Big 12 happenings

1,133,743 Views | 5531 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by slimecap
slimecap
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Jan 18, 2023
in Lawrence

Halftime Score
West Virginia ahead by 14
West Virginia 34
Kansas 20

FINAL
Kansas scores 34 points in 4th Quarter

RECAP Kansas 77
https://kuathletics.com/strong-second-half-propels-jayhawks-to-win-over-wvu/

RECAP West Virginia 58
https://wvusports.com/news/2023/1/18/womens-basketball-jayhawks-outlast-mountaineers-in-lawrence.aspx
slimecap

Jan 18, 2023
in Waco

RECAP Baylor 69
https://baylorbears.com/news/2023/1/18/womens-basketball-WBB-downs-k-state-behind-buggs-and-asberry-69-48.aspx

RECAP Kansas State 48
https://www.kstatesports.com/news/2023/1/18/womens-basketball-k-state-falls-at-rv-24-baylor-on-wednesday-night.aspx
slimecap

.. 9 teams rank in the top-70 of the NET Rankings
.. 6 squads are inside the top-50

21 Jan 2024 @ 10:02 a.m.
slimecap

Jan 21, 2023
in Morgantown

Deep in the 3rd QTR @ 02:46
32 Texas Tech
30 West Virginia

FINAL
RECAP West Virginia 67
https://wvusports.com/news/2023/1/21/womens-basketball-hemingway-quinerly-power-wvu-past-texas-tech.aspx

RECAP Texas Tech 57
https://texastech.com/news/2023/1/21/womens-basketball-tech-comes-up-short-at-wvu.aspx
slimecap

Jan 21, 2023
in Ames

RECAP Iowa State 64
https://cyclones.com/news/2023/1/21/womens-basketball-no-18-iowa-state-tops-kansas-64-50.aspx

RECAP Kansas 50
https://kuathletics.com/kansas-falls-at-no-18-iowa-state/
slimecap

Jan 21, 2023
in Manhattan

RECAP Kansas State 64
https://www.kstatesports.com/news/2023/1/21/womens-basketball-k-state-ends-skid-with-win-over-tcu.aspx

RECAP TCU 48
https://gofrogs.com/news/2023/1/21/womens-basketball-tcu-falls-on-the-road-to-kansas-state.aspx
slimecap

Jan 21, 2023
in Norman

RECAP Oklahoma 97
https://soonersports.com/news/2023/1/21/womens-basketball-sooner-magic-strikes-sooners-win-bedlam

RECAP Oklahoma State 93
https://okstate.com/news/2023/1/21/cowgirl-basketball-cowgirls-come-out-on-short-end-of-bedlam-shootout-97-93.aspx
slimecap
Jan 22, 2023
Eball
I really hope no one thinks I am just being a Debbie Downer, but everyone does realize that other than TCU we could lose to just about anyone else and everyone else on the schedule ahead and miss the NCAA tourney!

I am still hopeful we will hang in there, but we just do not have the level of talent we have had in the past and we really can't count any chickens before they hatch!

We could win most however so I will remain positive and supportive, but we really have to play well game to game.
slimecap

Jan 22, 2023
in Waco

Approx 3-1/2 minutes left in the 4th QTR
Texas guard Rori Harmon suffered a hard fall and exited the court, struggling to stay upright
.. Harmon did not return for the rest of the evening
.. No injury has been announced

PREVIOUSLY
Nov 2022 Harmon suffered a foot injury that kept her on the bench for the first 5 games
- Excerpts from Emma Hutchinson, Daily Texan, 22 Jan 2023

RECAP Texas 68
https://texassports.com/news/2023/1/22/womens-basketball-no-25-womens-basketball-defeats-baylor-in-waco-68-55.aspx

RECAP Baylor 55
https://baylorbears.com/news/2023/1/22/womens-basketball-wbb-falls-short-against-no-25-texas.aspx
slimecap
2022-23 AP TOP 25 Poll
Released Jan 23, 2023

01 South Carolina (28)
02 Ohio State
03 Stanford
04 LSU
05 UConn
06 Indiana
07 Notre Dame
08 UCLA
09 Utah
10T Iowa
10T Maryland
12 Virginia Tech
13 Michigan
14 Oklahoma
15 North Carolina
16 Duke
17 Gonzaga
18 Iowa State
19 Arizona
20 North Carolina State
21 Villanova
22 Illinois
23 Middle Tennessee
24 Florida State
25 Colorado

Others receiving votes
Tennessee 47, Texas 35, USouth Florida 31,
USC 22, Oregon 10, Arkansas 2, UNLV 1 & Alabama 1
Eball
slimecap said:

2022-23 AP TOP 25 Poll
Released Jan 23, 2023

01 South Carolina (28)
02 Ohio State
03 Stanford
04 LSU
05 UConn
06 Indiana
07 Notre Dame
08 UCLA
09 Utah
10T Iowa
10T Maryland
12 Virginia Tech
13 Michigan
14 Oklahoma
15 North Carolina
16 Duke
17 Gonzaga
18 Iowa State
19 Arizona
20 North Carolina State
21 Villanova
22 Illinois
23 Middle Tennessee
24 Florida State
25 Colorado

Others receiving votes
Tennessee 47, Texas 35, USouth Florida 31,
USC 22, Oregon 10, Arkansas 2, UNLV 1 & Alabama 1
Baylor got no votes....wow...only two ranked B-12 teams.
BU71
Eball said:

I really hope no one thinks I am just being a Debbie Downer, but everyone does realize that other than TCU we could lose to just about anyone else and everyone else on the schedule ahead and miss the NCAA tourney!

I am still hopeful we will hang in there, but we just do not have the level of talent we have had in the past and we really can't count any chickens before they hatch!

We could win most however so I will remain positive and supportive, but we really have to play well game to game.
I believe that speaks to parity, injuries and eligibility problems more than deficiency in the Baylor program.
Pale Rider
BU71 said:

Eball said:

I believe that speaks to parity, injuries and eligibility problems more than deficiency in the Baylor program.

Some but not nearly all.
lookin4awin
I am not sure I am on board with this parity stuff, which is often used as an explanation or excuse as to why we are no longer dominating the conference. Our previous teams would have beaten this Texas team by twenty five to thirty points. UT is not good at this point in the season. Perhaps parity means that teams in our conference are all pretty mediocre. This is what my eyeball test is telling me and this is what the Top 25 is telling me.

In the current Top 25,the Big 12 has only 2 teams, OU at 14 and ISU at 18.

OU has played only one out of conference team that was ranked at the time of the game. That was Utah (25 at the time) who beat them 124 to 78. Otherwise, OU's out of conference schedule was a field of cupcakes with sprinkles.

ISU's out of conference schedule included NC (8 at the time), Iowa, (16 at the time), and Villanova (25 at the time). NC beat them 73-64, Iowa beat them 70-57, and ISU beat Villanova 74-62.

Current parity to me looks as though our level of play has gone down to the level of other teams in the conference, not that the level of play of our conference-mates has gone up to to reach our prior level of play. Guess we will see at NCAA tourney time.
Pale Rider
IMHO, we don't have the players we used to have and we don't have the coaching we used to have.
slimecap

2022-23 USA TODAY/COACHES TOP 25 Poll
Released Jan 24, 2023

01 South Carolina (32)
02 Stanford
03 LSU
04 UConn
05 Ohio State
06 Indiana
07 Notre Dame
08 Iowa
09 Utah
10 Virginia Tech
11 Maryland
12 Oklahoma
13 UCLA
14 Arizona
15 Iowa State
16 Duke
17 Michigan
18 North Carolina State
19 North Carolina
20 Gonzaga
21 Villanova
22 Illinois
23 Oregon
24 Arkansas
25 USouth Florida

Others receiving votes
Middle Tennessee State 42, Tennessee 40,
Baylor 33, Florida State 32, Colorado 28, Texas 24, Florida Gulf Coast 18,
UNLV 7, USouthern California 6, Oregon State 6, St. John's 4,
Creighton 3, Columbia 3 & Louisville 1

Dropped out of Top 25 from previous poll
# 24 Baylor
# 25 Texas
slimecap
Responding to a request for information

TRANSFER WAIVER GUIDELINES
The Council voted unanimously to update guidelines for the waiver process for undergraduate student-athletes who are transferring for a second time. Each waiver request will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, but moving forward, student-athletes must meet one of the following criteria to be granted a waiver to compete immediately:
  • A demonstrated physical injury or illness or mental health condition that necessitated the student's transfer (supporting documentation, care plans and proximity of the student's support system will be considered), or
  • Exigent circumstances that clearly necessitate a student-athlete's immediate departure from the previous school (e.g., physical assault or abuse, sexual assault) unrelated to the student-athlete's athletics participation.
All other guidelines will no longer be used for waiver requests to compete during championship seasons that first occur in 2023-24. The Council agreed that athletics reasons (lack of playing time, position presence) and academic preferences should not warrant waiver relief.

The Council directed the Transfer Advisory Group to recommend changes to the transfer waiver process to manage situations that fall outside these guidelines. For transfer student-athletes expected to meet the requirements for a limited transfer exception (discontinued sport, or non-scholarship exception) the Council voted to allow student-athletes to enter the Transfer Portal at any time instead of requiring them to use their respective sport's transfer window.

- Excerpts from Meghan Durham, ncaa.org, 11 Jan 2023
blueeyedbear
Pale Rider said:

IMHO, we don't have the players we used to have and we don't have the coaching we used to have.
Well, Thank God we still have the same posting idiots.
Lynnp550
blueeyedbear said:

Pale Rider said:

And Thank God for those of us on this forum who aren't a bunch of whiners.
Eball
blueeyedbear said:

Pale Rider said:

Call me an idiot I might deserve it, but calling Pale Rider an idiot that is just wrong. He is one of the most loyal BU folks that post. He has also been a friend and supporter of WBB for a lot of years....shame on you blueeyedbear!
blueeyedbear
Eball said:

blueeyedbear said:

Pale Rider said:

Call me an idiot I might deserve it, but calling Pale Rider an idiot that is just wrong. He is one of the most loyal BU folks that post. He has also been a friend and supporter of WBB for a lot of years....shame on you blueeyedbear!
If that post is an example of his support for BU WBB he can take it down the road to Baton Rouge.
That is not how a supporter and a true friend to the program acts.
Its time people realize the game has changed, The portal has changed the game forever.
The Big 12 has never, ever had this many Teams that can beat ANY team in the league on any given night.

The magnificent run BU WBB had is ancient history and most likely will never be duplicated again - get over it.
Celebrate the past but embrace and support the future is a true friend and supporter of the program.
Comparing currant staff and team to previous staff and teams over a 20 + year run with those same expectations does not have any sense of fairness at all. "Fans" conveniently forget Kim did not exactly churn out Championships in her first couple of years I can only imagine what some of sicem365f currant posters would have posted then !!!!
It's going to take time to rebuild and complainers and fair weather "fans" need to accept that and support the program when it needs it the most. That is my definition of a supporter and true friend of BU WBB.

Eball
It's a fan board get over yourself.
geewago
Pale Rider is a minister who has been a loyal Baylor WBB fan as long as there was basketball He is by no means an idiot. He just simply stated some plain facts.
Bone Squad
Everyone can define for themselves what a "true supporter" (and perhaps even a "true Scotsman"!) means for themselves. That's your right. But that does not make all such definitions reasonable ones.

If Pale Rider or anyone else continues to watch, root for, want to talk about, and love Baylor Women's Basketball, I consider them on the team, in the fam, under the tent, and what have you. If someone wants to make a more narrow definition where you can only be a "true supporter" if you mindlessly proclaim that the team, its players, its coaches, its staff, and all else 'round the program are the best at everything they try to do, and deliberately blind themselves to any contrary evidence, well, that will exclude most people.

Now, I'll still consider that person making the narrow definition a supporter, etc. And I'll happily sit next to them at a game or share a beer with them at a tailgate. But I will have a hard time taking their positive appraisal of all aspects of the program seriously, given that such a person has chosen not to have any objective analysis - that person is only capable of saying everything is great whether based in reality or not.

And to be fair, I've seen the flipside. Someone I know once declared that every season in which a team does not win a national championship is, by definition, a failure of a season. I see that kind of expectation as similarly absurd, and I give just as little credibility to their negative appraisals of a team.
BUbearinARK
Pale Rider said:

Pastor, this seems like a post based on emotion rather than current facts. Patience is virtutous. When we have a full quiver of non-injured or held back players, look out.
Pale Rider
I assure you blueeyedbear that I have been a devoted Baylor basketball fan since 1969. I love both the men's and women's teams. I will die a green and gold fan of my beloved Alma Mater. In fact I am flying in from California the first week of February to finally see both teams play against Oklahoma. Hope to see you there. God bless. I will always feel free to share my impressions and opinions. Thanks.
Pale Rider
BUbearinARK said:

Pale Rider said:

Pastor, this seems like a post based on emotion rather than current facts. Patience is virtutous. When we have a full quiver of non-injured or held back players, look out.

It was. Thanks for the perspective. I have always struggled with the fourth fruit of the Spirit.
slimecap
Pale Rider said:

I will always feel free to share my impressions and opinions.
Hi Brother Pale Rider,
I encourage that thought!
Baylor forum readers that have known you for 13 years (like myself) understand
the depth of your loyalty to Baylor.
Your kindness and shared prayers have made a significant impact on my life.
I cherish you.
Wishing you a good Thursday,
Sister slimecap
Pale Rider
Thank you. Love you sis.
blueeyedbear
Eball said:

Then the name "Fan Board" needs to be changed - It has morphed into a group of so-called adults who trash 18, 19, 20 YO's - they are too small, this one can't shoot, this one can't pass, Too small to play defense. These "fans" are toxic wanabes who played HS basketball or maybe Church Rec League's and think they are all knowing basketball aficionados and think they have a right to trash anonymously young athletes just because they send a few $$$ a month to a board. It's not just WBB - it's practically every sport at BU.
These WBB play their heart out night after night - they fall behind and battle back to even or take back the lead. I would rather support this team regardless of W/L then a team that quits when they fall behind.
CNC or any coach is fair game but the athletes should be off limits - how would you feel if your daughter or son was playing and these "fan" comments were directed at her/him.
CNC does not need their advice any more than Kim did.
Use the PM feature to message amongst your likeminded "fans" in your own Kabal and let the true loyal fans have the board back !!

As for getting over myself - this has never been about me - shove your condescending post where the sun doesn't shine. I am not going away - someone needs to call out the haters who can't get over Kim is gone and happy at LSU. In three years LSU will make Kim's family financial future totally secure well into the foreseeable future. Something BU would never have been able to do. Celebrate that and be happy for her and move on.

slimecap

Jan 25, 2023
in Austin

RECAP Texas 78
https://texassports.com/news/2023/1/25/womens-basketball-rv-womens-basketballs-defense-powers-longhorns-to-78-58-victory-over-no-14-12-oklahoma.aspx

RECAP Oklahoma 58
https://soonersports.com/news/2023/1/25/womens-basketball-robertson-ties-ncaa-record-as-sooners-fall-in-austin
Eball
blueeyedbear said:

Eball said:

Then the name "Fan Board" needs to be changed - It has morphed into a group of so-called adults who trash 18, 19, 20 YO's - they are too small, this one can't shoot, this one can't pass, Too small to play defense. These "fans" are toxic wanabes who played HS basketball or maybe Church Rec League's and think they are all knowing basketball aficionados and think they have a right to trash anonymously young athletes just because they send a few $$$ a month to a board. It's not just WBB - it's practically every sport at BU.
These WBB play their heart out night after night - they fall behind and battle back to even or take back the lead. I would rather support this team regardless of W/L then a team that quits when they fall behind.
CNC or any coach is fair game but the athletes should be off limits - how would you feel if your daughter or son was playing and these "fan" comments were directed at her/him.
CNC does not need their advice any more than Kim did.
Use the PM feature to message amongst your likeminded "fans" in your own Kabal and let the true loyal fans have the board back !!

As for getting over myself - this has never been about me - shove your condescending post where the sun doesn't shine. I am not going away - someone needs to call out the haters who can't get over Kim is gone and happy at LSU. In three years LSU will make Kim's family financial future totally secure well into the foreseeable future. Something BU would never have been able to do. Celebrate that and be happy for her and move on.

Well, it is a fan board to each his own! I wish I was better at going back to past posts and pulling things forward but I seem to remember that while we have agreed on several things WBB related over the years since you joined, we clashed a time or two when I felt you were a little too critical of Kim and or players and or results in big games...am I not remembering that right? playing time issues? I guess the point is am I not going to see any past posts of yours being critical of Baylor Admin, AD, Coaches, players since you joined? I don't really remember you as always being a sunshine pumper poster. I do know you are one of the few like me who spend the majority of our time on the topics of WBB and the Lady Bears ...so we are definitely familiar with each other. I think I been posting about two years longer than you, but you certainly are not a Johnny come lately...

Finances from BU to LSU not that different...I mean she was making over 2 million in salary here and she may have gotten a small bump and a few perks but her financial situation was set long ago.
baylorbear33
Eball said:

blueeyedbear said:

In three years LSU will make Kim's family financial future totally secure well into the foreseeable future. Something BU would never have been able to do. Celebrate that and be happy for her and move on.

Finances from BU to LSU not that different...I mean she was making over 2 million in salary here and she may have gotten a small bump and a few perks but her financial situation was set long ago.
Hi Eball, I believe he is referring to the Louisiana State Employee's Retirement Plan as to what will set Kim and her family up for many years to come. With her time at La Tech plus her time at LSU (along with her age), she will meet their eligibility requirements fairly soon.
Eball
baylorbear33 said:

Eball said:

blueeyedbear said:

In three years LSU will make Kim's family financial future totally secure well into the foreseeable future. Something BU would never have been able to do. Celebrate that and be happy for her and move on.

Hi Eball, I believe he is referring to the Louisiana State Employee's Retirement Plan as to what will set Kim and her family up for many years to come. With her time at La Tech plus her time at LSU (along with her age), she will meet their elibility requirements fairly soon.
First Page Last Page
Page 144 of 159

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.