Big 12 happenings

1,134,537 Views | 5531 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by slimecap
Brian Ethridge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
slimecap said:

UPDATE
New article with additional information

Larry Tidwell was a Baylor assistant coach from 1992-98

LARRY TIDWELL

Resigning as head coach of the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV)
to become the Chief of Staff for Texas Tech.

"Though not the Lady Raiders recruiting coordinator
- that title belongs to Erin Grant, a former Texas Tech player who Tidwell tried to sign in 2002 during his tenure as the recruiting coordinator at TCU -
Tidwell said recruiting will be his primary focus.

He plans to use his 40-plus years of coaching at the high school and college level in Texas to secure some of the state's top talent while tapping into the connections he's built recruiting players from at least 25 different countries. He brought in two recruiting classes that ranked in the top 10 nationally during his tenure at TCU, and he has signed 40 student-athletes who went on to play professionally, including five WNBA players."

Link to entire article
http://www.themonitor.com/sports/utrgv_vaqueros/article_33b9f45a-4599-11e8-8887-dfdb709bafa3.html

Good ol' LT coming back to the Big 12.
slimecap
WacoKelly83 said:

HoustonBear15 said:

Texas Tech only has 6 players listed on their roster right now. Crazy.
Does that include the juco players they just picked up?
The 3 recruits announced May 1 are not on the roster posted for May 3.
Technically speaking (according to the press release)
Mia Castaneda is signed and could be added to the roster.
Chinna Fair & Eryka Sidney have announced they will be joining Texas Tech ....
but are not signed. One possibility is that they are awaiting medical exam clearance.

Link for Texas Tech roster
Could change after May 3
https://texastech.com/roster.aspx?roster=166&path=wbball

NOTE
I have not read updated information about 2018 NLI signee Chrislyn Carr.
On 28 April 2018, Carr reposted a Marlene Stollings tweet on her twitter account.

Wichitabear
Tidwell going to help this situation
slimecap

TRANSFER OUT

April 30, 2018

"Temple will add Ashley Jones a transfer guard from West Virginia for the 2019-20 season. Jones will sit out the 2018-19 season due to NCAA transfer rules. She played one season at West Virginia, appearing in all 36 games during the 2017-18 season "

- Temple WBB website
slimecap

Hakeem Olajuwon (34) & daughter Abi Olajuwon (4)

NEW ASSISTANT COACH

TCU head coach Raegan Pebley has announced the hiring of Abi Olajuwon as an assistant coach. Olajuwon will serve as the Frogs' recruiting coordinator and work primarily with their post players.

Abi Olajuwon, a 2010 Oklahoma graduate, played in the 2009 and 2010 Women's Final Four. She won Big 12 Championships in 2007 and 2009.

Daughter of NBA Hall of Fame center Hakeem Olajuwon, Abi was a 3rd-round pick by Chicago in the 2010 WNBA Draft. She played for Chicago as a rookie before signing to play with Tulsa in 2011. Additionally, she played oversees for clubs in Hungary, Romania, Isreal, Croatia, France, Brazil, China and Spain in a 3-year professional playing career.

Coaching Experience
2017-18 Eastern Michigan Assistant Coach/Recruiting Coordinator
2016-17 Eastern Michigan Assistant Coach
2014-16 Cal State Fullerton Assistant Coach

- Excerpts from TCU WBB website, 4 May 2018
slimecap

NEW RULES

TRANSFER OUT

May 6, 2018

"The Purdue program landed Texas Tech transfer Lyndsey Whilby on Sunday. The 5-foot-11 guard was a freshman last season with the Lady Raiders, hitting a team-high 39 3-pointers and averaging 7.2 points. Whilby also visited Seton Hall and was scheduled to travel to Wake Forest but opted to cancel and commit to the Boilermakers. Whilby said Purdue will seek a waiver from the NCAA to gain immediate eligibility during the 2018-19 season. Otherwise, Whilby will have to sit out next season.

She attended McEachern High School in Powder Springs, Georgia, leading the program to three straight state championships. Whilby was ranked one of the top 30 wing players in the 2017 class by ESPN's HoopGurlz and was selected as a four-star recruit by ProspectNation.com and a top 100 player by All Star Girls Report.

She's leaving Lubbock, Texas after a drama-filled season.

"I didn't enjoy it at all and the coaching change was part of it," said Whilby, who made nine starts last season.

Whilby played in the same AAU program as junior-to-be and Georgia native Dominique Oden several years ago. Whilby's mother, Regina McClain, played basketball at Iona.

Link to entire article
https://www.jconline.com/story/sports/college/purdue/womens-basketball/2018/05/06/purdue-womens-basketball-adds-texas-tech-transfer/584830002/
BiPolarBear
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2018/05/06/former-am-womens-hoops-standout-joins-texas-graduate-transfer?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1525653513

Former A&M women's hoops standout Danni Williams joins Texas as graduate transfer

Texas A&M women's hoops standout Danni Williams is trading in her maroon for Texas burnt orange.

Texas women's basketball head coach Karen Aston announced Sunday evening that Williams will join the Longhorns as a graduate transfer next season and will be eligible to play immediately.

"We are extremely excited to bring Danni to the Forty Acres for the 2018-19 season," Aston said in a statement. "She is a seasoned basketball player who will immediately bring some maturity and experience to our backcourt. She is a gym rat also, which I think fits with our players, and is a sponge when it comes to wanting to be the best she can be in all areas of her life.

Danni clicked with our players and staff from the start and it seemed like it was a perfect fit. I appreciate her maturity and respect in the process, and believe she and our program will benefit from her coming to Texas. Lastly, there are very few that fit the mold of student-athlete the way that Danni does and we are proud to add her to the Longhorn Family."

2017-18
  • Became the 30th Texas A&M player with 1,000 career points
  • Led the SEC and ranked seventh nationally in minutes played
  • Set the Texas A&M single-season record with 71 made 3-pointers
  • Ranked fifth in the SEC in 3-pointers made
  • Ranked 13th in the SEC with a 41.5 Field Goal Percentage
  • Tied for eighth at Texas A&M with 17 career games of 20+ points
  • Her 35.4% 3-point percentage ranks second on Texas A&M's career list
  • Fifth at Texas A&M with a career free throw percentage of .807
  • Fifth at Texas A&M with 152 career 3-pointers, just 26 short of the Texas A&M career record
  • Ranks 10th at Texas A&M with 58 career double-digit scoring games
  • Made three free throws with 7.8 seconds to give Texas A&M the lead in a 79-76 victory over Tennessee
Wichitabear
That is quite the addition! Pretty talented and gives Texas some more potential fire power. Lol going from an Aggie to a longhorn.
slimecap
BiPolarBear said:

Former A&M women's hoops standout Danni Williams joins Texas as graduate transfer
Hi BiPolarBear,
Appreciate the Danni Williams information very much. Thank you for posting !
slimecap

TRANSFER OUT

Wichitabear
slimecap said:

TRANSFER OUT

My question is why and I hate to hear this
57Bear
From Gofrogs:

2017-18 | Sophmore (Game-by-Game Stats)

Played in 14 of the season's first 15 games Did not see action after TCU's home win over Texas Tech (Jan. 7) Averaged 1.6 points and 10.1 minutes per game Scored 22 points on the season, with nine coming in TCU's win over Southeastern Louisiana (Dec. 10) Made 6-of-15 3-pointers on the season, including 3-of-5 in the win over Southeastern Louisiana Had career-high five assists in win over Northwestern State (Dec. 17).

Emphasis added.
http://www.gofrogs.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/mikayla_christian_1017650.html

Wichitabear
Thank you
slimecap

WNBA

10 May 2018 Los Angeles Ortiz, Gabbi Waived
09 May 2018 Minnesota Pierre-Louis, Vionise Waived
slimecap

TRANSFER OUT

slimecap

NON-CONFERENCE SCHEDULE

2018 Women's Cancun Challenge
November 22-24, 2018
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya

Nov 22 Kansas State vs Syracuse
Nov 23 Kansas State vs DePaul
Nov 24 Kansas State vs Princeton

Link for all 10 teams in 2018 Cancun Challenge & their matchups
https://www.cancunchallenge.net/news/matchups-game-times-announced-for-2018-womens-cancun-challenge
slimecap

HEAD COACH BILL FENNELLY

slimecap

TRANSFER OUT

Grayson Bright

slimecap

COSTA RICA

slimecap

Imani Wright made the 2018 WNBA Phoenix final roster.
.. played for Baylor 2 years before transferring to Florida State.
.. as a Baylor sophomore, started 31 of Baylor's 37 games.
.. as a Baylor sophomore, avg 9.4 points/3.2 rebounds per game. Made a team-high 43 3-pointers.

- Wright's statistics from AP article posted on ESPN, 5 June 2015
slimecap

Shaelyn Martin switches schools, sports for final year of eligibility

Senior guard Shaelyn Martin is headed to Salina to continue her academic and athletic career at Kansas Wesleyan University, a private school whose athletics teams compete in the NAIA. Martin, who has one year of eligibility left, is switching sports too. She will play volleyball for the Coyotes.

"It's a great volleyball program back at home and a great atmosphere and great community support there," Martin said. "It kind of made the decision pretty easy."

She said playing volleyball at some point was always a part of the plan.

"Going into college, I had always thought about using that fifth year for volleyball," Martin said. "It's a sport that I do not think most people realize I love as much as I do. Basketball always came first for me, but I've always enjoyed volleyball."

While K-State fans know her for her talent at basketball, Martin is no stranger to the volleyball court. She was Second Team All-State twice in high school at Salina Central, according to K-State Sports. Martin also ran track in high school.

"Volleyball, basketball and track were my three core sports starting in third and fourth grade," Martin said. "My mom was a volleyball coach growing up, so at a very young age I would do drills with the high school team she coached."

Martin plans to graduate from K-State in May with a degree in kinesiology and will pursue an master's in business administration at KWU before heading off to occupational therapy school.

"Having the opportunity to play and get my MBA in one year is going to be a good use for my year off," Martin said, adding air quotes around "year off."

Martin has attended school and played basketball in Manhattan for 4 years now. She started in games all of those years, including all 33 in her freshman year and all 32 in her sophomore year. She averaged 27 minutes per game over her career. She grew up dreaming of playing basketball at K-State, as she said following K-State's senior day victory over in-state rival Kansas.

"When you are that little girl and you want to play somewhere, to actually be able to do it has been one of the best experiences of my life," Martin said after beating Kansas 91-67.

Martin scored seven points and pulled down 10 rebounds in her 30 minutes of play in the rivalry game. For Martin, KWU was ultimately the right choice and the only one she really wanted.

"If I was going to play, I was going to play back at home," Martin said. "It was not a thing where I wanted to be recruited by a lot of people and have my choice, it was just I wanted to have some fun and have a fun time with a great staff."

- Nathan Enserro, KState Collegian, 20 April 2018
slimecap

NON-CONFERENCE SCHEDULE

"Head coach Bill Fennelly expects the Cyclones to benefit from the
program's first-ever appearance in the Preseason WNIT.

He likes the competitive opportunity that the Preseason WNIT provides.

"It will be a good way to find out if we are ready to play," Fennelly said. "We have a hard-working group of players. They expect more than what we accomplished last season and this is the time of year when you give yourself a chance to make that happen."

- Steve Batterson, Quad-City Times, 20 May 2018

UPDATE
2018 Preseason WNIT field

ACC Miami America East Hartford Big 12 Iowa State Big East Marquette
Big Sky Montana State Colonial Delaware Ivy Yale MAAC Niagara
MAC Northern Illinois MEAC Morgan State MVC Northern Iowa MWC New Mexico
SEC Auburn Southland Nicholls State Southland Stephen F. Austin Sun Belt Texas State
slimecap

TRANSFER OUT

slimecap

NON-CONFERENCE SCHEDULE

Junkanoo Division
Nov 22 UAB vs Oklahoma
Nov 22 Clemson vs Tennessee
Nov 23 Loser #1 vs Loser #2
Nov 24 Winner #1 vs Winner #2
slimecap

2018 Junkanoo Jam

NON-CONFERENCE SCHEDULE

Bimini Division
Nov 23 West Virginia vs Iowa
Nov 23 Eastern Kentucky vs Florida State
Nov 24 Loser #1 vs Loser #2
RioRata
slimecap said:

NON-CONFERENCE SCHEDULE

Junkanoo Division
Nov 22 UAB vs Oklahoma and Clemson vs Tennessee
Nov 23 Loser #1 vs Loser #2

It will be embarrassing, for Sherri, when the Sooners lose to UAB.

Boomer
slimecap

Recee' Caldwell

2018-19 ROSTER

12 players. Recee' Caldwell is not listed.

Link
https://texastech.com/roster.aspx?path=wbball&roster=166&sort=jersey
slimecap

WNBA TV ANALYST

bowdedg
slimecap

2018-19 ROSTER

slimecap

TRANSFER IN

bowdedg
slimecap

FRESHMEN CLASS ARRIVAL

slimecap

FORMER PLAYER
Transferred to Florida State

WNBA
May 28, 2018 Phoenix Imani Wright Waived
slimecap

NCAA TOURNAMENT HISTORY

A look at the rivalry between Texas and Texas A&M's athletic departments
and the times the 2 schools have met in the NCAA tournament

WOMEN'S BASKETBALL
  • Overall record: 62-23, Texas
  • NCAA tournament: 0-0
The women's basketball teams from Texas and Texas A&M have never met in the NCAA tournament.

Link for article
https://www.hookem.com/2018/06/02/texas-vs-texas-am-a-brief-lesson-to-the-longhorns-and-aggies-postseason-rivalry/
First Page Last Page
Page 23 of 159

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.