Big 12 happenings

1,134,095 Views | 5531 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by slimecap
slimecap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A new NCAA rule allows for an earlier start to the season.
The first allowable day is Tuesday, November 6.
DFW Bill
The Early Signing date for the 2018-2019 recruiting year is November 14, 2018. This is when the prospective student athlete can sign a National Letter of Intent. The early signing period stays open for one week.

Jordon Oliver, the 5'10" shooting guard from Prosper, Texas is our only verbal so far for the 2019 High School Class. Oliver is ranked #6 by ESPNHoopgurlz and #25 by Prospects Nation. She also was a member of the U17 US National Team.

The 2019 class has plenty of talented players, however the 2020 class is probably stronger. It is no secret that Sara Andrews PG 5'7" from Irving MacArthur and Hannah Gusters 6'5" Post from Duncanville are at the top of Baylor's wish list for 2020. Andrews is one of the very best High School players I have ever seen play, an incredible talent who still has two more years to play in High School. Sara is ranked #4 by Prospects Nation, there are many colleges that think she is #1.
Wichitabear
Wonderful. Anytime their ready, I'm ready. Lol
BiPolarBear
https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/kansas-state/article214956145.html

K-State women's basketball player Mary Lakes, roommate arrested in Manhattan

BY KELLIS ROBINETT
[url=https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/kansas-state/article214956145.html][/url]

July 16, 2018 11:48 AM
Updated July 16, 2018 06:24 PM
MANHATTAN

Kansas State women's basketball player Mary Lakes and a roommate, Tanija Flora, were arrested early Monday morning in Manhattan.

Lakes, an 18-year-old sophomore center with the Wildcats, was charged with domestic battery/knowingly or recklessly causing bodily injury to a partner or family member. Flora, a 20-year-old who shares the same address as Lakes, was charged with aggravated battery.

Riley County police arrested Lakes at 12:10 a.m. on the 1800 block of College Avenue. Flora was arrested approximately five minutes later at the Riley County Police Department.

Lakes was confined following the arrest with a bond of $1,000. Flora's bond was set at $5,000.

A spokesman for the K-State women's basketball team said the Wildcats "are gathering all of the information about the incident at this time," before adding that he had "no further comment until more is known."

Lakes appeared in 33 games as a freshman, making three starts. She averaged 1.6 points and 2.1 rebounds.
BiPolarBear
BiPolarBear said:

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/kansas-state/article214956145.html

K-State women's basketball player Mary Lakes, roommate arrested in Manhattan

BY KELLIS ROBINETT
[url=https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/kansas-state/article214956145.html][/url]

July 16, 2018 11:48 AM
Updated July 16, 2018 06:24 PM
MANHATTAN

Kansas State women's basketball player Mary Lakes and a roommate, Tanija Flora, were arrested early Monday morning in Manhattan.

Lakes, an 18-year-old sophomore center with the Wildcats, was charged with domestic battery/knowingly or recklessly causing bodily injury to a partner or family member. Flora, a 20-year-old who shares the same address as Lakes, was charged with aggravated battery.

Riley County police arrested Lakes at 12:10 a.m. on the 1800 block of College Avenue. Flora was arrested approximately five minutes later at the Riley County Police Department.

Lakes was confined following the arrest with a bond of $1,000. Flora's bond was set at $5,000.

A spokesman for the K-State women's basketball team said the Wildcats "are gathering all of the information about the incident at this time," before adding that he had "no further comment until more is known."

Lakes appeared in 33 games as a freshman, making three starts. She averaged 1.6 points and 2.1 rebounds.

Sounds like a Cat Fight in more ways than one. Go Cats I guess is the word of the day.
Wichitabear
Me oooooow
slimecap

ROSTER ADDITION

Pale Rider
Always pulling for Iowa State, except when they play us.
slimecap

SHAINA PELLINGTON

slimecap

FORMER ASSOCIATE HEAD COACH TINA THOMPSON

June 11, 2018

slimecap

2018 GULF COAST SHOWCASE
Possible Opponents

Ball State, Duke, Fordham, Michigan, Missouri, Quinnipiac & Washington
slimecap

2018-19 NON-CONFERENCE SCHEDULE
UPDATE 23 July 2018

Nov 24 @ San Diego State SDSU Thanksgiving Classic
Nov 29 @ Ole Miss BIG 12 / SEC Challenge
Dec 16 Southern University
HoustonBear15
slimecap said:

SHAINA PELLINGTON

I was impressed by OU's two freshman guards. They were fun to watch and carried a big load for that squad. Would still rather have our freshmen over them but those two will be good for OU in the coming seasons.
slimecap

UPDATE 23 July 2018

Nov 09 Niagara Preseason WNIT
Nov 11 Preseason WNIT
Nov 13-15 Preseason WNIT
Nov 18 Preseason WNIT championship game
Nov 28 @ USouth Dakota
Dec 02 Arkansas BIG 12 / SEC Challenge

2018 Preseason WNIT field
ACC Miami America East Hartford Big 12 Iowa State Big East Marquette
Big Sky Montana State Colonial Delaware Ivy Yale MAAC Niagara
MAC Northern Illinois MEAC Morgan State MVC Northern Iowa MWC New Mexico
SEC Auburn Southland Nicholls State Southland Stephen F. Austin Sun Belt Texas State

2018 Preseason WNIT bracket

Link for larger image of bracket
https://www.womensnit.com/bracket.html
slimecap

SYTIA MESSER
Assistant Coach / Recruiting Coordinator

slimecap
Bone Squad said:

Our top two teams vs. theirs. I don't think they've ever scheduled it that way before, as the best teams have been paired with more middling teams from the other conference. This time it will actually be interesting.
BIG 12 / SEC CHALLENGE

Hi Bone Squad, Excellent point !
Reflecting on your statement, some of the scheduling imbalance could possibly be attributed to the early schedule determination of the 2017 pairing of teams. The 2017 schedule was released at the same time as the 2016 schedule.

EXCERPT edited from article published April 30, 2015
"The inaugural challenge was held in 2014 in Little Rock, Ark., and featured a top 5 matchup with No. 3 Texas squaring off against No. 4 Texas A&M. Oklahoma and Arkansas, who were both receiving votes in the Associated Press Poll, played in the second game. The conferences split the Challenge with the two games decided by a total of nine points.

The 2015 version will be contested in Oklahoma City on December 20, 2015 with the opponents reversed. Texas will play Arkansas while Oklahoma entertains Texas A&M."

2016 SEC / Big 12 Challenge
Baylor @ Tennessee
Kansas @ Alabama
Oklahoma @ Kentucky
TCU @ Florida
Texas Tech @ Arkansas
Mississippi State @ Iowa State
Auburn @ Kansas State
Georgia @ Oklahoma State
South Carolina @ Texas
Ole Miss @ West Virginia
SEC non-participants Florida, Missouri, Texas A&M and Vanderbilt

2017 Big 12 / SEC Challenge
Kentucky @ Baylor
Arkansas @ Kansas
Florida @ Oklahoma
Alabama @ TCU
LSU @ Texas Tech
Iowa State @ Vanderbilt
Kansas State @ Missouri
Oklahoma State @ Mississippi State
Texas @ Georgia
West Virginia @ Texas A&M
SEC non-participants Auburn, Ole Miss, South Carolina and Tennessee

Link for entire article
http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=210054889
slimecap

2018 BIG 12 / SEC CHALLENGE
Released 23 July 2018

Nov 29 Kansas @ LSU
Nov 29 TCU @ Ole Miss

Dec 02 Baylor @ South Carolina
Dec 02 Oklahoma @ Auburn
Dec 02 Texas Tech @ Florida
Dec 02 Arkansas @ Iowa State
Dec 02 Vanderbilt @ Kansas State
Dec 02 Tennessee @ Oklahoma State
Dec 02 Mississippi State @ Texas
Dec 02 Missouri @ West Virginia

.. Every team from the Big 12 will participate
.. 10 teams from the 14-team SEC will participate
.. 2018 SEC non-participants: Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky and Texas A&M
.. Format features 5 home games on campus sites for each conference per year
.. Teams will not face the same opponent twice

- BIG 12 WBB website
slimecap

UPDATE 23 July 2018

Nov 11 Univ Louisiana Monroe
Dec 02 @ Florida Big 12/SEC Challenge
Dec 15 @ Nevada
Dec 18 Southern University
slimecap

WNBA
Alexis Prince

July 25, 2018 Atlanta Prince, Alexis
Contract Signed Rest-of-Season
slimecap

2021 REGIONAL ROUND HOSTS

July 18, 2018

"The NCAA Division I Women's Basketball Committee has awarded regional-round hosting duties for the 2021 and 2022 championships to seven cities, with Spokane, Washington, hosting in both years.

Selected to host regionals in 2021 are Albany, New York (Times Union Center); the Austin, Texas, area (H-E-B Center in Cedar Park); Cincinnati (Cintas Center); and Spokane (Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena), with play taking place March 26-29.

Austin, which has hosted an NCAA championship-record 18 regional games at the Frank Erwin Center, will host in 2021 at the H-E-B Center.

Link for entire article
https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-women/article/2018-07-18/regional-sites-named-2021-and-2022-di-womens-basketball
slimecap

NEW DIRECTOR OF PLAYER DEVELOPMENT

July 19, 2018

Alan Major. a veteran coach with more than 20 years of experience at some of the nation's top men's college basketball programs, has been named Director of Player Development for Texas Women's Basketball, head coach Karen Aston announced Thursday.

"It's a privilege to bring Alan into our Longhorn Family," Aston said. "I have known him for a long time - since our days at Charlotte - and have always appreciated his passion for teaching and studying the game. Alan will bring a different set of eyes and will be instrumental in strategizing about reaching our potential as a program. I'm excited to work with him and share his ideas."

In his role at Texas, Major will actively participate in the development of the program's student-athletes, will serve as a program analyst for the coaching staff and will assist with on-campus recruiting, video scouting and community events.

EDUCATION
1992 - Purdue University - [B.Ed. - Sociology]
1995 - California Lutheran University - [M.Ed. - Physical Education]

COACHING EXPERIENCE
1992-95 - Cal Lutheran [Men's Assistant Coach]
1995-98 - Pacific [Men's Assistant Coach]
1998-99 - Southern Illinois [Men's Assistant Coach]
1999-00 - Pacific [Men's Assistant Coach]
2001-04 - Xavier [Men's Assistant Coach]
2004-10 - Ohio State [Men's Assistant Coach]
2010-15 - Charlotte [Men's Head Coach]
2016-17 - Ohio State [Men's Director of Recruiting and Player Development]
2018-Present - Texas [Women's Director of Player Development]

- Texas WBB website
slimecap

RECRUITING OFFER

2019 Kennedi Jackson
6-4 F
Ursuline Academy High School New Orleans LA
Offered July 17-22, 2018

- Raoul twitter feed, 23 July 2018
Florda_mike
slimecap

SHERRI COALE

slimecap

BAYLOR LEADS BIG 12 RECRUITING 2018
June 19, 2018

01 Baylor
02 Texas
03 Oklahoma
04 Iowa State
05 West Virginia
06 Kansas
07 Kansas State
08 TCU
09 Texas Tech
10 Oklahoma State

Link for entire article that includes ASGR individual player rankings
https://asgrbasketball.com/big-12-recruiting-class-rankings/
Wichitabear
That's great
slimecap

RECRUITING FINALISTS
2019 Elizabeth Scott

slimecap

UPDATE 01 Aug 2018

Nov 06 Duquesne
Nov 24 @ San Diego State SDSU Thanksgiving Classic
slimecap

RECRUITING OFFERS

August 1, 2018

"Chantae Embry's sophomore season may be over before it even started. She will undergo surgery next week to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament she suffered July 7 during an AAU tournament in Kentucky. Doctors expect recovery to be six months, meaning Chantae may be able to return in the playoffs. But there is no plan to rush her return to the court.

Embry, a 6-foot-2 star who was ranked No. 1 in her class nationally, averaged 22.3 points and 8.9 rebounds as a freshman while leading Prague to the state tournament.

.. once committed to Oklahoma State
.. reopened her recruitment while picking up offers from
Arkansas, Tulsa, Oral Roberts, TCU, Texas A&M and Texas Tech."

Link for entire article
https://newsok.com/article/5603374/pragues-chantae-embry-tears-acl
slimecap

FORMER PLAYER RECEE' CALDWELL
Caldwell transferred to California on June 26, 2018

"For the first time in program history, Cal women's basketball added a graduate transfer to their program in 5'9" guard Recee' Caldwell out of Texas Tech. Caldwell has had an interesting journey to Cal, playing her freshman season at UCLA before transferring to Texas Tech. A former McDonald's All-American, Caldwell comes to Cal with plenty of experience and the opportunity to be an impact player.

"So, coming out of high school I chose UCLA," Caldwell explained. "I played there for a year. I actually got hurt in January and transferred right after school ended in May or June. Went to Texas Tech. My dad became the assistant coach there so that was my main reason in going there. I redshirt my first year. Obviously I couldn't play for transfer rules. Played the next two years and because I graduated I was eligible to be a grad transfer and that's why I'm here at Cal Berkeley."

When it came time to figuring out where she wanted to play her fifth year, Cal seemed like a natural fit.

"The staff is incredible here first of all," Caldwell said of why she chose Cal. "I've had relationships with them since I was in seventh grade. Coach G has always been my person. Even though I went to other schools we always had a great relationship. Whether it's through recruiting, we just always kept in contact. She was just always a really good person. A good sort of mentor to me. The other reason was I was with Wendale [Farrow] at UCLA and I realize the importance now of being at two different schools the importance of assistant coaches. They're with you every day. Coach G doesn't get to be around us a lot of the time or sometimes because she has head coaching duties, but you're working out with your assistant coaches every day so the fact that he knew his stuff, he knew what he was doing, that was really important to me. So, the fact that he was here was just a plus for me and then also I've known a lot of these girls growing up. Ever since I was in 6th-7th grade being from California. So, the chemistry and being happy in my last year was really important to me."

While she is known for her ability to shoot from beyond the arc, Caldwell feels her biggest asset is her experience and ability to provide veteran leadership. One of the things that should help Caldwell thrive is the style of play in the Pac-12.

While the Big XII is a more physical brand of basketball,
the Pac-12 plays a more finesse style that better suites Caldwell's game.

"Pac-12 I feel like is a lot more finesse," Caldwell said. "Big XII you go over there and it's just so physical. I feel like you get away with a lot more in the Big XII as to holding and the physicalness of the game. I think in the Big XII you could just see in the difference of the players. Like you have 6'5", 6'6" girls every night. You usually have two of them in the Big XII. Pac usually have like stretch-fours that can play fives that really just have finesse type of games. So I just think it's two different styles of play. Obviously, I would pick the Pac-12. I just think in the Big XII you get away with so much. Whether it's off ball screens, you have people holding you; Pac-12 I feel like, I don't know how to say it, but you don't get away with as much honestly. So, I think the Pac-12 I would say."

Going a little bit deeper, Caldwell said that the real difference lies in the Pac-12 being much more free flowing, allowing offensive oriented players to thrive with very little resistance from defenders.

Switching gears to the academic side, Caldwell will be getting an M.A. in Public Health at Cal after graduating from Texas Tech with a B.A. in Business.

"Yeah, so I'm getting my masters in Public Health. I think I should finish in one and half years, so that'd be cool to finish pretty early as compared to two," Caldwell said.

When it is all said and done, the main thing that Recee' Caldwell hopes to accomplish is lead Cal to a deep run in the NCAA Tournament. The NCAA Tournament is a place she's never been before and Cal having been there back-to-back times presents her with an excellent opportunity to finally get there."

Link for the entire article
https://cal.rivals.com/news/recee-caldwell-is-excited-to-be-a-golden-bear
slimecap

Released 3 Aug 2018

Oct 28 Northeastern Oklahoma State Exhibition
Nov 09 Arkansas State
Nov 11 UC Riverside
Nov 15 Prairie View A&M
Nov 21 Samford
Nov 27 @ Wichita State
Nov 30 Texas State
Dec 02 Tennessee BIG 12 / SEC Challenge
Dec 09 Houston Baptist
Dec 16 @ UCLA
Dec 21 Oral Roberts
Dec 30 Grambling State
slimecap

2018 ITALY GAME SCHEDULE

Aug 06 Bosnia/Herzegovina National Team Rome
Aug 08 TK Hannover German Club Florence
Aug 10 Muggia Select Trieste
slimecap

2019 RECRUITING OFFER
July 30, 2018

Kennady Tucker
5-10 PG
Little Rock, AR
slimecap

UPDATE 04 Aug 2018

Nov 06 Duquesne
Nov 23 BYU @ SDSU Thanksgiving Classic
Nov 24 San Diego State @ SDSU Thanksgiving Classic
slimecap

2019 VERBAL COMMIT

First Page Last Page
Page 26 of 159

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.