Story Poster
Photo by Jack Mackenzie - SicEm365
Baylor Women's Basketball

Six Bears Score in Double Figures, Baylor WBB Dominates SBU 97-40

November 3, 2022

WACO, Texas — Behind double-digit scoring performances from six different players, No. 18 Baylor coasted to a 97-40 victory over Southwest Baptist in exhibition play on Thursday night in the Ferrell Center. Missouri transfer Aijha Blackwell led the charge for the Bears, as she finished with a game-high 16-points to go along with four rebounds.

“I just try to take advantage of mismatches and Coach Nicki trusts my ability to score in the paint, so I just tried to do my best,” said Blackwell. “Whenever I see an opening in the defense I’m going to attack, but whenever I need to give it up, I want to see my teammates eat as well.”

Southwest Baptist was able to keep the game competitive early on, but the Bears clamped down defensively, forcing 10 turnovers while holding the Bearcats to 2-11 shooting to close out the first quarter. 

Baylor blew the game open in the second quarter, behind an offensive barrage by grad-transfer Ja’Mee Asberry with 11-points in the quarter, including a trifecta from beyond the arch. Asberry’s performance helped lead the way for a 26-3 run heading into halftime up 46-16.

“You know, sometimes I just need to see one go in and then after that I’m good, but even if my shots aren’t falling, then I’m gonna play harder on defense,” said Asberry. “Tonight my first bucket was a three, and I was like now I’m gonna hit another one and I did so it went from there.”

Jack Mackenzie - SicEm365

The Bears were able to force 24 turnovers on the night, which they converted into 36-points. Baylor also controlled the paint with 52-points, despite not having Caitlin Bickle, Erika Porter or Dre’Una Edwards available. 

“Points in the paint are important, and Coach Nicki always talks about getting a piece of the paint before we score and it showed tonight,” said Blackwell. “If we get inside the paint, we’re going to score, period.”

You couldn’t have scripted a better start as a freshman than what Baylor got out of dynamic duo Darianna Littlepage-Buggs (13pts, 8 rebounds) and Bella Fontleroy (12pts, 6 rebounds. Coach Collen expressed her joy with the young stars after the game.

“I thought Buggs was good from the beginning. She really got after it defensively,” said Collen. “We have versatile kids but, when you get them you kind of blow their minds when you ask them to play two positions. There is no difference between the 2 and the 3 for us, or the 4 and the 5, but the 3 and the 4, are you coming off screens or setting screens.”

“We had a couple of injuries, so yesterday we told Bella we needed her to play the 4 some now and in the first half she was running the 3 and playing the 4,” said Collen. “My favorite play of the game was Buggs attacking the 6’6 kid to a jump shot, even I was a little surprised by that one.”

As far as a timeline for players to return, it’s going to differ per situation according to Coach Collen.

“We expect Bickle back within the next few weeks, it’s going to be a couple of weeks for sure, maybe even three,” said Collen. “Ericka is a little day-to-day and we’re looking at as early as a week, as long as two weeks potentially. Dre’Una is an eligibility situation.”

The Bears will be back in action on Monday night, as they welcome Lamar to the Ferrell Center for the first regular season game of the year, with tip-off set for 7:00 p.m.

Discussion from...

Six Bears Score in Double Figures, Baylor WBB Dominates SBU 97-40

3,271 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Baylorkid
MrGolfguy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
W
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
Scottdye
What is wrong with Catlin? I saw her hand has a wrap.
WacoKelly83
What is the eligibility problem Coach mentions that kept Dre'una from playing?
blueeyedbear
WacoKelly83 said:

That answer will probably fall under student privacy rights
sicem45
WacoKelly83 said:

Per a couple of sources, it appears to be on the academic side. Hopefully they hear good news soon.
Baylorkid
Damn I wanted Bickle to play every game this year! Sucks that she's injured for 3 more weeks
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.