Story Poster
Photo by Todd Nickle
Baylor Women's Basketball

Preview and Game Thread: Lady Bears at UConn

January 9, 2020

Two legendary programs and coaches square off Thursday night on ESPN. Kim Mulkey and Geno Aureiema are first and second in winning percentage over their careers and also active national championships. The game could be a precursor to the Final Four in New Orleans, but that is getting ahead of the game. What this game will show is the weaknesses and strengths of both programs and what it will take to get to New Orleans and possibly take home another title. 

The Lady Bears stumbled without All-American Lauren Cox against #6 South Carolina during a grueling Thanksgiving tournament for their lone loss. Connecticut has remained unbeaten, but also less battle tested by only facing one other ranked opponent, while this will be the fourth for the Lady Bears. 

With Cox’s return, the Lady Bears will have their full assortment of weapons on offense and defense to push UConn and beat them, but they will need to slow 6-1 junior forward Megan Walker (21.0 ppg, 9.4 rebounds), senior guard Crystal Daingerfield (15.0 ppg, 4.4 assists) and 5-11 sophomore guard Christyn Williams (16.3 ppg, 5.2 assists). Look for DiDi Richards to draw the assingment of frustrating Walker. Juicy Landrum and T’ea Cooper will need to take Daingerfield and Williams out of rhythm and force the Huskies to the guard beyond the three point line. 

Inside, Cox will face a talented big in 6-5 Olivia Nelson-Ododa. Nelson-Ododa has struggled recently and look for Baylor to go inside to get Cox and NaLyssa Smith going offensively. UConn is predominantly a guard oriented team, but Nelson-Ododa does score 13 a game. 

The Lady Bear defense holds opponents to 34.4% shooting on the season, while UConn is shooting 55.3% from the field. If the Lady Bears hold UConn under 40%, look for Mulkey to come out the victor to even the series at 4-4. If not, the Huskies will remain the top team in the country and leaving Baylor with more tape to correct the flaws.

How To Watch:

ESPN 6PM CST

Keys To The Game:

Baylor: Guarding the three point line, staying out of foul trouble, pounding the paint on offense and defense

UConn: Guarding the paint, staying out of foul trouble, hitting the three, stopping Baylor breaks

Discussion from...

Preview and Game Thread: Lady Bears at UConn

28,941 Views | 253 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Bearpaws
Heart
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Excited for our Lady Bears! Sic 'Em
Eball
Excited for game and to see that Brian is going to keep up the game thread...it is exhausting to do! My wife and I will be concentrating on the game more so than usual so I doubt I will post a whole lot...I think it could certainly go either way...I hope our defense is just too good for them...tow different teams than last year...I am thinking we win going away in a shocker or we lose a hard fought back and forth at the end.

I just don't see anyone running away from us if we play our defense like we do...I am convinced we were tired when we played USC third game three days without LC and lost. Someone is going to have to beat us at our own game defense or get ridiculously hot from three to beat us. I think we have a better chance of pulling away than they do...We are not as strong scoring inside as last year but we are better at scoring in transition and from the guard position than last year.(or should I say we are just as good as last year but we are utilizing our outside game more)

72-58 Bears win...
MrGolfguy
Just win Ladies!
HoustonBear15
UConn doesn't have much depth in the post. If they can get ONO into foul trouble early, they won't have anyone to stop our bigs.
slimecap
Associate HC Bill Brock discusses the weather and logistics of the game with UConn tonight in Hartford, the quick turnaround after this game to get back into Big 12 play, keys to victory over the Huskies & more on The John Morris Show.

https://www.centexsportsfan.com/episode/bill-brock-1-9-20/
slimecap

DanaDane
The poses in that photo are FIRE!
geewago
Eball said:

Excited for game and to see that Brian is going to keep up the game thread...it is exhausting to do! My wife and I will be concentrating on the game more so than usual so I doubt I will post a whole lot...I think it could certainly go either way...I hope our defense is just too good for them...tow different teams than last year...I am thinking we win going away in a shocker or we lose a hard fought back and forth at the end.

I just don't see anyone running away from us if we play our defense like we do...I am convinced we were tired when we played USC third game three days without LC and lost. Someone is going to have to beat us at our own game defense or get ridiculously hot from three to beat us. I think we have a better chance of pulling away than they do...We are not as strong scoring inside as last year but we are better at scoring in transition and from the guard position than last year.(or should I say we are just as good as last year but we are utilizing our outside game more)

72-58 Bears win...
WOW - UConn will have to play a rather average game if we win by that much. I'll be in cloud nine if we win 59 - 58.
slimecap

DanaDane
Starting off sluggishly on the offensive end.
DanaDane
There is the Lauren that we need tonight! Good shot!
DanaDane
Beautiful assist from Didi to Smith!

Lady Bears lead 6-3
6:42
DanaDane
Juicy is getting schooled by Williams so far. May have to switch Didi.
DanaDane
8-8
4:47
KajunKarlsdad
Cox looks like she's in slow motion on the offensive end.
DanaDane
Feeling bad for Lauren. You can see her struggling to get up and down the court at this pace. Need Cooper to take over and control the pace more.
DanaDane
Moon in; Juicy out

An 8-0 UConn run and they lead 13-8
KajunKarlsdad
Shooting so far is not good.
DanaDane
Good grief, CALM DOWN ladies. We're running no semblance of an offense right now. Just throwing things up with no plays.
DanaDane
Cox from 3!!!!

UConn 13
BU 11

2:24
DanaDane
UConn 16
BU 11

1:17

Timeout
KajunKarlsdad
Good call.
DanaDane
Best player on the court so far is easily Williams.
KajunKarlsdad
Didi with a dumb foul, 2 on her already
DanaDane
Didi with two fouls. This is not good.
KajunKarlsdad
Down 5 end of 1. 18-13.
DanaDane
END OF 1

UConn 18
BU 13

We gotta start running our offense; out of sorts in the 1Q and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from the floor.
geewago
I keep thinking this team has the ability to be as good as last years team by playoff time. But Quarters like this sure make you wonder.
KajunKarlsdad
U Conn doing a good job on defense has a lot to do with it but man our shooting is ugly so far.
DanaDane
geewago said:

I keep thinking this team has the ability to be as good as last years team by playoff time. But Quarters like this sure make you wonder.
PG position has to control flow more. That is what Chloe was very good at.
DanaDane
We're shooting 8% from 3 so far. Yes, you read that correctly -- 8%
DanaDane
THANK YOU! Ursin hits for 3 just after I said that. LOL
DanaDane
UConn 20
Baylor 18

7:51
KajunKarlsdad
Cox has to catch and score on that. Looks like the foot isn't right to me.
slimecap
Caitlin Bickle was cleared by doctor and is available for play.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.