Story Poster
Photo by Jack Mackenzie - SicEm365
Baylor Women's Basketball

Gameday Thread: No. 13 Baylor vs No. 4 Kansas State

January 22, 2024

WACO, Texas – The No. 13 Baylor women’s basketball team returns to action at Foster Pavilion when it hosts No. 4 Kansas State on Monday.

Monday’s top-15 matchup with Kansas State is set to air nationally on FS1 and fans can tune into ESPN Central Texas (1660 AM/92.3 FM) for a live radio broadcast. Live in-game updates will also be provided via Twitter and live stats.

STARTING FIVE

Baylor is a perfect 10-0 at home this season with three wins in the brand-new Foster Pavilion after picking up wins over then-No. 23 TCU (Jan. 3), Houston (Jan. 6) and UCF (Jan. 20).

Baylor’s two opponents - UCF and Kansas State - in the three-day stretch will be its only meetings against the two programs during the regular season this year.

Sarah Andrews has 209 career 3-pointers and needs 50 more to break Odyssey Sim’s record of 258. The senior guard has hit at least two from range in 14 of 17 games this year.

Baylor is one of four teams in the country, joining Kansas, Mississippi State and Louisville, with five 1,000-point scorers on its roster. Yaya Felder is the latest member of the 1,000-point club after recording the final point in BU’s 87-58 win over Houston on Jan. 6.

Monday’s nationally televised game on FS1 marks the fourth of the season for the Bears and first of three-straight contests set to be aired on the big screen. Baylor’s game at Oklahoma State (Jan. 28) and home contest against Texas (Feb. 1) will be broadcast on the ESPN family of networks.

SCOUTING THE SERIES WITH KANSAS STATE

Baylor leads the all-time series against the Wildcats, 42-10, and the Bears are 19-1 at home. The Bears’ only loss to Kansas State at home was a 65-53 loss on Feb. 8, 2003. The Bears have split the two-game series with the Wildcats the last two seasons but had won 36-straight games prior to the 2021-22 season.

Discussion from...

Gameday Thread: No. 13 Baylor vs No. 4 Kansas State

21,810 Views | 193 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by tmcats
blackie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SirBearALot said:

What happened to Fontleroy and her 3 ball form the corner, did we even get her the ball over there ?
Yeah, we did and she missed badly.
RSBear
Junior high caliber for sure.
BearFan33
Got to protect home court

It's like the game plan ran out at halftime

Of course their shift to the zone did us in. We remain a sloppy passing team that can't hit 3s
Baylorkid
What the hell was that by Jada? How do we only score 16 points in the second half?
BUatbirth
Yep…no doubt. We had several low IQ plays
BBWCBear
Time to tune out until end of regular season, doubt I'll miss much. Wait to see where they are and if they can squeak into the Tournament.
blackie
IowaBear said:

Wasn't all on her. But boy that was a low IQ play
As Thulin said, perhaps was looking for a foul to get 3 shots. Bad decision didn't have position to get the foul on the shot. Should have added, she was crying during the school song.
blackie
BBWCBear said:

Time to tune out until end of regular season, doubt I'll miss much. Wait to see where they are and if they can squeak into the Tournament.
So you are promising not to post again? Just asking for a friend.
FFA0329
I love our team and coach, but that second half was brutal. KSU is 18-1 for a reason, I know Lee is not out there, But still…… something is not clicking, not sure what. Too many of our best players did not do much tonight…….16 points in second half…..
KajunKarlsdad
BUatbirth said:

Yep…no doubt. We had several low IQ plays

That is also a common theme with the men's team
blackie
FFA0329 said:

I love our team and coach, but that second half was brutal. KSU is 18-1 for a reason, I know Lee is not out there, But still…… something is not clicking, not sure what. Too many of our best players did not do much tonight…….16 points in second half…..
Not a basketball guru, but it seems we just may be passing TOO much and not going to the rim? passing up too many shots?
CHP Bear
Anyone got the rebound stat?
BearFan33
blackie said:

FFA0329 said:

Not a basketball guru, but it seems we just may be passing TOO much and not going to the rim? passing up too many shots?

We definitely overpass sometimes and pass up good shots for bad ones
rileyroo
Coaching. Did we not think that they would switch to zone (especially without Lee)? I'm more disappointed in this loss than any other. We literally threw the ball way, shot wild 3 pointers, and dribbled our way out of the game. Nikki has far too much talent on this team to be losing these games. And, before people defend Nikki and say KSU was #4, I strongly disagree. They were without their all-American player.
BearFan33
Defense in general is better than last year but we suffer from prolonged stretches of poor execution on offense.
blackie
CHP Bear said:

Anyone got the rebound stat?
ESPN says we had 33. They had 29.

8 missed free throws in a 3 point game. And many of those when we had a double digit lead. Get those and we would have had almost a 20-point lead. We are just finding different things to falter at each game to come up short.
bawitdaball
blackie said:

IowaBear said:

Wasn't all on her. But boy that was a low IQ play
As Thulin said, perhaps was looking for a foul to get 3 shots. Bad decision didn't have position to get the foul on the shot. Should have added, she was crying during the school song.

Yes. The thought is the were fouling immediately. Get it in the act of shooting (so it has to be an obvious shot) and get three free throws. Genius if it works, you look crazy when it doesn't. I think CNC is a mastermind of the game, but sometimes I wonder if she doesn't overthink situations and not just let them play. The fact Biggs didn't score a point is unacceptable. She has to figure out how to motivate the team and how to get something in the basket when things aren't falling. That is a coaches job. She is fully capable but hasn't done a good job the last couple of weeks.
Brusinbear2001
they are a VERY long team with it without Lee. The zone killed us in a lot of games this year and we have to fix that. All of our aggressive players like go in the shell when a team goes zone. The first half goes to show that. I'm not sure if Sarah is hurt or what but her level of play has just seemed off. Bella has seemed off too just with her energy. Also who knows what happened to Madison? We make feee throws we win that still with the bad half.
BBWCBear
blackie said:

BBWCBear said:

So you are promising not to post again? Just asking for a friend.

Yessir, I won't. If they can make Post Season, maybe. As far as regular season I may record specific games and watch. Honestly the outcome of those will be such that I won't want to watch. This team is a mid to low level Conference participant.
BUBBFAN
Something is just not right with this team. You don't go from where we were early to where we are now without there being some type of issue.
blackie
Brusinbear2001 said:

they are a VERY long team with it without Lee. The zone killed us in a lot of games this year and we have to fix that. All of our aggressive players like go in the shell when a team goes zone. The first half goes to show that. I'm not sure if Sarah is hurt or what but her level of play has just seemed off. Bella has seemed off too just with her energy. Also who knows what happened to Madison? We make feee throws we win that still with the bad half.
It's almost like they don't want to be the one to shoot. Problems are probably as much mental as basketball IQ.
ImABearToo
Maybe we need a reliable big. Seems we are undersized and just pass and shoot from too far out.
“Life is short, eat desert first!”
DP4LIFE
Some strange minutes the whole second half. Against that zone, you need a penetrator like Walker or Yaya running point at the top. Andrews isn't fast enough to penetrate that zone. The few passes over the top were good - but recipients weren't ready to take it strong to the basket. As some have said - one very bad half of basketball - not a good look as a coach when you only score 16 points in the 2nd half, and you are still holding two timeouts. Andrews and Edwards were gassed halfway through the 4th quarter. Those timeouts could have provided some needed rest in a game that came down to 1 possession.
blackie
BUBBFAN said:

Something is just not right with this team. You don't go from where we were early to where we are now without there being some type of issue.
Seems to me that we are not doing enough in the middle (free throw line area). We drive in and they know we are going to pass it out. They don't have to collapse. I would rather see missed shots from the line than taking less likely to be successful 3s when we just for some reason right now can't hit the ocean when we have a full coastline view.
bawitdaball
Brusinbear2001 said:

Yea, but the zone has been killing us all season. Coach should have known that teams would implement that to expose their weaknesses. Why they haven't been working on that for a while is beside me. This is also all to say that maybe they have and the players just aren't delivering. But we have a deep enough bench that if someone isn't doing what they are supposed to be doing, bring the next player in. There has to be a sense of accountability. And scoring 16 points in a half of basketball is straight up tragic. Our offensive chemistry just sin't there at the moment.
CHP Bear
ImABearToo said:

Maybe we need a reliable big. Seems we are undersized and just pass and shoot from too far out.
Definitely need someone at the post.
BUatbirth
blackie said:

Brusinbear2001 said:

It's almost like they don't want to be the one to shoot. Problems are probably as much mental as basketball IQ.
This. Might be the reason we over dribble and over pass. No one seems to "want" the ball
bawitdaball
ImABearToo said:

Be careful. I made that statement a few games ago and was told to go buy a premium membership and read a post that explained why we lost by sceince. I didn't do that, but I highly doubt science can explain going 1-3 over the last few weeks.
blackie
bawitdaball said:

Brusinbear2001 said:

Yea, but the zone has been killing us all season. Coach should have known that teams would implement that to expose their weaknesses. Why they haven't been working on that for a while is beside me. This is also all to say that maybe they have and the players just aren't delivering. But we have a deep enough bench that if someone isn't doing what they are supposed to be doing, bring the next player in. There has to be a sense of accountability. And scoring 16 points in a half of basketball is straight up tragic. Our offensive chemistry just sin't there at the moment.
Right there with you on the offensive chemistry comment.
12au
After Jada's miss, we still had 3 timeouts, right? Somehow we got the ball back... How do we not call one?

I definitely don't put this loss on Jada, we just are awful against zone. Hopefully it gets figured out at some point

Edit: We did call a timeout--I misremembered
blackie
12au said:

After Jada's miss, we still had 3 timeouts, right? Somehow we got the ball back... How do we not call one?

I definitely don't put this loss on Jada, we just are awful against zone. Hopefully it gets figured out at some point
I think they did call a timeout after that wild shot.
ImABearToo
Well we look like an SFA or SHSU from a size perspective. Not a P5, other than the one big that sits the bench.
“Life is short, eat desert first!”
saucebob
We didn't score in the last 4:33.
blackie
ImABearToo said:

Well we look like an SFA or SHSU from a size perspective. Not a P5, other than the one big that sits the bench.
We could use some size inside (that is experienced) more than the football team needs defensive linemen. That I would think would be priority one for the portal for next year.
CHP Bear
saucebob said:

We didn't score in the last 4:33.
Just 2 baskets in last 4:33 and a great bus ride home. lol

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.