Decosta and Scott-Grason

10,939 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by willtalk
chorne68
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Why are they not playing? DeCosta was the number one forward recruit and the number 2 overall recruit in the nation and Scott-Graspm was the number one point guard and the number 5 overall recruit in the nation.
fredbear
I wondered the same . Bickel as well. Injuries?
Baylor Dad in Va.
chorne68 said:

Why are they not playing? DeCosta was the number one forward recruit and the number 2 overall recruit in the nation and Scott-Graspm was the number one point guard and the number 5 overall recruit in the nation.
Good question. I think there are a lot of us that are wondering the same thing and would like to know the answer because we still have high expectations (and correctly so I think) for both of them.

However, I might argue a tiny bit with the recruiting rankings that you give. On ESPN Hoops girls, Honesty Scott Grayson was the # 20 overall recruit, and the third best at her position. Aquira Dacosta was the #3 overall, and #1 player at her position. Impressive numbers for both!!

I know that Aquira has had injuries that has perhaps held her back, and I think I saw Honesty wearing a knee brace recently too. In any case, I hope they are both able to get healthy, practice well, and that we can see more of them in the future.
chorne68
Rankings were Prospect Nation.
geewago
chorne68 said:

Rankings were Prospect Nation.
IMO Prospect is a tad better overall than Hoopsgurlz
Chibears2
I like Scott-Grayson and hope she pans out, but I am surprised at the questioning of her not getting more playing time, especially if one has watched the games. She has been lackluster in her performances, at best. Turns the ball over WAY too much for a position where the ball is going to be in her hands a lot. Turning the ball over is probably the #1 basketball sin, as it is hard to recover from (as opposed to grabbing an offensive rebound after a poor shot). She doesn't seem particularly concerned about her effort, either, though certainly, as an observer I don't know squat about what her real attitude is like. May just be her personality, but I compare that to Moon's attitude last year and there was determination and passion to go along with Ursin's frustration. The latter, alone, won't lead to improvement.

And in the Tech game, Bickle looked lost running the offense in the few minutes she was in. This is conference. Plenty of time in non-con to learn the plays and understand where you are supposed to be on the floor.

Don't know why DeCosta didn't play, but perhaps her previous injury has re-emerged or there was something Coach didn't like in practice or off court. Who knows?

Listen to Mulkey's post game interview. She intends to hold these freshmen accountable. They are not end of bench practice only players. They can help this team make a deep run, but ONLY if they advance and mature as basketball players. No matter how great they were in high school, their level of play must get better and better because they are putting in the work, or they cannot expect to get significant minutes on a Division 1 elite team. The ball is in their court....
GoldenBear
chorne68 said:

We have a complete roster of good players and CKM knows how to rotate them according to games situations.. When those mentioned get their time to shine they will be inserted. It takes time for many of the inexperienced new recruits to learn the ropes at this high level of competition. DeCosta was injured when play first begin so she has some catching up to do....
Lion82
The freshman that practice well and flow well in the offense get minutes. Smith gets lots of minutes. Egbo got minutes today and contributed . Some of the other ones were like deer in the headlights today and were largely responsible for blowing a 30 point lead.

It is unrealistic to think we are going to play more than 7 or 8 in the rotation.
WNIT in '23
Baylor Dad in Va.
Good post ChiBears2. I agree with what you say. I was hoping to start a conversation on the subject.
GarlandBear84
As Chibears2 said listen to Kim's postgame comments. She basically said don't sit on the bench complaining about lack of minutes and then not be ready to play when called upon. She was pissed at some freshmen.
Chibears2
Not sure what to expect from the rest of the big 12 yet, and every team is going to want to put a Baylor "trophy" on their wall, but I think there should be meaningful minutes to be had for even the end of bench players, IF they can get themselves physically and mentally prepared. As Maggie Davis-Stinett said on post game show, "Be prepared so you don't have to get yourself prepared."

The young 'uns will be okay, if they let themself be coached, even if that means learning how to react to "tough love."
Scottdye
Where can we find CKM press conference?
fubar
Charli Collier (HoopGurlz #2 overall for 2018) didn't play for UT today against WVU.

Megan Walker (HoopGurlz #1 overall for 2017) rarely played in meaningful games for UConn last year. She's starting this year.

It's not unusual for the highest-rated recruits to sit a lot early on when they go the big programs. It's a huge jump in competition from high school to Top Ten. I suspect we'll see a lot of DeCosta and Scott-Grayson starting next year.
setshot
I am not sure yet that DeCosta is ready for a lot of playing time at this level. She played meaningful minutes at Stanford, but except for a three point shot, made on her first attempt but not close on the next two), she did not do much that was noteworthy, and she was not up on her assignment and gave up a critical three pointer that slowed our comeback effort to a crawl. She played a zone in high school and is still learning how to play defense at this level. I think that she is a fine prospect, but I would be surprised to see her play major minutes except in "clear up, garbage time." It did surprise me to see that she did not get into the game until the very last minute, however.

Grayson does not appear to me to have a position right now. When Jackson is off the floor, Landrum is likely to move to the PG position, and if Morris returns next year she will move back to that slot, and we know her capabilities. Grayson is a nice shooter, and I think has some good skills, but right now she is struggling to find a role and to fill it. Her propensity for turning the ball over can be overcome (Landrum and Ursin both had this problem as frosh players), but Jordyn Oliver arrives next year and I suspect that she will be on the floor quite a bit.

Bickle is a tough, gritty player, but she, too, is facing a very tough assignment. Richards is a high level defender and a good ball handler who does not make many mistakes, and she can really rebound. Smith is a PF or SF either, and Bickle is going to have a hard time finding minutes this year and possibly next, as well. Trinity Oliver is another who fits that category.

These are all fine players and capable of becoming assets, but to play at this level a player needs to be good at defending and have some skill that is needed for specific situations, whether shooting, rebounding, or assisting. Above all, they must not be detrimental by turning the ball over, and frosh players are often not ready for that kind of responsibility.
ladybears4eva
I suspect that a full recovery from their injuries would really help their learning process to the college game intensity
Chibears2
No doubt. But the greatest drawback right now is adjusting to not being able to rely on God-given talent alone. That was good enough to get by in high school or AAU, in some cases.

I probably seem hard on these freshmen, but in fact, I hope and foresee them doing really well. It's just college is a total adjustment. I remember the first C I got in college and what a disappointment it was for me. I had managed to make it through high school with all A's and B's. I actually studied as a freshman. But it took awhile for me to realize that what constituted "studying" in high school wasn't going to cut it in college.

Same for these young ladies. From "being in shape" to "knowing the plays and concepts," everything is more intense. They will figure it out, or they will move on. I'm rooting for them to figure it out, and look forward to watching them contribute to beating UConn again next year in Connecticut!
bowdedg
We surely are spoiled, and boy, it's nice!! Years ago no one would be questioning why the freshman aren't playing. Since our advancement in recruiting, we are blessed to be able to even question why the girls aren't playing. However, we must never forget that they are still young freshman. They are thrown into a top program that is tough! Many girls out of high school lack defensive skills and are not in shape for the fast pace college game. As long as these girls give the coaching staff time to work with them, they will all see playing time in the future. Our future looks great, especially if Morris makes it back.
Big Bear
All of these young ladies, Smith, Egbo, DeCosta, etc. face a big change leaving a HS program and coming to a college program and especially a BU. It is one thing to learn both the offense and defense but the social adjustments and other aspects of college life. It is very demanding. Talent wise the difference between these 6, yes 6, Trinity is a freshman, is minimal. The difference now is the rate of development. Defense is special with Kim. It is unique. Defense is more heart and devotion vs offense. Each one come in here wanting to score. None come with the desire that Kim demands. Smith came here more equipped both physically and college ready than the others. She has a tremendous skillset. Egbo's skillset was very lacking and has been developing slowly. The Tech game was probably her turning point. Not just in numbers but in control. She only forced her actions one time in this game. She must play with more control. Go back and look how many times on offense where she forced the action and either lost the ball, got tied-up or had a turnover. It is one thing to finally KNOW the offense but it is another to understand why the offense is what it is. You just cannot run through an offense. You must know why each part is there. It must become natural, automatic without a lot of thought leading to a common goal. The other four players are still not there with each being in different stages of this understanding. The least of the group is Bickle but she WILL get there along with the other 3. Why are expecting these girls to do so much. How many freshmen in the past have started or even played any amount of minutes, not many. I hope Egbo does digress after this game. Be patient. You know someone else has already told you that..Kim!
GarlandBear84
Did you mean to say you hope Egbo doesn't digress? It helps readability when you break into paragraphs.
Big Bear
Yes. My apologies.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Both are coming back from injury and adjusting to the game speed.

DeCosta does things nobody else on the team can do athletically. She's special. Honesty will slow down the game and get better off the ball and with the dribble. She's pressing and you can see how she's trying to push to score, but then carelessness happens. She'll be fine by the end of the season.

Both will get plenty of run before the tournament starts.
Big Bear
I agree totally, Brian.
BaylorBears_254
DeCosta had a foot injury right? That's not just some injury you come back from and dominate with.

The times I've seen her play, she looks like her foot is still bothering her.

As for Honesty, i think she'd be the perfect player next to a PG like Morris. She doesn't really fit with jackson and Landrum out there.

She'll come around
Scottdye
Where can I find the press conference for the Tech game?
LadyBears42
Oh hold up, come on now, let's be perfectly clear here..without Scott-Grayson on the floor this team is averaging double figure turnovers. She is the least of our worries in turning the ball over. Jackson and a few others have been turning the ball over faithfully, but she (Jackson) obviously has a longer leash. Scott-Grayson is a great player and has had 2 break out games so far...1 leading the team in scoring (player of the game) and another where she was second in leading the team. It's just not emphasized as much as the other girls success thus far. Scott-Grayson can compete, it just looks like she's been handed a short leash this year. She has been playing with and against the Elite of the Elite since day one, she knows how to adjust and adjust quickly. In watching her play, it just looks like she's overthinking things right now. Once she gets past that, she will be perfectly fine. Tough competition is nothing new to this kid. The lack luster comment, I have to disagree...She is a competitor who is just waiting for the opportunity to be able to play through her mistakes like the others. Lets be Honest, there is no perfect player on any team.
LadyBears42
These girls didn't go to Baylor thinking they were going to get by with just there "God Given Talent"..smh. They are very smart and know the game, I'm sure of that. Their simply adjusting to a new environment...coaches, players, positions (especially Scott-Grayson, their teaching her two positions which is not easy at this level for any player) etc. More importantly, they both came in with injuries that they CLEARLY are trying to heal and play through.
Chibears2
Appreciate your sharing your opinion. Certainly as valid as mine.

But if you don't think Honesty's turnovers aren't contributing to her inability to get more playing time, we'll have to disagree.

And I have heard Kim, herself, comment that incoming freshmen often have to figure out that their talent alone won't get them by in college like high school, so if i'm wrong about that, so is Coach Mulkey.

And your reminder about playing with injuries is fair, but the injuries were not new when Coach Mulkey gave her call out postgame interview.

As to some of my other comments, probably should have kept them to myself, especially the ones naming specific players, though oftentimes they are just observationns from the game, nothing more. As I said, appreciate your viewpoint. I am certainly not correct all the time and balance is good.

Valkyrie
Remember what Moon looked like last year, a great athlete but simply a little lost. This year she is a viable off the bench payer and may even get some point minutes. Let the freshmen be freshmen and develop.
Chibears2
First, let me state clearly (and this is NOT a backtrack) that I have the utmost respect and admiration for ANY athlete playing high level competition, especially Division I. As long as they are doing the right things on or off the court, they are deserving of that, even those on teams I do not root for. And for these freshmen to have chosen to play for a demanding coach like Kim Mulkey, they obviously have the desire to be challenged and improve their game.

Secondly, I have always said, when speaking about athletes in college, that their greatest leap in both the mental and physical aspects of the game take place between freshmen and sophomore years. That will be true for this group, as well. What they will be, is not what they are

Thirdly, it is important that my comments be read in the context of the whole thread. What probably appears to be harsh statements about getting it or leaving were made in response to people posting asking why so and so wasn't playing more or intimations that these athletes might be unhappy with playing time and leave or were being treated unfairly by coaching staff. Coaches want to win. Coaches make decisions based on what gives them the best chance to do so.

Lstly, I made a comment about whether Honesty seemed to care when she messed up or not. That was a stupid remark that I almost immediately regretted, as I am way too far removed from events and have no interaction with the player herself to make that kind of statement. I tried to back pedal with my next comment, but should have just erased it. Sometimes the internet brings out the stupid in people, and it did in me in that instance. It should not go unnoticed, I meant what I said when I stated I fully expect this class to mature and improve and be fun to watch the next few years.

LadyBears42
No, what I'm saying is that she (Scott-Grayson) is not on the floor enough to contribute to the double digit turnovers WE average as a TEAM. That average generates from the guards that are actually playing. When she (Scott-Grayson) does get in, she is just overthinking (that's what Mulk is trying to break her out of), nothing more nothing less. She's learning two positions and when she gets out there, you can clearly see she's overthinking. Again, she'll be fine once she can play through a lot of the things others are able to play through.
And also, regarding the "God Given Talent" comment...what I'm saying is...No one believes they can come to top ten program and be successful solely off of their talent. Everyone knows that in any sport they play. Every system is different and they know they need to learn it. These girls are SMART enough to know their talent isn't enough and didn't come here thinking that, that's what I'm trying to say.
Thanks for your input as well, prayerfully it can motivate the girls however, Scott-Grayson and the rest of them will be fine with time. As they are all working hard everyday to perfect the mistakes they are making in these games.
Big Bear
LB42, I Agree with you about Honesty. I saw in both all-star games, in practice and games with us and she will be our next point if Morris does not return next year or if we do not get a transfer. Honesty has the skills but putting them together with what Kim expects on the court is another. She has not made the total transition from HS. Defense is not quite there yet. Turnovers per minute played is too high but Kim always gives her point some lack. She needs to perform in practice on daily basis. Don't bring it in practice means pine time not prime time. She will get there.
GarlandBear84
Let's look at stats compiled in another thread on this board to convert to a 40-minute basis as of 1/4/19.

TURNOVERS
0.9 - Aquira DeCosta
1.4 - Trinity Oliver
2.0 - Lauren Cox
2.2 - Moon Ursin
2.3 - Juicy Landrum
2.4 - NaLyssa Smith
2.8 - Didi Richards
3.1 - Kalani Brown
3.4 - Chloe Jackson
4.0 - Caitlin Bickle
4.5 - Queen Egbo
6.0 - Honesty Scott-Grayson

By far Honesty is turning it over more than anyone.
Lone Star
This thread is speculative and silly. To think in only 11-12 games we are commenting on the abilities of certain players at the highest level of college basketball is absurd.

I remember watching LC just 2 years ago and how rough (awkward) she looked as a freshman. Her footwork and defensive skills were maybe above average at the time. I think she averaged 10-15 mins per game as a freshman, which was pretty good but, you could still see how she needed to develop. Well, fast forward to now and we see how she developed AFTER (and through) her freshman year and, because of that hard work and development in her defensive footwork, she has become one of the best defensive bigs in the country.

So, for us as fans to comment on the negatives rather then the developmental positives of all our freshman recruits, is frustrating for me to read. I am 100% for Kim calling out ALL of her players, (bench and starters) even Kalani and LC after Stanford, (it's called coaching). So, let's see how the next 20-plus games this season go for the freshman and, how they respond to Kim's coaching. My bet is that they will do great.
GarlandBear84
No problem with your take, Lonestar, but when people question why certain freshmen aren't playing more this thread has explained it. I don't think any of us are saying anyone won't turn out to be a good player at this level.
setshot
We have two seniors, two juniors, and one sophomore in the starting lineup and playing most of the minutes against the tougher teams on the schedule, with the two frosh interior players as the likeliest players to get on the floor for significant minutes. Neither Landrum nor Jackson come off the floor for lengthy periods, almost not at all against the stronger opponents, until the game is fully secured. I think that Coach Mulkeys obvious disappointment about the way the second unit performed against Tech speaks to the issues we are discussing here.

No one is suggesting that these young players are not talented and that they should be judged with finality. Quite the contrary; these players have talent and they are all capable of steady improvement. Both of the interior players, Smith and particularly Egbo, have shown steady progress, and minor injuries have played a role in slowing some of the others.

What is normal in the development of frosh players in almost any sport is inconsistency and some degree of discomfort in terms of defensive assignments and a lack of familiarity with the offensive schemes. This is even more difficult when it involves perimeter players charged with ball handling and creating shooting opportunities, both for themselves and for their teammates. We saw that with Ursin and Landrum, and as noted above, even Cox struggled her first year, something that was a surprise to anyone who had seen her play in her high school years.

It is rare that a player can make the transition from one level to another in basketball without going through this period of adjustment. The fact that NaLyssa Smith has done so is extraordinary and speaks to just how unique her understanding of the game is for one so young. She is not the norm, but most of her incoming class are very much so. Pointing that out is by no means demeaning them. Their talent level is much higher than their understanding of their role, and that is the usual dilemma that young players must deal with once they move to the next level of play. Things that worked for them before now become less successful and that can be confusing and a challenge to adjust to the new reality.

It is also one of the problems of having six talented frosh players coming into the program at one time. That is forty percent of the roster vying for playing time and there are not enough minutes for everyone once the preconference schedule is done. The rivalries within the conference are much more difficult to deal with and the level of intensity involved is very different, as the younger players discovered out at Lubbock. This is the "new normal" that requires a different response than the ones which they formerly employed, and that is the learning experience that Mulkey tries to address in the practices and which she holds them to when they are representing Baylor on the floor of play.

She wants them to play hard and to play smart, and for young players in the early stages of development hard is easier than smart. The harder and faster that they play the more likely they are to get beyond their level of understanding and to fail the "smart test." That is always the problem for bench players trying to make their limited minutes meaningful and successful. It is amazing what a quantum leap a player often makes with a year or two of experience.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.