Decosta and Scott-Grason

10,970 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by willtalk
LadyBears42
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No way she's (Scott-Grayson) turning the ball over more than anyone on that team. You can compile all the inaccurate states based off of no playing time all you want. The kid doesn't play, the players actually on the court playing triple the amount of minutes Scott-Grayson plays are averaging 15 turnovers a game, so nice try but failure to say the least. When she is consistently playing 30-40 minutes a game then put her stats up here but until then....NICE TRY.
Big Bear
LadyBears42, you are correct. Players with limited time in games compared to those with more time is not an accurate way of predicting a complete game probability. It is simply an arithmetical calculation. She would not make that many TOs in 32-35 min. tour. She will make a terrific point if Kim uses her at that position.
Bone Squad
Whether her stats with little playing time would extrapolate to a hypothetical game with more playing time is an interesting thought experiment, but doesn't do much to answer the original question asked in this thread: WHY is she not being used more?

I think what GarlandBear and others are trying to say is that, up to this point, Honesty's production has not met the standard Coach Mulkey requires of her, or at least not when being considered against more seasoned players. I will add my educated guess that what Mulkey is seeing in practice from her versus the other options at guard is the primary factor in determining play time.

Nothing about this speaks to Honesty's talent or potential. It speaks to the fact that she is a freshman, and that's it. She'll get more comfortable, and she'll improve what needs to be improved. In the meantime, we've got some ladies who have had a longer time to master the learning curve, which is why they are seeing the court more right now. Time is on Honesty's side, and I have no reason to think she will not make herself a valuable asset to this team as opportunities continue to present themselves.
GarlandBear84
You must be related to her. Go read the thread with the stats converted to a full game. It is not perfect, but it does say a lot.

This means if you take her turnovers per minute she actually played and extrapolate to a full game she would have six turnovers per game. Perhaps she would settle into the game and do better, but to earn more time players must impress Kim that they're ready by doing well when they play.
Chibears2
The problem is, Coach doesn't tolerate turnovers much. And if she's basically said, when you get your shot, don't do negative things, do positive things, then turning the ball over in limited action isn't going to gain you more playing time. Fair or not fair, it just isn't. Others may be turning the ball over more based on playing time, but for some reason, they have gained the coach's trust already, though I would think we have all seen Coach take out starters/upper classmen when they have gotten her ire for sloppy turnovers.

I always pick a freshman to be my "favorite" to root for. It just sort of occurs organically and is not really based, per se, on performance but sometimes what I perceive as personality or effort. Last year it was Trinity, and sadly, she got hurt. This year, it was actually Honesty, and I am all in rooting for her. But I can be pulling for her and still have the opinion she is not going to see significantly more playing time without demonstrating she can take care of the ball better.

That is my opinion, and certainly it can be wrong. Won't be the first or last time. But it is based on watching every one of the games, paying attention to her play because she was my chosen favorite, and the turnover rate mentioned in an earlier post. At the D I level, you earn time by producing on the court, even in limited minutes. Smith has done it; I think Queen has probably done it; I think Honesty can and likely WILL do it. I'm pulling for her. But I can understand why that extra playing time hasn't happened yet...

It is obvious you are a big fan, and that's a good thing, not a bad thing. She is lucky to have you on her side. I don't like getting in threads where people with opposing viewpoints just keep going back and forth trying to get last word, so I will respectfully retire from this thread.

Go Lady Bears! Sic KSU,
LadyBears42
Solely to answer your question and I'm done, No, I'm not related to Scott-Grayson. However, I am a relative of a pro ball player and a huge fan of the Lady Bears going back to BG and OS days. I just appreciate the fact that the kids on this roster chose Baylor, and I will defend anyone of them. Especially when people are posting inaccurate information and/or making inaccurate assumptions.

These kids haven't even been on campus a full year yet and you guys are going on on them. It's absolutely sad to say the least.

People contradict themselves so much in this game it's ridiculous. In one breath their saying, "oh freshman shouldn't expect a lot of playing time their first year" and then in the same breath, "oh why aren't the freshman playing"....Duuughh, they have a lot of learning and developing to do. Not only that, CLEARLY her and DeCosta are recovering from injuries, Scott-Grayson VISIBLY still wearing a brace. Yet you get on here talking about oh they this, they that. Smh

Our focus needs to be on the players that are 100% healthy and turning the ball over, the ones actually playing. Especially if the plan is to win a NC.
Casual Observer
Unless I missed someone, Scott-Grayson was not on the bench tonight.
DanaDane
Every Spring and Summer, all you have to do is peruse the WBB forum and chuckle at the grandiose expectations some of our fans have over incoming freshmen. Those expectations evidence a warm heart for Lady Bear basketball but at the same time display a hole in their historical knowledge of WBB. I can only surmise it comes from seeing a successful once or twice a decade freshman recruit like Griner or Sims, who are the overwhelming exception to the fact freshmen are not significant contributors for most big programs. Never have been. Many see MBB and all the 1-and dones and expect top women recruits to be ready to start the 1st semester they are in college. That is rarely the case.

Watch 1 Lady Bear workout and it quickly becomes evident Smith was much more ready to contribute faster than any of the other signees, particularly for someone as demanding as Kim. The others will be fine in time if they remain patient and continue working hard to grasp Kim's principles.
UBBY
setshot said:

I am not sure yet that DeCosta is ready for a lot of playing time at this level. She played meaningful minutes at Stanford, but except for a three point shot, made on her first attempt but not close on the next two), she did not do much that was noteworthy, and she was not up on her assignment and gave up a critical three pointer that slowed our comeback effort to a crawl. She played a zone in high school and is still learning how to play defense at this level. I think that she is a fine prospect, but I would be surprised to see her play major minutes except in "clear up, garbage time." It did surprise me to see that she did not get into the game until the very last minute, however.

Grayson does not appear to me to have a position right now. When Jackson is off the floor, Landrum is likely to move to the PG position, and if Morris returns next year she will move back to that slot, and we know her capabilities. Grayson is a nice shooter, and I think has some good skills, but right now she is struggling to find a role and to fill it. Her propensity for turning the ball over can be overcome (Landrum and Ursin both had this problem as frosh players), but Jordyn Oliver arrives next year and I suspect that she will be on the floor quite a bit.

Bickle is a tough, gritty player, but she, too, is facing a very tough assignment. Richards is a high level defender and a good ball handler who does not make many mistakes, and she can really rebound. Smith is a PF or SF either, and Bickle is going to have a hard time finding minutes this year and possibly next, as well. Trinity Oliver is another who fits that category.

These are all fine players and capable of becoming assets, but to play at this level a player needs to be good at defending and have some skill that is needed for specific situations, whether shooting, rebounding, or assisting. Above all, they must not be detrimental by turning the ball over, and frosh players are often not ready for that kind of responsibility.
Is this still a realistic possibility?
setshot
UBBY, I wrote that before the word came down that Morris was not going to be a Bear next year. It now appears that time has expired on her time at Baylor and I truly regret that, no matter the reason. I thought that she needed Baylor and the Lady Bear program at least as much as they needed her, if not more. A real waste.
UBBY
setshot said:

UBBY, I wrote that before the word came down that Morris was not going to be a Bear next year. It now appears that time has expired on her time at Baylor and I truly regret that, no matter the reason. I thought that she needed Baylor and the Lady Bear program at least as much as they needed her, if not more. A real waste.
Damn. Sad to see these young kids struggling to get their life together. Danielle Wilson was another one.
setshot
Good call on Wilson. I have often wondered what the Lady Bears could have done with both Wilson and Griner in the lineup. That would have been something to see.
Lion82
Never has the term "don't count your chickens before they hatch" been more applicable than when dealing with women's college sports.
WNIT in '23
Bone Squad
Lion82 said:

Never has the term "don't count your chickens before they hatch" been more applicable than when dealing with women's college sports.
Not even in chicken farming?
geewago
Bone Squad said:

Lion82 said:

Not even in chicken farming?
In chicken farming you can't even count your chickens after they hatch. Everything but the rabbit eats em up.
zt1014
I haven't seen Honesty in any of the teams social media stuff since before KState game. Was she confirmed sick?
slimecap
UBBY said:

Damn. Sad to see these young kids struggling to get their life together. Danielle Wilson was another one.
March 10, 2013

"Danielle Wilson played college basketball at Baylor for three years, averaging 11.0 points and 6.9 rebounds with a then-school-record 201 blocked shots before leaving after the 2008-09 season to raise her son.

But Wilson, Newsday's 2006 player of the year from St. John the Baptist, wanted to finish what she started. Now the 6-3 forward is a star all over again at Dowling.

She is the East Coast Conference player of the year, and on Sunday she helped the Golden Lions win the conference title and earn an automatic bid to the NCAA Division II Tournament. Wilson had 27 points, 15 rebounds, five blocks and two steals in Dowling's 72-49 victory over NYIT in the title game. She had 16 points in the first half as Dowling (25-3) took a 38-21 lead.

Dowling became a good fit for Wilson because the school is close to her home in Bay Shore.

"The first thing was, I had to take care of my son," she said of Kingsley, now 3. "I wanted to be close to home, have that support with my family.''

Dowling coach Joe Pellicane and athletic director Rick Cole Jr. were impressed with Wilson's desire to earn a degree in communications.

"I don't think we have the philosophy here of just picking up players for the sake of winning,'' Cole said. "She's a terrific woman. The gravy is she's just an outstanding basketball player.''

"We didn't know what she was going to bring to the table,'' Simmons said. "She's helped us out a lot. Offense and defense, she does it all.''

Wilson, averaging 17.0 points and 10.6 rebounds with 81 blocked shots, also works part-time at Sears and has uniform laundry duties along with the rest of her teammates.

"She's never said she's from the big time or expects anything,'' Pellicane said.

Wilson, whose blocked-shot total has been surpassed by 6-8 Brittney Griner, does not miss the brighter light of Division I.

Of her experiences since then, she said, "I learned a lot and I grew up a lot. It made me stronger.''

- Steven Marcus, Newsday
Malbec
slimecap said:

UBBY said:

March 10, 2013

"Danielle Wilson played college basketball at Baylor for three years, averaging 11.0 points and 6.9 rebounds with a then-school-record 201 blocked shots before leaving after the 2008-09 season to raise her son.

But Wilson, Newsday's 2006 player of the year from St. John the Baptist, wanted to finish what she started. Now the 6-3 forward is a star all over again at Dowling.

She is the East Coast Conference player of the year, and on Sunday she helped the Golden Lions win the conference title and earn an automatic bid to the NCAA Division II Tournament. Wilson had 27 points, 15 rebounds, five blocks and two steals in Dowling's 72-49 victory over NYIT in the title game. She had 16 points in the first half as Dowling (25-3) took a 38-21 lead.

Dowling became a good fit for Wilson because the school is close to her home in Bay Shore.

"The first thing was, I had to take care of my son," she said of Kingsley, now 3. "I wanted to be close to home, have that support with my family.''

Dowling coach Joe Pellicane and athletic director Rick Cole Jr. were impressed with Wilson's desire to earn a degree in communications.

"I don't think we have the philosophy here of just picking up players for the sake of winning,'' Cole said. "She's a terrific woman. The gravy is she's just an outstanding basketball player.''

"We didn't know what she was going to bring to the table,'' Simmons said. "She's helped us out a lot. Offense and defense, she does it all.''

Wilson, averaging 17.0 points and 10.6 rebounds with 81 blocked shots, also works part-time at Sears and has uniform laundry duties along with the rest of her teammates.

"She's never said she's from the big time or expects anything,'' Pellicane said.

Wilson, whose blocked-shot total has been surpassed by 6-8 Brittney Griner, does not miss the brighter light of Division I.

Of her experiences since then, she said, "I learned a lot and I grew up a lot. It made me stronger.''

- Steven Marcus, Newsday

Interestingly, Dowling College went bankrupt and closed in 2016.
LadyBears42
Its been confirmed that Scott-Grayson has been sick.
zt1014
Thank you!!!
roadrunner
Honesty attended the TCU game but did not participate in pre-game warm ups.
setshot
I know how she must feel, as surely many on this board must. It is torture to have an injury or a sickness that puts you on the sidelines when you want so much to be out there playing. I hope that she comes back with a renewed determination to find her groove and rhythm and perform to her considerable capability.
GoldenBear
Honesty missed the last two games because of illness. She suited up for tcwho, but was to sit this one out as well. Hopefully, she is on the mend and will be able to return to full time action next game.
GarlandBear84
It looks like those outside our top eight won't play more than a minute or two in most remaining games. Kim likes to win by 30+. Today she put Kalani and Lauren back in with a few minutes remaining after the lead slipped down to 24 or so and didn't empty the bench until the last minute.
zt1014
Also, good for conditioning so when they do have to play many minutes. The better shape they are in come March will pay off.
ladybears4eva
I can't to see them both healthy and more mature. It's going to be good
ladybears4eva
For the last five games last year, cox n brown were burnt out... we needed smith n Egbo.
slimecap

Honesty Scott-Grayson #4 is fouled going to the basket
Feb 2, 2019
willtalk
In respect to DeCosta, she is being transitioned from an in the paint player to the parameter where she has to adjust both on offense and defense. This makes her early injury negatively more impactful. She could not afford to miss any time. Had she stayed at a forward position she would be farther along and probably would have had a quicker impact. Mulkey transitioning her is in the long term best interests of both Aquira and the team. She has the ball handling skills speed and quickness of a guard, just not the experience. Remember she represented the USA in the skills competition and finished 3rd at the 3x3. She was picked over Christine Williams who was also on the team.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.