Lauren Cox update

3,482 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by bawitdaball
slimecap
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Includes 4 former Baylor players

Front court
Caitlin Bickle & Lauren Cox
Back court
Dijonai Carrington & Alexis Morris
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE
April 30, 2023

"1st day of WNBA training camp
Lauren Cox hasn't made it to Connecticut Sun yet
but put up 17p, 4r, 3a, 2s, 2b in 22 minutes for Valencia Basket Club.
She led her team w +41 and 26 valuation in a 93-49 win
to punch their ticket to the Spanish League finals."

- Dennis Cox twitter
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE
May 2, 2023

Congratulations Lauren !!
Sic 'em !!
BUVA
Did Lauren and Alexis play together one season?
BluesBear
We've had some good ones at Baylor. What a hard worker !
Polarbear
Yes, 2018 season. Lauren was a Soph, Alexis a Frosh.
BearTiger
Is it just me, or is anyone else curious why Alexis Morris is included on this list as "former Baylor player?" First, she was kicked off the team and the university as a freshman and never welcomed back. So I would think that disqualifies her. Second, she went to LSU her last 2 years, an LSU alum/national champ. She is LSU everything, not Baylor.
slimecap
BearTiger said:

Is it just me, or is anyone else curious why Alexis Morris is included on this list as "former Baylor player?"

Alexis Morris

2018 Big 12 All-Freshman Team
2018 Big 12 All-Championship Team
2018 Big 12 Freshman of the Week (Nov. 27)

INTANGIBLES...
Distributed 116 assists in her debut season, which ties Baylor's freshman class record for assists set by Ebony Jackson in 2002-03... Named to the 2015 USA Basketball Women's U16 National Team... Averaged 13.6 points, 4.4 rebounds and 3.2 assists per game in five starts at guard... Helped USA Basketball compile a 4-1 record to secure the bronze medal at the 2015 FIBA Americas U16 Championship.

2017-18 [FRESHMAN]...
Appeared in 34 of 35 games for the Lady Bears with eight starts... Averaged 9.4 points, 3.4 assists and 2.9 rebounds... Led Baylor with a three-point field goal percentage of .462 (30-65)... Registered 16 double-digit scoring performances... Led Big 12 freshmen with a .836 free throw percentage, .462 three-point field goal percentage and in assists (3.4), ranked fifth in scoring (9.4), seventh in steals (0.9), eighth in field goal percentage (.441) and 11th in rebounding (2.9)... Scored in double figures in her first career game with 12 points vs. Lamar... Netted 11 points in her first career start at No. 8/7 UCLA... Contributed 17 points, four assists and three rebounds in 22 minutes vs. Missouri State... Netted 11 points vs. Georgia Tech... Scored 15 points vs. No. 20/22 Kentucky... Tallied 15 points, five rebounds and three assists vs. North Dakota... Scored 13 points in her first career Big 12 game at Kansas State... Poured in 13 points and distributed eight assists vs. Texas Tech... Netted 10 points vs. Iowa State... Scored 12 points vs. Kansas State... Notched 13 points and four assists at No. 21/22 Oklahoma State... Scored 18 points on 7-of-9 shooting with six assists and six rebounds in the Big 12 Championship semifinal... Played all 40 minutes in the Big 12 Championship final vs. No. 7/7 Texas, recording 19 points... Tallied 12 points, five rebounds and five assists vs. Grambling in the NCAA Tournament First Round... Notched 17 points, six rebounds and five assists vs. Michigan in the NCAA Tournament Second Round... Contributed 114 points, seven assists and five rebounds vs. No. 13/12 Oregon State in the NCAA Sweet 16.

- Source: Baylor WBB website, 3 May 2023
BearTiger
This is your answer? She was kicked off the team and never welcomed back to Baylor. Connecticut knows she is not Baylor, she is LSU.
baylorbear33
BearTiger said:

This is your answer? She was kicked off the team and never welcomed back to Baylor. Connecticut knows she is not Baylor, she is LSU.
Slimecap gave you her stats as a nice way of answering your question. She is the very definition of 'former Baylor player'. She spent one successful year on the roster, logged stats, used a year of eligibility, etc. She was actually on campus through the Fall of 2018, so she actually spent 1 1/2 years at Baylor. A dismissal from the team does not erase her from the records. She wore that uniform just like everyone else on the 2017-2018 squad. In fact, she was the one that stepped up as a Freshman when Kristy Wallace went down with the knee injury at the end of that season. It would be no different than calling Jordyn Oliver a former Baylor player. She played for Baylor for a couple of years and chose to transfer. She was still on the roster and in the record books for those two years.
Bone Squad
Because she is a former Baylor player. She is not a Baylor alumna, and if it described her as one, there would be a valid criticism.

Interestingly enough, the blurb mentions her breaking the record of another former Baylor player, Ebony Jackson, who was also dismissed from the team.
Eball
She is a former Baylor player
BearTiger
Ok then...Question was asked by our in-laws' LSU teenage gals, they thought CONN should have said Morris was LSU player, not Baylor. They wanted y'alls responses, not mine. Thanks.
Bone Squad
I think the mention of 4 Baylor players was Slimecap editorializing because of its pertinence on a Baylor forum. I doubt anything publicly posted by the Connecticut Sun made a point of noting that connection.

I would also add that calling Morris a former LSU player would ALSO be valid. She can also be referred to as a former Rutgers and A&M player.
Eball
BearTiger said:

Ok then...Question was asked by our in-laws' LSU teenage gals, they thought CONN should have said Morris was LSU player, not Baylor. They wanted y'alls responses, not mine. Thanks.
It was about former BU players not former LSU players. The fact that there was four on the roster one of whom happens to be Morris. Are there four former LSU players on the roster?
slimecap

ROSTER UPDATE
May 3, 2023

Connecticut Sun has waived
Mikiah Herbert Harrigan, Khaalia Hillsman & Kiara Smith

slimecap
slimecap

ROSTER UPDATE
May 10, 2023

Connecticut Sun has waived
Diamond Battles, Alexis Morris & Ashten Prechtel

Bear3
So I assume Caitlin Bickle is still on the team !
slimecap
Bear3 said:

So I assume Caitlin Bickle is still on the team !
Still on the Training Camp Roster
Sic 'em Cait !!
Bear3
Yes!!! Cait has survived 2 cuts with some drafted players getting cut! Let's go Cait!!!!! I would love to see 3 bears (Cait, Dijonai and Lauren) on the final roster .
bawitdaball
I believe their roster is at 13. Has to be at 12 by the start of the season.
WacoKelly83
Today's boxscore shows 16 players. LC didn't play. Maybe still traveling?

Game summary of the New York Liberty vs. Connecticut Sun WNBA game, final score 57-63, from May 10, 2023 on ESPN. https://www.espn.com/wnba/game/_/gameId/401537460
via @ESPN App http://espn.com/app
bawitdaball
WacoKelly83 said:

Today's boxscore shows 16 players. LC didn't play. Maybe still traveling?

Game summary of the New York Liberty vs. Connecticut Sun WNBA game, final score 57-63, from May 10, 2023 on ESPN. https://www.espn.com/wnba/game/_/gameId/401537460
via @ESPN App http://espn.com/app

Yes. Morris was still on the team. So that is prior to the second round of cuts.
bawitdaball
CON exercised Carrington's fourth year option today. I think she's guaranteed to make just under $75k for the season.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.