Big 12 happenings

1,133,731 Views | 5531 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by slimecap
longtimebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I Just LOVE this thread !!!!
Chibears2
slimecap
longtimebear said:

longtimebear Appreciate your kind words very much !

and Chibears2 Thank you for the thumbs up. We will miss you on Thursday. Hope you get some rest and healing for that flu bug.
slimecap
BAYLOR

slimecap
Wednesday - 24 Jan

64 Kansas
97 Oklahoma

Sooners pour in 12 3-pointers on their way to a home win over Kansas

Highlights

slimecap
Wednesday - 24 Jan

52 Texas Tech
82 West Virginia

Audio of post-game press conference with WVU HC Mike Carey
Scroll down after clicking soundcloud link
https://soundcloud.com/wvusports

Texas Tech coach did not want to shake Carey's hand
https://www.swishappeal.com/2018/1/29/16945416/unsportsmanslike-handshake-gray-miller-ttu-ncaaw-big-12
Chibears2
And OSU goes down at home to Iowa State. Weird happenings.
geewago
Chibears2 said:

I was getting kinda skeered of OSU for a while. They always play Baylor tough at home. But now they've lost to KST and ISU. Maybe wheels are getting loose.
GrizBear
Chibears2 said:

Bridget Carleton goes off for 39 points on 16-22 shooting. Woof.
bearbone11
Its looking like, outside Baylor and Texas, the Big 12 is mediocre this year. West Virginia would've been tough, but the injury to Tynice Martin knocks them down to a mid level team at best. Oklahoma State has been unimpressive of late since almost winning in Austin. Kansas State also lost to TCU in Manhattan today, which, despite the polls, should've been a K State win. I hope those teams can stay in the rankings to give us a boost, but I think some are going to fall out.
BFWorldwide
Oklahoma State is the poster child for what happens once other teams realize that your team only has three scoring threats.

And, as an aside, small guards. Iowa State ran 5 high and kept diving their big guards. Cowgirls' guards were 5-6 inches shorter and obviously not used to guarding dives. Iowa State committed to fronting Jensen and doubling from the backside as the entry pass was made [giving up the backside completely]. OSU has massive turnovers on entry passes. OSU could not score enough from other positions in 2nd half.

Fennelly really out coached the OSU staff.
gone to Tickfaw
Wish we had Carlton or Goth. Or both.
Or that natalie would step up her aggressiveness like either of them...
longtimebear
slimecap said:

longtimebear said:

longtimebear Appreciate your kind words very much !

and Chibears2 Thank you for the thumbs up. We will miss you on Thursday. Hope you get some rest and healing for that flu bug.
Slimecap....Your welcome!
I really appreciate all your efforts, really. Everything is so current and informative. Better than the BIG 12 site.
Thanks again.
bubears780709
Thanks Slimecap! I appreciate you keeping us up to date!

Go Lady Bears!
WasheFuzzy
fujobear said:

Unfortunately, it is not within Chou's nature to be aggressive. She is going to sit back and watch others make plays and stand outside waiting on a pass so that she can shoot a thee-pointer. She will never be a Kristy Wallace type who gets in there and mixes it up on basically every play. If there is a play to be made, Wallace will be in the middle of the fray.
WasheFuzzy
slimecap said:

BAYLOR

Kalani would be on my starting 5 every week. She is the most dominant player in the game.
mimi25408
I agree, but I wish she was more aggressive also. We need her to be productive. I hope she doesn't have a slump next year , because i wouldn't be surprised if a freshman jumped in and took her spot. I hope she can step up in these next few crucial games.
Chibears2
Regarding Natalie, don't give up on her becoming more aggressive in her last two years. While it is hard to overcome one's nature, it IS possible in limited situations. It's what training is for. ("Nature, Mr. Allnutt, is what we are put on this Earth to rise above..."). And I'm not sure that lack of aggression is as much the problem as fear of less than perfection. Confidence, being an upperclassman and having the younger players depending on you while they deal with their own insecurities, even the expectations of the coaching staff, all can push a player out of their comfort zone. I think the biggest growth between fresh and sophomore years is skills and comfort related. I think the biggest growth sophomore to junior year is confidence and maturity. The biggest difference junior to senior, is the sense of urgency that comes with doing everything for the last time. Let's see what kind of player she is next year before we write her evaluation in ink.
Chibears2
Want to say thanks for well wishes regarding my health. I was a longtime lurker on BaylorFans, mostly for women's basketball. When I found this site, I immediately embraced the football and recruiting info and I liked the way the premium board was monitored, but I really missed yours and other knowledgeable posters' info on Lady Bears. Really glad that community is being reestablished here. Love sharing passion for all things Lady Bears with a crowd who can appreciate them as athletes and ambassadors representing BU in the green and gold! Will be chewing my nails to a nub tonight....

Sic'em Bears!
BFWorldwide
WasheFuzzy said:

fujobear said:

Unfortunately, it is not within Chou's nature to be aggressive. She is going to sit back and watch others make plays and stand outside waiting on a pass so that she can shoot a thee-pointer. She will never be a Kristy Wallace type who gets in there and mixes it up on basically every play. If there is a play to be made, Wallace will be in the middle of the fray.
To be fair, Chou is playing "out of position". In Women's college basketball, she is a 3. Due to our roster, she is asked to play the 2. She is routinely guarded by smaller/quicker players. The way to "aggressively" use Chou would be to post her up against those smaller guards [what ISU did to OSU this week]. However, with Brown and Cox as playing time mainstays [whose court minutes substantially overlap Chou's minutes], that scheme is not likely. When Brown sits, having Cox remain in the high post and using Chou and Wallace in dive plays against smaller guards is something that could be highly successful.

But, before calling Chou passive, consider the situation.
Bone Squad
Yeah, I think Chou does what she needs to do in our system. I thought she made a much bigger point of being a play-maker on offense during the Oklahoma game in the first half. Most of our offensive sets run through the posts, and Chou plays her role as a possible outside shooter.
slimecap

Wednesday - January 24

Kansas 64 @ Oklahoma 97
Texas Tech 52 @ West Virginia 82
TCU 68 @ Kansas State 63
Iowa State 78 @ Oklahoma State 69

Thursday - January 25

Texas 56 @ Baylor 81
slimecap
TEXAS @ BAYLOR

Baylor post-game press conference
Kim Mulkey, Kristy Wallace & Kalani Brown

Video link
http://www.baylorbears.com/collegesportslive/?media=569637

Texas post-game press conference
Karen Aston

Video link

slimecap
bubears780709 said:

Thanks Slimecap! I appreciate you keeping us up to date!

Go Lady Bears!
Hi bubears780709, Thank you for posting. I appreciate your kindness !
slimecap

Standings
as of January 26, 04:34 PM CT

8 - 0 Baylor
6 - 2 Texas
5 - 3 Oklahoma State
5 - 3 TCU
5 - 4 West Virginia
5 - 4 Oklahoma
3 - 6 Kansas State
3 - 6 Iowa State
2 - 7 Kansas
1 - 8 Texas Tech
slimecap
TEXAS TECH

Interim HC Shimmy Gray-Miller post-game press conference vs West Virginia
http://texastech.com/watch/?Archive=14391&type=Live
slimecap
TEXAS TECH

Haley BruedIgam
5-9 PG
Redshirt Junior
Hometown is Lubbock TX

New player that HC Shimmy Gray-Miller discussed in video above.

High School
.. Played at Lubbock Cooper HS under Head Coach Trent Hilliard
.. She was the 90th-ranked player in Texas by Premier Basketball Report
.. Helped lead the Pirates to a 31-5 record as a junior and the regional quarterfinal championship
.. First team all-district selection & first team all-state
.. Averaged 10 points per game and 5 assists per game as she shot 43 percent from the field
.. 2-year letterwinner in track

Video Link
"Haley Bruedigam makes Lady Raider debut"
http://www.kcbd.com/clip/14077318/haley-bruedigam-makes-lady-raider-debut

Roster webpage @ West Texas A&M
http://www.gobuffsgo.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4622
slimecap

Saturday - Jan 27

Texas Tech 62 @ Oklahoma State 80
Oklahoma 58 @ TCU 62
Iowa State 55 @ Texas 87
slimecap
OKLAHOMA STATE

January 26, 2018

"Answers were few as Oklahoma State players and coach Jim Littell sat before the media last Wednesday night after letting a double-digit lead disappear in a 78-69 loss to Iowa State at Gallagher-Iba Arena.

A team with multiple vocal leaders, the Cowgirls sat in silence in the locker room at halftime of a game they led by 10.

The fire that has pushed the Cowgirls to 14 wins before the end of January was noticeably absent, and no one on the team could describe what had happened.

As they head into Saturday's game against a 7-13 Texas Tech team that the Cowgirls will try to bounce back from their most unexpected and frustrating loss of the season.

Here's what Littell had to say.

Q: Did you sense that something was missing at halftime against Iowa State?
A: "I sensed it going on the floor. I guess that falls on me to be a little bit more 'rah-rah,' though that really isn't my personality. My personality is more preparation, and get down and get ready to go. There's just too many times that we let people drive around us for layups. Yeah, they're good players, but we're gonna see a lot of good players in our league. You've got to have the ability to cut off the drive and not let people go for layups."

Q: With a loss like that, do you expect the motivation to be improved for Saturday's game against Texas Tech?
A: "It better be. When you lose one at home, you better make sure you bounce back and get the next one, because road victories are hard to get in this league."

Q: Maria Castro had 12 points off the bench. What has she provided for you lately?
A: "Maria has given us a boost. She hit some shots. She missed some shots I thought she was open on. Maria is gonna play hard. It's important to her. I thought she had a nice game (against Iowa State)."

Q: Freshman Jaden Hobbs has played at least 26 minutes in each of the last three games. Do you see her getting more comfortable on the floor?
A: "Jaden's got to get back to the form of where she looks to shoot first. She's got to be one who stretches the defense, and when a zone is played, she's got to be one to hit shots. She needs to get to where she's looking shot first and pass second. When you catch the ball and you're looking to pass, then you're covered. She's very capable of making shots. In a game like (Iowa State) she's a young lady who probably should've got up eight or nine 3s, and we didn't get that done. She's gonna get better as she gets more playing time. We haven't started her until the last two ballgames, so there's a little transition in that."

- Scott Wright, The Oklahoman

slimecap
TCU

58 Oklahoma
62 TCU

Pale Rider
She hit the shots and OU didn't; simple as that. Neither team looked lights out though.
slimecap
OKLAHOMA STATE

62 Texas Tech
80 Oklahoma State

slimecap

January 29, 2018

whitetrash
slimecap said:

January 29, 2018

So Kristy Wallace averages 26 ppg in 2 wins over Top 25 opponents and was national player of the week, but the Big12 instead picks someone who goes off for 39 against OkSt then isn't even her teams leading scorer in a 32 point loss to UT?
4th and Inches
whitetrash said:

slimecap said:

January 29, 2018

So Kristy Wallace averages 26 ppg in 2 wins over Top 25 opponents and was national player of the week, but the Big12 instead picks someone who goes off for 39 against OkSt then isn't even her teams leading scorer in a 32 point loss to UT?
nope no bias there... nothing to see - move along...
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
First Page Last Page
Page 13 of 159

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.