program.

"Coach Page, everything he did was to teach us something. He truly changed my view of life," Pam says.

"I'm friends with Coach Conradt, and I've admired her for a long time. Everything she did was first class, and I believe Karen (Aston) is carrying on that legacy."

- article Texas Longhorn Foundation website

- photos gathered from the internet

- photo caption for Rod Page Lee Michaelson, Full Court, 23 June 2012

OP Notes

Some clarification for the article above published by the Texas Longhorn Foundation
"As a Texas freshman, Pam competed for the newly formed varsity women's basketball team under the program's first-ever coach, Rodney Page, in 1974-75."

The Texas Legacy Support Network states
"Pam participated in the program's first-ever women's basketball team in 1974-75."

Checking the Texas WBB media guide
.. Pam is not listed on the archived 1974-75 Texas WBB roster
.. Pam is not listed on the archived All-Time Roster for Texas WBB student-athletes

Checking the University of Houston WBB media guide
.. Pam is listed under All-Time Letterwinners 1975-79

I have not yet uncovered the individual statistics for the 1974-75 Texas WBB season. I will contact Texas media for this information.

My original intention was to confirm a 1974-75 roster memory
A post-it note in my brain was recalling that legendary Duncanville High School coach Cathy Self-Morgan was on the 1974-75 team. I discovered that Cathy was on the roster and Pam was not.

Since Pam was listed as a letterwinner during 4 seasons at the University of Houston
One possibility may be that she traveled with the UT team making valuable contributions in a non-statistical role.
Pale Rider
RioRata said:

The WBB Forum is now in good hands with slimecap.
Indeed it is my friend, indeed it is.
Pale Rider
GarlandBear84 said:

RioRata said:

GarlandBear84 said:

I will never miss aggy.
Never ever never ever ever ever.
slimecap
TEXAS

UT announces plans for new on-campus basketball arena

April 7, 2017

"The Texas men's basketball team played its first game at the Erwin Center on Nov. 29, 1977. Since then, the multipurpose facility has hosted hundreds of men's and women's basketball games and countless other events.

On Friday, UT president Greg Fenves announced Longhorns basketball will have a new home to replace the Erwin Center within the next 5 to 7 years. The longtime home of UT basketball will give way to the Dell Medical School's ongoing development.

"The campus master plan developed in 2012 called for the land under the Erwin Center to be used for future expansion of the Dell Medical School and the UT Health District," Fenves said in a statement. "As we prepare for that, we will also ensure that our outstanding men's and women's basketball programs can continue to compete in a great arena. Coaches Karen Aston and Shaka Smart want the next facility to be on campus, where it is easier for our student-athletes to travel between their dorms, classes and practice. It also makes the games more accessible to our student fans."

The university's 2016 athletics master plan recognized several sites the new facility could occupy, including a "small parcel south of (track and field's) Mike A. Myers Stadium" as the preferred site.

Most everything else is a mystery, from estimated cost to maximum capacity to a future groundbreaking ceremony."

- Nick Moyle, San Antonio Express News
slimecap
BaylorProud77
GarlandBear84 said:

RioRata said:

GarlandBear84 said:

I will never miss aggy.
agreen don't miss them!
slimecap
TEXAS TECH

August 17, 2017

May 6, 2017

"Sydney Goodson is a 5-8 guard from Argyle, Texas. She played her freshman season at Arizona State and will have to sit out the 2017-18 season due to NCAA transfer rules. Goodson will have three years of eligibility left, starting with her sophomore season in 2018-19."

- Texas Tech WBB website

slimecap
BIG 12
Summer international game trips

TEXAS

KANSAS STATE

OKLAHOMA STATE

TCU

Pale Rider
Peebley is a good coach.
slimecap
slimecap
BIG 12

Iowa State head coach Bill Fennelly in 2003

June 23, 2003

"USA Basketball and the Big 12 Conference announced on June 23, 2003
that the United States will be represented the summer of 2003
at the 22nd World University Games women's basketball competition
by a Big 12 Conference Women's All-Star Team.

The Big 12 All-Star Team will compete in the biennial event, which will be held this summer in Daegu, South Korea, Aug. 20-31, 2003.

The World University Games, held every two years and organized by the International University Sports Federation (FISU), is a multi-sport competition open to men and women between the ages of 17 and 28 (born between Jan. 1, 1973 and Dec. 31, 1985) and who are, or have been within the past year, a student at a college or university. The 2005 World University Games are scheduled to be played in Imir, Turkey.

Iowa State University head coach Bill Fennelly will serve as head coach of the USA World University Games Team.

University of Missouri head coach Cindy Stein and ISU assistant coach Latoja Harris will complete the staff.

Dru Hancock, Big 12 Associate Commissioner, will serve as the conference liaison. The roster is in the process of being finalized.

Both the coaching staff and team member selections are subject to approval by the U.S. Olympic Committee.

"USA Basketball is very pleased to have the Big 12 Conference represent the United States in the 2003 World University Games," said USA Basketball President Tom Jernstedt. "Not only will this be an excellent competitive experience for the athletes, but a tremendous cultural experience as well."

- Big 12 WBB website

July 19, 2003

"The Big 12 Conference announced the roster for the Big 12 All-Star Team that will represent the United States at the 22nd World University Games women's basketball competition in Daegu, South Korea, Aug. 20-31, 2003.

12 student-athletes from 9 schools
will represent the Big 12 at the World University Games.

3 schools elected not to send a representative
- Kansas, Kansas State & Oklahoma State -
due to conflicts with other USA Basketball competitions, foreign tours and class schedules

All-Star squad includes 8 members
of the 2003 All-Big 12 Team

2003 USA World University Games Roster
Represented by Big 12 All-Star Team

Baylor Steffanie Blackmon 6-2 P JR Dallas TX Rowlett HS
WNIT championship game Started all 34 games for the Lady Bears and led the team in scoring with 17.6 points per outing. Second on her squad in rebounding with 8.0 rpg. All-Big 12 Second team last year.

Colorado Tera Bjorklund 6-5 C SR Saint Peter MN Sibley East HS
Big 12's third Sweet 16 team from a year ago Started all 32 games, led the team in scoring with 18.5 ppg and blocks with 46 on the season and was second in rebounding with 6.8 rpg. All-Big 12 First team last season.

Colorado Kate F@gan 5-9 G SR Schenectady NY Niskayuna HS
Big 12's third Sweet 16 team from a year ago Started every game last season. She was second in scoring with 10.9 ppg and averaged 3.0 rpg.

Iowa State Anne O'Neil 5-11 G JR Cedar Rapids IA Kennedy HS
Started 22 of 28 games last season for Iowa State after transferring from Illinois. Second on the squad in scoring with 10.0 ppg and third with 4.8 rpg.

Missouri Evan Unrau 6-1 F SR Fort Collins CO Rocky Mountain HS
WNIT third round Led the Tigers in both scoring and rebounding last season with 16.0 ppg and 7.7 rpg while starting all 31 games. All-Big 12 First team in 2003.

Nebraska Alexa Johnson 6-1 F SR Hacienda Heights CA Los Altos HS
Started 27 of 28 games last season and led the Huskers in both scoring and rebounding with 14.8 ppg and 6.8 rpg. All-Big 12 Honorable mention.

Oklahoma Chelsi Welch 5-9 G SO Plainview TX Plainview HS
NCAA Tournament team last year Started all 32 games as a freshman and was second on the team in scoring with 12.1 ppg. 2003 Big 12 Co-Freshman of the Year. All-Big 12 Second team.

Texas Anissa Hastings 6-2 F SR San Antonio TX Sam Houston HS
2003 Final Four Hastings was a key reserve in all 35 games last season. She averaged 2.7 ppg and 3.7 rpg and tied for second on the team with 21 blocks.

Texas Heather Schreiber 6-2 F JR Windthorst TX Windthorst HS
2003 Final Four Started all 35 games and was second on the team in both scoring and rebounding with 14.3 ppg and 8.2 rpg. All-Big 12 First team.

Texas A&M Toccara Williams 5-9 G SR Hollywood FL South Broward HS
Finished second in the nation in steals last year with 4.33 per contest. Started all 27 games for the Aggies and in addition to topping the team in steals, was the leader in scoring with 12.3 ppg and assists with 149. All-Big 12 Second team.

Texas Tech LaToya Davis 6-1 F/C SO Houston TX South Houston HS
Last season's Elite Eight team Played in 30 games as a freshman. Averaged 4.9 ppg and 5.0 rpg while connecting on over 59 percent of her field goal attempts.

Texas Tech Erin Grant 5-8 G SO Arlington TX Mansfield HS
Last season's Elite Eight team Started all 35 games at point guard in her rookie campaign. Led the Big 12 with 228 assists and was fifth on her team in scoring with 6.7 ppg. 2003 Big 12 Co-Freshman of the Year.

- Texas Tech WBB website

slimecap
TEXAS TECH

Decenber 13, 2000 - Texas Tech's Plenette Pierson (54) at the United Spirit Arena

August 21, 2017

"WNBA Minnesota Lynx forward Plenette Pierson is retiring after the season.

The two-time WNBA champion entered the league in 2003 and won titles with Detroit in 2006 and 2008. She has played for six teams and won the league's Sixth Woman of the Year honor in 2007.

"This is my last hurrah," Pierson said before the Lynx played the Liberty on Sunday. "I've been thinking about this for the last two years and know it's time to move on to something else. I've given a lot to the game and it's given me a lot back."

Pierson has averaged 9.6 points a game in her career, including a high of 12.9 in 2011 for the New York Liberty.

"She's made a career out of doing all the things necessary to help a team win with her toughness," said Bill Laimbeer, who coached her in Detroit and New York.

Pierson, whose Twitter handle is "DaEnforcer33," made the WNBA All-Star Game in 2015. She is averaging 4.6 points a game this season while playing 13 minutes a contest for the Lynx. Pierson will turn 36 at the end of the month.

"I was originally going to announce it on my birthday, but I was never any good at keeping secrets," she said. "I'm happy it's out there now and the fans know. I've always enjoyed the fans around the league."

She started the past few games for Minnesota, including Sunday's 70-61 loss to New York at Madison Square Garden, when Rebekkah Brunson went down because of an ankle injury last week.

"It's always great to play here as the fans have been so good to me," Pierson said.

Pierson wasn't sure what her future held, but her current coach, Cheryl Reeve, could see her joining the coaching ranks.

"She's embraced being a leader, I think she'd be a great coach," Reeve said. "I trust her, and when a coach tells you that she trusts you, that's the greatest compliment."

- Doug Feinberg, Associated Press

OP Notes

WNBA Career Transactions

24 Apr 2003 Selected in the WNBA Draft first round (4th Overall) by Phoenix Mercury.
29 Jun 2005 Acquired by the Detroit Shock in exchange for Andrea Stinson and the Shock's 2006 second round draft pick.
14 Jun 2010 Acquired by the New York Liberty in exchange for Tiffany Jackson-Jones.
04 Feb 2015 Signed with the Tulsa Shock as a free agent.
Season 2016 Started all 27 games for the Dallas Wings.
01 Feb 2017 Signed as an unrestricted free agent with Minnesota Lynx.

`
slimecap
KANSAS

Celebrating 50 years of Kansas women's sports

All-Americans Sharon Lokedi, Kelsie Payne and Ainise Havili are currently carving their legacies in Kansas athletics history, but with the 2017-18 academic year set to begin it is a great reminder of those who pioneered and paved the way for future female student-athletes to don the Crimson and Blue.

The opportunity for women to compete for the University of Kansas was solidified in 1968.

This school year, then, marks the 50th season of intercollegiate women's athletics at KU, and the Department of Athletics will take the year to celebrate this milestone.

Starting with Friday's season-opening soccer match against Nebraska, the Jayhawks, during their pregame warmup, will sport a commemorative T-shirt to honor the 50-year evolution of women's sports in the athletics department. These commemorative T-shirts will be worn throughout the year by all female Jayhawk student-athletes prior to each competition.

In addition, several events are being scheduled and planned. Highlighted by sport reunions, recognitions and other special events, the celebration of the 50th year of women's sports at Kansas will be a year-long initiative for the department.

KU's women's intercollegiate athletics program began with six sports: women's basketball, softball, volleyball, swimming, gymnastics and field hockey. When Marlene Mawson was tasked with starting the program, an annual budget of $2,000 was provided and expected to cover all expenses for equipment, uniforms and travel. In addition to administering the program, Mawson also coached volleyball (1968-70), basketball (1968-71), softball (1968-70), tennis (1971) and field hockey (1969-71).

In 1974, Marian Washington was hired as Assistant Athletics Director for Women's Sports and was presented with its first "big budget" - $120,000, with $60,000 provided by the KU Student Senate and $60,000 from the Kansas Legislature. That was also the first year that coaches of the women's teams were paid; prior to then the female student-athletes were coached in the "spare time" of PE Department staff.

The University offered its first athletic scholarships to women in 1975, and the athletic departments remained separate until 1979.

Even though the 1968-69 academic year is technically the start of women's intercollegiate athletics at KU, female students had the first opportunities to participate in physical education classes offered for women in 1893.

In 1928, James Naismith practicing basketball with his wife Maude

In 1903, Dr. James Naismith, the inventor of basketball and KU's director of physical education, agreed to coach an intercollegiate women's basketball team for the University.

The team played just one season, posting a 6-2 record. An intercollegiate varsity team was not annually in place until 1968-69, when the women's athletics department was started."

- kuathletics.com, 16 Aug 2017
Pale Rider
Amazing stuff. I didn't realize that the founder started at Kansas.
slimecap
slimecap
TEXAS

Behavioral Health

Longhorns work with Dr. Emmett Gill, Director of Student-Athlete Wellness and Personal Development

`
slimecap
OKLAHOMA

Archives:
2016 article about Morgan Rich
July 05, 2016

"Looking for a new beginning, Morgan Rich found a new home far from the one she grew up in.

After enrolling at the University of Kentucky in the fall of 2015 for her freshman season, Rich decided to explore the transfer process and look for a new place to spend her collegiate career. It took one official visit and she was set on Oklahoma.

A native of Scottsville, Ky., Rich had lived in the Bluegrass State her entire life. She left Allen-County Scottsville High School as its all-time leader scorer, helping her squad to the KHSAA state championship game as a junior. But it was the family atmosphere and the chance to play under a Hall of Fame head coach that sold her on the Sooners immediately.

"Family is a big part to me," Rich said. "Having Coach Coale as a coach, being involved in the community and working with others, the things we do off the court made a big impact for me. Coming in at midseason, I learned a lot from our coaches and it helped my game grow."

After transferring to OU in late December, Rich was required to sit out the remainder of her freshman season due to the NCAA transfer policy. For the rest of the year, she practiced on the Sooners' practice squad, working on parts of her game during practice while helping her teammates prepare for their next opponent. Even though Rich will not be eligible to play until late December this year, the time at practice as allowed her to grow as player on the court.

"It was important for me, because I got to focus on the little things. On the sidelines, our coaches would tell me little things to work on since I didn't know the terminology in the beginning," Rich said. "It allowed me to slowly progress into practice. Then the entire spring I got a chance to play on the scout team and it helped me focus on my game everyday."

As her time comes closer, she wants to make an immediate impact for the Sooners when she debuts. A left-handed shooter, Rich averaged over 20.0 points per game during her final two seasons in high school. But for now, she'll continue to help her team on the practice floor.

"I want to win," Rich said. "I want my team to win so if there are things I can do in practice to make them better or help us win, I want do whatever I can."

- Tyler Pigg, Oklahoma Associate Director of Communications
Bone Squad
Nine players. That makes me think of the 4OT Kentucky game where we had to play an injured Prince because we were out of other eligible players.
slimecap
Bone Squad said:

Nine players. That makes me think of the 4OT Kentucky game where we had to play an injured Prince because we were out of other eligible players.
Link for Video highlights

`
slimecap
2017-18 Big 12 ESPN Television Schedule

Dec 31 Sun Texas Tech @ Baylor ESPNU 1:00 p.m.
Jan 07 Sun Texas @ Kansas State ESPNU 1:00 p.m.
Jan 15 Mon UConn @ Texas ESPN2 6:00 p.m.
Jan 25 Thu Texas @ Baylor ESPN 7:00 p.m.
Feb 19 Mon Baylor @ Texas ESPN2 7:00 p.m.
Pale Rider
slimecap said:

2017-18 Big 12 ESPN Television Schedule

Dec 31 Sun Texas Tech @ Baylor ESPNU 1:00 p.m.
Jan 07 Sun Texas @ Kansas State ESPNU 1:00 p.m.
Jan 15 Mon UConn @ Texas ESPN2 6:00 p.m.
Jan 25 Thu Texas @ Baylor ESPN 7:00 p.m.
Feb 19 Mon Baylor @ Texas ESPN2 7:00 p.m.
Not nearly too early. Thanks sis. Love in Christ.
slimecap
Pale Rider said:

Not nearly too early. Thanks sis. Love in Christ.
Hi Brother Pale Rider,
Many thanks to you. Mark 12:30.
Sister slimecap
slimecap
TEXAS

Tina Thompson promoted to Associate Head Coach

September 18, 2018

"Third-year Texas women's basketball assistant Tina Thompson has been promoted to associate head coach with the Longhorns, head coach Karen Aston announced Monday.

Thompson, one of the greatest players in the history of the Women's National Basketball Association, works directly with the Texas post players. Thompson was the first overall pick in the inaugural WNBA Draft, is a two-time Olympic gold medalist and a four-time WNBA Champion.

"I am pleased to announce the elevation of Tina Thompson to associate head coach," Aston said. "In a short period of time, she has established herself on and off the court as an integral part of Texas Basketball. It's important to continue to not only reward our coaches but acknowledge progression and impact."

Thompson has helped return the Longhorns to among the nation's elite programs. During her time in Austin as a member of Aston's staff, Thompson has helped Texas to a 56-14 (.800) record, including a 30-6 (.833) tally in Big 12 Conference play. The Longhorns have made back-to-back appearances in the NCAA Sweet 16, including an NCAA Elite Eight appearance in 2015-16. In each of her two seasons at UT, the Longhorns have finished second among Big 12 Conference teams in rebounding margin, out-rebounding opponents by an average of 9.9 boards per game over the last two years. Additionally, Texas has averaged 5.5 blocks per game over the past two seasons.

Throughout her 17-year professional playing career, Thompson was a four-time WNBA champion with the Houston Comets (1997, 1998, 1999, 2000), a member of the WNBA All-Decade team, an eight-time All-WNBA team selection, a nine-time WNBA All-Star, and the WNBA All-Star MVP in 2000.

After 12 seasons in Houston, the Los Angeles native returned to her hometown in 2009 as a member of the Los Angeles Sparks. She became the WNBA's all-time leading scorer on August 8, 2010, scoring her 6,264th career point to pass Lisa Leslie -- a former teammate of Thompson's at the high school, college and professional levels. Thompson ended her professional career with the Seattle Storm in 2013 as the league's all-time leading scorer with 7,488 points in 496 games played (15.1 ppg). She still remains the league's second-leading all-time scorer behind Diana Taurasi (7,867 points).

On the international level, Thompson has won two Olympic Gold Medals as a member of Team USA in 2004 (Athens) and 2008 (Beijing). She has also participated in other professional leagues overseas. Following the 2001 WNBA season, Tina played for Rovereto Basket in Italy and in 2003 she joined the Kumho Falcons of the Women's Korea Basketball League (WKBL). In 2006 and 2007, she played for Spartak Moscow Region (Euro league) and in 2010 for the MCM Trgovite in Romania.

Thompson played collegiately at the University of Southern California (1993-1997) where she helped USC compile a 77-37 record, and led the team to three NCAA tournament appearances (1994, 1995, 1997), including an Elite Eight appearance in 1994.

A three-time All-Pac 10 selection at USC, Thompson was a second-team All-American as a senior in 1997. She finished fifth on the university's career lists in scoring (2,248 points) and (1,168 rebounds). Thompson graduated from USC in 1997 with a degree in sociology and a minor in psychology."

- Texas WBB website
slimecap

2017-18 Big 12 FOX Sports Family of Networks Television Schedule

All times listed are CT

FS1 Sun Dec 03 01:00 p.m. Stanford @ Baylor
FS1 Sun Dec 17 11:30 a.m. Florida State @ Texas
FSN Sun Dec 31 03:30 p.m. West Virginia @ Texas
FSN Sun Jan 07 02:00 p.m. Texas Tech @ TCU
FSN Sat Jan 13 01:00 p.m. Oklahoma State @ K-State
FSN Sat Jan 13 04:00 p.m. TCU @ West Virginia
FS1 Sun Jan 14 01:00 p.m. Baylor @ Oklahoma
FSN Wed Jan 17 08:00 p.m. Baylor @ Iowa State
FSN Sat Jan 20 12:00 p.m. Oklahoma State @ Oklahoma
FSN Sat Jan 20 03:00 p.m. Texas @ Texas Tech
FSN Wed Jan 24 08:00 p.m. Iowa State @ Oklahoma State
FS1 Sun Jan 28 02:00 p.m. Baylor @ West Virginia
FS1 Sun Jan 28 04:00 p.m. K-State @ Kansas
FS1 Mon Feb 05 06:00 p.m. Texas @ West Virginia
FS1 Mon Feb 05 08:00 p.m. Oklahoma @ Baylor
FSN Sat Feb 24 03:00 p.m. Kansas @ K-State
FSN Sat Feb 24 05:00 p.m. Texas @ Iowa State
FS1 Mon Feb 26 08:00 p.m. West Virginia @ Baylor
FS1 Tue Feb 27 06:00 p.m. Oklahoma @ Texas

FCS Fri Mar 02 06:00 p.m. Championship First Round 1
FCS Fri Mar 02 08:30 p.m. Championship First Round 2
FSN Sat Mar 03 11:00 a.m. Championship Quarterfinal 1
FSN Sat Mar 03 01:30 p.m. Championship Quarterfinal 2
FSN Sat Mar 03 06:00 p.m. Championship Quarterfinal 3
FSN Sat Mar 03 08:30 p.m. Championship Quarterfinal 4
FS1 Sun Mar 04 02:00 p.m. Championship Semifinal 1
FS1 Sun Mar 04 04:30 p.m. Championship Semifinal 2
FS1 Mon Mar 05 08:00 p.m. Championship Final
Pale Rider
Hopefully every conference game that isn't on nationally will be on BaylorVision.
bowdedg
Big 12 Commits

BAYLOR
NaLyssa Smith, 6-3 F, East Central HS (Converse, TX)
Caitlin Bickle, 6-1 W, Cactus Shadows HS (Scottsdale, AZ)

IOWA STATE
Ashley Joens, 5-9 G, Iowa City H.S. (Iowa City, Iowa)
Maddie Frederick,6-0 G, Hamilton H.S. (Chandler, AZ)

KANSAS
None?

Kansas State
Christianna Carr, 6-0 G, Manhattan H.S. (Manhattan, KS)
Ayoka Lee, 6-5 P, Byron H.S. (Byron, MN)

Oklahoma
Madison Williams, 5-10 W, Trinity Valley School (Fort Worth, TX)
Taylor Robertson, 5-7 PG, McPherson H.S. (McPherson, KS)
Tatum Veitenheimer, 5-7 PG, Windthorst H.S. (Windhorst, TX)
Nydia Lampkin, 6-3 PF, Heritage H. S. (Palm Bay, FL)

Oklahoma State
Kassidy DeLapp, 6-3 F, Oak Ridge H.S. (El Dorado Hills, CA)
Jamee Asberry, 5-5 PG, East Central H.S. (Tulsa, OK)

TCU
Ryann Payne, 5-7 G, Sierra Canyon School (Chatswoth, CA)
Rebekah "Becky" Obinma, 6-2 C, Rosary Academy (Fullerton, CA}

Texas
Sedona Prince, 6-7 P, Liberty Hill High (Liberty Hill, TX)
Joanne Allen-Taylor, 5-8 G, Cypress Falls H.S. (Houston, TX)
Shae Routt, 6-0 W, Kempner H.S. (Houston, TX)
Audrey Warren, 5-9 PG, Springfield Catholic H.S. (Springfield, MO)

Texas Tech
Chrislyn Carr, 5-5 PG, Rock Island H.S. (Rock Island, IL)
Taylor Hosendove, 6-1 W, Westlake H.S. (College Park, GA)

West Virginia
Rochelle Norris, 6-4 P, Riverdale Baptist H.S. (Upper Marlboro, MD)
Kari Niblack, 6-1 F, Wildwood H.S. (Wildwood, FL)
Madisen Smith, 5-5 PG, Greenville Senior H.S. (Greenville, SC)
Jala Jordan, 6-1 W, IMG Acad. (FL)
slimecap
BIG 12
Leads all conferences with 5 alums in the WNBA Finals

2 Baylor
1 Texas
2 Texas Tech

Pale Rider
Super. I might just try to watch.
Last Page
Page 2 of 159

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.