USA Olympic WBB team...

11,185 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by slimecap
Dcheetah
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Will be playing exhibition Bball games against some of the top College Wbb teams this summer. NCAA has okayed games with no risk for eligibility issues. Does anyone know if we are participating? This would give our ladies a chance to test themselves against the best in the WBNA. I sure hope we take advantage of this opportunity.
Chibears2
We did this once before. It would be fun, but I suspect this is the type of event where not having direct flights in and out of Waco hurt.
gone to Tickfaw
Be a great opp to retire 42 in front of a packed house. But USA might be worried they'd lose
geewago
I'm agin it.

If the Mens BB played the NBA All Stars wouldn't you expect a slaughter?

If the Mens FB team played the NFL All Stars.....Talk about mass destruction....I mean Geezus they lost to Liberty.

So pit the Lady Bears against a USA Olympic team??? What good would a humiliation like that do ?
Chibears2
I think there is no doubt we would get beaten, but the last time we did this, the Lady Bears held their own for a half. Their ability to hang with such stars, if even for only a half was mentioned as a confidence booster. It was entertaining, it brought great women's basketball players to Waco, which gave some local fans exposure to players up close and personal that they otherwise might not have gotten a chance to interact with, and it brought in a section of women's basketball viewership unfamiliar with our program (though I doubt that is the case now). It is a bit of a "prestige" event, and to have your program chosen is a sign of respect. And in general, anything that grows the women's game, is good for ALL levels of the sport. And I would say, there is a good deal of criticism on this board for our team not challenging themselves by scheduling cupcakes. You extend yourself by playing competition you don't KNOW you can defeat. Also remember, this current crop of Lady Bears grew up watching these older players and looking up to them. Think how meaningful it would be to them to be on the same court with some of their idols.

Now, that being said, not a big deal if we are not included, and certainly, helps avoid the ever present risk of injury.... Scheduling in the game has challenges, and the focus will mostly be on National team and not Lady Bears. Not sure about the financial side of it either. You are correct in thinking there are valid reasons to avoid this matchup.
Dcheetah
Reportedly some teams of the past held their own although the USA team is 39-1 in thse games. What a chance for some of our young ladies to test themselves against the best in the game: B, T Charles, Elena Delle Donne, Chiney, Sue Bird, Aja Wilson, D Tarausi, Kelsey Plum... Since our schedule is limited against truly Elite teams this year, this would be an amazing chance to find out where our weaknesses truly lie and address them without taking a loss that counts. This would also give BG another chance to play at home and hopefully be shown proper love and attention. I hope we play.
Chibears2
Yes, despite my last paragraph above, I hope we are able and willing to get in the rotation, as well. And excellent point about Griner getting opportunity to come back.
slimecap
Dcheetah said:

This would also give BG another chance to play at home
Still waiting to see if Brittney Griner will be available for the tour.

July 27, 2019

"Minnesota's Sylvia Fowles, Washington's Elena Delle Donne, Los Angeles' Nneka Ogwumike and Chelsea Gray, Las Vegas' A'ja Wilson, and Dallas' Skylar Diggins-Smith will join Diana Taurasi and Sue Bird on the tour and other players will be added to the roster as their schedules allow. The eight players will commit to being available for five training segments that will take place from November 2019 to April 2020."

Link
https://www.si.com/wnba/2019/07/27/sue-bird-diana-taurasi-team-usa-basketball-college-exhibiton-games-tokyo-olympics
Dcheetah
Whoops, Nneka not Chiney. Thanks Slimecap. Hope Brittany makes it if we do play this game.
slimecap
Chibears2 said:

I hope we are able and willing to get in the rotation
My concern is injuries to Baylor players.
DanaDane
No. No putting LC at chance for further injury for a silly exhibition game.
TechDawgMc
Dcheetah said:

Reportedly some teams of the past held their own although the USA team is 39-1 in thse games. What a chance for some of our young ladies to test themselves against the best in the game: B, T Charles, Elena Delle Donne, Chiney, Sue Bird, Aja Wilson, D Tarausi, Kelsey Plum... Since our schedule is limited against truly Elite teams this year, this would be an amazing chance to find out where our weaknesses truly lie and address them without taking a loss that counts. This would also give BG another chance to play at home and hopefully be shown proper love and attention. I hope we play.
Just as an example, La. Tech lost a close game to the USA team -- and basically only when one of their two best bigs fouled out. (this was back when every touch was a foul in women's basketball). It was really only depth that separated them.

Tech also beat Tennessee a few days after the Vols had gotten that one win against the USA team. So even though Tenn's win over the USA team is impressive, there wasn't that much separation between them and the rest of the top college teams.

Having said that, things have changed. The WNBA has had some years to develop and the separation between the college and pro games has become much more significant. A Team USA type team is now going to have much more of the feel of a super-all start team than just a collection of really good players.

I don't think we'd win, but I do think we could still keep it respectable and learn some things from the top talent.
Big Bear
I'm with you Slimecap. And, I am sure Kim is too.
Dcheetah
Were you against the Italy trip? There is a chance of injury in any game or practice or out of practice. What we learned and changed after the Stanford game on 3pt D I believe was necessary for us to get the championship. We need some high caliber opponents to let us know this teams weaknesses and let us address them before a one and done loss.
bawitdaball
Dcheetah said:

Were you against the Italy trip? There is a chance of injury in any game or practice or out of practice. What we learned and changed after the Stanford game on 3pt D I believe was necessary for us to get the championship. We need some high caliber opponents to let us know this teams weaknesses and let us address them before a one and done loss.
The difference between this and the Italy trip is that one is in the summer and one is in the middle of the season and is likely an added game within the conference schedule that would otherwise be used as an "off" or "bye" game. Those extra stretches of rest are needed to make a final push - if your body is already worn down you are more prone to injury, and in the middle of conference you don't have time to recover from even a small injury.
Dcheetah
That is helpful info. I thought I read these were summer games before the season. Definitely higher risk adding the game in season. Just wish we could play this game in lieu of some of our lower rated opponents. I do feel there are significant positives to be gained from playing this game and there are other high profile wbb programs that agree.
Meladee
Dcheetah said:

Agreed. I am concerned that we don't have enough competition for our team with our schedule.
Meladee
slimecap said:

Chibears2 said:

I hope we are able and willing to get in the rotation
My concern is injuries to Baylor players.

Also a valid point.
bawitdaball
Dcheetah said:

That is helpful info. I thought I read these were summer games before the season. Definitely higher risk adding the game in season. Just wish we could play this game in lieu of some of our lower rated opponents. I do feel there are significant positives to be gained from playing this game and there are other high profile wbb programs that agree.
All games will be scheduled between November and April - that way they don't interfere with the pro's WNBA schedule, works into the college schedule (hence the need for NCAA to allow it to happen), and coincides with the Olympic team's training schedule.
willtalk
It would also give college players the opportunity to show how well they would do against the best at the next level. I don't think it would hurt their draft level at all, It can only help it by a decent showing. Players usually sustain injuries playing against less athletic teams, not those that are more athletic. Usually, injuries occur against teams attempting to compensate for less talent with more aggression.
Eball
I am all for it! Would be great for our ladies! Hope we are included can't imagine we would not be.
slimecap
"Through a partnership with the WNBA and the NCAA, the USA National Team will have five training segments, two of which coincide with two competition windows that are part of FIBA's new qualification process. During these two windows (Nov. 10-18 and Feb. 2-10), the national team will play exhibitions against top college programs before participating in Olympic Pre-Qualifying and Olympic Qualifying tournaments. The national team also will play in the FIBA AmeriCup from Sept. 22-29 in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Playing exhibitions against NCAA teams
an announcement on that schedule is expected in mid-August"

- USA Basketball WBB website, 27 July 2019
Big Bear
No I was not. Poor comparison. Level of play of the other teams do not compare to USA team. Chance of injury are minimal and experience is valuable.
Wichitabear
Exactly
Dcheetah
Actually its an apt comparison and an additional chance of injury beyond our stated schedule. You also make willtalks point about playing less skilled players and the higher risk of injury. Anyway, doesn't matter. I was very in favor of the Italy trip and I hope they play this game.
slimecap
August 16, 2019

College games
"USA Basketball said it is still finalizing details with the participating schools."

- Alex Andrejev, Washington Post
slimecap
Sept 3, 2019

"The Seattle Storm today announced that point guard Sue Bird will miss the remainder of the 2019 WNBA regular season and playoffs. Bird has not appeared in a game since undergoing successful arthroscopic surgery on her left knee on May 30."

- WNBA Seattle Storm website
fredbear
Sue needs to hang it up in regard to the Olympic team and give younger, better players a chance. She gets a spot automatically and certainly could not earn in head to head. Grateful for her past leadership, but enough is enough.
TXtoCO
fredbear said:

Sue needs to hang it up in regard to the Olympic team and give younger, better players a chance. She gets a spot automatically and certainly could not earn in head to head. Grateful for her past leadership, but enough is enough.
Sue is injured but I don't know who is better at leading a team of talented players. She may not be the fastest or most talented, but nobody is better at leading a team. She is still the best PG in the world!

If another PG is going to take over my money is on Jordin Canada. That girl can flat out play!
slimecap
"The Oregon Ducks' most challenging game won't count in the standings. Team USA will play Oregon in an exhibition game Nov. 9 at Matthew Knight Arena, which is not part of the season ticket package.

"That's the big team," Head Coach Graves noted. "(Diana) Taurasi, (Elena) Delle Donne, Sue Bird, A'ja Wilson. That's going to be event. I would sure hope our fans will come out for that."

- Oregon WBB website, 26 Sept 2019
Dcheetah
Sure would love to see us test ourselves!
gone to Tickfaw
wish they'd come to Waco. Be a great opportunity to retires 42
slimecap

Nov 2 Stanford
Nov 4 Oregon State
Nov 7 Texas A&M
Nov 9 Oregon

"The USA Basketball Women's National Team, which announced in July an expanded training program to aid in its pursuit of a seventh consecutive Olympic gold medal, will tip-off its quest for a gold in Tokyo with four games against top 10 ranked NCAA Division I programs. Ticket information for each game can be found at USAB.com/tickets.

Additionally early in 2020 the U.S. will compete in a second series of NCAA games, which will be announced at a later date."

Link for entire 9 Oct 2019 article
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2019/10/wnt-ncaa-november-tour.aspx?fbclid=IwAR01QyR_f3a5wh8lfA6jgaVvkUXdJcsyE8fedu1IifP7gJ9qQLszbNjD2Yo
slimecap
USA 95 @ Stanford 80
Nov 2, 2019

slimecap
USA 81 @ Oregon State 58
Nov 4, 2019

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.