2018 verbal commits Smith & Bickle named Top 15 nationally

17,388 Views | 102 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ladybears4eva
slimecap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
2017-18 Girls All-America Teams
Street & Smith's sports magazine

by Christopher Lawlor of Blue Star Media

First Team

Charli Collier
Aquira DeCosta
Izabella Nicoletti
Olivia Nelson-Ododa
Christyn Williams

Second Team

Aliyah Boston
Samantha Brunelle
Zarielle Green
Sedona Prince
NaLyssa Smith

Third Team

Shakira Austin
Caitlin Bickle
Azzi Fudd
Destanni Henderson
Taylor Mikesell

- September 2017
Lone Star
Good for us !
skillledup
Rumor out there that Charli Collier will be available again this weekend. Let's see if this is true.
BuinmyBlood
skillledup said:

Rumor out there that Charli Collier will be available again this weekend. Let's see if this is true.
Wow! That would be a huge development. Please do keep us informed, skilled up...
74Bear
skillledup said:

Remember...thats what I posted about two months ago. The UConn commit might not stick.
BuinmyBlood
I wonder if Collier and NaLyssa Smith are friends.
WacoKelly83
She chose UConn over Texas and Southern California originally. I think we fell off her list really late in the game
slimecap
`

`

`
74Bear
I would hope she comes to Waco but if UT got her, surely that would help send Egbo our way.
DFW Bill
Before saying she was going to Texas she had Texas, Norte Dame, UConn and Baylor on her radar, telling the media there was no favorite. Then after turning away from the Longhorns she verbaled to UConn. My guess is back to Texas, but would love to be surprised.

This may help Baylor with DeCosta and Egbo. But hard to say.
bowdedg
Any chance this will be Smith??
skillledup
Yea just heard she will be going to Texas. Pretty sure Baylor is trying to get back in but I've heard Texas never stopped recruiting her while she was at UCONN. Also her Aau coach is pushing her to Texas. The coach is terrible, she was upset and stopped talking to richards for her wanting to go to Baylor.
slimecap
skillledup said:

Yea just heard she will be going to Texas. Pretty sure Baylor is trying to get back in but I've heard Texas never stopped recruiting her while she was at UCONN. Also her Aau coach is pushing her to Texas. The coach is terrible, she was upset and stopped talking to richards for her wanting to go to Baylor.
The recruitment of Charli Collier has been one of the most interesting journeys to follow the last few years.

Top Left Photo
from left to right

2018 Christyn Williams still making official visits
2018 Sedona Prince verbal commit to Texas
Coach Katie Hensle
2018 Charli Collier as of this morning UConn verbal commit. Committed to UTexas in 8th grade ... then decommitted.

Archives
July 16, 2015
excerpts from an espn article by Walter Villa

" Charli Collier committed to Texas in October of her eighth-grade year but has since reopened her recruitment, to the delight of numerous coaches.

"After she committed, she started seeing other girls go on social media, picking schools," her mother Ponda Collier said. "She asked me: 'Mom, how do I know I don't like these other schools?'

"When she decommitted, Louisville came to her school (in March) to recruit her, and that made her day. That was the first school outside of Texas to recruit her."

Since then, Collier has made unofficial visits to numerous schools, including Tennessee -- she's a big Candace Parker fan -- Kansas and Kentucky.

Academically, Charli's favorite classes are math and science. She has an interest in becoming an air traffic controller or an engineer. Her mother is a geometry teacher at her school.

"The recruiting process for me is kind of crazy," Charli said. "I've been talking to a lot of coaches, including Connecticut and Notre Dame and all the schools that have been to the Final Four.

"I like all of them. I honestly don't know where I'm going to go because I'm so young."

Link for entire July 2015 espn article
http://www.espn.com/espnw/news-commentary/article/13265940/the-bigger-challenge-better-top-sophomore-charli-collier

Archives
June 14, 2015
Charli attends Baylor Summer Camp

Archives
May 17, 2016
Charli and her father's death in April 2016

Link
http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/15572762/charli-collier-sets-sights-team-usa-dad-death

Archives
Nov 26, 2016
Charli commits to UConn

Link
http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/18139322/charli-collier-gives-verbal-geno-auriemma-connecticut-huskies
Lone Star
Boy, it sure would be nice if she thought about Baylor and not UT. She would have some great support around her with the current team/recruits and could embrace the challenge of keeping BU on top of the Big 12.

If she does indeed open up her recruitment, I would hope she would re-evaluate ALL her choices and see who she would play with (that's important) at those schools. Not only that, she would also have one of the best and most loyal fans in the country here at Baylor !
skillledup
Sad story I just heard.........Egbo was ready to commit to Texas on her official visit. Karen knew about Collier and told Egbo that she needs to wait and let her see if this new decommit was going to go to texas.

If this is true I have lost a lot of repeat for Karen and how they are handling business. If I'm Collier and her family I'm looking else where. There is no loyalty there and how can I trust you. This is terrible if true.
Southie
What's terrible is you constantly trying to paint Texas and Coach Aston in a negative light. Recruiting is a tough business; tough decisions have to be made every day in all sports.
bularry
skillledup said:

Sad story I just heard.........Egbo was ready to commit to Texas on her official visit. Karen knew about Collier and told Egbo that she needs to wait and let her see if this new decommit was going to go to texas.

If this is true I have lost a lot of repeat for Karen and how they are handling business. If I'm Collier and her family I'm looking else where. There is no loyalty there and how can I trust you. This is terrible if true.

Sounds to me like Texas coaches did the right thing. Hope we get Egbo
BUConn1995
I agree re: Queen...she would compliment N.Smith quite nicely.
Onward Go
It may have already been posted, but Collier has committed to UT via twitter.
skillledup
Southie said:

What's terrible is you constantly trying to paint Texas and Coach Aston in a negative light. Recruiting is a tough business; tough decisions have to be made every day in all sports.

So don't say what was said is what you are telling me? Ok I see it now. If Mulkey or any coach for that matter did this I would tell it.
Slove09
Onward Go said:

so does this put us in the driver's seat with Queen Egbo now?
Southie
skillledup said:

Southie said:

So don't say what was said is what you are telling me? Ok I see it now. If Mulkey or any coach for that matter did this I would tell it.
You weren't even there. It's all heresay based on what others told you; but, you have been doing that for years. You definitely add your own personal view and take your punches, that's for sure. You even slammed the Cy-Fair Elite coach. Guess that makes you feel better.
skillledup
Don't be mad at me for knowing this, because I'm not mad at you for not knowing. I could care less if you do or don't know. If someone is treating these kids wrong I will broadcast it, no matter who it is. I hate the fact that these adults feel they can make money off these kids and feel they can dictate where they go at times. This is not the first nor the last time you will See this happen. If I see it happen I call them out about it. I've said this to Katie before and the coach for the cal stars. So what I'm telling you is I'm not saying it behind any of there back because I tell them. Hope that clears a lot of this up for you. Again.........not all coaches and evaluators are bad but the ones that are I do voice my opinion to them.
Lone Star
Nevermind the "he said, she said" above. What's done is done. Best wishes to Charli at UT. I truly hope it does become home for her. (If not, Waco is just 110 miles north )

Now to the matter at hand: Come on Queen ! Be a part of the BU family.
Southie

skillledup said:

A different opinion from someone on the UConn board:

Just been in touch with a source close to the Collier's de-commitment process and the recent events in Houston did have an influence of her decision. She's a young lady who lost her father last year and witnessed the effects of the hurricane on friends/family so through experiencing these events she made the decision to stay close to home. I was a bit frustrated of the thought of Texas "poaching" Collier away from UConn but my source said this wasn't the case. She wanted to stay close to home and chose TX based on her familiarity with the coaches and current/future players. It sucks to lose such a high profile commit but folks need to put themselves in this YOUNG lady's shoes before they start to pick her apart on social media.
BuinmyBlood
Slove09 said:

Onward Go said:

so does this put us in the driver's seat with Queen Egbo now?

One would certainly like to think so if you're a Baylor fan but what this also means is that UConn now will be looking for the best post player left on the board that they can get. And that just means more competition for us on Egbo and Acosta. The net effect of this is not good for us since all it did was move Collier to a rival and leave us with more competition for what's left on the board that we want.

Certainly all of us would be ecstatic if the end result of this was that we got Egbo because of Texas' good fortune..
Twhaley
That's a bunch of nonsense. Karen did exactly what she was supposed to do. If you feel like you have the ability to get a player that you view as being better or fits your program better than the one that's ready to commit,you do exactly what Karen did. If what you say is true Karen was up front and honest with her. It would be a different story if Karen allowed her to commit then called a couple of days later to tell Queen that they were withdrawing her commitment and she thought it would be best if both went their separate ways.

As a side note. As a Texas fan I would rather of had Queen because Charlie and Sedona are very similar in terms of position. In my opinion Queen is more athletic and more versatile than Charlie. But that's why Karen makes over a half a million dollars and I don't.
Twhaley
skillledup said:

Don't be mad at me for knowing this, because I'm not mad at you for not knowing. I could care less if you do or don't know. If someone is treating these kids wrong I will broadcast it, no matter who it is. I hate the fact that these adults feel they can make money off these kids and feel they can dictate where they go at times. This is not the first nor the last time you will See this happen. If I see it happen I call them out about it. I've said this to Katie before and the coach for the cal stars. So what I'm telling you is I'm not saying it behind any of there back because I tell them. Hope that clears a lot of this up for you. Again.........not all coaches and evaluators are bad but the ones that are I do voice my opinion to them.
Again, Karen did nothing wrong.
Twhaley
skillledup said:

Southie said:

As a Texas fan if Mulkey did what Karen did I wouldn't have any problem with it. Because if what you're saying is true Karen did the right thing.
Onward Go
From a mere fan/novice point of view, if CKM and crew get Egbo, ODO or whomever, they'll be able to match Collier step for step in the future. We've continually won the battle in the paint due to Bill Brock's and CKM's superior coaching. No doubt in my mind that Collier would have been better served by being under the tutelage of our coaching staff.

While looking at our game versus UT last year in Austin, I was reminded at the different role each team's standout freshman ended up playing. While Holmes won the frosh of the year award, ours is the one that didn't foul out, has the 15 shot that made a difference and had enough court awareness to drive to the basket and draw the 5th foul from Holmes. I really can't wait to see Lauren Cox's progress from last year to this -- simply because she played her role and worked on the basics last year.

I recently watched the '05 NC game again and was amazed at our speed and post to post play. Man, could Sophia Young elevate! I'm excited to see Nalyssa Smith doing that kind of thing as a PF, and I'm excited to see the kind of team CKM will put together in the near future.
Southie
skillledup said:

Her mother says otherwise:

"Rumors of tampering or post-commit recruiting never occurred according to Ponda Collier."

http://www.bluestarmedia.org/14938-2/
Bullydawg22
No where does it say you cant keep recruiting kids even though they are committed. Happens all the time, do do not like when its negative recruiting towards other teams though. Not saying at all that's the case here just saying in general.
setshot
I see no reason for any team of interest to a player to give up on them because they have committed to, but not yet signed with, another program. And every coach has at one time or another put a player on hold because of the possibility of signing a superior player, or one that fills a specific need.

Prince and Collier may find it difficult to coexist, no matter how the recipe seems promising. Kalani Brown and Beatrice Mompremier were close, but their coexistence was quite difficult, especially with Lauren Cox arriving.
Cox had skills that Beatrice did not have and could play at PF more effectively than Mompremier. Brown is clearly a superior player to both in the post, and the bulk of minutes at that position are going to her.

Collier probably has a more developed game than Prince, but gives up some size, so it all depends on the development of the taller player. I doubt that Collier would be effective at the PF slot, more so because of defensive liabilities than offensive ones. Prince certainly would be deficient away from the paint, so Texas will have to find a way for the two players to share time or perhaps play a zone. It is a good problem to have and one that will resolve itself in time.

Aston is a good coach, I think, but a better recruiter. She will have an even bigger advantage when the new basketball arena is constructed. It is an old story, the one about the built-in advantages that the Longhorns have, but they have often failed to cash in on them, as we know. It looks, however, as though Mulkey will have a strong adversary down at Austin. That will be good for the conference, and should be a great rivalry.
BaylorBears_254
Southie said:

skillledup said:

Southie said:

You weren't even there. It's all heresay based on what others told you; but, you have been doing that for years. You definitely add your own personal view and take your punches, that's for sure. You even slammed the Cy-Fair Elite coach. Guess that makes you feel better.

Could you not drive people with valuable sources away from the site just because they have a hard opinion on coaches from a different school? You're acting like a UT fan the way you are defending them.

I get both sides, but damn skilledup can't have a harsh opinion on these coaches?
BaylorBears_254
I look for Queen to be a Lady Bear. Going to be interesting having Smith and the possibilities of Decosta and Egbo against UT's frontline of Prince, Holmes, Boothe, and Collier.

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.