Has Griner spoken since her release and has BU been in touch?

1,904 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by One-Eyed Wheeler
Ghostrider
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Also wondering if WBB reached out and was going to bring her back to Waco? Seems like a great opportunity to bring back our best WBB ever and reunite her with Baylor and show our support.
chorne68
Ghostrider said:

Also wondering if WBB reached out and was going to bring her back to Waco? Seems like a great opportunity to bring back our best WBB ever and reunite her with Baylor and show our support.
Totally agree.
lookin4awin
Agree with that.
ctxbear
Ghostrider said:

CNC has indicated numerous times that plans are in the works but it has just been a scheduling issue. At the service just before Christmas celebrating her return at University Baptist Church, she indicated that she didn't know if that would happen at the Ferrell Center or at the new arena. I know that BG has reposted on social media stuff from CNC and Baylor WBB, and that Coach Collen was one of the people Cherelle Griner thanked in her post after BG's release. So the relationship is there.

I personally would love to see it happen at the new arena, and for BG to be the first BU player to have their number, not just jersey retired. Aside from (maybe) RG3, no other BU athlete elevated the attention to a single Baylor sport beyond what it had been before the way she did.
Malbec

Quote:

Aside from (maybe) RG3, no other BU athlete elevated the attention to a single Baylor sport beyond what it had been before the way she did.

Well maybe one other...

Ghostrider
ctxbear said:

Ghostrider said:

CNC has indicated numerous times that plans are in the works but it has just been a scheduling issue. At the service just before Christmas celebrating her return at University Baptist Church, she indicated that she didn't know if that would happen at the Ferrell Center or at the new arena. I know that BG has reposted on social media stuff from CNC and Baylor WBB, and that Coach Collen was one of the people Cherelle Griner thanked in her post after BG's release. So the relationship is there.

I personally would love to see it happen at the new arena, and for BG to be the first BU player to have their number, not just jersey retired. Aside from (maybe) RG3, no other BU athlete elevated the attention to a single Baylor sport beyond what it had been before the way she did.
Michael Johnson?
Timbear
Didn't the no show turnout by Baylor and Waco to welcome Griner back answer the question?
ctxbear
Timbear said:

Didn't the no show turnout by Baylor and Waco to welcome Griner back answer the question?
Answer what question?
Bone Squad
How much promotion did UBC do for that event though? It was scheduled by a college-student based church on a date after the university was was shut down for Christmas break. If you look at the church's Facebook page, you will see where they live-streamed the service, but no Facebook "Event" was set up for it, nor is there a single mention of it coming up. The first I ever heard about it was after it had already happened, and I look at this forum pretty regularly - there was no reference to it here either.

With little to no publicity until after the fact, OF COURSE only 20 people showed up! I don't think that is a good measuring stick for whether Baylor Nation would support her being honored at a game or having her jersey retired in the near future. (Which is not to say there would not be any detractors at all).
ctxbear
Bone Squad said:

How much promotion did UBC do for that event though? It was scheduled by a college-student based church on a date after the university was was shut down for Christmas break. If you look at the church's Facebook page, you will see where they live-streamed the service, but no Facebook "Event" was set up for it, nor is there a single mention of it coming up. The first I ever heard about it was after it had already happened, and I look at this forum pretty regularly - there was no reference to it here either.

With little to no publicity until after the fact, OF COURSE only 20 people showed up! I don't think that is a good measuring stick for whether Baylor Nation would support her being honored at a game or having her jersey retired in the near future. (Which is not to say there would not be any detractors at all).

Not that I've protected my anonymity much on these boards over the years (I'm only moderately active anyway), but at risk of doing so here, I'll say that I was one of the people who helped plan this service. Some of your critique here is fair. But there's more to the story.

The service was originally intended as a prayer service/vigil for BG's return, as well as the return of other prisoners. We had been working behind the scenes for a while to get clearance from BG's people, as we didn't want to do anything without their blessing. Once we finally got that clearance, we wanted to move quickly before she was moved to the penal colony, knowing that could have been the last time for a while the public's attention was still on her. We knew the fact that this was occurring after students had left for the break was a risk, but we thought it was important to not delay. We spread the word to a lot of people, and got indications that many of them would be there.

We put out social media posts on the afternoon of December 7th announcing the event, and those posts got a lot of traction, being shared dozens of times from various accounts. I'm aware that social media activity doesn't equate to potential attendance, but it was promising. Then we all woke up on December 8th with the incredible news that BG was being released. We made a quick decision to continue with the service but to rework it as a "Service of Celebration." We did this for several reasons-- The holidays provided such a perfect backdrop for what had occurred, that we didn't want to miss that opportunity. Also, CNC had agreed to participate, and we knew after the new year began that conference play would likely make her involvement more difficult and that the new year would also diminish people's attention to the story. Lastly, I was also aware of the ESPN reporter digging around for the story on Waco/Baylor's response to BG's detainment, and I thought the release of that would help gain momentum.

As it happened, the ESPN story was delayed by several days and didn't release until the day after the event. Couple this with people leaving town for the holidays, loss of attention on the story, and the result was a low in-person turnout.

Of course, if we knew then what we know now, we would have waited until the new year to hold the service. Regardless, I am proud of the service and our advocacy on behalf of BG. In addition to the around 20 people who attended, we had over 300 views of the Facebook stream by noon on the next day. After the ESPN story was released, those views doubled. The service was meaningful. Coach Collen poured her heart out. The stories shared were powerful. We bore witness to the pain and joy of the entire situation, and I'll never regret that.
Bone Squad
I appreciate the context. And I only looked at Facebook, rather than any other social media platforms, so I stand corrected on that account.

I want to clarify that I did not intend any of that as a slam against the church. I meant only that with limited publicity and the timing involved, it would not be fair to infer a low level of support for Griner from the low turnout.
One-Eyed Wheeler
ctxbear said:

Ghostrider said:

I would only retire numbers or jersey's of athletes that actually graduated from Baylor
Baylorkid
One-Eyed Wheeler said:

ctxbear said:

Ghostrider said:

I would only retire numbers or jersey's of athletes that actually graduated from Baylor

She did graduate!
Timbear
The question is should/will Griner come back to Baylor. The organizers of her welcome home celebration in Waco received Zero attendance support from Baylor and Waco, remember? Obviously, the Baylor and Waco communities have spoken their decision with their feet. Griner has disavowed Baylor and America by her woke actions, and she's an International embarrassment to Baylor. If she's invited back for one night to have her number retired, fine, but only if Kim is invited back and honored also.
ctxbear
Timbear said:

The question is should/will Griner come back to Baylor. The organizers of her welcome home celebration in Waco received Zero attendance support from Baylor and Waco, remember? Obviously, the Baylor and Waco communities have spoken their decision with their feet. Griner has disavowed Baylor and America by her woke actions, and she's an International embarrassment to Baylor. If she's invited back for one night to have her number retired, fine, but only if Kim is invited back and honored also.

I see. So either you read that article from that sports website that is basically ESPN for MAGA-World, or you are as committed to misunderstanding the situation as its writer. (Or both.) The article suggested that the service was intended as a "Welcome home" or "Homecoming" service for BG, and that the low turnout was an indictment on BG. The very tweetable implication was that BG was there and no one welcomed her home.

I understand how that false framing of the service is helpful for the narrative of the anti-BG crowd. But just because it is helpful for your argument doesn't mean it is based in any sort of reality.
One-Eyed Wheeler
Baylorkid said:

One-Eyed Wheeler said:

ctxbear said:

Ghostrider said:

She did graduate!
Yeah you're right, I missed that, or forgot about it!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.