Breaking news: Anessah Morrow commited to LSU. They just snagged #1 and #2 players

7,644 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by ImwithBU
BearTiger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
in the transfer portal. Neither Staley of South Carolina nor Uconn were able to get #1 Van Lith or #2 Morrow. The SEC is going to be the pre-WNBA, pre-NBA, and pre-NFL, especially when they pick up Texas and Oklahoma. It's going to be a super conference. SEC loaded with $$$$$$.
ScottS
If Mulkey was still at BU wound these 2 players be Lady Bears?
baylor1984
For a washed-up coach who can't recruit, who all the AAU coaches hate and runs an offense that nobody wants to play in she seems to be doing okay.
IowaBear
Manufactured hate by posters with a grudge towards the former BU coach
BBWCBear
ScottS said:

I'm not so sure. She was successful here, but still missed out on many that you would think would want to be here. NIL, SEC (not being a church school, Baptist to boot), etc.
baylor1984
IowaBear said:

2 years later with 1 National Championship, the top-rated recruiting class for 23 and what I assume will be the top portal class for 23 I can't do anything but laugh. We truly have some clowns on this board, and I enjoy the hell out of them.
BBWCBear
IowaBear said:

Yep, it's going to be a pill to swallow going forward as she distance her program in Championships as BU's candle grows dim and burns out.
BearTiger
Yes, she would have. NIL just started in big way 2 years ago. When Mulkey arrived at LSU 2 years ago, she said she had to adjust quickly to the transfer portal and the NIL. She was brilliant and future-looking when she assigned one of her assistant coaches to switch over to manage NIL/Player Development, arranges all the media/tv/exposure for the players to maximize on NIL's. Mulkey created a blueprint for WBB. She would have done the same at Baylor. She is so competitive, no way she would have allowed Baylor to be left behind or be second fiddle to other teams.
blackie
ScottS said:

Most likely not. HVL passed on us the first time. We don't have the NIL setup that the large state schools can muster and like it or not, some recruits are just not interested in a private, religious-oriented school. Some are, but many are not.
blackie
BBWCBear said:

IowaBear said:

Yep, it's going to be a pill to swallow going forward as she distance her program in Championships as BU's candle grows dim and burns out.
You keep pushing this, but for most people's view we are now headed in the opposite direction from a dimming candle. The candle dimmed for a bit and is now brightening. Every school that has ever lost an elite coach has taken a dip when that coach left or retired. Can you name one (WBB) that did not take a hit? Granted, there have not been many because there haven't been a lot of what you would call elite coaches in WBB, but I can't think of one. Tennessee took a hit when Pat had to give it up. ND did when Muffet retired. Duke did when Goestenkors left. UT did with Jody. NC with Hatchell. It is likely UConn and Stanford are probably next on the list not too far down the road. Even more so now with the portal and the parity that was already taking hold. It has been on the men's side as well with NC, Duke, and Kentucky. I don't think their fans threw in the towel, but you seem quick to do so.

If next year's team does not do well, you may have a point. But right now your viewpoint is not the way the program seems to be headed.....at this time and from the crappy situation we were left in after the departure. There is no "pill" to swallow at this point. If there was one it was swallowed, it was done a couple of years ago. The future is all that matters at this point and what happens at LSU or S. Carolina or anywhere else is not going to diminish the ability for Baylor to get back on its feet just like has occurred at other schools that lost the elite coach.
blackie
BearTiger said:

in the transfer portal. Dawn Staley of South Carolina wasn't able to get #1 Van Lith or #2 Morrow. The SEC is going to be the pre-WNBA, pre-NBA, and pre-NFL, especially when they pick up Texas and Oklahoma. $$$$$$
I don't think OU will add much. Most likely will just get swallowed. Jury still out on UT.
Bear3
Both likely would not here be unless we paid them a lot of NIL money. I read that LSU is top school in nation for NIL money In women's sports.
Bear3
You think next year's team is going to burn out?!?! If you do, you
are definitely in the minority ! ESPN just rated this team pre- season #13.
BearTiger
With the transfers coming in, this team looks complete from top to bottom. Don't know this early if Baylor is the #13 best team in the land. But this new team has potential to be speical. There's going to be a lot of different personalities, talent, and moving parts, so Coach N will earn her pay by bringing everyone together with one unifying goal. Winning the conference next season is within reach. I think Coach N will pull a rabbit out of the hat and surprise everyone.
BUatbirth
Bottom line…Money talks. Look at the reported payouts to just 3 of the LSU players…approaching like 3 million?
KM is a good coach. But the reality is that many would play for Podunk Univ if they offered that level of $$$.
BU can't , and never will put up those numbers. Not many schools can. IMO…the NCAA needs to put some kind of cap on NIL money per athlete. Companies can pay what they want.
whitetrash
Bear3 said:

You think next year's team is going to burn out?!?! If you do, you
are definitely in the minority ! ESPN just rated this team pre- season #13.
To put that in perspective, from the end of the 2010 season until the end of the 2021 season, BU spent a total of 3 weeks not ranked in the AP Top 10 (1 week at #12 in December 2013, 1 week at #13 in November 2014, 1 week at #11 in December 2014).

So a #13 ranking doesn't exactly make me squeal with delight like Dylan Mulvaney
Bone Squad
blackie said:

ScottS said:

Most likely not. HVL passed on us the first time. We don't have the NIL setup that the large state schools can muster and like it or not, some recruits are just not interested in a private, religious-oriented school. Some are, but many are not.
I have no opinion on Morrow, but I wouldn't be so quick to say HVL would not have come back. She was very close to playing for Mulkey the first time around, and now she finally is.....put the coach back in Waco, and I suspect that would have been a strong motivator. Also, she has spoken openly about her faith, so if anything, that would be more of a positive point for her.

As for NIL, I agree that Baylor has not shown itself to be as committed to playing the game as many other schools are. On the other hand, there are a handful of players that have a knack for selling themselves as a "brand" so that that really and truly are making money from their own NIL, as opposed to thinly veiled pay-for-play. I think HVL is actually among those, even if Louisville or LSU did more to enhance what she was able to do on her own.
Bone Squad
Bear3 said:

Both likely would not here be unless we paid them a lot of NIL money. I read that LSU is top school in nation for NIL money In women's sports.
I think you have to recognize a pretty big caveat to that. Livvy Dunne is reported as having $3.5 million alone in NIL deals. I suspect that if not a single other female athlete at LSU got a penny, LSU would probably still lead the nation on the strength of Dunne alone (and if she had gone to Ohio State, Florida, or Bowling Green......that school would be the leader). And in her case, she's the top 1% of the top 1% unicorn social media influencer - I doubt anything close to the majority of her money can be fairly traced back to LSU boosters.
geewago
JUMPING JAMBALAYA !! The rich get richer and the poor have dogs.
BBWCBear
blackie said:

BBWCBear said:

IowaBear said:

You keep pushing this, but for most people's view we are now headed in the opposite direction from a dimming candle. The candle dimmed for a bit and is now brightening. Every school that has ever lost an elite coach has taken a dip when that coach left or retired. Can you name one (WBB) that did not take a hit? Granted, there have not been many because there haven't been a lot of what you would call elite coaches in WBB, but I can't think of one. Tennessee took a hit when Pat had to give it up. ND did when Muffet retired. Duke did when Goestenkors left. UT did with Jody. NC with Hatchell. It is likely UConn and Stanford are probably next on the list not too far down the road. Even more so now with the portal and the parity that was already taking hold. It has been on the men's side as well with NC, Duke, and Kentucky. I don't think their fans threw in the towel, but you seem quick to do so.

If next year's team does not do well, you may have a point. But right now your viewpoint is not the way the program seems to be headed.....at this time and from the crappy situation we were left in after the departure. There is no "pill" to swallow at this point. If there was one it was swallowed, it was done a couple of years ago. The future is all that matters at this point and what happens at LSU or S. Carolina or anywhere else is not going to diminish the ability for Baylor to get back on its feet just like has occurred at other schools that lost the elite coach.

Blackie, Bear3 and ScottS… today's world IS different with the Portal. IT is the one variable that is truly under test right now and near future. It may prove to be the one thing that can make quick changes possible and make the game transcendental (fitting for a Baptist institution) for more than just Blue Bloods.

With that being said, History, as mentioned by you and many, hasn't been nice to schools who lost elite coaches. TN/Summit hasn't really been relevant for ten years… Hello, Baylor! With the aforementioned history, NIL, church/private (BAPTIST) school AND frankly I'm not sold on BU's/Collen's game being the answer. I know it's not honestly fair to compare staff/game with the previous staff, but darn it I ain't seeing DEFENSE and God awful, sloppy passing skills. Division III athletes can be taught those and perform and still lose due to being outmanned. We just Did. Not. Perform. or. Execute. That's coaching. So… until I see post season hardware of some kind I'll stand by my thoughts.
historian
winning a natty can do that, especially if the HC is a Hall of Famer and has a history of winning natty's in 2 different programs
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
BaylorBears_254
100% if Mulkey were still coaching here we would've easily snagged Reese, HVL, and Morrow.

The NIL deals that they get aren't just coming from the school, yall have to learn how NIL deals work. That money comes from everywhere.
BearTiger
Correct 254, a lot of people think LSU and boosters are paying the players. They are being paid by companies for their image and likeness, eg, Nike, Adidas, Puma, etc, some are local, but most are statewide, regional, national, and some are international. The more presence they have on social media, the more $$ they make. At LSU, Dunn has 8 milion followers, Reese has 4 million, Flaujae has 2 milllion, Van Lith has 1.5 million. Guess how many followers Morrow had, less than 5,000 because no one knew who she was. Since her commitment was very public nationwide for weeks, she is about to explode and become rich through increased social media. They also get paid by social media themselves.
Yes agree, Mulkey would have gotten both Van Lith and Morrow and NIL's would have poured in. She is one of the best recruiters, she did it at Baylor for 21 years, and and continuing her recruiting powess now. It is not Baylor the school, it is not the boosters, it is image/likeness of the player and their marketability. Social media is free advertisement for the companies who sign them. When Reese signed with Mercedes Benz this week, after she posted getting the car, she gained additional 42,000 new followers within 2 hours. Mulkey would have hired and assigned an assistant coach at Baylor to handle NIL's and help them with their marketability just like she did at LSU. That assistant coach who manages NIL's and marketing players came with Mulkey from Baylor.
ABC BEAR
.....if only we had built the new arena on campus.
Task Force 2015
LSU will be enormously talented.The fact that there is only one ball in play at a time may prove extremely challenging particularly in this era of justifying huge NIL dollars.However,I suspect most school would like to face this issue.
pluce
LSU is spending huge money to buy players and calling it NIL. Its really pay for play. Thats the disadvantage Baylor has. Thats why Mulkey would not get HVL or Morrow or Reese more than likely if she were still at Baylor.
Bexar Pitts
What's the old adage..."To whom much is given.much is expected." With all the strong personalities and egos now involved at LSU WBB, and yes..HUGE dollars, I can see problems arising that COULD be very difficult to get a handle on..Again, I believe that the key is MUCH is expected..These are youngsters that are now wealthy beyond their dreams...We'll see how it turns out...Should be interesting to say the least..
BearTiger
Pluce, you've got it all wrong. There is no conspiracy or behind the back money dealings. If LSU, Baylor or any school paid any money "paid for play", that's against NCAA rules and school would be punished and fined. NIL's don't have anything to do with the school, they are separate companies that are paying athletes directly for their name/image and advertise them for their products, eg, Nike, Adidas, Puma, national brands. Only time school is involved is if the NIL may violate current agreement with the school--like Van Lith had to clear her contract with Adidas through LSU's compliance dept so that it didn't violate contract with LSU's contract with Nike. But since NIL's are fairly new, we will see how it plays out. The states regulate NILs, not NCAA.
Jorkel
BearTiger said:

Pluce, you've got it all wrong. There is no conspiracy or behind the back money dealings. If LSU, Baylor or any school paid any money through the athlete's NIL (directly or indirectly), that would be against NCAA rules and would be punished and fined. If the school "paid for play", again it's against NCAA rules and school would be punished and fined. NIL's don't have anything to do with the school, they are separate companies that are paying athletes for their name/image and advertise them for their products, eg, Nike, Adidas, Puma, national brands. Only time school is involved is the NIL may violate current agreement with the school--like Van Lith had to clear her contract with Adidas through LSU's compliance dept so that it didn't violate contract with LSU's contract with Nike. But since NIL's are fairly new, NCAA is monitoring this closely.

A lot of people haven't grasped how having 1+ million subscribers on social media platforms is driving the big NIL money deals. Especially for women who dominate the Instagram space. Hell some of the females athletes could start an onlyfans without even selling a single nude and make $100k a month because of the amount of eyes on them. Their reach is far and they should bank from it.
BaylorBears_254
pluce said:

LSU is spending huge money to buy players and calling it NIL. Its really pay for play. Thats the disadvantage Baylor has. Thats why Mulkey would not get HVL or Morrow or Reese more than likely if she were still at Baylor.

You people talk out your ass on this site. NIL ISNT COMING FROM JUST SCHOOL BOOSTERS.

Keyontae George had a HUGE NIL deal that wasn't from Baylor at all.

BearTiger just went into depth and explained this.

Those girls want to play for Mulkey because shes a great coach, they can be themselves, and they know that the deals will come flying in because the spotlight is on that team.

This is why i LAUGHED when the folks on the premium side said that the majority of the 19mill people watched the WBB for Clark LOL.
BUatbirth
School boosters can give whatever that want to a athlete as long as the booster
gets something in return….a selfie with the athlete, a signed photo…etc.
Is it the university giving $$$?…no. But come on, what does it take? "Hey booster XYZ,
we would love to have player X..yadda yadda. That's legal…and has been done even when it wasn't.
There are a handful of schools that have the huge numbers of alumni (UT, A&M, LSU…) that
can generate large offers. BU just isn't in that pool of universities.
blackie
BaylorBears_254 said:

100% if Mulkey were still coaching here we would've easily snagged Reese, HVL, and Morrow.

The NIL deals that they get aren't just coming from the school, yall have to learn how NIL deals work. That money comes from everywhere.
I don't agree. Our recruiting of note after the 2019 class was primarily three players.....J. Oliver, Gusters, Sarah Andrews, and a grad transfer de year. And those transfers were not considered anywhere near the level of those you mentioned before they got here. After the blockbuster 2019 class we simply were not bringing in the name prospects in the same class as those you listed above.

I think the difference between our recruiting after 2019 and what KM has done with recruiting at LSU is because the KM at LSU is not the same KM at Baylor in her last few years. The move rejuvenated her. That is as plain as day. I don't know if she was tired, bored, or whatever it was, but something was not the way it had been in most of the years she was here. And even during that time, outside of Sims and Griner we really were not the consistent magnet for the level of recruit that she has been getting at LSU. We would get one or maybe even two every so often, but not handfuls in multiple years as has been the case thus far. The list of those of the level you are talking about above that passed on us is too long to go into. I just don't believe our recruiting history justifies a statement that we would 100% have easily snagged those you mention if Mulkey was here. Baylor's success was built on the ability of the coaching staff to develop really good and great players into elite level players without them being considered elite to start with. LSU has provided a more visible platform and a more rejuvenated KM that I don't think existed the last few years she was here. The conference might play into this as well. Our conference probably appears "soft" to most people. It was Baylor and everyone else. I don't like it, but "SEC" does carry weight, including recruiting appeal.

Just my opinion....which is no more right or wrong than anyone else's. We form opinions on what we see. What I see is a different KM than the one here before any of this came up. None of the people (transfers) Kim was bringing into Baylor the year she left were anywhere near the level she brought in her first year at LSU, and certainly not now.

You are correct about NIL, about the source of the money. But the line between corporations or individuals directing players toward a particular school and that school not being involved in some manner is getting really blurred. And for the other poster that indicated how the NCAA would punish and fine schools.....that is not going to happen. The horses have already left the NCAA barn on NIL. The NCAA is powerless to get any of this under control.

baylorbear33
The change you saw in CKM is in direct correlation to the hiring of Rhoades in 2016 and Livingstone in 2017. Once they both settled in and started meddling in women's basketball, the conflict began and started her slow walk out the door.
pluce
Actually, Mulkey has recently stated that the LSU AD is her kind of AD. He lets you do your thing. He does not think he is bigger than the Athletic department. That is the statement of a narcissist who believes everything revolves around her. So when she does not get her way with regard to her demands, she thinks Mack Rhodes believes he is bigger than the Athletic Department. Well, he is the AD and so he is over the athletic department and has other sports to think about as well. Baylor womens basketball is very well resourced and Mulkey and her assistants were supremely paid despite her womens basketball being 6 million in the whole. I guess Ian was a softer touch but Mack had to draw the line somewhere.
Jorkel
BUatbirth said:

School boosters can give whatever that want to a athlete as long as the booster
gets something in return….a selfie with the athlete, a signed photo…etc.
Is it the university giving $$$?…no. But come on, what does it take? "Hey booster XYZ,
we would love to have player X..yadda yadda. That's legal…and has been done even when it wasn't.
There are a handful of schools that have the huge numbers of alumni (UT, A&M, LSU…) that
can generate large offers. BU just isn't in that pool of universities.

From what I've read on this forum….every single school has better NIL than we do and that we can't buy anyone.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.