Story Poster
Photo by Jack Mackenzie - SicEm365
Baylor Women's Basketball

No. 24 Baylor Makes Return Trip to No. 22 West Virginia

February 23, 2024

WACO, Texas – The No. 24 Baylor women’s basketball team returns to the road for a two-game road swing beginning with No. 22 West Virginia on Saturday.

Tip-off is set for 1 p.m. CT and the game is available for streaming via the Big 12 Now on ESPN+. A live radio broadcast will be available online and locally in Waco on 104.9 FM and live in-game updates will be provided via Twitter and live stats.

STARTING FIVE

Baylor won its 29th-consecutive meeting with Texas Tech on Sunday with the last loss Baylor will have its third opportunity at a series sweep this weekend when it travels to face No. 22 West Virginia. The Bears split the series with nationally-ranked Texas earlier this season before sweeping Houston. Baylor will have a final chance at a two-game sweep when it hosts Oklahoma State in the regular-season finale on March 3.

Saturday’s game marks the ninth top-25 matchup of the season for the Bears. Baylor is 5-3 this year against ranked opponents including 3-3 against ranked foes in the Big 12.

With the 69-61 victory over Kansas on Wednesday, the Bears collected their 20th win of the season marking the 24th-straight year that Baylor has put together a 20-plus win season. The streak is the second-longest in the country behind UConn (31).

For the second-straight game, and third time in five outings, Baylor outrebounded its opponent on Wednesday night, besting Kansas on the boards, 41-29. The Bears are an impressive 16-1 this season when grabbing more rebounds than their opponent.

Baylor’s bench scored 35 points while the Bears held Kansas’ bench to zero points marking the fourth time this season, and the third time in league play, the Jayhawk reserves have gone scoreless.

SCOUTING THE SERIES WITH WEST VIRGINIA

Baylor leads the all-time series with West Virginia, 23-5, and the Bears are 9-1 in Morgantown. Prior to the Mountaineers’ sweep of the Bears last season, Baylor had won 11-straight games dating back to the 2017-18 season.

In BU’s 65-58 win at home on Feb. 10, four Bears finished in double figures led by Darianna Littlepage-Buggs’ 14-point, 10-rebound performance. Bella Fontleroy joined her teammate in double figures on the glass, grabbing 10 rebounds, while Sarah Andrews dished out a game-high six assists. The 58 points scored by WVU were its third-lowest scoring output of the season, tallying just 49 against Texas (Jan. 6) and 54 against George Washington (Nov. 23).

Discussion from...

No. 24 Baylor Makes Return Trip to No. 22 West Virginia

5,496 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Dcheetah
BU71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
pilgrim said:

I don't remember a game ending like this in a long time.
I think the last time I saw a steal lead to a win for us while I was a student at BU while Bill Menefee was the coach!
BU71
I need to watch the replay, it seemed like we gave up way too many drives to the basket or is it just me?
BUVA
Quinerly (33 points) reminded me of Tynice Davis who played for WV a few years back. She torched us in the BiG12 tourney. Hope we don't play them again!
bawitdaball
BU71 said:

pilgrim said:

I don't remember a game ending like this in a long time.
I think the last time I saw a steal lead to a win for us while I was a student at BU while Bill Menefee was the coach!
Mukley's Bears in the Sweet 16 v. Tennessee in, I believe, OKC. Jessica Straton threw the ball away with seconds left in a tie game. Tennessee misses the first shot and is fouled on the rebound for go ahead free throws.
bawitdaball
BUVA said:

Quinerly (33 points) reminded me of Tynice Davis who played for WV a few years back. She torched us in the BiG12 tourney. Hope we don't play them again!
Baring an upset, I think they will end up the #4 seed and us the #5. We'd meet them again, them with fresh legs, us with a game under our belt.
blackie
bawitdaball said:

Why did we not take a timeout during that run? Four straight backcourt turnovers and no time out to advance the ball?

I think the frustrating thing is watching a game for two hours that is given away in a matter of 2 minutes of game time. If you can't hold a 10 point lead with 2 1/2 minutes left ...
Someone can correct me but I thought the advance the ball thing was in the last minute, not last two minutes??????
blackie
Anyone know if there was a problem with Felder? I saw a coach talking, almost looked like consoling her, but never saw her on the court again. Did she even play in the second half?
BUVA
blackie said:

Anyone know if there was a problem with Felder? I saw a coach talking, almost looked like consoling her, but never saw her on the court again. Did she even play in the second half?

I missed her completely! Box score shows 4 minutes in game. I do recall Fritz's 1 minute because she threw a bad pass resulting in TO.
bawitdaball
blackie said:

bawitdaball said:

Why did we not take a timeout during that run? Four straight backcourt turnovers and no time out to advance the ball?

I think the frustrating thing is watching a game for two hours that is given away in a matter of 2 minutes of game time. If you can't hold a 10 point lead with 2 1/2 minutes left ...
Someone can correct me but I thought the advance the ball thing was in the last minute, not last two minutes??????
You can advance the ball at ay time so long as forward progression hasn't begun. So whether it's on a rebound, a made basket or a steal. As long as there isn't a pass, a dribble etc. you can progress the ball to half court. Now, once you run the court and attempt to throw it in, technically that is a form of "progress" but rarely upheld.
bawitdaball
BUVA said:

blackie said:

I missed her completely! Box score shows 4 minutes in game. I do recall Fritz's 1 minute because she threw a bad pass resulting in TO.
She was in at the end of the first quarter and had three turn overs in about 30 seconds that lead to a 6-0 run when the store was like 10-13. She earned her sitting wasn't focused and was mentally frustrated.
blackie
bawitdaball said:

I still see us as a 5 seed as I don't think us or WV lose the last two games we have on the schedule. But I do feel we are in WVU's head a bit. And we will stay ranked for the duration of the season ... small victory!
Sure hope we don't meet them in the tournament but it is likely that we will. Hard to beat an even time 3 times.
blackie
bawitdaball said:

blackie said:

bawitdaball said:

You can advance the ball at ay time so long as forward progression hasn't begun. So whether it's on a rebound, a made basket or a steal. As long as there isn't a pass, a dribble etc. you can progress the ball to half court. Now, once you run the court and attempt to throw it in, technically that is a form of "progress" but rarely upheld.
I don't believe that is true:

During the last 59.9 seconds of the game (fourth period or any extra period) when the team in control of the ball, or the team who is to be awarded a throw-in in their backcourt, is granted a timeout, the team will have the option to move the throw-in spot to a point 28 feet from the end line on either side of the ...

http://www.sectionixathletics.org/basketball/NCAA%20options%20to%20advance%20the%20ball.pdf

MrGolfguy
W
BearFan33
Tough win on the road. I'm happy the ladies caught a break in the end to win a game they almost gave away.
DEDD1969
Yeah, Fritz had a great defensive rebound and made a bad pass.!
blackie
Did anyone else think they gave WV too much time after the free throws? The inbounds started with 7 or seconds and then it looked like it was stopped momentarily, perhaps the operator thought the ball had gone out of bounds before it started up again. Just didn't look right to me. I was surprised that there were still 4.7 or whatever left by the time Jada took her shot and the foul was called.
Dcheetah
Thought the same
Dcheetah
TV said they temporarily stopped clock when they thought Quinerly was out of bounds so maybe that was the difference?
bawitdaball
blackie said:

bawitdaball said:

blackie said:

bawitdaball said:

I don't believe that is true:

During the last 59.9 seconds of the game (fourth period or any extra period) when the team in control of the ball, or the team who is to be awarded a throw-in in their backcourt, is granted a timeout, the team will have the option to move the throw-in spot to a point 28 feet from the end line on either side of the ...

http://www.sectionixathletics.org/basketball/NCAA%20options%20to%20advance%20the%20ball.pdf

Looks like you are correct. The decisions make a bit more sense then.
baylorjunkie
Polarbear
WV clock operators were inept yesterday, and it cost us on some critical plays:

1) Biggest impact was on 10 second violation - with a little over a minute to play during the furious WV comeback, we were called for a 10 second backcourt violation when Jada was just about to pass across the midcourt line to Bella. Problem is the refs use the shot clock as their guide, and the shot clock operator started the clock when Buggs touched the ball to take it out of bounds after a Quinerly layup. When Sarah received the ball inbounds there were already 2 seconds expired, so we effectively were called for an 8 second backcourt violation and nobody caught it. Jada was the most confused, because her internal clock told her she still had time and the whistle seemed rushed, but nobody challenged the refs.
2) Quinerly fumble with 7 seconds remaining - the game clock operator did stop the clock for about a second when Quinerly saved the ball from going out of bounds, but no referee blew a whistle so the clock should never have stopped. The clock was frozen for about a second, so after Jana's FT's they gave WV 4.3 seconds to get a final shot, but it probably should have been about a second less.
3) Shot clock not reset - in the 3rd Quarter, Sarah attempted a 3 pointer which bounced off the rim, and we got the rebound, but the shot clock didn't reset so the horn went off when we were in our offensive set, forcing us to take it out of bounds.
4) End of 1st half - the game clock operator stopped the clock for no reason after we rebounded a WV miss. The refs caught that one, and waved off the play.

Check the want ads in the WV paper tomorrow, there will likely be a posting for a couple of clock operator positions.

whitetrash
Polarbear said:

WV clock operators were inept yesterday, and it cost us on some critical plays:

1) Biggest impact was on 10 second violation - with a little over a minute to play during the furious WV comeback, we were called for a 10 second backcourt violation when Jada was just about to pass across the midcourt line to Bella. Problem is the refs use the shot clock as their guide, and the shot clock operator started the clock when Buggs touched the ball to take it out of bounds after a Quinerly layup. When Sarah received the ball inbounds there were already 2 seconds expired, so we effectively were called for an 8 second backcourt violation and nobody caught it. Jada was the most confused, because her internal clock told her she still had time and the whistle seemed rushed, but nobody challenged the refs.
2) Quinerly fumble with 7 seconds remaining - the game clock operator did stop the clock for about a second when Quinerly saved the ball from going out of bounds, but no referee blew a whistle so the clock should never have stopped. The clock was frozen for about a second, so after Jana's FT's they gave WV 4.3 seconds to get a final shot, but it probably should have been about a second less.
3) Shot clock not reset - in the 3rd Quarter, Sarah attempted a 3 pointer which bounced off the rim, and we got the rebound, but the shot clock didn't reset so the horn went off when we were in our offensive set, forcing us to take it out of bounds.
4) End of 1st half - the game clock operator stopped the clock for no reason after we rebounded a WV miss. The refs caught that one, and waved off the play.

Check the want ads in the WV paper tomorrow, there will likely be a posting for a couple of clock operator positions.

I thought the backcourt violation was too quick, but didn't rewind to double check it. Thanks for confirming.

Task Force 2015
Same here.
Bone Squad
BUVA said:

*Tynice Martin
BUVA
Bone Squad said:

BUVA said:

*Tynice Martin

Thank you! I had looked it up, but didn't post right away so last name slipped my mind.
Dcheetah
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.