What ram will we be?

7,523 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Mulder
ScottS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Asking for a friend
ScottS
Rank
bearbone11
One spot higher than previously expected, with Oregon falling to Arizona State in the last few minutes. My guess is we will be 3rd, with Oregon State, South Carolina, and Baylor splitting the 1st place votes. Most voters will give South Carolina credit for the head to head win, though it is obvious the lack of Cox was a decisive factor in that one. This is assuming that Oregon State doesn't follow their Duck friends into an Arizona upset.
R11
DanaDane
geewago
Ewe asking about Rams?
WacoKelly83
2 soon to be 1 in the next week or two
slimecap

willtalk
I think this season at least, there might be a difference throughout the season as to who is ranked #1 and who people believe is the best team. Every team is susceptible to being upset this season. That does not even include the ones that will be beaten by equally talented teams. WCBB is starting to look more like the men's side. I think there is nothing wrong with still rewarding unbeatens if they have played at least some quality teams and have a good Massey rating. It will be really difficult to escape unbeaten this season. Baylor has the best chance of all the P5 schools to make it through the season with only one loss. Uconn even being in the AAC still has two games left out of conference that probably will end up in losses. We see what happened already in the Pac 12 to Oregon and almost Oregon St. I don't believe SC is good enough to make it through the SEC unbeaten even as weak as it is this season. I think will might see a lot of two, or perhaps even three-loss one seeds this March.
Hairy Bear
BUbackerinET
I think we will be 3rd, think UCONN slides to 8, both Oregon schools struggled against both Arizona schools - IMO, T8:

South Carolina
Louisville
Baylor
Stanford
Oregon State
Oregon
UCLA
UCONN
Baylorkid
I think Louisville should not be 2! They've struggled in most of their games! They are definitely not a top 5 team
BUbackerinET
Just my opinion, time will show whether that opinion is right or not, if you think I'm wrong, how about you post your T8, and we'll compare Monday...
bearbone11
BUbackerinET said:

I think we will be 3rd, think UCONN slides to 8, both Oregon schools struggled against both Arizona schools - IMO, T8:

South Carolina
Louisville
Baylor
Stanford
Oregon State
Oregon
UCLA
UCONN

Where does Louisville come from? They are ranked lower than Baylor in the current poll and didn't do much to improve that this week. Louisville will probably win the ACC this year, but I don't really see them as a national contender.

Assuming Oregon State wins tomorrow, USCe, Baylor, and Oregon State will be the top 3 in some order, likely with OSU on top due to their undefeated record. I don't think they are even close to being the top team in the country, but the poll politics will probably take over. If it is Oregon State, their tenure at the top will likely be brief, since they have to play Stanford and two games with Oregon before the end of the month. South Carolina, on the other hand, is similar to us in that their conference offers few legitimate challenges. They have a home game with UConn coming up which will likely be their biggest test, but other than that they have a good shot at running the table.
R11
Media Bear
Perhaps this one. The horns are particularly impressive. This one's not to be messed with, much like our Lady Bears:

Hee-hee, hee. Hee-hee, hee. Woo! -- Michael Jackson
A buppa-ba-ba, buppa-buppa-ba. -- Paula Abdul
Say yah-yah-yah. -- John Mellencamp
Ooh-ooh wee-oo ooh-ooh-ooh. -- Mick Jagger/Rolling Stones
De do-do-do. De da-da-da. Is all I want to say to you. -- Sting (Gordon Sumner)/The Police
Ramidi ma-ma ba-di-ma, ramidi ma-ma ba-din-doe. -- David Draiman/Disturbed
C-c-c-c-come on. -- George Michael
People on streets, ee-da-dee-da-dee-da-dee-da -- Freddie Mercury
BUbackerinET
Instead of being critical, how about you post your top 8? But to address your specific question, they beat both Oregon and Kentucky, and their loss was to Ohio State. It's my opinion - maybe I'm wrong - we'll see, in the meantime step up and illustrate your brilliance....
bearbone11
BUbackerinET said:

Instead of being critical, how about you post your top 8? But to address your specific question, they beat both Oregon and Kentucky, and their loss was to Ohio State. It's my opinion - maybe I'm wrong - we'll see, in the meantime step up and illustrate your brilliance....
I may not be clear on this. Are you saying that you personally think Louisville is the 2nd best team? Or that you think the writers will rank Louisville 2nd? If you think Louisville is the 2nd best team, more power to you, I disagree. Keep in mind that Louisville's loss to Ohio State is pretty bad compared to the losses taken by other top 10 teams. They also went to double overtime with a dreadful Tennessee-Martin team.

If you think Louisville will be ranked number 2, then you are just wrong. There is absolutely no chance that Louisville will leap us in the rankings in a week where we defeated #1 UConn by 16 at their place, and Louisville beat 2 middle of the road ACC teams. Won't happen.

This is my guess as to what the poll will look like this week:

Oregon State (assuming they beat Arizona State, which is no guarantee)
South Carolina
Baylor
Stanford
UConn
Louisville
UCLA
Oregon

EDIT: Oregon State was indeed upset, so I adjust my prediction:

South Carolina
Baylor
Stanford
UConn
Louisville
UCLA
Oregon State
Oregon

This is how I personally would vote:

Baylor
South Carolina
UConn
Stanford
Oregon
UCLA
Oregon State
Louisville

R11
Jack Bauer
Down go the Beavers

AP #1,2 and 3 all lose this week.
DanaDane
How do you not put Arizona St in the Top 10? How many teams have wins against the #2 and #3 ranked teams in one weekend or even over the year so far? Can't be many.
Dcheetah
I agree but they have 4 losses. However, with the way the PAC -10 votes, it might happen.
bearbone11
DanaDane said:

How do you not put Arizona St in the Top 10? How many teams have wins against the #2 and #3 ranked teams in one weekend or even over the year so far? Can't be many.
They also have losses to mediocre Purdue and Minnesota teams, and needed overtime to beat dreadful Idaho State. I need to see more than one good weekend before moving them up like that.
R11
blueeyedbear
DanaDane said:

I have been saying it since September - The Arizona schools at home are trap games for Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford and UCLA.
DanaDane
bearbone11 said:

DanaDane said:

They also have losses to mediocre Purdue and Minnesota teams, and needed overtime to beat dreadful Idaho State. I need to see more than one good weekend before moving them up like that.
Most of the pollsters have stated they value big wins over any losses. It's much like the argument for our men's team being #1.
Jack Bauer
Baylor men's and women's basketball should both be in top 2 tomorrow!
DanaDane
I'll try to capture as man of the Western US media's Top 25 votes from Twitter and post them here. I'm gonna be very interested whether they do the correct thing and drop the Oregon schools several spots, or whether they just keep them the same or drop them 1 at most. Either way, we are definitely gonna be #2 now and I suspect a lot of #1 votes as well.
bearbone11
DanaDane said:

bearbone11 said:

DanaDane said:

Most of the pollsters have stated they value big wins over any losses. It's much like the argument for our men's team being #1.
That's usually more from the NCAA committee than the pollsters. The polls like strong records and don't always notice the schedules those records are achieved against. There were no 4-loss teams in the poll this week, so I don't see Arizona State jumping all the way into the top 10. Wouldn't be surprised to jump into the top 15. A pretty impressive week for a team that had 3 votes in the last poll.
R11
Hairy Bear
Baylor will be 1 or 2 with the Oregon State loss. Moving up to a deluxe apartment in the sky.
skilledup
Arizona state beat Oregon state and Oregon in the same week
CavalryRoadie
South Carolina can be #1. Let them deal with the pressure/attention.

If Stanford can get through the next seven days without a loss, they deserve to be #2. As they have to play @ Oregon and @ Oregon State, it would be quite a feat to go without a loss.
BUbackerinET
I think the writers will vote them to that position. Thanks for giving it a shot - let's see what happens.

How can you put South Carolina behind us? They beat us? Wishful thinking methinks on that one (though I'm hopeful too, and this team is now much better than the one that lost to SC, the voters will not recognize this fact).
BUbackerinET
Agree, I'd put them at 9. Hard to put them any higher - previously unranked - that will be very interesting...
DanaDane
BUbackerinET said:

I think the writers will vote them to that position. Thanks for giving it a shot - let's see what happens.

How can you put South Carolina behind us? They beat us? Wishful thinking methinks on that one (though I'm hopeful too, and this team is now much better than the one that lost to SC, the voters will not recognize this fact).
I think those who follow closely may give credence to the fact Lauren was out and vote us #1, but I'm not sure that many voters follow things as closely as what I would expect for the privilege of being chosen to be one who determines the rankings. It's a fair argument to say they should be #1. They will lose eventually in the SEC, so we will be #1 at some point.
blueeyedbear
DanaDane said:

Agreed !! Beating one of them maybe a fluke - beating both in the same week (especially since OSU knew what happened to Oregon coming in) - no fluke there - Very impressive - ASU is for real. I want to see how they did it !! Their stats are not that great and ASU is not a big team height wise. BU staff needs to get those game tapes and assign someone to really break them down and analyze them
BUbackerinET
I think we will get some 1st place votes (from those who are knowledgeable, and true followers) but have zero confidence that they are anywhere close to educated on the real nature of this team
Born_A_Bear
Kim said today that you need to study each time and game to vote/rank teams. We lost to SC without Lauren but no one noticed. I haven't studied the teams so am taking the easy ranking this week plus I think it helps us not to be #1 just yet:

South Carolina
Stanford (and wait to see them fall)
Baylor
Dcheetah
Stanford lost to a not very good Texas team. Can't imagine they would be ranked above us.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.