What ram will we be?

7,525 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Mulder
Eball
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Born_A_Bear said:

Kim said today that you need to study each time and game to vote/rank teams. We lost to SC without Lauren but no one noticed. I haven't studied the teams so am taking the easy ranking this week plus I think it helps us not to be #1 just yet:

South Carolina
Stanford (and wait to see them fall)
Baylor

AP and Coaches poll top three all lost...AP those top three got all the first place votes except 1 to SC...Coaches poll had all first place votes for those three...UCONN had a double digit lead in both polls in terms of first place votes. So it is not unlikely that we get a lot of consideration for beating the number one team in the eyes of a majority of the voters. I think we or SC is number 1...Stanford is likely 3 although perhaps they stay ahead of us. I just don't think they have been as impressive. UCLA will likely jump to 4 or 5 with UL.
UCONN, OSU and Oregon slide back to 6,7 and 8

Best guess taking my preference out of it and trying to guess what the voters will do:

1. SC
2. BU
3. Stanford
4. UL
5. UCLA
6, UCONN
7. OSU
8. Oregon

I could see a split with SC and BU earning a top spot respective polls. I think these 8 teams have shown themselves to be the top 8 so far...I am interested as to where ASU winds up...they were not ranked and have lost 4 games already but those were impressive wins they had against #2 and #3.
BUbackerinET
Agree
bearbone11
One thing that I believe plays in our favor is the publicity that comes specifically from beating UConn. The result made the front page on both ESPN and CBS Sports, which generally doesn't happen except for the championship game. This was the premier women's basketball game of the season thus far, with the highest ratings of the season. Most all women's basketball fans would have tuned in. During the course of the game, I think they mentioned Lauren's injury and return about 15 times, so anyone who watched will know the circumstances of our season. Blowing them out to end their home streak doesn't hurt either, along with being the defending national champs. Some voters will still respect the head-to-head result with South Carolina, but I expect many to understand the situation and give us the nod.
R11
SirBearALot
Stanford should not ever be ranked ahead of us as our loss was to a top 5 team and Stanford lost to an unranked team with 6 losses. Of course it will all take care of it self as the PAC 12 will beat each other up. Weird schedule in PAC12 as each team does not play the other 11 teams twice. That would be 22 games and they only play 18 conference games
airforcebear
geewago said:

Ewe asking about Rams?
Winner, Winner! Chicken Dinner! wonderful!
slimecap
Born_A_Bear said:

Kim said today that you need to study each time and game to vote/rank teams.
We lost to SC without Lauren but no one noticed.
AP Top 25 voter Carl Adamec stated on 10 Jan 2020
"the nation's best defensive player, Baylor's Lauren Cox"
Hopefully, he will factor his statement in when he casts his #1 ranking vote ...
and choose Baylor over South Carolina.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Media Bear said:

Perhaps this one. The horns are particularly impressive. This one's not to be messed with, much like our Lady Bears:

I kinda like this one!

"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
slimecap
,,, and the Winning prediction is

1. South Carolina (20)
2. Baylor (7)
3. Stanford (1)
4. UConn
5. Louisville (2)
6. Oregon
7. UCLA
8. Oregon St.
Jack Bauer
We are #2 ram!
whitetrash
Latest bracketology:

#1 seed in Dallas with 2 seed UCLA, 3 NCSt, and 4 Aggettes (their home loss to a mediocre LSU notwithstanding). If Aggettes are anywhere near a 4 seed or higher we will see them in Dallas.

Other B12 currently in bracket are 5 WV, 10 TCU, 10 OU and 11 Cows. Cows listed as on the bubble.
blackie
I wonder how South Carolina would like to put up their #1 ranking in a game with us right now with Cox back on a neutral court?
Pat Neff
I hope we are Deacon Jones.....

or Merlin Olsen.

No Rosie Grier please.
Mulder
Baylor will be Number One before the end of the month. It's time for USCe to take another loss.
An Objective Fan of The Former Baylor Lady Bears.
historian
Both Baylor teams are #2, which is very good. If they keep winning, both will get to #1 sooner rather than later.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Mulder
While I wish them well, I don't follow the men's team.

Does Coach Drew down play the ranking the same as Coach Mulkey?

In my view, one ought to embrace being on top of the mountain.
You worked hard to get there.
ScottS
Growing up we had a 64k Ram Apple 2 and I cheered for the LA Rams.
historian
Drew is a very different personality. I have not seen him make an issue about rankings but I don't see all of his interviews.
BUbackerinET
That's what I'm talkin about
BuinmyBlood
whitetrash said:

Latest bracketology:

#1 seed in Dallas with 2 seed UCLA, 3 NCSt, and 4 Aggettes (their home loss to a mediocre LSU notwithstanding). If Aggettes are anywhere near a 4 seed or higher we will see them in Dallas.

Other B12 currently in bracket are 5 WV, 10 TCU, 10 OU and 11 Cows. Cows listed as on the bubble.
Man I would take that bracket all day...
bawitdaball
I would hate to be a #1 seed and have Oregon as the #2 - they are beatable but they can also beat ANYONE! Bring on Stanford and UCLA...both are good but we match up very well against both.
historian
blackie said:

I wonder how South Carolina would like to put up their #1 ranking in a game with us right now with Cox back on a neutral court?
We may get the chance in the NCAA tournament like we did last year.
SCspur
To who exactly?
Mulder
To the media or whoever asked about being the number 1/2 ranked team in the country.
Coach Mulkey acts as if rank doesn't matter.
blueeyedbear
Mulder said:

To the media or whoever asked about being the number 1/2 ranked team in the country.
Coach Mulkey acts as if rank doesn't matter.
IT DOSENT !! Until the last poll
Mulder
Gee. . . I don't share your opinion.

Those players work hard to be the best and deserve all the recognition that comes with it.

Every game they should be announced as, The Number One Ranked Team in the Nation, The Defending National Champions, The Baylor Lady Bears!!!
historian
It does matter for the reasons you cite. On the other hand, it does not matter until the end of the season seeding for the tournament. It just depends on how you look at it.

The players deserve the recognition but they are more effective when they focus on things they can control. CMR (football) even admitted after the OU loss in November that they were too distracted looking at the scoreboard. The players are better off if they stay focused: make the next play, win the game that is being played, forget about last week or next week. It worked for the football team: 1-0 each week.
bearbone11
I think most all of our fans understand that the rankings have no real effect on our tournament chances, and that the final poll is the only one that really means anything. However, from a perspective of program prestige and media attention, being number 1 can carry a lot of weight. If things break the right way, there is a very real chance that both the men's and women's teams could be ranked number 1 at the same time in coming weeks, a feat which has only ever been accomplished by UConn to my knowledge. I have to think there would be a lot of positive publicity for the school if that were to happen. This is my reasoning for wanting to be ranked number 1.
R11
historian
bearbone11 said:

I think most all of our fans understand that the rankings have no real effect on our tournament chances, and that the final poll is the only one that really means anything. However, from a perspective of program prestige and media attention, being number 1 can carry a lot of weight. If things break the right way, there is a very real chance that both the men's and women's teams could be ranked number 1 at the same time in coming weeks, a feat which has only ever been accomplished by UConn to my knowledge. I have to think there would be a lot of positive publicity for the school if that were to happen. This is my reasoning for wanting to be ranked number 1.
Agreed.

If both teams continue winning, they should be #1--especially since the #1 teams likely will lose one eventually. It would be even better if they were both #1 and managed to maintain that for several weeks. Ultimately, though, I don't mind if they are both #2 for the rest of the season if they can end it ranked #1.
Mulder
1/20/20

AP Top Rank

NEW YORK -- South Carolina still sits atop The Associated Press women's basketball poll, with Baylor in second place.

The Gamecocks received 22 first-place votes from a 30-member media panel Monday. The Lady Bears got six.
UConn moved up to third after previous No. 3 Stanford lost to Oregon by 32 points. The Ducks moved up to No. 4. Louisville was fifth, sandwiched between Oregon and Stanford. Louisville received the other two first-place votes.

Oregon State, North Carolina State, Mississippi State and UCLA rounded out the top 10.

AP Top Rank
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.