Story Poster
Photo by © Kim Klement/© Jasen Vinlove-USA TODAY Sports
Baylor Women's Basketball

Ten Things: NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

April 7, 2019

Baylor and Notre Dame squared off the for National Championship and here are the ten things:

1. Baylor guards came to play early, Juicy and Chloe kept Notre Dame honest on defense
  2. Too many offensive boards given up in the 1st half by Baylor
  3. Chloe Jackson is on fire!
  4. Scary moment when Kalani went to the bench early, thankful for only a cramp
  5. Cox and Didi, don’t try them in the 1st half
  6. Arike is a bull with the ball
  7. Prayers to Lauren Cox and her family
  8. Chloe Jackson is colder than ice cold
  9. NaLyssa Smith is going to be so good
  10. NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!!

Discussion from...

Ten Things: NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

6,464 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by LadyChickBear
SoFloBear2020
How long do you want to ignore this user?
*clears throat*

YERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
GarlandBear84
All season my fear was that our opponent would hit a high % of treys, we would miss FTs, or we would suffer a key injury. Well, tonight ND hit 7-13 treys, we only made 2-7 FTs due to KB missing four straight, and LC went down. Somehow, we are still the NATIONAL CHAMPS!!!
bubbadog
My takeaways, in no particular order.

1. Chloe Jackson was the outstanding player of the game. Think how hard that in a game that features four All-Americans (and she's not one of them). Also think about the difference in how Chloe and the ND guard whose name I can't spell finished the game. Chloe cooled off in the 4th but then hit our last two baskets. In the final 3 minutes, Chloe made both her FG attempts. During that same span, Arike missed both of her FG attempts, committed a turnover, and then missed the FT they needed for a chance to tie.

2. Lauren didn't have that big a night (for her) statistically, even considering she missed the last 11 minutes. Even so, she controlled the game while she was in it. That's how good she is. Many here have said we win by double digits if she remains in the game. I agree.

3. ND is the most complete team we faced. Not the best player (that would be Ionescu) but the most complete team. Lack of depth was their only weakness. Comebacks like the one they made tonight are their trademark and are to be expected from them. Miss. St. had them beat last year and couldn't hold them off. UConn had them beat Friday night and couldn't hold them off. Baylor held them off even with Cox's injury, with Smith fouling out and with Didi having to leave the game at a key time down the stretch when she landed on that hip. That we did what those other teams couldn't says something.

4. Kalani Brown did again tonight what Kalani Brown does. She has great soft hand when she receives the entry pass, and if she gets both hands on a rebound you are not going to take it away from her. She's so good and so consistent that we almost take her for granted sometimes. We will sure miss her.

5. I savor to think how good NaLyssa Smith is going to be next year and the year after and the year after that. She probably could have averaged 15 ppg this year as a starter. That's how skilled she is offensively. Now wait until Kim and staff have a chance to get her defense up to the level of her offense.

6. Now think how much better Didi will be as a junior and senior.
"Free your ass and your mind will follow." -- George Clinton
Dcheetah
It was a 1score game with 8 and a half minutes left yet we held them off with:
Didi and Chloe both with 4 fouls
No LC
The 15-0 second half free throw differential favoring ND - they were also in the bonus with 6plus minutes left in the game
Kalani only taking 2-3 more shots in the game
Juicy not being at the top of her 3 pt game despite several good looks.

Our D and maybe some late game fatigue on their part as well as Nylyssa, Chloe played a huge part in our victory.
bubbadog
Dcheetah said:

It was a 1score game with 8 and a half minutes left yet we held them off with:
Didi and Chloe both with 4 fouls
No LC
The 15-0 second half free throw differential favoring ND - they were also in the bonus with 6plus minutes left in the game
Kalani only taking 2-3 more shots in the game
Juicy not being at the top of her 3 pt game despite several good looks.

Our D and maybe some late game fatigue on their part as well as Nylyssa, Chloe played a huge part in our victory.
Yeah, I have to suspect that fatigue played a factor, especially as they missed shots in the last two minutes.

We only played 7, but our depth was better. They could not have withstood having to give their bench the kind of minutes we gave to NaLyssa Smith because Kalani went out with a brief injury and then Lauren was lost for the entire last quarter. Instead, NaLyssa comes in and and scores as many in Q4 as Lauren got for the whole game. And while she can't play defense the way Lauren can, NaLyssa did get a couple of blocks, including one that started a fast break the other way.
"Free your ass and your mind will follow." -- George Clinton
LadyChickBear
bubbadog said:

My takeaways, in no particular order.

1. Chloe Jackson was the outstanding player of the game. Think how hard that in a game that features four All-Americans (and she's not one of them). Also think about the difference in how Chloe and the ND guard whose name I can't spell finished the game. Chloe cooled off in the 4th but then hit our last two baskets. In the final 3 minutes, Chloe made both her FG attempts. During that same span, Arike missed both of her FG attempts, committed a turnover, and then missed the FT they needed for a chance to tie.

2. Lauren didn't have that big a night (for her) statistically, even considering she missed the last 11 minutes. Even so, she controlled the game while she was in it. That's how good she is. Many here have said we win by double digits if she remains in the game. I agree.

3. ND is the most complete team we faced. Not the best player (that would be Ionescu) but the most complete team. Lack of depth was their only weakness. Comebacks like the one they made tonight are their trademark and are to be expected from them. Miss. St. had them beat last year and couldn't hold them off. UConn had them beat Friday night and couldn't hold them off. Baylor held them off even with Cox's injury, with Smith fouling out and with Didi having to leave the game at a key time down the stretch when she landed on that hip. That we did what those other teams couldn't says something.

4. Kalani Brown did again tonight what Kalani Brown does. She has great soft hand when she receives the entry pass, and if she gets both hands on a rebound you are not going to take it away from her. She's so good and so consistent that we almost take her for granted sometimes. We will sure miss her.

5. I savor to think how good NaLyssa Smith is going to be next year and the year after and the year after that. She probably could have averaged 15 ppg this year as a starter. That's how skilled she is offensively. Now wait until Kim and staff have a chance to get her defense up to the level of her offense.

6. Now think how much better Didi will be as a junior and senior.
Well said!! Amen!!! #3 makes me smile big time!! Well, 4 and 5, too. Really all 5 of them, but I love the fact that we pulled together and conquered in those very tough circumstances. They really do imitate their coach!!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.