Big 12 happenings

1,133,939 Views | 5531 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by slimecap
bearbone11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone know how this is decided? Is it from the media or just some random Big 12 employee? If its the latter I can see them just picking based on stats with no context about what actually happened. And of course the typical Big 12 politics.
57Bear
bearbone11 said:

Does anyone know how this is decided? Is it from the media or just some random Big 12 employee? If its the latter I can see them just picking based on stats with no context about what actually happened. And of course the typical Big 12 politics.
Slimecap posted earlier selections were decided "in a vote of a media panel that covers the Conference"

bowdedg
Gruvin said:

whitetrash said:

slimecap said:

January 29, 2018

So Kristy Wallace averages 26 ppg in 2 wins over Top 25 opponents and was national player of the week, but the Big12 instead picks someone who goes off for 39 against OkSt then isn't even her teams leading scorer in a 32 point loss to UT?
nope no bias there... nothing to see - move along...
Well we saw how biased it was at the end of last year!
bearbone11
I guess this proves the media doesn't actually watch the games.
slimecap
57Bear said:

bearbone11 said:

Slimecap posted earlier selections were decided "in a vote of a media panel that covers the Conference"
Hi 57Bear,
I just got off the phone from a 16 minute conversation with a Big 12 representative at corporate headquarters. I asked at least 11 questions. I am putting my notes together now for a post later today. I received some interesting information on how the media panel is selected.

But to go directly to the bottom line
Big 12 conference policy forbids the release of individual names of the 5 voters on the media panel.

Isn't it ironic that the AP Top 25 releases the names of its media voters every year?
57Bear
Iowa State (Carleton - 3 Times) and UT (McCarty, Higgs, and Atkins) have had at least 3 Players of the Week.

Iowa State (Madison Wise - 3 Times) and OU (Shania Pennington - 3 Times) have had at least 3 Freshman of the Week.

Iowa State is currently ranked 8th in the conference - just saying.
whitetrash
Bridget Carleton 2018 = Steve Carlton 1972, who won 27 games and the Cy Young for a Phillies team that finished 59-97 and in last place in the NL East.
RioRata
57Bear said:

bearbone11 said:

They clearly don't cover our Conference.
WasheFuzzy
What a joke. Anyone who watched that UT game should know who the POW should be. She was simply the best player in the nation, not to mention the conference.

Kristy, you got my vote. Now go out there and punish everybody who voted for someone else.
slimecap
slimecap said:

57Bear said:

bearbone11 said:

Hi 57Bear,
I just got off the phone from a 16 minute conversation with a Big 12 representative at corporate headquarters. I asked at least 11 questions. I am putting my notes together now for a post later today. I received some interesting information on how the media panel is selected.

But to go directly to the bottom line
Big 12 conference policy forbids the release of individual names of the 5 voters on the media panel.

Isn't it ironic that the AP Top 25 releases the names of its media voters every year?

Big 12 voters for WBB Player of Week (POW) & WBB Freshman of the Week (FOW)

1. How many voters are on the media panel?

2. What are the names of the voters?
Big 12 conference policy will not let me release the names.

3. I'm puzzled ... the AP Top 25 Poll publishes the names of their media voters at the beginning of each season.
AP is a different organization. They have a different policy.

4. So why was the number 5 selected for number of voters?
.. Big 12 conference is 10 schools.
.. The schools are split into 2 groups of 5 schools each.
.. The 1st group of schools nominate a media voter for this season.
.. The 2nd group of schools nominate a media voter for the next season.
.. Then it rotates back to the original 1st group for the following season.

5. Which schools are in the 1st group and which schools are in the 2nd group?
Big 12 conference policy will not let me release the school group assignments.

6. Do the schools ever change groups?
No

7. Which school staff person submits the media voter name to the Big 12?
Each school has a Sports Information Director (SID). The SID submits the name.

8. I have a list of several names that are the published AP Top 25 voters.:

AP Poll Voters that report in BIG 12 school areas
2017-18
1 Brocato Joe Bridgeport WV WDTV-TV
2 Cantu Rick Austin TX American-Statesman
3 Palmateer Tyler Norman OK Transcript
4 Pirtle Krista Waco TX Tribune-Herald
5 Pryor Brooke Oklahoma City OK Oklahoman
Can you confirm the NUMBER of AP voters that also submit votes to the Big 12 for WBB Player of Week (POW) & WBB Freshman of the Week (FOW)?
No

9. Bill Fennelly of Iowa State is the Big 12 vote this season on the Coaches Poll. Does this mean that Iowa State does not simultaneously submit a media voter name to the Big 12 POW & FOW?
Big 12 conference policy will not let me release this information.

10. Are all media voter selections a geographically-close selection for the schools?
A school can select a local media person or a national media person.

11. Is national media person defined exclusively as Sports Illustrated, ESPN, ABC etc.?
A national media person could also include a voter that is local media and is simultaneously recognized nationally.

The conversation was handled in a helpful, professional & accommodating manner by the Big 12 professional staff.

Simply put, the policies come from the top. The staff member was following the rules.

4th and Inches
Great interview- can see why some teams appear to get favored as the school picks their favorite media friend to vote
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
57Bear
slimecap said:

Big 12 voters for WBB Player of Week (POW) & WBB Freshman of the Week (FOW)

1. How many voters are on the media panel?

2. What are the names of the voters?
Big 12 conference policy will not let me release the names.

3. I'm puzzled ... the AP Top 25 Poll publishes the names of their media voters at the beginning of each season.
AP is a different organization. They have a different policy.

4. So why was the number 5 selected for number of voters?
.. Big 12 conference is 10 schools.
.. The schools are split into 2 groups of 5 schools each.
.. The 1st group of schools nominate a media voter for this season.
.. The 2nd group of schools nominate a media voter for the next season.
.. Then it rotates back to the original 1st group for the following season.

5. Which schools are in the 1st group and which schools are in the 2nd group?
Big 12 conference policy will not let me release the school group assignments.

6. Do the schools ever change groups?
No

7. Which school staff person submits the media voter name to the Big 12?
Each school has a Sports Information Director (SID). The SID submits the name.

8. I have a list of several names that are the published AP Top 25 voters.:

AP Poll Voters that report in BIG 12 school areas
2017-18
1 Brocato Joe Bridgeport WV WDTV-TV
2 Cantu Rick Austin TX American-Statesman
3 Palmateer Tyler Norman OK Transcript
4 Pirtle Krista Waco TX Tribune-Herald
5 Pryor Brooke Oklahoma City OK Oklahoman
Can you confirm the NUMBER of AP voters that also submit votes to the Big 12 for WBB Player of Week (POW) & WBB Freshman of the Week (FOW)?
No

9. Bill Fennelly of Iowa State is the Big 12 vote this season on the Coaches Poll. Does this mean that Iowa State does not simultaneously submit a media voter name to the Big 12 POW & FOW?
Big 12 conference policy will not let me release this information.

10. Are all media voter selections a geographically-close selection for the schools?
A school can select a local media person or a national media person.

11. Is national media person defined exclusively as Sports Illustrated, ESPN, ABC etc.?
A national media person could also include a voter that is local media and is simultaneously recognized nationally.

The conversation was handled in a helpful, professional & accommodating manner by the Big 12 professional staff.

Simply put, the policies come from the top. The staff member was following the rules.

Thank you for your diligence in tracking this down. I won't say that it looks like the fix is in, but ....
slimecap
Gruvin said:

Great interview- can see why some teams appear to get favored as the school picks their favorite media friend to vote

Exactly !
Also, some Big 12 coaches have close friendships over many years.

If their schools are in the same group
.. you could select compatible voting media
.. reach a voting block of 2 voters of 5 total voters
gone to Tickfaw
it was a joke last year that Wallace wasn't second team or honorable mention Big 12. This year she should be first team.

Perhaps the Big 12 are trying to award anyone BUT Baylor since Kalani would deserve it every week.

Perhaps they're grooming another player for Big 12 POY other than a Baylor player.

All of our starters and bench would star at most other Big 12 schools. Both Moon and Landrum would start at Iowa State.

McCarty being named POY last year was a joke.

If we mirrored in the BIG 12 what is done on the national scene - all four UCONN players nominated for all american status and the naismith award - the Big 12 would honor Brown, Cox & Wallace as first team... and potentially Cohen as second team.

Given a bit more playing time, Morrison would be FOY.
slimecap
fujobear said:

it was a joke last year that Wallace wasn't second team or honorable mention Big 12.
This year she should be first team.

2017-18 Big 12 Conference Preseason All-Big 12 Team

Slot is open Tynice Martin of West Virginia out for entire season with an injury.
gone to Tickfaw
And McCarty and Atkins have both underperformed... but we have to have two from Texas... or someone from Texas...
gone to Tickfaw
wondering if the Big 12 Media were able to watch the games. Many of them don't earn enough salary to afford cable
slimecap

slimecap

Another link to the article
http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/baylor/lady_bears_basketball/lady-bears-are-dominating-conference-play-and-have-the-numbers/article_a0470f18-487a-57ea-a792-af38ebd069e2.html
slimecap

Tuesday - January 30

TCU 75 @ Iowa State 52

slimecap

21 Emily Durr 7-15 Total FG-FGA

Link for Box Score
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/tcu/sports/w-baskbl/auto_pdf/2017-18/box_score/stats_20180131aaa.pdf

ScottS
All the rest are playing for 2nd, lol
AustinCory
ScottS said:

All the rest are playing for 2nd, lol
Yep. And turning our attention to the National Top 3, all 3 play ranked teams over the next 32 hours, with #1 UCONN and #2 Miss. State doing so on the road against Top 15 teams.

I'd put the odds that Baylor will be in the Top 2 in Monday's AP Poll at 40%, which is extraordinarily high for predicting whether a #3 women's basketball team will move up. For Tuesday's Coaches Poll, 45%, since Miss. State plays South Carolina on Monday night.
slimecap

Wednesday - January 31

Oklahoma State 64 @ Baylor 77
Kansas State 49 @ Oklahoma 68
Texas 55 @ Kansas 41

slimecap

Standings
as of January 31, 09:10 PM CT

10 - 0 Baylor
8 - 2 Texas
7 - 3 TCU
6 - 4 Oklahoma State
6 - 5 Oklahoma
5 - 5 West Virginia
4 - 7 Kansas State
3 - 8 Iowa State
2 - 9 Kansas
1 - 9 Texas Tech

BFWorldwide
Bad News:

3 more Monday games against solid competition [OU, UT, & WVU] on short rest.

Good News: each of those teams also on short rest for those games and each has a tough game immediately prior.

Further good news: each of those games gets the team extended rest afterwards.

Interesting tidbit: conference tourney starts on a Friday. Most of the teams in the play-in games play a Tuesday regular season game. Most of the teams with byes play Monday. Baylor and whoever finishes in 2nd should get a really tired team in round two.
geewago
BFWorldwide said:

Bad News:

3 more Monday games against solid competition [OU, UT, & WVU] on short rest.

Good News: each of those teams also on short rest for those games and each has a tough game immediately prior.

Further good news: each of those games gets the team extended rest afterwards.

Interesting tidbit: conference tourney starts on a Friday. Most of the teams in the play-in games play a Tuesday regular season game. Most of the teams with byes play Monday. Baylor and whoever finishes in 2nd should get a really tired team in round two.
In other words, the stars are lining up as long as we keep taking care of biznezz. Winning just seems to solve everything.
BuinmyBlood
Wow. Shocking to see Texas only beat a terrible Kansas team by 14 points, and apparently had to pull away late to get that. Not to mention, how in the world did Texas only score 55 points against that team? As I recall we did a beat down on them both times by 25 to 40 points at least. I'm wondering if Texas' confidence isn't shaken now that they feel possibly that they're out of the conference race...
BFWorldwide
BuinmyBlood said:

Wow. Shocking to see Texas only beat a terrible Kansas team by 14 points, and apparently had to pull away late to get that. Not to mention, how in the world did Texas only score 55 points against that team? As I recall we did a beat down on them both times by 25 to 40 points at least. I'm wondering if Texas' confidence isn't shaken now that they feel possibly that they're out of the conference race...
The level of play across the conference has dropped tremendously over the past 1-2 weeks. Dead legs are setting in as the conference play meat grinder rolls along.

The huge advantage that UConn has in scheduling is easiest to see this time of year. Tons of conference blowouts and every 2-3 weeks play a tough OOC game to stay sharp. UConn has a huge advantage in those games since they are mostly at home and always have fresher legs. They have South Carolina and Louisville remaining this year......but look closely how evenly spaced out those tough OOC games are scheduled. Not happenstance.

With our very small roster, Mulkey hopefully has numerous upcoming "pure rest" days. Nothing scheduled. Girls locked out of gym. We need Fresh legs to defend and hit 3's.

Trainers need to be earning their pay right now.....we looked banged up last night.

slimecap
BuinmyBlood said:

Wow. Shocking to see Texas only beat a terrible Kansas team by 14 points, and apparently had to pull away late to get that.

January 30, 2018

The biggest disappointment for Texas thus far has been the freshmen, a signing class that was ranked No. 3 in the nation. Aston said Destiny Littleton, Rellah Boothe and Chasity Patterson might still make an impact before the season is over. Collectively, the freshmen average a combined 6 points through 20 games.

"I thought there was a place for their skill set," said Aston, adding all three have suffered through personal and health setbacks.

- Rick Cantu, Austin-American Statesman
57Bear
BuinmyBlood said:

The Lady Bears beat Kansas 83-45 @ Kansas. They play in Waco on 17 Feb.
BuinmyBlood
You're right. We had only played them the one time so far this year. It was kind of a blur to me since we'd already played Kansas state twice. But I did know that every time we played these Kansas teams we pretty well put them away without a whole lot of trouble.

So... we beat them by 38 at their place while Texas squeaked by with a 14-point victory.
slimecap

slimecap
Texas Tech Pre-Game Press Conference

Texas Tech interim head coach Shimmy Gray Miller discusses upcoming Baylor game on Feb 3.

Video link
http://texastech.com/watch/?Archive=14426&type=Live

Pale Rider
slimecap said:

Texas Tech Pre-Game Press Conference

Texas Tech interim head coach Shimmy Gray Miller discusses upcoming Baylor game on Feb 3.

Video link
http://texastech.com/watch/?Archive=14426&type=Live

That was very interesting.
We may have a tougher game up there than we expect.
First Page Last Page
Page 14 of 159

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.