No TX WBB team in Top 25 -- first time in history of AP Poll

1,481 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by whitetrash
Wicked_Wombat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
From espn article: https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35511047/in-first-women-basketball-ap-top-25-no-texas-teams

For the first time in the 47-year history of The Associated Press women's basketball poll no team from Texas is in the Top 25.

The Texas Longhorns fell out of Monday's poll, ending a 835-week run that had at least one team from the Lone Star state in the rankings. From Wayland Baptist, Stephen F. Austin and Baylor appearing in the first poll in 1976 to Texas' No. 25 ranking last week, there has always been at least one team from the state in the poll until now.

"Texas is the oil state and also has certainly been rich in women's basketball as well," said Mel Greenberg, who started the poll in the 1976-77 season while with the Philadelphia Inquirer. "When I started, the state had some of the best teams with Wayland and Stephen F. Austin. Then Jody (Conradt) at Texas and eventually Kim (Mulkey) at Baylor continued the tradition."
baylor1984
Vic let the whole state down. Damn him!
Malbec
baylor1984 said:

I blame Karen Aston at UTSA. What kind of Deputy Sheriff goes 4-14?
baylor1984
Malbec said:

baylor1984 said:

She's the Barney Fife of Deputy Sheriff's.
whitetrash
baylor1984 said:

Malbec said:

baylor1984 said:

More like the Enos of the conference. Barney at least had a good heart and meant well even if competency was lacking.
baylor1984
whitetrash said:

baylor1984 said:

Malbec said:

baylor1984 said:

More like the Enos of the conference. Barney at least had a good heart and meant well even if competency was lacking.
So True.
lookin4awin
I smiled when DiDi was interviewed during the Texas game, and she made a comment about the rivalry being enhanced by the KM vs. KA component. My first thought was it really wasn't a rivalry, because to have a rivalry both sides have to win occasionally.

DID KA beat KM one time? I think she did once, but I hope I'm wrong and its zero.
BUVA
Yes, one time in Waco, when Brooke McCarty was PG. That's when Aston was first declared "new sheriff in town."
lookin4awin
That's right, thank you. I was pretty sure they beat us once in Waco....
whitetrash
BUVA said:

Yes, one time in Waco, when Brooke McCarty was PG. That's when Aston was first declared "new sheriff in town."
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.