Story Poster
Baylor Women's Basketball

Lady Bears hand No. 1 UConn first regular season loss since 2014

January 3, 2019

WACO, Texas — In the final game of the non-conference portion of the schedule, the No. 8-ranked Baylor Lady Bears defeated No. 1-ranked UConn 68-57 on their home court inside the Ferrell Center Thursday evening. The regular season loss for the Huskies was their first since 2014 against Stanford.

1st Period

UConn scored the opening points of the contest, but an answer by Kalani Brown and back-to-back three-point makes by Juicy Landrum put the Lady Bears on top 8-5 to stay for the first 10 minutes of the contest. Baylor held the Huskies to 23.5-percent shooting from the field compared to 43.8-percent of their own, but three made UConn free throws kept the margin to only three points.. 

Leader

Juicy Landrum: 6 points, 2/3 3fg, 1 steal

Score

Baylor 16, UConn 13

2nd Period

Brown knocked down a long jumper from the top of the key to open the second period to extend Baylor’s lead and was answered by a UConn basket two possessions later. The Lady Bears scored six-straight points to extend their lead out to nine. From there, however, UConn went on a 12-4 run of their own, cutting the lead to one at half.

Leader

NaLyssa Smith: 8 points, 5 rebounds, 1 block

Score

Baylor 30, UConn 29

3rd Period

The first period after the half was one of momentum swinging runs. UConn tied up the game at 32 on a three-point basket with 8:55 remaining in the third period, but the Lady Bears, led by Lauren Cox and Kalani Brown, quickly extended their lead back out to seven points with 4:58 remaining. Two field goals by UConn cut the lead back down to two, but once again Baylor answered with four-straight field goals of their own. The Huskies then hit two additional three pointers to cut back into the lead in the closing minute. 

Leaders

Lauren Cox: 9 points, 2 blocks, 1 rebound

Score

Baylor 51, UConn 47

4th Period

Brown returned to the game after sitting the closing minutes of the third period to score four points in a row to extend Baylor’s lead back to eight. The run continued for the next several minutes as the Lady Bears grew their lead to 10 points following Brown’s third basket of the final period. UConn fought back once again, however, knocking down two three pointers to cut Baylor’s 12 point lead in half. Baylor then answered with six-consecutive points, a run that would essentially end the game.

Leader

Kalani Brown: 8 points, 8 rebounds

Final Score

Baylor 68, UConn 57

Discussion from...

Lady Bears hand No. 1 UConn first regular season loss since 2014

16,324 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by setshot
Brian Ethridge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Great look back
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Front page of ESPN
Brian Ethridge
Staff
SmallVol1
Congratulations, Baylor. And you beat them in Hartford!

My bad...thought the game was in Connecticut, still a great win for Baylor.
geewago
SmallVol1 said:

That's been a long time ago.
Scottdye
Will CKM have her Press Conference posted? I would love to hear what she says.
whitetrash
UConn's last loss by double digits was the final regular season game in 2013 (to ND, also by 11).
whitetrash
SmallVol1 said:

My bad...thought the game was in Connecticut, still a great win for Baylor.

We are actually 3-3 all time in regular season games against UConn (and 0-1 in the tournament).
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Wichitabear
Mulkey, you have made Baylor fans proud beyond our dreams. Thank you
EatMoreSalmon
Congratulations, ladies! A lot of hard work paid off in that game. Well done.
historian
It was a beautiful thing!

Quick reminder: Mulkey's son-in-law, Clay Fuller, was a WR at Baylor in 2013-14.

Big 12 highlights:

StatMan
31 points & 24 rebounds combined for Kalani Brown & Lauren Cox. Overwhelming 52-10 advantage for Baylor over UConn with points in the paint. The last time a UConn WBB basketball team was held to less than 30% shooting in a game was 20 seasons ago! The lights were shining bright at Baylor University Thursday night, especially at the Ferrell Center!
whitetrash
Hartford Courant writeup on the game:

https://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-womens-basketball/hc-sp-uconn-vs-baylor-201931-20190104-4isoc2yiprehvgw4nzxlha6mum-story.html
Scottdye
This was an unbelievable game last night. Our Lady Bears out played the #1 Team in the country, and they deserve every bit of CREDIT that comes their way this week. WOW

Lauren may not have scored many points tonight, but her overall play was unbelievable. WHAT a force in the paint with her shot blocking ability. She is a constant enforcer for BU.

Kalani played one of her best games last night. I truly hope she moves up in the ranks for the draft. I also hope that she gets drafted by Dallas, so that I can continue to watch her play in person after BU.

I could go on about each player last night, but that will take to long. SO GREAT JOB LADY BEARS, I am so very proud of you.

The coaching staff on getting the team ready... what can be said but THEY ARE THE BEST OF THE BEST or to take a quote from CKM.. They are the ELITE OF THE ELITE.

Now let's win the BIG 12

Sicem
Timbear
Wow! Great win Kim and Lady Bears!
rvwsleep
Congratulations on last nights win. The Huskies didn't shoot very well and most of that was because of Baylor's defense. Brown was a tower of strength but I thought that Smith was the difference off the bench.
historian
I think a lot of people in the national media are in shock over the Lady Bears' win. Here are two video examples:

I have also seen several examples in print in which the tone is what I would describe as shocked. Then again, maybe a lot of us Baylor fans are also shocked.
BUVA
My season ticket for the game, which has Moon Ursin on it, will be set alongside my ticket stub for the 1974 Miracle on the Brazos!
gobears20
Staff
gobears20
Staff
bear67retired
At halftime of the ISU vs KU wbb game on Fox today, Ron Thulin was very complimentary of Didi and the job she did on KLS. Brenda VanLengan agreed and added everyone on the team contributed.

The win still making people talk.
uglytobone
gobears20 said:

Nice. Thanks!
setshot
There was also an acknowledgement and brief discussion of the UCONN victory during the telecast of the men's game in Fort Worth today by the network announcer and color analyst. They were very complimentary of the Lady Bears and they assigned great value to their triumph.
slimecap

gone to Tickfaw
I keep hearing the word "Historic" win... great stuff to be the team to stop that...

Perhaps it's now our turn to become the UCONN...
slimecap
2020 Sahara Jones
2023 Samantha Wagner

slimecap

Closing seconds of the game

Wichitabear
Proud moment.
setshot
Samantha Wagner is not yet in high school and is already known to the world of recruitment. She summer camped at Baylor and has been up to Waco several times, now. I have not seen videos of her but it would appear that she already has an advanced game for her age. Doubtless someone to keep an eye on in years to come, and it seems that Baylor is already a program to be reckoned with when the time arrives.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.