NaLyssa Smith

18,028 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by slimecap
4th and Inches
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nina Davis wasnt big but her impact was! People seem to get too caught up on size, Smith is an outstanding player
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
slimecap

#1 NaLyssa Smith vs Lamar on Nov 21, 2019
BU71
The sky is the limit for NaLyssa Smith. I expect Big 12 selection along with some All-American honors
57Bear
slimecap said:

We talk about DiDi's defensive ability and sometimes her offensive ability, but I appreciate her hospitality ability. I suspect that she plays an integral role in helping the newcomers to feel a part of the team.
blueeyedbear
57Bear said:

slimecap said:

We talk about DiDi's defensive ability and sometimes her offensive ability, but I appreciate her hospitality ability. I suspect that she plays an integral role in helping the newcomers to feel a part of the team.
Most fans have no idea how important and crucial she has become in the recruiting process and to think there was a time her freshman year she was considering transferring !! I wish DeCosta had listened to her and stayed.
BU71
De Costa is very accomplished offensively and she has the physical ability to be a lockdown defender but defense requires a lot of "want to". Could it be that she didn't want to pay the price to become a great defender? Her leaving is a loss for BU but I think it is also a loss for her because she may not develop into the all around player she might have become had she stayed here. She seems like a nice young lady too bad it didn't work for her here.
blueeyedbear
BU71 said:

De Costa is very accomplished offensively and she has the physical ability to be a lockdown defender but defense requires a lot of "want to". Could it be that she didn't want to pay the price to become a great defender? Her leaving is a loss for BU but I think it is also a loss for her because she may not develop into the all around player she might have become had she stayed here. She seems like a nice young lady too bad it didn't work for her here.
I agree
willtalk
In respect to DeCosta on playing perimeter defense. I don't believe it was ever a matter of not wanting to put out the effort or pay the price. One of her shortcomings even in high school was lapses of focus. You can get away with that playing off the ball defense in the post, but when you are guarding a perimeter player on the ball player you just can't. It is just a matter of repetitive focus and that only comes through playing. It was a catch 22 situation at Baylor. She needed playing time but with the level of experienced players in front of her, that would be limited. She would not have had the same issues had she played at the forward position, but not only was she not needed there but that position is also not where she would ultimately excel.

I just responded to a poster on the Boneyard who made some disparaging remarks about Aquira. Not about her play on the court, but her character, lack of effort and discipline. This poster wrote as if they had inside information but from the tone and some of the things they wrote, it became clear to me that he knew very little about her history. He was not even referring to her time at Baylor but her entire history and that is why I knew they were off base. Even if what they wrote was true, which it wasn't, to write something like that is totally uncalled for under any circumstances.

I challenged them to come to this site and write what he did and see what kind of response they would get.

There are far too many people making statements about things they know little about. Unless for some reason her entire perspective on the sport changed overnight and she was no longer committed to making the sport her future. That has happened to players in the past. They get burned out.
blueeyedbear
willtalk said:

In respect to DeCosta on playing perimeter defense. I don't believe it was ever a matter of not wanting to put out the effort or pay the price. One of her shortcomings even in high school was lapses of focus. You can get away with that playing off the ball defense in the post, but when you are guarding a perimeter player on the ball player you just can't. It is just a matter of repetitive focus and that only comes through playing. It was a catch 22 situation at Baylor. She needed playing time but with the level of experienced players in front of her, that would be limited. She would not have had the same issues had she played at the forward position, but not only was she not needed there but that position is also not where she would ultimately excel.

I just responded to a poster on the Boneyard who made some disparaging remarks about Aquira. Not about her play on the court, but her character, lack of effort and discipline. This poster wrote as if they had inside information but from the tone and some of the things they wrote, it became clear to me that he knew very little about her history. He was not even referring to her time at Baylor but her entire history and that is why I knew they were off base. Even if what they wrote was true, which it wasn't, to write something like that is totally uncalled for under any circumstances.

I challenged them to come to this site and write what he did and see what kind of response they would get.

There are far too many people making statements about things they know little about. Unless for some reason her entire perspective on the sport changed overnight and she was no longer committed to making the sport her future. That has happened to players in the past. They get burned out.
Good for you - unfortunately way to many gutless posters hide behind the anonymity sites like the boneyard and others offer and post every asinine thought that passes through their grey matter without any regard for the truth or the consequences of their words.
slimecap

NaLyssa Smith #1

Jan 9, 2020 vs UConn
20 points & 12 rebounds

RSBear Your projection from the UConn game last year was on target !
Casual Observer
I was delighted to see NaLyssa play facing the basket much more in last night's game instead of posting up.
RSBear
She could truly be one of the great players in BU history if she wants to. Her athleticism is tremendous. If she can stay out of foul trouble, we can get back to a FF. With her sitting on the bench a lot, it will be tough.
gone to Tickfaw
ONO made the mid season watch list for the Wooden. Nalyssa did not. Nalyssa leads scoring on the defending national champions. She strummed UCONN. With our her, we wouldn't have won this year, nor last year, not the NC.

Also.... did you realize the two top scorers in this showdown were not starters on the NC team. Nalyssa was 6th man. Cooper wasn't here.
mlb60
NaLyssa is everything she was ever hyped up to be. She will be a player every other team hates to see because she can beat you in so many different ways.
McCavebear
Sic 'em Lady Bears!

So proud of you all!
McCavebear Lives!
slimecap

setshot
The OSU coach said that after watching Smith play summer AAU ball two years ago he concluded that she was the top player in her class, and subsequently we have seen that borne out. Now that she is confident in her role on this team and has her teammates taking full advantage of her athleticism and skill we are seeing the full range of her capabilities and it is as potent as we had hoped it would be.

What should scare our opponents is that she is just in her sophomore season and is getting stronger and more skilled as the season wears along. Of all our recruits in recent years, only Cox was higher on my list than NaLyssa, and she was ahead only slightly. It was clear that this was a special player, but I did not know just how competitive and how impressive her temperament was, and that has been especially gratifying as she has grown into her role with this team.
slimecap

Jan 18, 2020 vs West Virginia
slimecap

11 Mar 2019
slimecap
Jan 22, 2020

"Smith initially turned her ankle in a game against Oklahoma State on Jan. 12, and got stepped on Saturday against West Virginia.

Mulkey said Smith is good running straight ahead, and wanted to play, but the coach didn't feel she was ready after watching her in pregame warmups."

- Stephen Hawkins, AP
Mulder
Good idea to give NaLyssa the night off.
This weekend she can return to the fold in a familiar setting.
An Objective Fan of The Former Baylor Lady Bears.
slimecap

@ Kansas State on Feb 8, 2020

10 points. 4-4 FT. 1 assist. 4 rebounds. 18 minutes.
Saddle Up!
Any explanation given for less than 2 quarters playing time?
Valkyrie
Defense plus Egbo deserved some minutes. Too many fouls.
slimecap

vs Oklahoma on Feb 22, 2020

22 points. 10-12 FG. 1 assist. 8 rebounds. 3 blocks. 1 steal. 25 minutes.
ScottS
I was glad to see her have a big game yesterday. The injury must be in the rear view mirror.
slimecap

vs Kansas State on Feb 29, 2020

23 points. 10-16 FG. 1 assist. 5 offensive rebounds. 13 total rebounds. 1 steal. 35 minutes.
The sophomore forward surpassed 400 career rebounds.

Bear89
Nice to see NaLyssa have a terrific game. Get her and Lauren back at full strength and charging into the Big XII and NCAA tournaments and I like our chances against anyone - whether SC or Oregon.

slimecap said:

vs Kansas State on Feb 29, 2020

23 points. 10-16 FG. 1 assist. 5 offensive rebounds. 13 total rebounds. 1 steal. 35 minutes.
The sophomore forward surpassed 400 career rebounds.

slimecap

vs Texas on March 5, 2020

13 points. 1 assist. 10 rebounds. 3 blocks. 33 minutes.
The sophomore surpassed 700 career points.
slimecap

2020 Big 12 All-Conference 1st Team NaLyssa Smith

Congratulations NaLyssa !
slimecap

NALYSSA SMITH

"Smith led Baylor in scoring average at 14.3, grabbed 8.0 rebounds per game and shot .586 from the floor. In just two seasons with the Lady Bears, her career field goal percentage of .565 ranks fifth all-time in the Baylor record book. The All-America Honorable Mention honor for the sophomore was the 1st of Smith's career."

- Baylor WBB website, 19 March 2020
BU71
slimecap said:

NALYSSA SMITH

"Smith led Baylor in scoring average at 14.3, grabbed 8.0 rebounds per game and shot .586 from the floor. In just two seasons with the Lady Bears, her career field goal percentage of .565 ranks fifth all-time in the Baylor record book. The All-America Honorable Mention honor for the sophomore was the 1st of Smith's career."

- Baylor WBB website, 19 March 2020
It is so good to see this outstanding player get the recognition she deserves. I'm excited at the fact that her best basketball is ahead of her. She and Queen will be a headache for everyone we play next year. Depth upfront is an issue. Bickle will be effective as a stretch 4 but how fast Gusters becomes a rotational player will be pivotal. Didi (I hate the fact that she is a senior, they grow up so fast don't they) will be able to help out but it would be good to have her available to guard back-court scores if needed. If we can avoid injury we will be solid upfront with the player we have and if CKM brings in a transfer we could be even stronger.

BTW does anyone know if we are recruiting any foreign players?
slimecap

@ Arkansas on Dec 6, 2020
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.