Hailey Van Lith commits to LSU per ESPN.

6,370 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by BUGWBBear
DFW Bill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ESPN announced at 12:10 today that Hailey Van Lith had committed to LSU.
She has two years of eligibility remaining and with her undergraduate degree
being completed will begin working on a masters degree.
BUBBFAN
Big surprise.
joseywales
We as a Baylor nation don't give a damn..stop
GrizBear
joseywales said:

Josey wails about Kim Mulkey.
Malbec
joseywales said:

I think this would be a big story for WBB even if she had chosen Eastern Washington.
geewago
She should fill in well for Alexis Morris. If the Morrow girl who is visiting today signs up they will have one heck of a roster next year. It's hard to win 2 in a row but with what's left, the recruiting class coming in and the portal additions they should be one of the favorites for sure. By the way even if you're a Kim hater it still might interest some of you to watch her recent speech and question/answer session that she just did with the Rotary Club. It's on You Tube, very interesting.
kbrun
She likes to spend other's money. Wonder if her name will be in that court?
slimecap

Caption this photo
Bone Squad
slimecap said:

Caption this photo
"Wait, what? You want me to claw her face!?"
SirBearALot
" But you told me we would win the Natty if I came here, see you later dude !! "
EvilTroyAndAbed
geewago said:

She should fill in well for Alexis Morris. If the Morrow girl who is visiting today signs up they will have one heck of a roster next year. It's hard to win 2 in a row but with what's left, the recruiting class coming in and the portal additions they should be one of the favorites for sure. By the way even if you're a Kim hater it still might interest some of you to watch her recent speech and question/answer session that she just did with the Rotary Club. It's on You Tube, very interesting.

Pass
One-Eyed Wheeler
https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/its-official-van-lith-is-headed-to-baton-rouge.417923/

Hawkeye fans crack me up. Some actually thought they had a chance landing HVL! They just don't get it. They had their chance at a national title and I highly doubt they will ever get close again in my lifetime.
Bear3
Thanks but no.
blueeyedbear
One-Eyed Wheeler said:

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/its-official-van-lith-is-headed-to-baton-rouge.417923/

Hawkeye fans crack me up. Some actually thought they had a chance landing HVL! They just don't get it. They had their chance at a national title and I highly doubt they will ever get close again in my lifetime.
I guess they missed the "No Contact" statement in HVL's transfer announcement.
Jacques Strap
LSU posted that HVL signed for $518,000 in a message touting the NIL deals female athletes at LSU are getting
woodsa75
Mulkey's friends strike again attacking Bickle for something that did not involve Kim.
woodsa75
Kiss Kim's butt on an LSU board why keep dividing Baylor with feeds like this.
bawitdaball
To be fair, I said this multiple times that Mulkey was at Baylor and got blasted for it. During her tenure, she had some amazing players and some amazing teams, But Brown, Cox, even Sims were not fully prepared for the next level because of the style of play she preferred on the court. I do think Mulkey has transitioned and adapted a bit, but only Griner and, for a bit of time, Young, made a lasting impact at the next level. There was a reason for that. The two games are drastically different. I still think that is what continues to put UCONN at the top of the recruiting rankings every year, and I don't see that changing any time soon. Geno knows how to cultivate a winning program at college while still allowing for a seamless transition to the next level. Maybe Smith and Queen will right the ship and show that CNC can assist with that transition.

The post by Morris was't meant to be a call out to Mulkey, but it will be perceived by that. And if she doesn't make the roster, which I highly doubt she will given the immense talent on that team, it won't age well for anyone involved.
blackie
bawitdaball said:

To be fair, I said this multiple times that Mulkey was at Baylor and got blasted for it. During her tenure, she had some amazing players and some amazing teams, But Brown, Cox, even Sims were not fully prepared for the next level because of the style of play she preferred on the court. I do think Mulkey has transitioned and adapted a bit, but only Griner and, for a bit of time, Young, made a lasting impact at the next level. There was a reason for that. The two games are drastically different. I still think that is what continues to put UCONN at the top of the recruiting rankings every year, and I don't see that changing any time soon. Geno knows how to cultivate a winning program at college while still allowing for a seamless transition to the next level. Maybe Smith and Queen will right the ship and show that CNC can assist with that transition.

The post by Morris was't meant to be a call out to Mulkey, but it will be perceived by that. And if she doesn't make the roster, which I highly doubt she will given the immense talent on that team, it won't age well for anyone involved.
I think you are spot on concerning the style of play we had not transitioning well to the pro level. I think some questioned as to whether or not that kept us also from getting to more FFs, if not more championships when we got stopped in E8s or SSs to teams of seemingly lesser talent, but who used the more "modern" style of play. I think most blamed it on not being tested enough in the B12. Who knows. I know some here that know a lot more about recruiting than I, opined that we lost out on some players because of the style we played. HVL passed on us the first time. Wonder if what you talk about had something to do with that?

Concerning UConn and the any time soon comment, I think it depends on how long Geno continues to coach. He's 69 and has been having more absences due to health the last few years. I guess when he retires, we'll see another example of whether a school can pull in the elite athletes once the legend coach moves on. If they don't take at least a temporary drop-off, they will be the first school that hasn't. Will be interesting to see who replaces him when the time comes. Rumor has it that his assistant will retire when he does. An established coach would take a real risk of short-circuiting there career and going with an "up and comer" often times doesn't work out either. Perhaps Bird or Lobo decide to take it on. But that often does not work out either.
BearFan33
Jacques Strap said:

LSU posted that HVL signed for $518,000 in a message touting the NIL deals female athletes at LSU are getting
If that is true top lady basketball players will stay in college as long as possible. They would take a pay cut in the WNBA.
BearTiger
You are correct. Morris later clarified, it had nothing to do with Mulkey or any college. It was the in-between "gap" between college and WNBA she was talking about. Some of the former WNBA players agreed with this and set up the first ever 2-day camp to inform the players what to expect in the WNBA and practice/play like the WNBA, etc. It appears this will be an annual camp for those who will be drafted, more players will be added to this camp next year.
IowaBear
She was getting just as much at Louisville. Not sure how accurate but supposedly Johnson and Reese are both over 1.5 million
blueeyedbear
IowaBear said:

She was getting just as much at Louisville. Not sure how accurate but supposedly Johnson and Reese are both over 1.5 million
Well over $$$$$ !!!
BearFan33
IowaBear said:

Who is putting up this money and where were they in the decades before NIL?
Dr. J
BearFan33 said:

IowaBear said:

Doing things like this.....mainly in the men's game and football.

BearFan33
Dr. J said:

BearFan33 said:

IowaBear said:

Doing things like this.....mainly in the men's game and football.

Of course stuff like that has been going on in football and men's basketball for a long, long time before NIL. Now its just out in the open as NIL. But I don't think there was any significant $$$$ in women's basketball pre NIL. Now it seems the big money donors are coming out of the woodwork to support women's basketball? I'm happy for the athletes but color me surprised.
IowaBear
I think Reese and Johnson have both triple their worth at LSU via NIL deals. Reese has like 18 I believe NIL deals now. Both have stated the Natty has significantly increased their NIL value
Jorkel
blackie said:

bawitdaball said:

I think you are spot on concerning the style of play we had not transitioning well to the pro level. I think some questioned as to whether or not that kept us also from getting to more FFs, if not more championships when we got stopped in E8s or SSs to teams of seemingly lesser talent, but who used the more "modern" style of play. I think most blamed it on not being tested enough in the B12. Who knows. I know some here that know a lot more about recruiting than I, opined that we lost out on some players because of the style we played. HVL passed on us the first time. Wonder if what you talk about had something to do with that?

Concerning UConn and the any time soon comment, I think it depends on how long Geno continues to coach. He's 69 and has been having more absences due to health the last few years. I guess when he retires, we'll see another example of whether a school can pull in the elite athletes once the legend coach moves on. If they don't take at least a temporary drop-off, they will be the first school that hasn't. Will be interesting to see who replaces him when the time comes. Rumor has it that his assistant will retire when he does. An established coach would take a real risk of short-circuiting there career and going with an "up and comer" often times doesn't work out either. Perhaps Bird or Lobo decide to take it on. But that often does not work out either.

Diana Taurasi will come back and coach
BearTiger
Reese and Flaujae NIL's increased way more than than that. Reese has over 4 million followers now. When she posted she signed her 20th NIL with Mercedes Benz, with a brand new car birthday gift, she gained additional 42,000 new followers within 2 hours. It is companies that are putting up the NIL's, not LSU, not the boosters. NIL companies are also statewide, regional and nationwide. Reese and Flaujae have international followers from Europe, Asia, etc. It was reported that Flaujae has total $8 million combo from college NIL's and her music. It is crazy how quickly it has exploded.
drahthaar
Jorkel said:

blackie said:

bawitdaball said:

That outta work out well.
BearFan33
BearTiger said:

Reese and Flaujae NIL's increased way more than than that. Reese has over 4 million followers now. When she posted she signed her 20th NIL with Mercedes Benz, with a brand new car birthday gift, she gained additional 42,000 new followers within 2 hours. It is companies that are putting up the NIL's, not LSU, not the boosters. NIL companies are also statewide, regional and nationwide. Reese and Flaujae have international followers from Europe, Asia, etc. It was reported that Flaujae has total $8 million combo from college NIL's and her music. It is crazy how quickly it has exploded.
That makes more sense to me. Companies jumping into the NIL scene. With social media it's a different way to advertise.
canoso
geewago said:

Didn't have to listen more than the first four minutes. She made her main point, and resoundingly.
Jorkel
drahthaar said:

Jorkel said:

blackie said:

bawitdaball said:

That outta work out well.

I don't know if she wants to coach or not but she has all the Xs and Os knowledge and has done it all as one of the greatest women players to do it. I don't know if she could run a program top to bottom but I bet she could nail the recruiting part.
Jorkel
BearFan33 said:

BearTiger said:

That makes more sense to me. Companies jumping into the NIL scene. With social media it's a different way to advertise.

And that's how NIL should be. Companies utilizing and compensating people with a platform to promote their business.
Jacques Strap
BearFan33 said:

Jacques Strap said:

If that is true top lady basketball players will stay in college as long as possible. They would take a pay cut in the WNBA.
Agree. That was my thought too. I asked on another thread what WNBA players make and it was less than what LSU players will make next year.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.