Story Poster
Photo by Jack Mackenzie - SicEm365
Baylor Women's Basketball

The 1-3-1: No. 23 Baylor vs TCU in Big 12 Opener

December 30, 2022

On Saturday afternoon, No. 23 Baylor (9-3) will begin the pursuit of their thirteenth consecutive Big 12 Championship as they host TCU (6-5) at 2:00 p.m. in the Ferrell Center. The Bears won the last meeting with the Frogs 93-63 last February when both teams were ranked in the Top 25.

On the health front, Baylor fans can be at ease with any concerns regarding the status of Jaden Ownes. After missing the non-conference finally against Long Beach State, Ownes was in great spirits when she met with the media on Thursday.

“I’m good, I’m good,” said a smiling Ownes. “My absence last time out was really just for preventive purposes. Now that we’re hitting conference play I’m ready to go, no problems at all.”

Here is the 1-3-1 on Baylor vs TCU.

One Player:

While Baylor boasts the more talented roster across the board, they can’t afford to sleep on TCU guard Tomi Taiwo. The grad transfer from Iowa leads the Horned Frogs in scoring with 14.5PPG and has experience playing high-level competition with seven NCAA Tournament games under her belt.

When she’s not scoring, Taiwo does an excellent job of distributing the rock with 20 assists on the season — she also leads TCU in steals with 19. Taiwo’s success this season has earned the respect of Baylor head coach Nicki Collen.

“Taiwo is definitely their most aggressive scorer,” said Collen. “She does a good job of shooting the three and taking the ball to the rim and drawing fouls, where she is making 90% of her free throws.”

Three Nuggets:

• Saturday will mark the 50th time in a series that dates back to the 1982-83 season.
  •   The Bears have won 34 straight games against TCU – a streak that dates back to Jan. 12, 1991.
  •  In the last 22 meetings against TCU, the Bears have been ranked inside the AP Top-25 poll all 22 times.

One Quote:

As Coach Collen addressed the media, she was really honest about the adversity this season and the toll it’s taken at times. While the Bears have an idea of what they would like for their identity to become, injuries and outside factors have made putting that together on the floor difficult so far this season.

“We’ve definitely talked about how we haven’t done enough this season to put a championship banner for the 2023 season up in the practice gym,” said Collen. “The tough part for me as a coach has been that a year ago we started the same lineup every game and knew who we were.”

“When I watch Kansas, I know who they are. When I watch Oklahoma, they know who they are and who they’re going to play to and through,” said Collen. “By the nature that our non-conference has gone, we’re still trying to figure that out. I hate saying that, but when you’ve played twelve games with seven starting lineups, maybe I have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable from game to game.”

The contest is available for streaming via Big 12 Now on ESPN+ and live in-game updates will also be provided via Twitter or live stats.

Discussion from...

The 1-3-1: No. 23 Baylor vs TCU in Big 12 Opener

4,351 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Dcheetah
Threebears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Blackwell and Edwards were expected to be starters and team leaders, so not having them means reorganizing on the fly. Edwards and the guards have to hit to take pressure off the freshmen.
ScottS
Lomers with the tip
ctxbear
Radio broadcast?
Baylorkid
Ja'mee sucks. Gotten beat so many times by the tcu guards! Didn't someone say she was our best perimeter defender? Also she can't shoot in big games.
sicem45
If they dont learn to take care of the ball, we are in for a world of hurt in conference play

TCU is not good
geewago
sicem45 said:

If they dont learn to take care of the ball, we are in for a world of hurt in conference play

TCU is not good
. Say what? You've been predicting some mighty promising thingd
Eball
This is not a great game . Poorly played by both teams.
sicem45
Feels like Andrews has regressed
IowaBear
Dude predicted a title in year 1 for us lol
sicem45
IowaBear said:

Well Coach Collens star transfers Blackwell and Edwards not playing is kind of a big loss....

sicem45
Bickle having a great game
BUBBFAN
sicem45 said:

IowaBear said:

Well Coach Collens star transfers Blackwell and Edwards not playing is kind of a big loss....

Difference maker, from decent to not so great.
Eball
4th quarter much better but TCU is really a bad team.
Dcheetah
Ja'mee finished 6 of 10 for 16, 3assts and 4rbs. Her perimeter D is as good as any of our guards and CNC considers it the best and assigns her to the best shooting guard on the other team.
Dcheetah
You are right but it didn't help us to have no post Christmas game to warm up.

We will find out a lot about our team in the next 3 games.
MrGolfguy
W

Solid 22 pt win
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
blueeyedbear
Baylorkid said:

Ja'mee sucks. Gotten beat so many times by the tcu guards! Didn't someone say she was our best perimeter defender? Also she can't shoot in big games.
Stat Line for Ja'Mee

Points. 16
FG. 6/10 - 60.0%
3FG. 3/5 - 60.0%
4 Assists
3 Rebounds
1 TO
1 Steal
1 Block

TCU Player she was assigned to guard Tomi Taiwo was averaging 14.5 point per game - held to 6 Pts !!!
JaMee was covering for another teammate who missed her assignment on one play that made her look very bad on.

God she really sucks - NOT !!!!
T-REX
Only a few students came but we made sure to cook up some frog legs & remind tcu that
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
Bear3
Did you watch the entire game?!?! Look at JaMee's stats. Not stats that a player who "sucks" gets….
Baylorkid
Bear3 said:

Did you watch the entire game?!?! Look at JaMee's stats. Not stats that a player who "sucks" gets….

That was a comment in the first quarter. She did have a good game today but she's still wildly inconsistent!
Dcheetah
Dcheetah
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.