Story Poster
Photo by © Mark D. Smith-USA Today
Baylor Women's Basketball

Death, Taxes, and Kim Mulkey Winning

February 18, 2020

Throughout her history, Kim Mulkey has been a winner. As a little leaguer, as a high school player, as a college player, as an Olympian, as an assistant coach, and at Baylor, a head coach. Tuesday night she cemented her career in history as the fastest college basketball coach to reach 600 wins in a career. All those famous and revered names passed by a winner from Tickfaw, Lousiana. Adolph Rupp, Geno Auriemma, Jerry Tarkanian, Pat Summit, Roy Williams, you name them and Kim Mulkey sits above them all.

Tuesday night, following a 77-62 win at Texas Tech, Mulkey was hoisted in the air by her team, but she quickly pointed out how they were the reason for her winning. Since 2000, Mulkey racked up 600 wins to 100 losses. She has never won less 21 games, which was in her first season, and has won 30 or more since 2010. 

Imagine if Baylor had not taken that leap of faith in 2000. Now realize how special the program is now and will be.

Discussion from...

Death, Taxes, and Kim Mulkey Winning

4,613 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BearFan33
BU71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BU71
Very well said, we won't see her like again anytime soon, if ever
jdkingbear
Good article! And by the way, OurDailyBears didn't even mention it. In fact, they rarely cover women's sports well. I gather their level of testosterone just gets in the way. Sad.

At any rate, thanks Sicem365, for being honest and thorough.
jdkingbear
Shakesbear
No doubt she's special!!! Keep on keep'in on Kim
Retreat Hell! We just got here! The 2/5
Baylor Dad in Va.
Before Kim, I never watched a Baylor women's basketball game, and my only acknowledgement of the women was to occasionally look at the SWC or Big12 standings in the newspaper and see them at the middle or bottom of the pack. All that gradually changed when Kim Mulkey became the Baylor coach. I took notice and was delighted when Kim immediately took that last place team from the previous year and made the NCAA tournament. BUT, I still never watched women's basketball until Kim Mulkey had her first championship year. I started following Baylor women that season, halfway through the season, and have followed the Lady Bears ever since. Now, both my wife and I never miss a game that is available on TV if we can help it.

Kim and her teams are a delight to watch. We love Kim's coaching style, and the way that her teams play. Kim is one mighty fine coach. There is none better in the USA in my opinion.
BUVA
Baylor Dad in Va. said:

Before Kim, I never watched a Baylor women's basketball game, and my only acknowledgement of the women was to occasionally look at the SWC or Big12 standings in the newspaper and see them at the middle or bottom of the pack. All that gradually changed when Kim Mulkey became the Baylor coach. I took notice and was delighted when Kim immediately took that last place team from the previous year and made the NCAA tournament. BUT, I still never watched women's basketball until Kim Mulkey had her first championship year. I started following Baylor women that season, halfway through the season, and have followed the Lady Bears ever since. Now, both my wife and I never miss a game that is available on TV if we can help it.

Kim and her teams are a delight to watch. We love Kim's coaching style, and the way that her teams play. Kim is one mighty fine coach. There is none better in the USA in my opinion.

I was living in New Orleans when they won the NC in 2005, and just heard about them when they beat LSU in the NCAA tourney. I didn't start watching until Griner's freshman year. Have rarely missed a game since then!
setshot
I was a casual fan of the women's game, though I usually watched the NCAA Women's Tournament games. A good friend became an early devotee of the Lady Bears, particularly when Kim Mulkey arrived, so on a visit to Waco I ventured out to watch a practice. The combination of Coach Mulkey and her prize recruit, Sheila Lambert, changed my outlook dramatically. Both the coach and the player were of the highest quality, even then.

Over the years I have tried to watch as many Lady Bear games as possible, and rarely miss going up to Baylor to watch a practice or two on my semi-annual visits. Along the way I have picked up a few friendships that I highly value. The men's game has always been a must-watch for me, and to see the growth of Scott Drew and the steady ascent of his program has given me a great deal of satisfaction.

Only those who have gone through the long years in the wilderness of collegiate basketball can grasp the magnitude of what we are seeing this year. At this juncture I have no idea of how this will eventually appear in retrospect, but right now it is a fantastic ride in the rodeo of life and I am grateful to be around to see it.
historian
Nice twist to the old Ben Franklin quote and a great article. Coach Mulkey certainly has made Baylor WBB interesting!
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Johnny Bear
Why we don't already have a statue of her outside the Ferrell is beyond me (unless if for some reason she has personally been opposed to it). Of course at this point we might as well wait to erect it outside the new bball facility when we finally do put one up.
historian
Johnny Bear said:

Why we don't already have a statue of her outside the Ferrell is beyond me (unless if for some reason she has personally been opposed to it). Of course at this point we might as well wait to erect it outside the new bball facility when we finally do put one up.
It would be appropriate to have a Kim Mulkey statue at the entrance to the Kim Mulkey Basketball Pavilion.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
BearFan33
I followed all BU sports after I graduated and would follow WBB as best I could (mainly by reviewing info on new players and box scores). Games were almost never on TV. Bowers (SP?) wasn't very good and we were usually at or near the bottom. We started showing life when Hogg took over and even made an NIT or two. But Hogg's greatest help to BU was lining up her successor.....Kim!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.