Va Tech HC announced as new Kentucky HC

992 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by whitetrash
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just passing the info along.
bawitdaball
I think everyone saw this on the wall during his pre-game press conference. Find it very interesting that you interview for a job while still coaching in a tournament. Shocked neither he or the university waited out of respect for his current players. Will be interesting to see if any of his current roster follows him.
ctxbear
bawitdaball said:

I think everyone saw this on the wall during his pre-game press conference. Find it very interesting that you interview for a job while still coaching in a tournament. Shocked neither he or the university waited out of respect for his current players. Will be interesting to see if any of his current roster follows him.
I think with the way the transfer portal is now, this isn't as big of a deal as it once was. When there is a high probability that players will stay with a program for four years, the sense of betrayal at a coach leaving is higher.
blackie
I feel for the VT fan base. Lose your best player to graduation after not even getting to play in the tournament and now lose the coach who seems to have brought you up in the WBB world. As a fan, it really looks like a bleak situation. The only saving grace is that they have some time to try to recover for next year. What is unknown is what will their team look like a month or two from now? Between coaches leaving and the ability of players to leave at the drop of a hat with no penalty, it seems to be leaving the fans holding the bag. Hard to get excited about your team when you don't even know who you will have to watch next season.

I don't know how much VT was depending on the portal in the first place and how much a new coach coming in will have in place players with which to work. I know in our situation, we had enough decide to stay to get us through that first season, but that support was only going to be here one year before the main cogs would be leaving. The thing that exacerbated our situation was that most of the new players we were suppose to get for that season were going to be transfers who were coming here because of KM, not because of Baylor. Once she left, they went elsewhere for the most part. And for a few years we had not been having sizeable numbers of HS recruits coming here. We were depending more and more on the portal and less on HS recruits. With the change coming late, most of the recruiting for the next year was already set in stone. At least VT has got some time here....more than we had. They also don't have the drastic change in coaching. The guy is not a HOF coach which might make replacing him more attractive to other coaches.

This portal thing is pouring way too much uncertainty in the picture for the fans and the players of a school. The players don't even know who their teammates will be for the upcoming year. And I would think they have to ask the question themselves as to whether to stay or leave once they see some of the teammates looking around even though the like where they are. But have to think, will I be left holding the bag? Then you throw in a coach leaving and apparently planning to leave even before his team finished the season, is a terrible situation. Hope they can weather the storm. The fans deserve it. The players who love being at VT deserve it as well. I am very thankful that we have weathered the storm and are in a position to move forward.
whitetrash
blackie said:

I feel for the VT fan base. Lose your best player to graduation after not even getting to play in the tournament and now lose the coach who seems to have brought you up in the WBB world. As a fan, it really looks like a bleak situation. The only saving grace is that they have some time to try to recover for next year. What is unknown is what will their team look like a month or two from now? Between coaches leaving and the ability of players to leave at the drop of a hat with no penalty, it seems to be leaving the fans holding the bag. Hard to get excited about your team when you don't even know who you will have to watch next season.

I don't know how much VT was depending on the portal in the first place and how much a new coach coming in will have in place players with which to work. I know in our situation, we had enough decide to stay to get us through that first season, but that support was only going to be here one year before the main cogs would be leaving. The thing that exacerbated our situation was that most of the new players we were suppose to get for that season were going to be transfers who were coming here because of KM, not because of Baylor. Once she left, they went elsewhere for the most part. And for a few years we had not been having sizeable numbers of HS recruits coming here. We were depending more and more on the portal and less on HS recruits. With the change coming late, most of the recruiting for the next year was already set in stone. At least VT has got some time here....more than we had. They also don't have the drastic change in coaching. The guy is not a HOF coach which might make replacing him more attractive to other coaches.

This portal thing is pouring way too much uncertainty in the picture for the fans and the players of a school. The players don't even know who their teammates will be for the upcoming year. And I would think they have to ask the question themselves as to whether to stay or leave once they see some of the teammates looking around even though the like where they are. But have to think, will I be left holding the bag? Then you throw in a coach leaving and apparently planning to leave even before his team finished the season, is a terrible situation. Hope they can weather the storm. The fans deserve it. The players who love being at VT deserve it as well. I am very thankful that we have weathered the storm and are in a position to move forward.

And the irony is that it was VT's archrival UVA that went out and found a friendly judge to rule that the transfer portal is open season with no restrictions.

Since Kentucky has been dealing with a pretty empty plate since Matthew Mitchell stepped down, I wouldn't be surprised if several of VT's underclassemen players followed him across the Appalachians down I-64.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.