Story Poster
Photo by Jack Mackenzie - SicEm365
Baylor Women's Basketball

The 1-3-1: No. 18 Baylor (7-2) vs Tennessee State (4-5)

December 14, 2022

After having a week off to recharge, No. 18 Baylor (7-2) returns to the court on Thursday morning against Tennessee State (4-5) in the Ferrell Center. The 11:00 a.m. tip will allow over 5,000 students from 24 local school districts to attend as part of Future Bears Day.

Here is the 1-3-1 on the Bears vs Tennessee State.

One Threat:

While Baylor is deservingly the favorite in this game, they can’t sleep on Tennessee State guard duo Erica Haynes-Overton and Houston native Gia Adams. 

Adams started all 31 games for the Tigers last season as a true freshman, earning Ohio Valley Conference Freshman of the Year — she entered this season on the All-OVC Preseason Team.

Haynes-Overton was tabbed OVC Newcomer of the Week on Tuesday morning, following her 17.0 ppg, 4.0 rebounds, and 2.5 steal performance against Southern Illinois and Stetson last week.

Currently, Adams ranks second in the OVC with 16.7 ppg, while Haynes-Overton finds herself in fourth with 14.4 ppg. 

Three Nuggets:

• Tennessee State is in search of their first road victory of the season, as they currently sit 0-4
  • Baylor’s 55-point margin of  victory over UT Arlington was the largest of the Nicki Collen era
  • The Bears' win over UTA marked the first time this season they held an opponent to hold their opponent to single digits in three of the four quarters

One Key:

The Bears have been able to see the development of freshman Darianna Littlepage-Buggs unfold before their eyes over the past couple of weeks. Her efforts on the court have led to Big 12 Freshman of the Week honors, while she leads all Division I freshmen in rebounds per game (9.1) and is the only rookie in the country averaging at least nine boards a contest.

If Buggs can control the boards once again against Tennessee State, it should lead to Baylor having a field day with transition buckets. Expect to see the bench shine once again in the game as well, after they played a significant role this season out scoring the competition 197-125 this season.

Conclusion:

Baylor shouldn’t have much problem with Tennessee State, but the main thing is to come away healthy. The Bears will need to be as close to full strength as possible before Sunday, as they head to the American Airlines Center in Dallas to face No. 20 Arizona (7-1).

Discussion from...

The 1-3-1: No. 18 Baylor (7-2) vs Tennessee State (4-5)

2,953 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by hitmanmw
GarlandBear84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Game is underway on ESPN Plus. Gillespie is in a walking boot. We lead 8-3.
franke
She's baaaaaack
GarlandBear84
45-19 at half. Buggs 18 and 5 and she even missed a bunny. Blackwell scored 11.
GarlandBear84
Buggs scored 30 and Tennessee State scored 27. 93 is now our season high.
MrGolfguy
Beatdown concluded

93-27
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
BearFan33
Sorry I missed it. I'm going to watch on demand on ESPN +
Brusinbear2001
Darianna has an opportunity to not only be the freshman of the week but the PLAYER OF THE WEEK with this performance. I am so happy to see Blackwell return I hope she has a great year and continues to get more and more healthy. We have to limit turnovers. Watching the game sometimes it looked like we were all looking to pass instead of looking for a shot when it is wide open. It will be interesting to see the rotation changes with AB coming back and the freshman putting up great numbers. I am happy they were able to be thrown into the fire we took two losses but they were not bad losses. We could have won both of them but we lacked a little experience during those times. Let's finish nonconference strong and go to the big 12 swinging!!
hitmanmw
So great to see Blackwell back!! Our passing still makes me nervous and can be very ugly at times. I agree we were turning down a LOT of open shots. Buggs is our defensive stopper. I think she could guard virtually any position. What's the timetable for Dre??
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.