Story Poster
Photo by © Mark D. Smith-USA Today
Baylor Women's Basketball

Ten Thoughts: Lady Bears vs. Cal

March 25, 2019

This is a usual article done for football, but will try to finish after every game going forward for the Lady Bears.

1. I mentioned in the preview of making Kristine Anigwe play an entire game. Cox and Brown made her defend and frustrated her on both ends of the court.
  2. Anigwe had a double-double in every game this season and then 13 and 5 tonight. 
  3. Didi Richards has found her role on defense and now as a cutter with Brown or Cox in the high post out of a double or triple team.
  4. Juicy being this hot will lead the team to Tampa and another ring.
  5. Chloe having the baseline jumper open punishes teams trying to pack the paint.
  6. Cal tried to be physical, but couldn’t keep it up with foul trouble.
  7. Baylor had fresh legs and took off with defensive intensity in the second quarter.
  8. The 20-2 run in the second quarter crushed Cal’s spirit.
  9. Great to see Nalyssa Smith have a strong game in the tournament.
  10. Last Big 12 team standing.
Discussion from...

Ten Thoughts: Lady Bears vs. Cal

16,801 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ladybears4eva
Polarbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal was extremely aggressive and physical in the 1st Quarter, and I'm really grateful they were. That 1Q was intense, with bodies banging and scrapping and diving for loose balls. Cal was excellent at blocking out for rebounds; there were several possessions when they had 3 or more of our players firmly blocked out from crashing the offensive boards. A few things:
a) We really need officials to call fouls in our games to keep it clean. I don't think the officials in the Cal game were perfect, but they did respond to the overaggressive play and cleaned it up with foul calls, especially in the 1st half. Everyone remembers Griner getting swarmed and assaulted by Louisville in 2013, and with the double teams Kalani and Lauren are sure to see in this tourney, we'll see even more physical play as we advance. We need the refs to keep it honest.
b) The intensity and emotion of the 1Q on Monday night is the kind of intensity and emotion we should expect in a Final Four game. I've been a little concerned that our Conference games didn't give us enough of that high intensity level. Cal brought it, which was wonderful, and we responded. We can't allow a team to catch us flat footed, which I think was a factor at Stanford in December.
c) We sometimes fail to block out for rebounds, It's especially noticeable with Kalani. I feel that often we rely on our size and athleticism to secure rebounds, and we forget about putting a butt into an opponent's midsection to create space and help our effort. Cal was fantastic at blocking out, at least in the 1st half when the game was still a contest, and it was a much needed reminder for us to clean up those fundamentals. They matter against the elite teams.
Thank you, Cal, for your effort on Monday, and for giving us those experiences which should help us down the road.
Polarbear
I've seen some criticism of the ESPN coverage, and especially the split screen "personality packages" of Mulkey's closet, Kalani's puppy, and Caldwell's analysis of Duke. I don't care if they do that stuff, but the problem is they cut into game coverage; it would be ok if they did it during a timeout. Here's other frustrations and things they missed:
a. In 1st half, Anigwe shot the ball from the elbow, and Kalani failed to block her out. It was a terrible mental lapse, and Anigwe charged freely into the rebound scrum. Cal earned the ball after it deflected off one of our players. Mulkey had a hilarious meltdown yelling at Kalani, and they even showed a replay which highlighted her mental lapse, but Pam Ward and Carolyn Peck both talked about Anigwe's effort and missed the real story on the play, which was Kalani's fundamental lapse.
b. In 1st half, Chloe made an entry pass to Lauren on the post. The Cal defender blatantly hooked Lauren's left arm to prevent her from making the catch, and the ball went straight out of bounds. Ward and Peck missed the uncalled foul, and framed it as a bad pass.
c. Several times during the game, we had Freshmen on the floor who competed toe to toe with All American Kristine Anigwe. NaLyssa, Queen, and Aquira all were competing evenly with Anigwe, and they even outrebounded the top rebounder in the nation. That production from our Freshmen was a story worth highlighting, but they missed it.
d. They cut away when Kalani and Chloe were removed from the game and received an emotional standing ovation from the crowd in their last home game ever at Ferrell. If ESPN wanted to create emotional moments, that one was far more compelling that Mulkey's closet or Kalani's puppy, but we missed it.

I hope they're better on Saturday.
57Bear
Polarbear said:

d. They cut away when Kalani and Chloe were removed from the game and received an emotional standing ovation from the crowd in their last home game ever at Ferrell. If ESPN wanted to create emotional moments, that one was far more compelling that Mulkey's closet or Kalani's puppy, but we missed it.

Coverage is on the YouTube version of the game posted by Historian (at 59:28 minutes)
https://sicem365.com/s/4242/ten-thoughts-lady-bears-vs-cal/4/1

ScottS
I didn't miss it since I was at the game
historian
Polarbear said:

I've seen some criticism of the ESPN coverage, and especially the split screen "personality packages" of Mulkey's closet, Kalani's puppy, and Caldwell's analysis of Duke. I don't care if they do that stuff, but the problem is they cut into game coverage; it would be ok if they did it during a timeout. Here's other frustrations and things they missed:
a. In 1st half, Anigwe shot the ball from the elbow, and Kalani failed to block her out. It was a terrible mental lapse, and Anigwe charged freely into the rebound scrum. Cal earned the ball after it deflected off one of our players. Mulkey had a hilarious meltdown yelling at Kalani, and they even showed a replay which highlighted her mental lapse, but Pam Ward and Carolyn Peck both talked about Anigwe's effort and missed the real story on the play, which was Kalani's fundamental lapse.
b. In 1st half, Chloe made an entry pass to Lauren on the post. The Cal defender blatantly hooked Lauren's left arm to prevent her from making the catch, and the ball went straight out of bounds. Ward and Peck missed the uncalled foul, and framed it as a bad pass.
c. Several times during the game, we had Freshmen on the floor who competed toe to toe with All American Kristine Anigwe. NaLyssa, Queen, and Aquira all were competing evenly with Anigwe, and they even outrebounded the top rebounder in the nation. That production from our Freshmen was a story worth highlighting, but they missed it.

I hope they're better on Saturday.

Agreed. I missed the hook but I am not surprised. I've seen several games this year in which the officials made some terrible calls--often at Baylor's expense (men & women), but not always.

I, too, espn does better Saturday but I'm not optimistic. They are so much of a joke. I really wish there were better options. Too bad Fox does not have a Big 12 network to eliminate most of that stuff. They are rotten with the football games too (the Cactus Bowl is cringe worthy for 3 hours).

I look forward to what our Freshmen will do in the next few years. This is a great team capable of finishing strong this year. They have the potential to be better next year.
RSBear
Brenda Van Lengen and Ron Thulin are about the best broadcast team in the business. The Big Twelve would be wise to have a network with Fox.
ladybears4eva
Love it. Thank u!!!!!!!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.